Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:18 pm 

misogynisticfeminist wrote:
Man, I'm getting some weird vibes from these past few posts. I've never really checked out Manowar, because it seems sort of... silly... but are all Manowar fans like this?

No, they aren't.

Having seen them in concert, I can attest there are a lot of weirdos present but then again, I tend to see other kind of weirdos at other shows.

I think there might be a divide between fans of the original stuff (generally, depending on who you talk to, the first four or six albums) and fans who have followed them in their modern career turn where the band built a new younger following that buys into the whole true metal thing.

And yeah, Manowar is indeed silly, at least some of the time. But I'd listen at least to the early albums if you've never checked them out. Even if you don't find it to your taste, historically, it was significant to the development of metal and I personally find a lot of value in it.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 pm 

Who would YOU laugh at?? Don't get me wrong....I used to love Manowar but Joey really let that shit get to his head!

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:59 pm 

This issue has been discussed in various magazines. In a 1984 Kerrang, King Diamond said he cursed Manowar for "what they did to us." In the latest Snakepit (#20), Timi Hansen and Kim Ruzz claim that they had an agreement with Manowar to allow their gear to ride in Manowar's truck for a fee but when they arrived in the UK, Manowar tripled the fee and screwed over their sound. After only one show (St. Albans), Mercyful Fate decided that they would not tolerate this and quit the tour.

On the other side, Ross the Boss was recently interviewed in Chips & Beer #3. He claims that Mercyful Fate asked to use their brand new gear and that pissed Manowar off.

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:52 pm 

Jesus...I don't think I can take anymore of this blasphemy against such an awesome band

misogynisticfeminist wrote:
Man, I'm getting some weird vibes from these past few posts. I've never really checked out Manowar, because it seems sort of... silly... but are all Manowar fans like this?

I'll tell you what Manowar fans are generally like. Firstly, we are extremely passionate about heavy metal, to a degree that most people just can't quite understand. We know where the band's coming from and what separates Manowar from other bands is that they've got a power that no other band can match. If you don't feel that power, there's no nice way to say this, but you simply are not a true metalhead. Manowar stands for the fight that we believe in. We want heavy metal to survive and we believe that Manowar's music is the perfect expression of our fight to retain the purity of the genre. Heavy metal is not just music to us, it's much more than that. It is our pride and our identity. We just have a love for our music that other people do not have. Going by the experiences I've had, I can only conclude that other fans of different forms of music are simply not as passionate as we are. If you have to ask the question "Why do you take music so seriously", then that just proves it.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:52 pm 

Jesus Christ dude, seriously. Stop calling out anyone that doesn't like your terribly mediocre favorite band. You sound like a pathetic fanboy. Your statement on "True Metalheads must like Manowar" and "no other fanbase of any genre are as passionate as we are" is simply fucking offensive.

Joey DeMaio is an asshat.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:03 pm 

It's just that people don't know what the fuck they're talking about 99% of the time they attack Manowar.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:09 pm 

I'm so glad I'm not a true metalhead in every sense and meaning of the word. Want to know why? Because every one I've met is an asshole. Everyone who covers himself with self-righteousness and absolute knowledge is just not worth getting into. If being a true metalhead is more about self-affirmation towards an audience than it is about the music then I'm really glad that I'm only a very passionate music fan and not a true metalhead.

Seriously dude, grow up.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:30 pm 

Congrats EmeraldEdge! You won a month long cruise on board of the "I'm an asshole" cruise ship, this prize contains body oil, plastic swords and tight leather pants! I hope you'll kill lots of posers, fuck ladies with big boobs and fight sharks with your fists.

METAL

Edit, like 1 month later: EmeraldEdge is now permbanned. I learned that he was madthrasher888 and possibly heavymetalbackwards so yep, ban evader! - Metantoine

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
...You won a month long cruise on board of the "I'm an asshole" cruise ship, ]

Boy, have I been a sailin' on that ship for a long time now. Also to contribute the guys from Grand Belial's Key flayed the vocalist from Ancient something fierce in interviews.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 pm 

Cronos on Cradle of Filth.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:34 pm 

Cronos talks sort of shit about a lot of people I've noticed. Abaddon, Joe Satriani, most black metal bands, Henry Rollins (though Rollins did initiate this one), Iron Maiden etc.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:36 pm 

Funny of him to call them crap considering he took their money to be on Dusk and Her Embrace.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:45 pm 

They paid him to be on the album, they're also fans of his, he doesn't have to enjoy their music.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:51 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Congrats EmeraldEdge! You won a month long cruise on board of the "I'm an asshole" cruise ship, this prize contains body oil, plastic swords and tight leather pants! I hope you'll kill lots of posers, fuck ladies with big boobs and fight sharks with your fists.

