Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:23 pm 

Inspired by the recent and short-lived "disabilities" thread, I decided to make a thread for a wider range of discussion, as I think the other one had some real potential for excellent discussion, if it wasn't derailed so quickly by, for-lack-of-a-better-term, douchebags. So here we can discuss mental illness, at what point it becomes a disability, the effectiveness of mental health programs, the role mental health plays in tragedies such as the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, etc.

Let the discussion begin.

EDIT 12-29: Any disability counts as well, even if it's physical and not mental.

Last edited by Slaytanic55 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:55 am 

i think mental illness becomes a disability when it stops you living your life, for example there are people who struggle to leave their room but it definitely is a grey area, mental illness has a horrid history in terms of treatment but is getting way better its still got a while to go but its being focused on more

i think in Australia there is something like 180 attempted suicides every single day so it is a massive problem also stigma of mental illness is very slowly reducing too which helps obviously

i been studying mental health for about 1 year so i got an alright amount of knowledge on it

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:17 am 

Yeah I think the stigma is there, but slowly receding. For example, I know my Father has some sort of mental health issue, but his parents always deny it. When he was young, they just covered their ears and yelled "no son of MINE is crazy!" So I think there is definite work to be done as far as people acknowledging when something is wrong. Now news is surfacing that Lanza's Mother tried to keep his issues a secret, and that obviously didn't work out very well. In the modern age, people NEED to acknowledge when something is wrong, escpecially when there's a potential for violence.

What are/did you major in to be studying mental illness, by the way?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 am 

I have depression and anxiety, so mental health is something I'm interested in.

I've been going to therapy for a little over a year now. While I'm seeing some benefits, it's not really enough. I am, admittedly, not as bad as other people I know (my mother has agoraphobia, for example), but it's just enough to be a drag.

Mental illness is getting more recognition and acceptance these days, but there's still people out there that deny its existence. My belief is that it's something nobody can see: a physical injury usually bears a scar or a cut, but mental illness doesn't.

Anyway, I could ramble on, but I won't. Studying mental health or getting into psychology of some sort would be a great future career path.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:31 am 

i have depression and anxiety too but its not too bad it can be a pain though, i usually dont try to explain this but i do that course at tafe which is kinda like uni but easier and doesnt require many qualifications to get into a course, so i got to study mental health through tafe

at least some of the stigma is going but its scary how strong the mind is, fascinating though and thanks it could be a good career path there are many different branches in terms of my course so who knows where it will go

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:13 am 

I thought this was about physical disability too? or?

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 am 

iloveblackmetal wrote:

Maybe no one wants to talk about that yet. Be patient.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:21 am 

no im just wondering cuz i started that thread

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:33 am 

I have schitzophrenia. Okay, at first I was diagnosed with psychotic depression, but those two illnesses are not so far from each other anyway. I've had in total three psychoses over the years. It really is a miserable state of mind. You lose your grip to reality, start to think wretched things, become superstitious, live your life inside your head, can't sleep et cetera. Or atleast it was like that for me. I also, for some odd reason, began to fear the moon.

I also tried to kill myself one time. That was a really bad decision at my part, but I survived and am better now.

I see this illness as some kind of a chameleon. It changes its form depending on what kind of a life you are living, but it never goes away. With proper medication and living a socially active life it can be controlled though.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:05 am 

Schizophrenia sounds awful. I don't have that but it doesn't sound pleasant, especially when you have irrational thoughts and fears associated with it (like fearing the moon).

Good to hear you are better now. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:16 am 

Well, thank you very much :D It is really possible to live with this thing, believe it or not. How I got it is a long-ass and mostly complicated story, so I guess I spare you from that. In the end, with all these mental illnessess, it all comes down to fear of death and not being able to deal with it in a sensible way.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 am 

Schizophrenia sounds terrible, I'm sorry to hear you have it. Mental illness comes down to not being able to function as an individual to the point of it affecting your career and relationships with other and when that and your illness cause distress. Deviance is also important, but behaviour could be wildly outside of social norms but it's not going to mean anything unless it's hindering you. I believe those are the factors used for clinical diagnosis. If you ask me, not being able to deal with the problem leads to a whole lot of other problems, including feeling like your illness will never allow you to be properly accepted by society, that you'll always be labelled as mentally ill by the wider view of society and that you'll always be some type of demented outcast.

