Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:40 pm 

In terms of the revived gun conversation that's sprung up, it's absolutely fucking bananas to me that anyone can think the solution to America's obvious gun problem is to give guns to everybody and/or store guns in a school. Both are just asking for trouble and are completely out of this dimension for me to think that anyone can recommend either viewpoint as a solution.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:46 pm 

I can understand why a spokeperson would have those opinions, after all they are the onces being paid to say silly things. Now, the people who aren't being payed and still have those opinions boggle my mind.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:01 pm 

I agree with Di3inpain, gun laws aren't so much the problem, it's the inadequate care for people with mental illnesses.

I also don't like how some people are spewing vitriol about the shooter. He certainly deserves it, but when such a terrible act of evil is committed it kind of saddens me to still see so much hate afterwards. After something like this, I feel like love should fill the void; to only see more hate and ill-will is disheartening.

If you can't tell, I'm pretty much a hippy.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:06 pm 

The U.S. is a country of vengeance and hatred. That's why whenever someone commits a heinous act of any sort the immediate reaction is "Hang this fucking cocksucker by his fingernails and castrate him with a dull butter knife!" It really speaks about the kind of people that live in this country when that's their initial reaction.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:10 pm 

Subrick wrote:
The U.S. is a country of vengeance and hatred. That's why whenever someone commits a heinous act of any sort the immediate reaction is "Hang this fucking cocksucker by his fingernails and castrate him with a dull butter knife!" It really speaks about the kind of people that live in this country when that's their initial reaction.

Well, that's generalizing a bit :lol: but I suppose it's true to some degree. Now I'm wondering what about the culture promotes that...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:28 pm 

There we go.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:24 pm 

*violently throws up*
Starcraft? Really?
Skip to 1:20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_eUEb81fa8

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

How the fuck can these people support those findings? Nerds are famously the least aggressive people in western culture.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 pm 

While I agree with everyone who DISagrees with that Fitzpatrick guy, it should be mentioned that no less a metal "Icon" than Dave Mustaine was spewing the exact same kind of bullshit after the Colorado theatre massacre. Bullshit is bullshit and no matter whose mouth it comes from, people need to call it out but... with that said, my heartfelt condolances go out to the victims and their families. And I do dread the further politicialization of this tragedy by both the Ted Nugent "Guns fer Jesus" types and the anti-gun types.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:40 am 

Aurone wrote:
Someone else who kind of feel sory for is actually Obama. He has to deal with this both as the President who's incharge of our safety and also as a father who no doubt loves his children and couldn't imagine what the parents are going through. Both those, plus the demand to handle this just right thanks to our current political climate gives him by far the hardest job imaginable.

As most know, I'm an ardent opponent of the current president however I agree here. I feel his initial speech was very heartfelt and though I don't agree with what he most likely will propose as a solution - an automatic and semi-automatic weapons ban - politics aside, I think that he really does feel a lot of sorrow for those families and I fought back some watery eyes as I listened to his reaction on the radio during my hour lunch at work.

That said, the hardest job by far is not his, it's that of the families who lost innocent children in the tragedy. President Obama will return home to hug his children; there are fathers in Newton who will not.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:40 am 

He is a hypocritical bastard. He cries over the deaths of 22 children that is sad in its own right, but the guy authorizes drone strikes of areas of villages and towns that decimate streets and kill tens of people just to get one so called "insurgent". He's full of shit and his tears are at best crocodile tears, he has no right to call about those lost children when he is responsible for the deaths of Middle eastern children and families. Screw him, let's ban drones before we start talking about banning semi-automatics.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:22 am 

Veracs wrote:
Screw him, let's ban drones before we start talking about banning semi-automatics.

:thumbsup:

Its sad watching the masses eat up the media hype and its not only Americans too...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 am 

Clearly, Obama sends drones because he gets a kick out of killing children for his pleasure, so long as they're brown. The two situations are totally comparable...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:45 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Clearly, Obama sends drones because he gets a kick out of killing children for his pleasure, so long as they're brown.

Never mentioned anything about their skin color, I said Middle Eastern because thats where the bulk of the drone strikes are taking place.
Yemen and Afghanistan to be particular.

Quote:
The two situations are totally comparable...

The two situations may not be comparable, but the free pass that many are giving Obama for his teary-eyed spectacle belies the fact that he is responsible for more deaths per month than any amount of mass shootings in the US is troubling at the very least.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:44 am 

Veracs, it's pretty incredible if you indeed fail to see the difference between the two. A school shooting by a looney wielding an unnecessarily powerful semi-automatic rifle vs. collateral damage on a warzone? I'd say there's pretty much difference right there... Any comparisons between the two actually reek more of hypocricy than anything Obama might have said. And shouldn't you gun nuts generally be all FOR bombing Middle East? Wut?

