Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:18 pm 

"Spectrum Of Eternity"

Had it's first release on the radio earlier tonight, sounds freaking amazing. The Chainheart Machine-vibe with modern Soilwork sound.
Can't wait for the double album; sounds like it will be very promising!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_DydLwYnUk

Last edited by VampireofTheNazereth on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm 

Sounds alright - I'm a huge fan of the style but I never liked Soilwork much. It's really polished but doesn't feel riffy, just overdone - the fast parts are fast but don't really have a fast feeling or any weight to them. Soilwork's style has felt very tired for a while, this feels like a welcome rehash if you're a fan of the band but otherwise pretty boring.

Er, you said "double album"? That's going to be awful.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:32 pm 

That was quite awesome.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:38 pm 

the vocals sort of remind me of a less vile version of Kvarforth on Redefining Darkness. The music was pretty awesome. I am a big fan of their old work, and this definitely reminds me of Chainheart Machine, A Predator's Portrait and Natural Born Chaos. Kudos

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:46 pm 

Yeah I am a fan of all of Soilwork's albums from Steelbath Suicide to The Panic Broadcast. It sounds like a step foward from the previous album, while going back and bringing back old ingredients.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:03 am 

Wow! This is definitely the best Soilwork has sounded in a while. I've always been a fan of this band, but they kind of lost me for some time. If this is any indication, they're back with a vengeance. Thanks for posting this!

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Er, you said "double album"? That's going to be awful.

I also have great doubts on that working out. Hopefully they're thematically divided at least.

And Soilwork hasn't indeed sounded as good as that song for a while. They've had decent melody lines here and there but now they've managed a totally quality song.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:56 am 

Sounds pretty solid. :thumbsup: Looking forward to the album.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:05 am 

I haven't touched Soilwork in ages primarily coz I felt this kind of Swedish MDM scene was turning into garbage at that time.

To be honest, at first listen, I didn't quite mind the track. It has the tempo while not drifting too much towards the poppy side of things. It'll keep the core fanbase satisfied. I agree with what Zodijackyl said.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 pm 

It's just something about the vocalist's harsh vocals that I don't like and never have liked, even if the music has been good on some early albums. The vocals have always sounded really, I don't know, not harsh whilst trying to do so? But the sound is otherwise good, pretty energetic stuff, surprisingly so.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm 

Yep, I really enjoyed that.

Kerber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:41 pm 

I used to like Soilwork quite a bit in my metal formative years, but I got bored of them after a while. But this sounds pretty good actually, the best they've sounded in a while. Also are those blast beats?

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:42 pm 

I think that they indeed are blast beats.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:12 pm 

Hmm, this wasn't bad! I haven't liked a full album of theirs since Chainheart Machine, though :-/

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 am 

Kerber wrote:
I used to like Soilwork quite a bit in my metal formative years, but I got bored of them after a while. But this sounds pretty good actually, the best they've sounded in a while. Also are those blast beats?

They've had blast beats ever since Dirk Verbeuren became their drummer from Stabbing The Drama and onward.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm 

Kinda boring. I didn't know people still wrote this kind of metal.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:35 pm 

Not bad. Much better than the stuff on their last couple of albums. They're one of the best melodeath bands to see live and that's because of their energy, so these kind of songs suit them better.

DraakUla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:18 pm 

Great stuff. I haven't listened to them for a long time now, so this new song sounds refreshing.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:30 am 

I don't have particularly high hopes for the upcoming album, but this song is the best thing I've heard from them since Natural Born Chaos. If I was still big into Gothenburg melodeath I'd be extremely excited, and I may end up checking this out anyway just for nostalgia's sake.

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:10 am 

This song gave me a re-kick! I remember the first time I heard "Room nr. 99"; the feeling was much more powerful back then, but this definitely is an improvement over the last 2/3 albums.

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:11 pm 

I'm surprised by the amount of people enjoying this. I always that Soilwork, and melodeath in general -but especially Soilwork- was just not very popular here.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:14 pm 

Already gone.