I've been diagnosed with mild Tourette's Syndrome and cluttering, which is a speech disorder but from my interpretation of the disease has origins in the brain, and may have sub-depressive and hypomanic episodes. The Tourette's isn't bad enough that I'm stereotypically shouting obscenities at people, but is bad enough that I have to keep moving otherwise the ticking goes to my face. It is literally impossible for me to sit still without feeling stress, but I manage to turn the energy into something useful like playing air guitar. It's manageable but it's extremely frustrating since my managements for the movement often make me appear cold, unapproachable and often weird. Especially when I start ticking in the face.

Cluttering, I like to explain, is like the opposite of stuttering; instead of knowing what to say but getting stuck on syllables, I can say what's on my mind but can't construct sentences properly in my head, my thoughts are largely disorganised and racing so I speak very fast to get everything out. There's not many videos to demonstrate that on the internet, but even if you purposely slowed down your speech, it would just keep getting faster and faster until you stop speaking because you haven't finished completing the sentence you were saying on your head. In my case I start at the beginning of the sentence to stall time. I used to have speech therapy for it but for some reason they stopped organising sessions with me five months ago. I've tried slowing down my speech but there's still a lot more that needs help. Since my speech is poorly organised, I dislike speaking on the principle that I'll mess what I say and for that reason people will find another reason to think I'm unapproachable and weird, although that'll happen whether I open my mouth or not.

I tend to have sub-depressive and hypomanic episodes, but I cannot be sure since those were not officially diagnosed. I have a thyroid condition which from my study wreaks havoc on my brain chemistry and throws off my mood. I believe this condition is the reason I have cluttering but no studies from my recollection have been done to show a link between thyroid hormones and cluttering. I wouldn't think so since cluttering is hardly recognised as a disease anyway. You may have noticed that I write in a fairly paranoid, despondent tone. Again, I think this might be because of the condition exacerbating these traits but I cannot be sure of that and that it's a personality thing. From all the (heritable) illnesses I have, it seems like I'm a walking museum of genetic abnormality, but I won't explain why this might be why.

I guess like most people with mental disorders, I believe more research funding should be put into mental illness and its neurological origins so that the problems can be fixed without people having to suffer through it. Ironically enough, I've been studying psychology for the past year and plan on doing a major in brain stuff. Thinking I'm knowledgeable on the subject feels nice for the self, but it's only the first year and that's just the beginning. But figures, a guy with all of these things wrong with his brain doing things about the brain. Or not, I don't know too much on the people who major in brain stuff. All I can do is get the learning done without my disorders interfering too much.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:54 am 

Well, Tourettes syndrome really sounds like an interesting disease, and I don't mean that in any bad way. I have some kind of a speaking failure myself. I slur when I try to form sentences. I think it has something to do with misuse of medicine and alcohol.

I might be out of my head here, but it usually takes a more gifted and more sensitive man/woman to develop these kind of illnessess. I've had time in some psychiatric hospitals and met people who are extraordinarily gifted in writing/painting/whatever fields. Of course there were some cases that were just incurable, but I can't for the love of me even guess how much potential goes wasted in those places.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 pm 

I've been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety problems. Since my early teens I had problems with that, but I always refused help. It got worse as the time passed, and only after throughly shitting all over my life I reluctantly accepted to seek treatment. Therapy isn't really helping, and although taking meds is, I don't like the idea of having the chug down six anti-depressives and mood stabilizers a day for an undefined amount of time to function somewhat properly.

My family has a long history of depressive disorders. It helps that people around me aren't totally ignorant about the stuff.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:14 pm 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
Cluttering, I like to explain, is like the opposite of stuttering; instead of knowing what to say but getting stuck on syllables, I can say what's on my mind but can't construct sentences properly in my head, my thoughts are largely disorganised and racing so I speak very fast to get everything out. There's not many videos to demonstrate that on the internet, but even if you purposely slowed down your speech, it would just keep getting faster and faster until you stop speaking because you haven't finished completing the sentence you were saying on your head. In my case I start at the beginning of the sentence to stall time. I used to have speech therapy for it but for some reason they stopped organising sessions with me five months ago. I've tried slowing down my speech but there's still a lot more that needs help. Since my speech is poorly organised, I dislike speaking on the principle that I'll mess what I say and for that reason people will find another reason to think I'm unapproachable and weird, although that'll happen whether I open my mouth or not.