Please note that I'm 100% against drone strikes. Anyone thinking they are a solution to anything is living in La-La Land. The same goes for virtually any airstrikes on anything in counter-insurgency or anti-terrorism missions, and if the US was really interested in improving the international situation and/or cost efficiency, the strategy would be pretty much the opposite of what happens now.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 am 

Napero wrote:
And shouldn't you gun nuts generally be all FOR bombing Middle East?

"Gun Nuts" is a pretty harsh criticism for people who believe they have every right to protect themselves. I am a believer that anyone that wishes to own a weapon should be able to own one, regardless of it's caliber and rate of fire, but I also fail to see any reason to bomb another country's people. As an American, I do feel that our foreign policy is often times ethnocentrically placed, with little regard for the rights of others outside our country which our Nation was built upon. This may be strange for others to understand and may be viewed as a hypocrisy in some form - and it most probably will be - by a lot of people but just because Americans believe that owning a gun is a fundamental aspect to their individual Liberty, doesn't mean that those same Americans believe that bombing foreign people is also a fundamental right. In fact, I believe quite the opposite. I believe all humans have a right to defend themselves against those that wish to restrain and constrict their individual rights to Liberty and Freedom of self from an overbearing and overpowering government.

I believe we've been in the Middle East for far too long and we should have left as soon as we killed Osama Bin Laden. We never should have invaded Iraq, and we 100% should not be using drone strikes to kill enemies that we can not identify. It's one thing to confuse "gun nuts" with Republicans but it's another to assume all Conservatives are heartless warmongerers that want to kill everyone and believe in an ethnocentric world.

Veracs wrote:
let's ban drones before we start talking about banning semi-automatics.

I agree with this totally. This policy is wrong on all levels. We should not be willing to take the lives of others if we are not willing to sacrifice our own to do so. Every life is a life worth living. We can not fall into the habit of mechanically taking lives. This does nothing to promote the causes of Freedom and Liberty which the USA is founded upon.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:12 am 

You know just saying, those enemies kind of CAN be identified, since they're usually, you know, armed insurgents.

Really orion, what need do you have to own a fully automatic assault rifle? What need does any civilian? Other than "I have the right and I want one plus bad people and stuff", because that's just dumb.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:16 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
I am a believer that anyone that wishes to own a weapon should be able to own one, regardless of it's caliber and rate of fire...

So you believe that a mentally unstable man should have ready access, say, M2 Brownings?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:27 am 

I will never learn to understand a few ideas held so dearly by many Americans. The ideas that owning guns and, duh, being allowed to own and operate vehicles with incredible environmental impact are two prime examples. People complain about not being able to own hellish belt-fed flamethrowing chaincannons with multiple bayonet lugs, or about the commis taking away the Ultimate Road Behemoth Turbo SUVs with the Climategate excuse, all the while failing to understand that liberty is not about having access to ability to kill maximum numbers of people or driving a vehicle with exhausts equal to a coal-fired powerplant in China. Or, if that indeed is liberty to someone, that liberty is so shallow that it would not count as such in the mind of a person with a functional brain. Those ideas are twisted incarnations of the physical manifestations of a misunderstood concept of liberty. You can own all the guns in the world, and still lack true freedom. Grip onto the assault rifle all you can, but if you, say, oppose gay marriage, you don't understand the fundamental idea of real liberty. It's about what you can actually do in your life, not about the "freedom" to own things that harm others or something else. In the case of cars, freedom is about having the right to move around without compromising your privacy or having controls on your choices, not about the physical means of doing so. In the case of guns, in any context outside of the most stupid amendment in any constitution outside the Islamic world and North Korea, it's really about having security against aggression and crime, and having guns is a band-aid on a festering wound instead of a real cure.

I have a different concept of freedom, and I know I could never even talk about it with a very large fraction of the people over there. But whatever, do what you want within your borders. I suggest giving everyone in the USA access to Predator drones and Hellfires, just as long as they stay in the USA. And here that "everyone" includes fertilized eggs.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:12 am 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

How the fuck can these people support those findings? Nerds are famously the least aggressive people in western culture.