METAL

Haha, "LEAVE THE HALL!"

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

METAL

Hey now! Napero has the snarky lock/ban post patented! He'll be seeing you in court for gimmick infringement.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:09 pm 

I took over his legacy, he's fine with it. Now shush before I gimmickban your ass into an Avenged Sevenfold concert (oh right, you like 'em, well cool for ya!)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 pm 

And here I was thinking that most Manowar fans were getting tired of DeMaio's dickishness and the fact that they haven't put out a good album in twenty years. Goes to show how much time I spend around here I guess...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:39 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I took over his legacy, he's fine with it. Now shush before I gimmickban your ass into an Avenged Sevenfold concert (oh right, you like 'em, well cool for ya!

Change it to a full performance of the Lulu album and then I'll sew my face shut.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:57 am 

Besides how can you possibly say you know how the guy is really like? For all you know he's a loser sitting on his ass all day long, laughing out loud about the shitty lyrics he can keep recycling. So unless you have been his neighbour for 10 years and are hanging out with him playing Halo three times a week, bullshit. I hate how fans of any 'celebrities' act like they really know their stars, cause based on interviews, DeMaio is still a huge asshat.

anyway, enough on this. Let's move the thread on?

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:20 am 

EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:
I'll tell you what Manowar fans are generally like. Firstly, we are extremely passionate about heavy metal, to a degree that most people just can't quite understand. We know where the band's coming from and what separates Manowar from other bands is that they've got a power that no other band can match. If you don't feel that power, there's no nice way to say this, but you simply are not a true metalhead. Manowar stands for the fight that we believe in. We want heavy metal to survive and we believe that Manowar's music is the perfect expression of our fight to retain the purity of the genre. Heavy metal is not just music to us, it's much more than that. It is our pride and our identity. We just have a love for our music that other people do not have. Going by the experiences I've had, I can only conclude that other fans of different forms of music are simply not as passionate as we are. If you have to ask the question "Why do you take music so seriously", then that just proves it.

I want to sig the whole thing.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 pm 

From the Cronos interviews I've read where he bashes Abaddon, what I gathered was that Cronos is a real Satanist whereas Abaddon thought it was all just one big show.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:26 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
From the Cronos interviews I've read where he bashes Abaddon, what I gathered was that Cronos is a real Satanist whereas Abaddon thought it was all just one big show.

It was all a big show, but then some of the band members figured out that there was a whole bunch of gullible souls out there who actually bought into the band because of that satanic bullshit, so they started pretending.

Early Venom interviews were a lot more tongue-in-cheek. Just a bunch of guys who were looking to have a good time and get noticed by shocking.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 pm 

Venom were a bunch of fuckers really. Cronos was a fucker but Abaddon was an even bigger one. It is hard to say whether the Satanism was real for Cronos, he maintains that element even now when they don't seem "shocking" anymore. It is still the major aspect of his lyricism. Like Manowar go on and on like a fuckin' broken record about warriors and metal, Cronos never quite quits with the "hail Satan"s.

But of course holding up Venom lyrics for serious scrutiny is an effort reserved for when you have too much time on your hands, I'd assume.

This page here (http://www.venomcollector.com/info2.cfm?info_id=44377) has some choice quotations from Cronos and company through the years.

Some of 'em are real gems;

Quote:
Cronos: "I got into chicks really early. In fact, I screwed my first chick when I was ten years old in Junior School whilst in the craft room making a mosaic!"

Quote:
Cronos: "We hate Mercyful Fate. We just want to kill 'em, then rape King Diamond's mother!"

Quote:
Abaddon: "If you can think of every cliche, that's us. The loud, the fast, the bombs, the black magic....We are every cliche."
Abaddon, ever the wisely gent!

Quote:
Cronos: "As you get on in this business, you get better. You learn the whole time. For me and Abaddon to go to a Slayer gig, it's piss boring, because it's like listening to Welcome To Hell again. There's no imagination, and complete tunnel vision. David Bowie never stuck to a trend, nor did any of the greats, so there's no way we will."