I've never heard of cluttering. I used to know a guy at school with a stutter, but I knew that was a little different to what you have. At least there's a name for it. Why were the speech lessons stopped? Do you want to go back?

Marag wrote:
I don't like the idea of having the chug down six anti-depressives and mood stabilizers a day for an undefined amount of time to function somewhat properly.

That's understandable, but sometimes unavoidable.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 pm 

Marag wrote:
I've been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety problems. Since my early teens I had problems with that, but I always refused help. It got worse as the time passed, and only after throughly shitting all over my life I reluctantly accepted to seek treatment. Therapy isn't really helping, and although taking meds is, I don't like the idea of having the chug down six anti-depressives and mood stabilizers a day for an undefined amount of time to function somewhat properly.

My family has a long history of depressive disorders. It helps that people around me aren't totally ignorant about the stuff.

Pretty much with you and MikeyC here. Went through some severe major depression back when I was ~18, and now I've been battling really bad anxiety for the last three years or so. Very long history of all this stuff with my mom and her family and she's got all kinds of problems like anemia, thyroid issues, etc.

For me I don't think it's social anxiety, I work full time and function, go out and can get by fine. But rather stress just completely rules my life and I have had a few minor panic attacks this year and last, and I just can't manage my emotions/stress at all anymore.

I've probably developed some hypochondria too though over the years, through her and just myself researching way too much. Time and time again my checkups come out good, even had an MRI recently which came out fine. But I got my vision checked out and it appears I need glasses, so I hope that helps with some stuff. I also had an ear infection that passed over... it felt like I've been battling hypertension, migraines, blurry vision, and dizziness / loss of balance this entire year and everything just keeps getting worse. Could just be tons of stress, but who knows.

Therapy can help, even though the guy I saw when I was 18 fucking sucked and I used to be totally against it, but I might consider it again sometime soon since I'm more open to it now and just understand you have to find the right person.

When it comes to meds I've done them all. Tried like 5 SSRI's until Paxil helped in 2008 or something (my worst year). But since then, I've never wanted to touch these fuckers again. I still don't condemn them to anyone else, it can help, but they're scary as shit too. Since then I've been on benzos, stimulants, and all kind of stuff off and on.

In the end, for me personally (and this might interest others with depression/anxiety), I think I'm going to try to go full on treating ADD. My mom and sister have it, I took adderall in 2010 for classes and it helped a lot, along with boosting my mood, pushing the anxiety away, and I felt like I was alive again. But I had terrible side effects, though I never took it more than like twice a week... so next up in 2013, I'm going to try to get back on them and take them full time to see if that helps and if my body will adjust to the meds and the side effects will subside. That or I guess there's an XR type out there. I've never been abusive with drugs, but yeah I can see how this is a controlled substance. But I'm glad it's something that is in and out of your system right away. But yeah supposedly people with adult ADD are 10x more at risk for other disorders or something. I was diagnosed with it and so, perhaps it's the major thing for me that needs to be treated. Some symptoms don't match up at all, but many of them do. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Be very very weary of xanax. Seriously people (preaching to myself since I've been taking it regularly again this year for the second time). The withdrawal even on the smallest of doses is absolutely insane. I was on it this time last year and quit around January for a few months, but the withdrawal took about a month or so. I had night terrors, was extremely irritable, and over the weekend when I went cold turkey I felt completely out of my body and just other indescribable things, and I was just fucking taking like .5 mg, the smallest dose possible basically. People say long time use of xanax can mess you up for good with memory issues and if the withdrawal was that bad on a low dose, I can't imagine how it can possibly be worse.

So anyways yeah, I'm no expert and my experiences with all this stuff are my own, and I'm no testament to this theory, but anyways if you guys have depression/anxiety and can't figure things out, maybe consider trying to treat ADD/ADHD and see if that does something. Worth a shot perhaps.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:48 pm 

doesnt anybody here have a physical disability im starting to feel very fucking alone löl.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:59 pm 

