Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:43 am 

X-ray vision isn't anything new, it's kind of a staple of stealth games. It was in MGS1+2 and the first four Hitman games, but in the form of a map rather than how it is in Hitman: Absolution and Batman.

That said, the removal of the soliton radar in MGS3 is one of the best things to happen to the series. I like having to rely on my awareness, constantly listening and looking for any threats.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:30 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
They basically threw it in there to make it accessible to casual gamers and lazy people. It can't really be such a negative aspect when you can just choose to ignore it altogether and have a supremely fun experience like a true boss stealth master.

Dude, you shouldn't have to self-nerf in a game to make it balanced. I mean you *can*, but a game loses a lot of appeal for me when I have to start inventing artificial handicaps to get a real challenge out of it. I want to have to use my wits, be forced to use all the available tools at optimum efficiency to win. After all, I wasn't playing on easy, I wasn't even playing on hard. I was playing on VERY hard. They didn't need to dumb very hard down for noob gamers. Now, it wasn't a total cakewalk, I got killed more than a few times, but overall none of it was anywhere near as challenging as just the FIRST LEVEL of Hitman 2 on max difficulty. That's an almost unforgivable flaw in most modern games if you ask me; if they don't want to scare casuals away with excessive difficulty, fine, give them easy and normal. But leave "hard" for the veterans who want a real challenge.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 am 

Well, I definitely have to agree there.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:48 am 

I will stand people if they doubt the aulity of Blood Money. That being said, I just picked up the latest and I'm still excited to play!

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:08 pm 

Has anybody played Far Cry 3 yet? I've been waiting for a copy to come into my work so I can snag it for free but I'm about ready to just go out and buy the damn game since no one's brought one in yet. I've heard it's like Skyrim with guns, and considering how many hours I spent playing through Far Cry 2, I can't wait to try the new one out.. I hope they kept the same gritty healing system that was in the second one.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:45 pm 

They didn't, and it's fucking rubbish.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:59 pm 

I got bored with it after a few hours, but I'm not much of a gamer compared to the olden days, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Just reinstalled Witcher 2, should finish it. Hankering for an RPG, even though I don't really like the story/characters/dialogue in the Witcher games all that much. It's okay.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:31 pm 

By searching for older (unrelated) posts, I stumbled upon this amusing quote from myself, 3 years ago, the first time I played Demon's Souls and almost RQed the game because I was very unlucky and encountered two very rare and unlikely glitches in the same run:
Morrigan, in December 2009 wrote:
Holy fuck, Demon's Souls is retarded. My Internet connection had a hiccup, and that forced me out of the game, and I was in the middle of a boss fight. Then when I respawned, I died (thanks to a retarded targetting system where my character struck right next to the enemy -- who hadn't dodged, mind you, my character just thrust her spear right next to the targetted enemy) and couldn't get back to my bloodstain in time, losing all my souls again.

Fuck this stupid game. Game of the year? With such a stupid design where losing your internet connection immediately fucks up your game? Bullshit.

:lol: Needless to say, we kissed and made-up. <3 you, Soulsie.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:39 pm 

It's hilarious to see you (of all people) say that about DS, excellent :lol:

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 pm 

Haha, I know right? I almost gave up on the game after that incident. It was really unlucky, though, and very unlikely to happen to anyone else. It's a design flaw IMO that the game kicks you out if you lose your connection (strangely it doesn't even always do that, sometimes you are taken offline without warning and the only way you'll notice is that there are no messages and bloodstains and you can't hit Select to drop a message anymore... but when you're kicked out of PSN itself, the game takes you back to the title screen), but it wouldn't be a problem normally since you just reload and everything's fine and exactly where you left off... except that this happened during a boss fight, and I was taken back to the fog door so I had lost all progress against the boss, which of course pissed me off. It's a minor flaw, but in some circumstances it's aggravating.
And, I happened to be using a spear, which does have a wonky hitbox for the R2 attack (another very minor design flaw that normally causes very few problems, if any). But combined with my other issue, this made me almost RQ the game forever. :lol: Good thing I gave it another chance a few days later after cooling off, haha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 pm 

What was healing like in Far Cry 2 again? It's kind of dumb in 3.

And did FC2 have destructible environments? Maybe I'll feel like the Terminator on the second island or something, but I remember once I got the grenade launcher in FC2 it felt like whatever camp I touched blew up like it was nuked. Hard to explain, but I don't get that vibe from FC3 with its explosive weapons.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:02 pm 

Did anyone get the new Neo Geo X handheld system already? And if you don't know what I am talking about, PeteDorr from YouTube did an unboxing of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVOG3YwF78

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

Dude, it's literally the exact same thing. You're still pulling bullets out of your arm and wrapping your injured bits in bandages. Also, Far Cry 3 is a goddamn revelation. Beat it once, now I'm doing my completionist playthrough, if you can manage to pull me away from Black Ops II multiplayer.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:24 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

I quite like it actually. It's like a median between traditional medkits and regenerating health. Also, I find the sound of relocating your joints extremely satisfying (even though the finger bit gets me every time).
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:55 pm 

Don't you heal in FC 3 by injecting syringes full of morphine?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 pm 

Two methods, the syringe method and the bandage/wrapping method. As far as I know you use the bandwage/wrapping method, which takes longer and maybe doesn't heal as much (?), when you're out of syringes.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 pm 

I hardly notice a difference in time, but once you upgrade the healing yeah the bandages don't heal as much. Basically you have infinite health packs in a sense anyways.

The crafting system is a chore though. Nothing that bogs down the game at all to me, but it's just totally shallow and tiresome. But certainly an upgrade from the plague thing in FC2.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 am 

Been playing a lot of Planetside 2 and Dishonored. The latter is one of the best stealth games I've ever played, really fine piece of work.