I think they peaked at Predator's Portrait and my favorite being the Chainheart machine. if it's similar to that I'm interested to at least hear it.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:22 pm 

This one was put up by Nuclear Blast so it won't get taken down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_DydLwYnUk

The intro on this one seems to be longer than the other.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:56 pm 

Not bad at all. It's been a long time since I've liked any melodeath. esp anything recently. I'm still not the biggest fan of the clean vocals but they are well done. But still it's not something I'll rush out and buy. At best I'd get it second hand.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:45 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Wow! This is definitely the best Soilwork has sounded in a while. I've always been a fan of this band, but they kind of lost me for some time. If this is any indication, they're back with a vengeance. Thanks for posting this!

That is how I feel. I quite enjoy the song and hope they maintain this pace throughout. I wish the solo was better but other than that, I think it is a good song.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:48 pm 

Another new single from these guys called 'This Momentary Bliss'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... R2C2kEONIU

Somewhat different from the first song. This has more melodic hooks and clean vocals.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Another new single from these guys called 'This Momentary Bliss'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... R2C2kEONIU Somewhat different from the first song. This has more melodic hooks and clean vocals.

I like the chorus and the cruisy solo. The song itself isn't bad but doesn't offer anything in the way of reinvention, which really would be a bonus with a double album. I feel a double album in the basic styles shown could be overkill and end up dragging, although it could work if the songs are short and there is is enough difference between each track.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:49 am 

I can't figure out if the verse riff is deliberately stolen from Nat King Cole's Nature Boy or not?
It's so obvious that it must be.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 am 

I think this is gonna be an awesome album!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:23 pm 

TurdThird song out by these guys. It's called 'Rise Above The Sentiment'. It's been released as a music video. I didn't like it much to be honest. Too repetitive in the beginning which caused me to lose interest instantly. Boring MDM. The chorus was somewhat bearable. So far out of the three tracks released, only 'Spectrum of Eternity' stands strong in my interest levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... LEKU7cBOak

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 pm 

What's with new music videos sucking so much ass lately, they're either half arsed, overtly silly or failed attempts at being impactful by a shitty director. And then people say "oh, but it's good that they don't take them self seriously." Well, that's well and good if it's a joke band, and visual representation means jack to you, but for me personally I'd like to be wowed by a video for a change.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:14 am 

shouvince wrote:
TurdThird song out by these guys. It's called 'Rise Above The Sentiment'.

That was so inoffensive I got offended.
(The song that is, don't care about music videos, never have.)

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:05 pm 

shouvince wrote:
TurdThird song out by these guys. It's called 'Rise Above The Sentiment'. It's been released as a music video. I didn't like it much to be honest. Too repetitive in the beginning which caused me to lose interest instantly. Boring MDM. The chorus was somewhat bearable. So far out of the three tracks released, only 'Spectrum of Eternity' stands strong in my interest levels.

It's not bad but not that good either.

I remain only mildly interested in the new album.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:33 pm 

shouvince wrote:

well that wasn't too bad I suppose.

BastardHead wrote:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:36 pm 

Opus wrote:
shouvince wrote:
TurdThird song out by these guys. It's called 'Rise Above The Sentiment'.

That was so inoffensive I got offended.
(The song that is, don't care about music videos, never have.)

I didn't care much about the music video too. What was with that instagrammed-cliched-home-video? I had it playing in another tab most of the time.

@MalignantTyrant - This song was fleeting for me. Still prefer the first song that was released.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:32 pm 

it could've easily been much worse

BastardHead wrote:

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm 

shouvince wrote:

Starts off a bit underwhelming but is saved by the chorus and the nice solo. The drumming is tight and has some variation. Overall it is a decent song.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:12 pm 

Actually digging this, which is something I can't say about Soilwork since NBC. Double album kind of worries me though as I am not sure they can keep the quality up through two discs.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 pm 

I don't dig the metal by numbers shit Soilwork has become, and this is only marginally better. The first song they released was decent, but by all accounts the rest of the album isn't much better than their last decade of albums.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:10 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Kinda boring. I didn't know people still wrote this kind of metal.

this. it's the sort of stuff i listened to in my teens (late 90s/early 00s) simply because it was metal. it has no character, no feeling... it's just loud and mechanical.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next