Quote:
Cronos: "At the minute, I know that Sweden are fuckin' doing the Can-Can at Norway, because for years the two of them have had a thing going about who's gonna get Venom first, Norway's like 'We will get Venom because we have Burzum and Mayhem,' and Sweden's like, 'Aye, but we have all the pretty girls, so Venom are bound to come here first!' Sweden were right. Burzum? Pretty girls? Pretty girls! Stay in jail, ya cunt."
:lol:

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:00 pm 

Holy crap, Cronos sounds like a complete arsehole but I wonder if that shtick is for interviews or if he's genuinely like that all the time.

Speaking of people being nasty about other bands/former band members, Max Cavalera really seems to strongly dislike Wagner Lamounier and Andréas Kisser and Paulo given that he's made songs about how he much he dislikes them.

Have any ex-members of Iron Maiden talked shit about Maiden other than Di'Anno?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:03 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
Have any ex-members of Iron Maiden talked shit about Maiden other than Di'Anno?

I saw a Maiden DVD (http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ir ... Days/58410) on youtube and Maiden had a bunch of the early members giving interviews and they all were actually still in touch and nice to the Maiden guys. The only other one they were iffy about was the guy that chose his girlfriend over staying in Maiden. Di'Anno is the only real asshole. Burr was also saddened that he wasn't kept in the band but there isn't any bad blood.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:17 pm 

Ah. I've had the extreme misfortune of reading Paul Di'Anno's book and it gives a terrifying window into how much of an asshole he is. However, he did say that throwing a brick at someone in Van Halen or Motley Crue would be a good idea, which was surprising given how much of the book he filled with bullshit.

Harris and Dickinson were sniping at eachother in the press during the '90s as well.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
Ah. I've had the extreme misfortune of reading Paul Di'Anno's book and it gives a terrifying window into how much of an asshole he is.

If you'd like to expound on that a bit I'd like to read about. I'm curious, not calling you out. Big fan of the early Maiden years up until 7Soa7S (or whatever that's called)

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:25 pm 

Ian Gillan when just starting touring with Black Sabbath; noticed a dwarf walking around backstage and wondered out loud, "who's this, Ronnie James Dio's hairdresser ?". But really, they were good friends ("Ronnie James Dio is a great singer and a good mate" -IG, before RJD died or even got sick).

Tony Iommi on Tony Martin, concerning the Cross Purposes period: "no stage presence", "unprofessional"

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:28 am 

Mike Portnoy and James LaBrie had a stormy relationship. Mike was incredibly dissatisfied with James' vocal performance, I'm not sure whether from the start of after his unfortunate food poisoning accident that ruptured his vocal chords.
Mike actually considered leaving around the time of "Falling Into Infinity";
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/aboutmike/fa ... rs/15.aspx
Quote:
"This band has been through MANY, MANY ups and downs through the past 15 years (most of which are behind the scenes and you wouldn't even notice) and it takes alot of perseverance to endure it all. The making of Falling Into Infinity in 1996 & 1997 was a very frustrating period for me because I felt alot of my “control” over the band and “vision” for the band slipping away. There were many “Powers that be” that were sticking their noses and opinions into our music and not leaving us alone with the creative side of things. There were also a few other people on the “inside” that were willing to go along with all of these suggestions which made my battle even more difficult because I didn't want to have any further internal conflicts. So at the end of the day, I rolled over and played the game as well in order to move on with our career. Go forward another year to 1998 and we are getting close to wrapping up the world tour for Falling Into Infinity and the record that we made *by the label's rules* failed to break any “new” ground for our careers...not to mention that we split ways (again!) with another management company and there were alot of ex-managers, ex-lawyers, ex-agents, etc. etc. that were making life very difficult for us. All of this added to the day to day frustrations of juggling the band and the families, and the relationships of both. I finally threw up my hands and had enough. I told the guys I had enough, wanted to leave and end the band. The guys persuaded me to stick it out for the tour and re-evaluate...which I did. The biggest factor in me staying, keeping the band together and continuing was that I/we had to completely regain control over the music and direction of the band or else it just was no longer worth the frustration"

And from their "Lifting Shadows" biography;
Quote:
“So we had a big sit down with him – which was almost like a shape-up or ship-out kind of meeting,” remembers Mike. “We told him our concerns. So we decided to talk about the things that he can help, such as his presentation on stage. Another thing that bothered us was that he would always credit himself as a songwriter, and do interviews and talk about the songwriting process, when the reality was that he was never even there. It bothered us and there was resentment that he would kind of bullshit the fans like that.”