That was a very interesting story, Xeogred. I remember you talking about it a few years back and it's kind of depressing that you're still struggling. I wish you the best. Same goes for the rest of you guys. I've had anxiety and depression for years now. I don't really go through ups and downs with the depression, as it's fairly constant, but I've gone through periods of time where the anxiety becomes really intense and I have to withdraw socially. It runs in the family, you see. Recently, for example, I've been on Amytriptilmine for about 3 months and went out maybe once a week at best. It didn't help at all except for sleep so I'm in the process of getting off. It's a real pain, but I'm forcing myself to go out more. We all know that socializing is important for mental health, but sometimes we find it difficult. I definitely feel like the social stigma is not falling away as much as some of you think. In my experience, I've achieved almost no understanding from others when I try to explain myself so I just don't anymore. I've received such legendary wisdom as ''just be happy'' and ''you don't HAVE to be so neurotic, just relax''. I was hesitating even typing out this post, but I figured fuck it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited by Necroticism174 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm 

@iloveblackmetal
MalignantThrone wrote:
iloveblackmetal wrote:

Maybe no one wants to talk about that yet. Be patient.

This. It's the 2nd time you say that in this thread. Stop, please. Maybe we have no else with a physical disability or no one is comfortable talking about it. Also, instead of writing inane comments, you should perhaps describe your condition if you want other people to mention theirs...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:16 pm 

If you actually meet me in real life, I slur my words a lot, talk low, mix up my words, and do the same shit over and over again. Are those symptoms of autism, because I think that is the closest I've come so far in my self-diagnosis.

Last edited by oogboog on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:23 pm 

Autism spectrum disorder runs in my immediate family. I have Asperger's and two of my brothers are full on autistic. I'm about as high functioning as one can get with Asperger's, although traits of it still come through in my overall personality, such as my lack of interest in socializing with most people and being very set on one specific thing to the detriment of other things. My brothers on the other hand are low functioning, cannot form sentences, one of them can't even say words, and they both just kinda live in their own worlds at times. They recognize who I am and those within the family are, as well as other people they interact with daily such as schoolteachers and whatnot, but aside from that they really won't pay much attention to other people. My brothers are respectively 14 and 9, but they have the mannerisms and mental capacity a child aged 4 or 5. The younger one is also very small for his age height wise, as he is about the same height now as he was 5 years ago. It's definitely very hard at times, although I wouldn't change them to be "normal" ever. I'm insanely defensive about them and my own disorder, even if I joke about my personality quirks a lot. It's why I get blood boilingly pissed when I see people say that stuff like vaccines cause autism. They have zero fucking clue what they're talking about and they are actually killing kids by convincing other parents not to vaccinate their children.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:39 pm 

Subrick wrote:
such as my lack of interest in socializing with most people and being very set on one specific thing to the detriment of other things.

That sounds a little bit like me. Although I do love to have discussions with anyone about pretty much everything. When it comes to small talk however....ugh, it just seems to be so useless. Ofcourse it's not useless because small talk is a great way to meet new people, but I just can't seem to get myself to enjoy it. I'm also horrible at multitasking, and I only have a couple of real interests that cause me to forget everything else that has to be done. I have never been diagnosed with any sort of disorder, aspergers or otherwise, but my best friend has a light form of aspergers, and our minds seem to work pretty much the same.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:40 pm 

That's understandable, Subrick. It's hard enough that there's a perpetual stigma attached to certain things without even more idiocy from mainstream religious sects and self-righteous, idiotic former porn stars shitting all over everything with their easily disproved pseudo-science.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:52 pm 

I have no mental disabilities to speak of whatsoever (I have a certain tendency towards depression and less interest in social interaction than most people, but that's the result of my own machinations more than anything). My grandmother has bipolar disorder though, and since I started to understand how the illness works, I've always had this latent fear that either my mother, one of my brothers, or hell, even I might have it. As long as you take your meds you should be okay, but it can seriously fuck you up, not to mention the stress you can put other people through while going through an episode.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:07 pm 

I find it interesting that so many of the regular posters describe themselves as struggling with social anxiety. In my case the MA forums are at least partly a way to compensate for my lack of social interaction with fellow metalheads IRL, consequence of my isolation since finishing secondary school and being sundered from my long-time friends.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:15 pm 

I guess you could say that metal tends to attract people with similar mindsets and thus, some common problems, but that's an entirely different topic and not pertinent to the discussion at hand.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:31 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
That was a very interesting story, Xeogred. I remember you talking about it a few years back and it's kind of depressing that you're still struggling. I wish you the best. Same goes for the rest of you guys. I've had anxiety and depression for years now. I don't really go through ups and downs with the depression, as it's fairly constant, but I've gone through periods of time where the anxiety becomes really intense and I have to withdraw socially. It runs in the family, you see. Recently, for example, I've been on Amytriptilmine for about 3 months and went out maybe once a week at best. It didn't help at all except for sleep so I'm in the process of getting off. It's a real pain, but I'm forcing myself to go out more. We all know that socializing is important for mental health, but sometimes we find it difficult. I definitely feel like the social stigma is not falling away as much as some of you think. In my experience, I've achieved almost no understanding from others when I try to explain myself so I just don't anymore. I've received such legendary wisdom as ''just be happy'' and ''you don't HAVE to be so neurotic, just relax''. I was hesitating even typing out this post, but I figured fuck it.

