Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:17 pm 

Strange request, but I love to discover bands (preferably some style of BM) with extensive discographies that have been releasing albums since the mid nineties and are still active today. Ideally, the band would have evolved or had different chapters of sound or style in their history.

Two shining examples of bands that started in the second wave and have been evolving and progressing with each release, and are still relevant today, are Enslaved and Blut aus Nord.

Thanks again all.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:26 pm 

They've only got six albums out,but Dark Fortress fit the bill with evolving their sound from one album to the next. Enslaved and darkthrone are the other really obvious ones I thought of that I am sure that you know, especially as you mentioned Enslaved :p

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:49 pm 

Immortal fit. Primitive roots, leading to a thrashier and more epic sound.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:16 am 

Arckanum...

Also, Graveland, although they moved away from bm since 2000 (but since you mention Enslaved, I guess it can be just music with black influence).

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:07 am 

Ulver comes instantly to my mind, but they only released 2 full black metal albums, then they started to experiment with their sound.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:41 am 

Samael, of course. Started off as blackmetal in the late 80s and slowly evolved into an industrial entity as of now. They still have a good following and are a good band in my books.

And Burzum, maybe? Haha.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 am 

Lugubrum - They started out as a grim, raw black metal project but the progressively included more and more world/jazz influences and weirdness Lunar Aurora - atmospheric symphonic black metal that is surprisingly different with every release
Svartsyn - black metal where every album is different in terms of style and production but they manage to keep their sound throughout their discography

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:24 pm 

Rotting Christ. No bad album of theirs.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:44 pm 

"Relevant" is a funny term... So are "progressing" and "evolving".

Countess, Corpus Christii, Horna, Arckanum, Black Funeral, I Shalt Become and many many others fit your request as written to a tee, but I doubt any are what you are really looking for. What do you really want to hear?

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:42 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
"Relevant" is a funny term... So are "progressing" and "evolving".

Countess, Corpus Christii, Horna, Arckanum, Black Funeral, I Shalt Become and many many others fit your request as written to a tee, but I doubt any are what you are really looking for. What do you really want to hear?

Thanks for the recs, i will check them out. I'm really looking for bands that started off as raw black metal in the second wave, but then began incorporating other influences and different sounds with each release, while still staying within the realm of metal. I like hearing how bands develop their own style. Pretty vague I know. Thanks

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:28 am 

Vintersorrow wrote:
Rotting Christ. No bad album of theirs.

Thats right, Rotting Christ has a certainly varied menu,but somehow they maintained the quality in all their releases, their albums go from decent to excellent.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:09 am 

Seconding Lunar Aurora. None of their albums sound exactly the same, though there usually is some notable evolutionary difference between one album and its immediate previous and next album. Unfortunately, they split up this year.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:15 am 

IanThrash wrote:
Ulver comes instantly to my mind, but they only released 2 full black metal albums, then they started to experiment with their sound.

Saying Ulver experimented with their sound is like saying you experiment with your sexual orientation when caught fucking a dog.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:48 am 

I came in this thread to say Enslaved. Perfect example of a highly flexible band.

Borknagar are a band who have really evolved - from grim black/viking metal with Garm to their progressive folk/viking/black metal mid-era with Vortex to their later, ever-more progressive Vintersorg-era material and now on their latest albums, it's as if Epic and The Archaic Course had a child out of wedlock, what with Vintersorg AND Vortex handling vocal duties. Glorious!

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:59 am 

Though not the same band, you could always check out William Roussel a.k.a Mayhna'ch of Mutiilations discography. His music evolves quite a lot but definitely still stays true to black metal. His bands are Sektemtum, Hell Miltia, Maliciuos Secrets, and Gestapo 666. Hell Militia is pretty great.

Also Mayhem. Dont let the critics fool you. Most of their new albums are satisfactory.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 pm 

Kawir. Started out as a fairly typical Greek black metal band with a somewhat amateuristic sound, but vastly improved over the years. Their last three full-lengths are among my favourite albums.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:01 am 

Does Zarach Baal Tharagh count? Hahahahahaahahaahahha

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:57 am 

iloveblackmetal wrote:

What's so funny about him?

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:39 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
iloveblackmetal wrote:

What's so funny about him?

Hes passionate in what he does. However that doesnt excuse the shitty music. And who takes a guy that has made over 110 demos seriusly?

avshkhzra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:05 am 

Dodheimsgard
Abigor
Manes

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 am 

iloveblackmetal wrote:
However that doesnt excuse the shitty music.

:D
As if this thread excluded artists making shitty music.

iloveblackmetal wrote:
And who takes a guy that has made over 110 demos seriusly?

Maybe people who are open minded?

Nah, open minded people are those passionate about techno Ulver or rock Darkthrone. :D

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:16 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
I came in this thread to say Enslaved. Perfect example of a highly flexible band.

Borknagar are a band who have really evolved - from grim black/viking metal with Garm to their progressive folk/viking/black metal mid-era with Vortex to their later, ever-more progressive Vintersorg-era material and now on their latest albums, it's as if Epic and The Archaic Course had a child out of wedlock, what with Vintersorg AND Vortex handling vocal duties. Glorious!

Thanks for the Borknagar rec. great band that I had missed out on until now.

Gonna check out Luna Aurora next

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:14 pm 

Abigor started off similarly to Ulver but nowadays are playing some incredibly bizarre technical industrial tinged bm

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 am 

pbarb wrote:
Thanks for the recs, i will check them out. I'm really looking for bands that started off as raw black metal in the second wave, but then began incorporating other influences and different sounds with each release, while still staying within the realm of metal. I like hearing how bands develop their own style. Pretty vague I know. Thanks

You should check out shining. They started as a raw black metal band, and is today some progressive metal band with still traces of their BM roots. Great band, but I prefer their stuff from Eerie Cold until today.

I would also check out Mayhem if I were you, all their releases sound different. And if you give them time, you might enjoy them as much as I do, as I think all they've ever done is gold.

bucephalus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 am 

Ulver I guess.

Reply to topic