They can't support it. There has never been any clear consistent data that proves the relation between violent games and ultra violent behavior. This newscast, albeit it hugely annoying, will change nothing.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Techno Viper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:50 am 

Don't you find the whole "lone nut " phenomon completely typical, trite and played out? Even good 'ol Lee Harvey said he was a patsy. I love how the anti-conspiracist crowd love to call any body else with critical thinking skills "retarded" because they're too intellectualy lazy to research the subject impartially with out relying on Disney and Time Warner to spoon feed the news to them. It never ceases to amaze me how any bit of news information is automatically excepted because it came out from an alphabet soup news agency (AP,ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN, CBS etc) For whence does this attitude come from? Why aren't conspiracies reported impartially by these networks?If we live in a free and open society, wouldn't these claims be researched and debunked on a case by case basis by an impartial and free media? Why are people who don't just believe it "cause the news said so" labeled "retarded" or crazy? I tell you why. Because the very idea of conspiracies scare the shit out of these type people,and they do the job they want them to do, a self-imposed mental prison to keep the sheep from being ostracized except I don't give a flying fuck about being liked by some people here. I'm going to think for myself.Food for thought:None of us were there at the shooting.There were intial reports of more than one person. You weren't there nor was I, so how could you be so smug in your beliefs that this atrocity/psy-op did not go down the way it was reported? Because your gods CNN said so? And you dare call other people "retards"!!

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:59 am 

Yeah man, wake up sheeple!

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 am 

Techno Viper wrote:
Don't you find the whole "lone nut " phenomon completely typical, trite and played out? Even good 'ol Lee Harvey said he was a patsy. I love how the anti-conspiracist crowd love to call any body else with critical thinking skills "retarded" because they're too intellectualy lazy to research the subject impartially with out relying on Disney and Time Warner to spoon feed the news to them. It never ceases to amaze me how any bit of news information is automatically excepted because it came out from an alphabet soup news agency (AP,ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN, CBS etc) For whence does this attitude come from? Why aren't conspiracies reported impartially by these networks?If we live in a free and open society, wouldn't these claims be researched and debunked on a case by case basis by an impartial and free media? Why are people who don't just believe it "cause the news said so" labeled "retarded" or crazy? I tell you why. Because the very idea of conspiracies scare the shit out of these type people,and they do the job they want them to do, a self-imposed mental prison to keep the sheep from being ostracized except I don't give a flying fuck about being liked by some people here. I'm going to think for myself.Food for thought:None of us were there at the shooting.There were intial reports of more than one person. You weren't there nor was I, so how could you be so smug in your beliefs that this atrocity/psy-op did not go down the way it was reported? Because your gods CNN said so? And you dare call other people "retards"!!

Ok, so if it was a conspiracy, what were the conspirators goals?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am 

Techno Viper wrote:

Chemtrails, man!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 am 

Techno Viper, less pot and more vitamins. Your brain seems to be collapsing.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 am 

All I can say is I wish all the good for the victims of this shooting. It was a desperate act of a seemingly desperate man. Can't even imagine what people involved in this are going through now. We've had these kind of incidents here in Finland too, but not a situation that involves 6 years old children. Just horrible.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 am 

TotalBiscuit just released a video addressing the media's constant need to associate violent video games and other media with tragedies like this and why people continually fall for it. It is right here.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 pm 

Has anyone seen the video of the autopsies? I'll try to find the link,the dude is laughing and shit.
But hey, I have never had to autopsy 26 bodies so I dont know how I would react.
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
I also don't like how some people are spewing vitriol about the shooter. He certainly deserves it, but when such a terrible act of evil is committed it kind of saddens me to still see so much hate afterwards. After something like this, I feel like love should fill the void; to only see more hate and ill-will is disheartening.

Sorry, I'm not sorry. His actions were contemptible and disgusting, and he deserves every bit of hate that's been spewed at him. Poor 20 year old little disenfranchised pussy couldn't think of any other way to lash out at society than to kill 20 innocent children? Fuck that. Love and sympathy should be reserved for the families of those who lost their kids and loved ones.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 pm 

norcalslayings wrote:
Has anyone seen the video of the autopsies? I'll try to find the link,the dude is laughing and shit.
But hey, I have never had to autopsy 26 bodies so I dont know how I would react.

Why the fuck would someone want to watch that?

Also; I have no idea why TotalBiscuit would give a shit and make this kind of video, I doubt anyone in the media industry is going to respond or give a shit.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:54 pm 

norcalslayings wrote:

Wait, wait-- the coroner is laughing? What the fuck?

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 pm 

Arming teachers would halt massacres :lol:

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
orionmetalhead wrote:
I am a believer that anyone that wishes to own a weapon should be able to own one, regardless of it's caliber and rate of fire...

So you believe that a mentally unstable man should have ready access, say, M2 Brownings?