Yeah thanks. It just scares me to think if SSRI's cause all the stuff I feel now, since I've just read into one too many horror stories about them over the years. I'm not down in the dumps like I was years ago, but now I just can't control stress at all and have pretty bad constant upper muscle tension I can't seem to figure out. Things are alright but could be better for sure.

As you said it's definitely best to fight it and overcome your fears and get out often if seclusion is the issue. But yeah, I can totally relate that these issues aren't magic and when someone just tells you to "forget about it" or other dumb stuff like you mentioned, it doesn't really help at all. Always been an issue for me as well since there's just nobody I really know in person that I can completely open up too without wasting my time.

Xlxlx wrote:
I have no mental disabilities to speak of whatsoever (I have a certain tendency towards depression and less interest in social interaction than most people, but that's the result of my own machinations more than anything). My grandmother has bipolar disorder though, and since I started to understand how the illness works, I've always had this latent fear that either my mother, one of my brothers, or hell, even I might have it. As long as you take your meds you should be okay, but it can seriously fuck you up, not to mention the stress you can put other people through while going through an episode.

Bipolar disorder is definitely extremely scary. My mom's always told me some stories about her growing up and it wasn't until a few years ago when my grandpa passed away that my grandma had a real serious episode, and in the 20+ years she's been in my life I had never seen that side of her. We somewhat had to be there for her but at the same time did not feel safe at all and almost sent her away a few times, I almost stood up for the family too and was about to scream at her at one point and tell her we were leaving, but my mom thinks it's best that never happened because of the fear of our grandma driving at the time would've been bad. It was very hard on my mom since it was just a flashback to her childhood and brought up a lot of bad times for her, so much in that you could tell she accepted it too easily like it was natural... when my dad and I didn't want to interact with my grandma at ALL during that time and just didn't feel safe one bit. It doesn't help that she's extremely religious too, so it was just insane.

She's perfectly back to normal now and on her meds, but yeah that was one of the weirdest experiences of my life for sure and so I hope you and others never have to see that side of someone. They can't help it, but sometimes they need to be handled and you have to keep your distance or something.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:55 pm 

This. It's the 2nd time you say that in this thread. Stop, please. Maybe we have no else with a physical disability or no one is comfortable talking about it. Also, instead of writing inane comments, you should perhaps describe your condition if you want other people to mention theirs...[/quote]

Fine, I have a muscle disorder that makes me weak. It cant be cured. Most of the time its "okay" but im never "normal" sometimes its even so bad that i cant move at all. Its very rare. I dont want to say what it is cuz it would be easy to identify me. And to be fair when is started the disability thread i meant everybody who has a disability not just a mental disability. sorry if i offended anybody. And actually i discribed my condition in that thread

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:58 pm 

I seriously appreciate your good wishes, Xeo. Sadly though, I have already seen my grandma going through bipolar episodes more than once (she lived with us for a good part of my childhood, and still babysits my brothers), and it was terrifying. I perfectly understand that it wasn't her fault, but it was still a scary sight to behold. The most particularly jarring occassion was when she appeared to be perfectly okay, as in, it was a normal day for her. My mother was in another state with her husband and my youngest brother, while the other one was at my old man's, and my grandmother was staying at our house. I had to go downtown to do some errands, which took a couple of hours. I said goodbye to her, and went on my way. Then, when I came back a few hours later, the inside of the house looked like a war had taken place inside of it (you simply can't imagine the mess), and my grandma was sitting in a corner, clutching a knife. After managing to convince her to let go of the knife (and I can assure you my heart almost skipped a couple of bits during the ensuing conversation/negotiation) and to go outside, I immediately called my mother to ask her what the fuck I should do.

Long story short, she recovered, but I'll never forget that. It was a seriously bad experience to deal with my grandma while she was stuck in that state of mind.