In James' defense, Mike didn't allow him to write lyrics, even on "Black Clouds And silver Linings". Usually James would contribute one song per album or none at all as is the case with BC&SL

More on the feud after Mike left Dream Theater;
http://www.drummagazine.com/news/post/p ... es-online/

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:19 am 

Mike and James did come to blows. Mike wasn't shy about letting people know how he didn't want James to stay in the band. He didn't hold back at all. The period around "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" and "Train Of Thought" was the hardest. James' voice was suffering on stage and Mike had had enough. He was the one in charge of set lists and speaking to the press and the concepts and what not. He really took on a lot, but he also chose to give his heart and soul to the band so I personally couldn't understand when he claimed "burnout".
Quote:
Jordan Rudess: “Mike does it to himself. He’s such a madman. He wants to play these long sets and then it’s so tiring. I actually heard a hint the other day that maybe we would shorten things a little bit and I was like ‘Thank you!’ This man is finally coming to reason. I’ve always been of the thinking that it’s too much for the audience as well – or maybe I’m just getting old. I don’t know. I know there are fans out there that want more and more songs, but when you’re presenting music at that kind of intensity and volume, I think it gets to be too much after a couple of hours.”

At the time that he left the band he was fed up with the guys and they were fed up with him. Relations with James had become better a long time ago but Mike said the general feelings around the band weren't of a positive nature. the camaraderie was lost. When he toured with Avenged Sevenfold, he would eat with the guys while in Dream Theater things were strained and everyone was complaining.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:30 am 

EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:
It's just that people don't know what the fuck they're talking about 99% of the time they attack Manowar.

Yeah, especially the ones who actually think Manilla Road or Virgin Steele are better bands are pissing me off. Even more than your generic "grown out of core 2 years ago" shits.

As for GBK / Ancient, GBK called Ancient glam black metal homosexuals or something in the vein. I guess that was about as insulting as someone who would say to Bon Jovi right now he isn't playing metal.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:23 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:

Yeah, especially the ones who actually think Manilla Road or Virgin Steele are better bands are pissing me off. Even more than your generic "grown out of core 2 years ago" shits.

Yeah. How dare they hold such opinions that something innovative and genuine is superior to that regurgitated, over-the-top garbage that Manowar ended up as. Cut the true metalhead bravado, it's not cool.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:07 am 

Manowar is really not the type of band you listen to because of the amazing music most of the time, people like them - whether they admit it or not - mostly all because of the bravado and attitude they have. And of course vengefulgoat's post is stupid...

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:38 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I saw a Maiden DVD (http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ir ... Days/58410) on youtube and Maiden had a bunch of the early members giving interviews and they all were actually still in touch and nice to the Maiden guys. The only other one they were iffy about was the guy that chose his girlfriend over staying in Maiden. Di'Anno is the only real asshole. Burr was also saddened that he wasn't kept in the band but there isn't any bad blood.

I was always under the impression that Burr quit over constant touring. I'll have to check this out again.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:28 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Manowar is really not the type of band you listen to because of the amazing music most of the time, people like them - whether they admit it or not - mostly all because of the bravado and attitude they have.

Really? Cause myself, I really like them because of the amazing music and in spite of all that other stuff you mentioned...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:34 pm 

I just never hear many people talking about the music alone for its proficiency, and aside from the very early albums, everything else has mostly relied on attitude to carry it, as the guitar is barely in the mix and the songs are usually very simple and anthemic. I dunno, guess some people hear different things in it than me. :)

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:08 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I just never hear many people talking about the music alone for its proficiency, and aside from the very early albums, everything else has mostly relied on attitude to carry it, as the guitar is barely in the mix and the songs are usually very simple and anthemic. I dunno, guess some people hear different things in it than me. :)

That's cool, we can't all like the same things ;)

I personally find there's a lot to like in their early music but I always had to go beyond the image and attitude to appreciate that.

I'll talk about the music in a more appropriate thread one day I'm sure but I'm certainly not here to change minds or anything.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:19 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:

Yeah, especially the ones who actually think Manilla Road or Virgin Steele are better bands are pissing me off. .

But they are, this isn't even a comparison that favors Manowar.

Under_Starmere wrote:

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:09 pm 

Veracs wrote:
vengefulgoat wrote:
Yeah, especially the ones who actually think Manilla Road or Virgin Steele are better bands are pissing me off. .

But they are, this isn't even a comparison that favors Manowar.

I totally disagree.

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I think Manowar generally get by on the fact that their first four albums are all great (Kings of Metal is pretty good too, and they a few other very good songs dotted around) not unlike a lot of other older metal bands living off their legacy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next