And PS2 is... well, it's amazing. I'm a vet of the first game though so I've been at it a while. But any fans of multiplayer shooters will do themselves a favor in checking it out.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 am 

Morrigan wrote:
By searching for older (unrelated) posts, I stumbled upon this amusing quote from myself, 3 years ago, the first time I played Demon's Souls and almost RQed the game because I was very unlucky and encountered two very rare and unlikely glitches in the same run:
Morrigan, in December 2009 wrote:
Holy fuck, Demon's Souls is retarded. My Internet connection had a hiccup, and that forced me out of the game, and I was in the middle of a boss fight. Then when I respawned, I died (thanks to a retarded targetting system where my character struck right next to the enemy -- who hadn't dodged, mind you, my character just thrust her spear right next to the targetted enemy) and couldn't get back to my bloodstain in time, losing all my souls again.

Fuck this stupid game. Game of the year? With such a stupid design where losing your internet connection immediately fucks up your game? Bullshit.

:lol: Needless to say, we kissed and made-up. <3 you, Soulsie.

Hah hah which boss?

I remember being such a wimp playing Demon's Souls. I must've killed nearly everything with soul arrows and if I did fight I turtled with the rapier. If something that seemed tough was coming up and I was out of spice, I just equipped the fragrant ring and let my MP regen all the way. You're thinking it must've taken forever. It did. Prior to Demon's Souls, it was all about Fallout 3 or Dragon Age Origins. Back then I only wanted to relax and push buttons, look at pretty graphics, and enjoy a story.

Oddly for me cause I know Demon's and Dark Souls so well Borderlands 2 is probably the hardest thing I'm playing. I'm no good at an FPS. I think I'm behind cover but things hit me still. I'm used to 3rd person cover systems. And cause the first person perspective is zoomed in so much I'm easily caught off guard when something pops up in my vicinity. In a way Borderlands 2 is easing me off a Fallout style FPS that has no action and forcing me to get good at FPSes the way Demon's Souls trained me back in the day.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:47 am 

It was the tower knight, haha. I hadn't gotten very far at all and was way underpowered.

That reminds me, I have a DeS "whale" I need to revisit some time...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 am 

rexxz wrote:
Been playing a lot of Planetside 2 and Dishonored. The latter is one of the best stealth games I've ever played, really fine piece of work.

And PS2 is... well, it's amazing. I'm a vet of the first game though so I've been at it a while. But any fans of multiplayer shooters will do themselves a favor in checking it out.

I'll never be able to download it with my connection. My friend has a faster one, and every other time he turns his computer on, the download resets.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:59 pm 

Such is life in Ireland.

Can somebody give me a rundown of PS2? I'm trying to find a Multiplayer FPS which won't bore the hell out of me.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:23 pm 

FYI...

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:46 pm 

That's exactly how I feel right now, dammit Steam.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:09 pm 

Nothing on my radar yet. Still have a few days to scoop something up. This is the period where I plead Steam to take my money.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:59 pm 

Hmm...Steam sales...

Question: Do I need to play Arkham Asylum to be able to enjoy Arkham City?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:02 pm 

Not at all. But it does tie in just a little bit. Not necessary in the least, though. Arkham City is amaaaaazingly fun!

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:16 pm 

Picked up Valkyria Chronicles last night. Nice twist on the SRPG genre. Not a huge fan of the book and picking out the cut scenes though.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:34 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Not at all. But it does tie in just a little bit. Not necessary in the least, though. Arkham City is amaaaaazingly fun!

$7.49, I hardly knew ye.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:41 pm 

Bought. Though I hate to be reminded that exchange rate isn't a thing in Steam's world: 7,49 :grumble:

Also note the latest Humble Bundle.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:44 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
That's exactly how I feel right now, dammit Steam.

My poor wallet is getting gangraped

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:18 pm 

Bought the Hitman Collection. Gonna give Blood Money a go and see if I like it.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:19 pm 

Not sure if it was mentioned, but THQ has officially declared bankruptcy. They were bought by a finance company that supposedly has personal ties with the head of THQ. The big releases they had lined up (South Park, WWE, Metro: Last Light, Company of Heroes 2) will be released as planned. After that it's likely individual developers and IPs will be sold off to the highest bidder.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:06 am 

I think they filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/thq-bankru ... in-6401822

So they're walking on thin ice but I still think they'll manage.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:50 pm 

Some Dark Souls II concept art.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/vi ... &id=295280

The dwarf and spider zombie thing is cool.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:50 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Hmm...Steam sales...

Question: Do I need to play Arkham Asylum to be able to enjoy Arkham City?

You haven't played Arkham Asylum?

What the hell are you doing.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:54 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I think they filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/thq-bankru ... in-6401822

So they're walking on thin ice but I still think they'll manage.

They might, but I honestly wouldn't bet on it. I think the best you could hope for is that THQ would keep their name, and not much else. Still, it will be interesting watching this all pan out, and I'll be rooting for the developers and infantile IP (those with the most to lose).

Rubin is a spin master, it seems. I guess that's what he has to say, but really keeping THQ afloat = maximizing clearlake's eventual profit.

At least, that's how it looks to me.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:45 pm 

The entire Dawn of War + II franchise pack... $19.99. I was right to wait. As well as 5 Prince of Persia games for ~$12. :bow:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:43 pm 

In the end, all that will be left is EA and Activision/Blizzard competing to see who can outjew the other.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:05 pm 

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/21/n ... a-responds

Just... fuck you.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 462, 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468 ... 940  Next