EDIT: I hadn't read your story, Xeo. Cool of you to share that, seriously.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:58 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Autism spectrum disorder runs in my immediate family. I have Asperger's and two of my brothers are full on autistic. I'm about as high functioning as one can get with Asperger's, although traits of it still come through in my overall personality, such as my lack of interest in socializing with most people and being very set on one specific thing to the detriment of other things. My brothers on the other hand are low functioning, cannot form sentences, one of them can't even say words, and they both just kinda live in their own worlds at times. They recognize who I am and those within the family are, as well as other people they interact with daily such as schoolteachers and whatnot, but aside from that they really won't pay much attention to other people. My brothers are respectively 14 and 9, but they have the mannerisms and mental capacity a child aged 4 or 5. The younger one is also very small for his age height wise, as he is about the same height now as he was 5 years ago. It's definitely very hard at times, although I wouldn't change them to be "normal" ever. I'm insanely defensive about them and my own disorder, even if I joke about my personality quirks a lot. It's why I get blood boilingly pissed when I see people say that stuff like vaccines cause autism. They have zero fucking clue what they're talking about and they are actually killing kids by convincing other parents not to vaccinate their children.

Wow, that's intense, man. Asperger's can be quite debilitating if it's an extreme case, like with your brothers. Are they getting treatment? Can they be treated?

My friend has Asperger's, but he is doing really well these days. He still prefers his own company, but he's got a girlfriend and interacts a lot more, so he's improving out of sight.

Xeogred: Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you've been through a lot.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:53 pm 

If it counts, I seem to have some minor physical disorder which causes me to shake a lot. I'm generally unable to hold things steady; people sometimes assume I'm nervous because I appear to be shaking heavily when holding anything like a phone or a piece of paper or whatever. I think it may be related to poor circulation, as my arms fall asleep really easily if they're under a pillow when I go to sleep, and my pinky toe just falls asleep randomly almost every day.
Hehe, foreskins.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:56 pm 

Crick wrote:
If it counts, I seem to have some minor physical disorder which causes me to shake a lot. I'm generally unable to hold things steady; people sometimes assume I'm nervous because I appear to be shaking heavily when holding anything like a phone or a piece of paper or whatever. I think it may be related to poor circulation, as my arms fall asleep really easily if they're under a pillow when I go to sleep, and my pinky toe just falls asleep randomly almost every day.

I think what you're experiencing is Gargoyle withdrawals. :P

I'm not sure what that could be. Probably just poor circulation. Is there any pain? Maybe you've got a pinched nerve somewhere.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:00 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I'm not sure what that could be. Probably just poor circulation. Is there any pain? Maybe you've got a pinched nerve somewhere.

Nah, no pain or anything. Like I said, likely just poor circulation. Im not sure if there's anything I can do to improve it. I've heard it may be related to my weight, as I'm quite small for my height. I eat all day though, it's not like I'm seeing side-effects of anorexia.
Hehe, foreskins.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:17 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:

I've never heard of cluttering. I used to know a guy at school with a stutter, but I knew that was a little different to what you have. At least there's a name for it. Why were the speech lessons stopped? Do you want to go back?

It's not too common a disorder compared to its counterpart stuttering. I didn't know about it until I was diagnosed with it. As for the lessons, they stopped it when I asked to change the sessions to a different day to work around my uni schedule. They agreed to change the day but I haven't heard anything since, and that was in July. And yes, I would like to go back. From where the sessions ended, while I still had a while to go before my cluttering could be controlled it felt like we were starting to work around my speech problem and moving into how to socialise better, since I made this clear to my speech pathologist. Luck, I guess...

As for stigma towards mental illness, I know how it feels. Telling someone you have Tourette's is pretty much saying to them that even though you have little control over it, you're still an idiot and the butt of all mental illness jokes. Even if I manage to befriend a person and remain contacts for a while, I have to explain at length what my variation of the disorder is when I tell them I have Tourette's Syndrome. It's all because of the mainstream interpretations of the disease, thinking that all people with Tourette's are going to shout profanities at them, even though that is a very extreme form of the disorder. And also because of entertainment, ranging from the hilarious South Park to the very unhilarious Tourette's Guy, who from my viewing is just a very angry man. I will admit it does give me a giggle seeing some of the extreme cases using a strange string of swears, but it's a very sick form of humour.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:39 am 

MikeyC wrote:
[
Wow, that's intense, man. Asperger's can be quite debilitating if it's an extreme case, like with your brothers. Are they getting treatment? Can they be treated?

They really can't be. Despite their significant low functioning behaviors, however, they are both savant-like at certain things. The older one is very much a reader, albeit of basic children's picture books, and will just read them for hours on end, as well as being a wizard with his Android tablet. The younger one is very internet adept and good at video games, and will also partake in those activities for hours at a time with no sign of stopping. I myself have savant-like qualities when it comes to just being able to focus on one specific thing and go as far as I can with it in as short an amount of time as I can. I think that's why I was able to get to where I am with drumming now after only 4 years of playing; I'd just sit upstairs and play for hour after hour until I could barely walk. On the other hand, this has led to me just not giving a flying fuck about a lot of other things, such as learning to drive (although I do believe my accident from a couple years ago was a big factor in my fear of driving) or becoming more of a social person outside of the internet and the few people I interact with on a daily basis in real life outside the family. I've only just started to break these habits in the last couple years or so.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:46 am 

Subrick wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
[

They really can't be. Despite their significant low functioning behaviors, however, they are both savant-like at certain things. The older one is very much a reader, albeit of basic children's picture books, and will just read them for hours on end, as well as being a wizard with his Android tablet. The younger one is very internet adept and good at video games, and will also partake in those activities for hours at a time with no sign of stopping. I myself have savant-like qualities when it comes to just being able to focus on one specific thing and go as far as I can with it in as short an amount of time as I can. I think that's why I was able to get to where I am with drumming now after only 4 years of playing; I'd just sit upstairs and play for hour after hour until I could barely walk. On the other hand, this has led to me just not giving a flying fuck about a lot of other things, such as learning to drive (although I do believe my accident from a couple years ago was a big factor in my fear of driving) or becoming more of a social person outside of the internet and the few people I interact with on a daily basis in real life outside the family. I've only just started to break these habits in the last couple years or so.

Yeah, my friend focuses on one thing (in his case it's our band) and not much else. He has a job but practically all his money is invested in the band. Much like you and your brothers with your obsessions.

That's great that you're breaking out of it. I can imagine it's very difficult to do so. And once you do, you'll be a complete master at the drums (if you're not already - which you are; I've seen your videos). Driving is quite easy and if an idiot like me can pick it up, you will be fine.

Sounds like you're on the right path to breaking free, or at least controlling, your Asperger's.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:11 pm 

What kind of medicine you guys are eating? I don't know if their names are the same in other countries, but I got Zyprexa (does seemingly nothing, but collects liquid in my body so I'm kind of fatter now than what I used to be), which I've been eating for 5 years. Then I got Cipralex which is good, as it balances the effect of Leponex, which causes severe tiredness. Leponex is kind of a last solution for schitzophrenia. If it ceases to work, the next stop is propably cemetery. Or so I've heard.

Well if the names aren't the same, then just ingnore this.

Would also be interesting to hear what you think about medicine use in general. Is it something inevitable or a scheme played by big drug companies? And what about the usage of placebos?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:02 pm 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
Leponex is kind of a last solution for schitzophrenia. If it ceases to work, the next stop is propably cemetery. Or so I've heard.

Shit man

I'm currently taking Venlafaxine and Bupropion for depression, Sodium Divalproate as a mood stabilizer, and Clonazepam as anxyolitic and to counter the insomnia the last two cause.

About the medicine use, I'm not educated about the subject, but since I'm directly involved in it, I'll say what I think. It's probably inevitable. I don't think you can properly treat most of the mental disorders without resorting to some kind of medicine, and not with just "light" stuff either. But the drug industry is an industry, and they are not above their own benefit over the well being of those who use their products. I think too many people blindly trust medicines, and readily takes whatever it's offered to them. Like those parents who sshove Ritalin at their kids without having any real need to do so.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:22 pm 

Yeah, I agree. If it wasn't for medicine, I would not propably even be here. They really are needed in some cases.

Also agree on that that the medicines are only a part of the treatment. If you don't try to live active and healthy life and strive to get better mentally, then you're pretty much fucked.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:31 pm 

I took anti-depressants (can't remember what kind) about 2 years ago to combat my social phobia and anxiety. Oddly enough, they made me depressed. For some reason I was desperate for human contact and companionship while on them and, since I have no one, was miserable. So I stopped taking them then suddenly stopped giving a fuck about dying alone.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next