Excluding mentally challenged, convicted felons and drunk drivers... yes. I was making a blanket statement that we do not need gun restrictions, we need gun oversight.:

Posted on a friend's facebook during a conversation I said my ideal style of laws related to gun ownership would be something such as:

1. Repeal all current gun laws.
2. Anyone can own any gun they want under the following stipulations:
- You have no criminal record
- You have no drunk driving or DUIs within the past 10 years.
- You go for a quarterly training class with local police.
- You go for a bi-annual test.
- You accept randomized federal oversight checks to ensure your guns are stored in a locked gun safe. That any automatic weapons are not loaded and that the only person with a key to that safe is the registered owner of the guns within. Every registered gun owner must own their own gun safe.
- Any break in compliance to these laws carries a $10,000 fine and 1 year suspension of gun ownership. Each subsequent break in compliance is an additional year suspension.
- Only after a year of certified training by local officials can you purchases a weapon. Rifles, semi-automatics and full automatics carry additional training periods on top of the initial year-long training.
- Homes with mentally handicapped individuals are not able to own semi-automatics or full automatic weapons.
- Limit amount of bullets an individual can purchase at one time.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:20 pm 

Orion, those stipulations do sound quite reasonable (although I would argue for longer penalties or permanent revocations after an infraction), and I have a feeling they'd actually result in a whole lot of peoples' guns being taken away, especially in the rural US south (the only gun culture with which I have a little experience...)

Has anyone ever thought of equipping firearms with some kind of chip that can deactivate them if they're stolen? Seems like it's a pretty sensible precaution and might be quite easy to implimented... Of course, many guns are quite sturdy and last for years, and this wouldn't solve any issues with older weapons.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:32 pm 

Abominatrix, who would control the activation of such chips?

-I would add to that list:

- Automatic and semi-automatic guns that are not handguns would not be allowed in public under concealed carry laws.
- State and Local Government can adopt additional oversight measures that don't limit the number of or type of weapons a person can own, which are adopted in conjunction with the above statutes as far as additional required tests, training and fines/sentences.

Basically, I would like to see an approach which works to promote the responsibility of gun ownership in the USA and not the restriction of gun ownership. American society in many ways has a very irresponsible outlook on things such as drinking, gun ownership, vehicles... and we make an attempt to restrict people through legislation which just spurs more irresponsible behavior. I think we should be passing legislation which encourages responsible behavior in our lives through allowing citizens to feel like they are entrusted with a responsibility.

Last edited by orionmetalhead on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm 

Techno Viper wrote:

I can sort of agree with what you are saying, but not in a "Conspiracy theory" way. In my opinion, people need to quite with calling the shooter a psychopath/insane person. I get that there were children who were killed in the massacre (not the first time something like this happened, but whatever), but no one doesn't go to a public place and shoot random people without a reason. It's tragedies like this that are just proof that people never think for themselves and do not even try to think of/find out a reason why things like occurr.

And yes I know that I am expected to get negative responses from people all because I wanted to think for myself and express my opinion.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:44 pm 

I love how those who crow about "thinking for themselves" are the ones with the least amount of critical thinking inside their empty cranium. The irony is just too perfect.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:00 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Excluding mentally challenged, convicted felons and drunk drivers... yes. I was making a blanket statement that we do not need gun restrictions, we need gun oversight.:

1. Repeal all current gun laws.
- You have no criminal record
- You have no drunk driving or DUIs within the past 10 years.
- You go for a quarterly training class with local police.
- You go for a bi-annual test.
- You accept randomized federal oversight checks to ensure your guns are stored in a locked gun safe. That any automatic weapons are not loaded and that the only person with a key to that safe is the registered owner of the guns within. Every registered gun owner must own their own gun safe.
- Any break in compliance to these laws carries a $10,000 fine and 1 year suspension of gun ownership. Each subsequent break in compliance is an additional year suspension.
- Only after a year of certified training by local officials can you purchases a weapon. Rifles, semi-automatics and full automatics carry additional training periods on top of the initial year-long training.
- Homes with mentally handicapped individuals are not able to own semi-automatics or full automatic weapons.
- Limit amount of bullets an individual can purchase at one time.

Orion,

Excluding a few points this sounds similiar to the gun policy of Germany, a country often labeled within the media as completely anti gun. Owning guns is tough there, but not impossible. It carries extreme responsibility as it should. If you desire a gun you have to go through mandatory safety training, psychological evaluation, inspection of gun safe / storage facility, and random screenings. Any transfer of gun owner ship is strictly controlled. Most people simply do not choose to own guns, just as a relatively large portion of Germany's population when compared to US, do not drive, due to the stringent training and costs involved.

I think the problem in the US is not the amount of guns, but the absolute disrepect given to guns by many owners. I have met many responsible gun owners but an equal if not greater share of absolutely irresponsible ones in my experience. Banning is not the answer, oversight is.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:

Why? What possible use would someone have for a machine gun in their home? This is the silliest thing I've read here. Some things are to dangerous to allow for public use and especially, ownership.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:30 pm 

I love how these things always go into politics, that's the fucking problem with this country every body's too damned busy trying to push their own agendas to actually get something done. In times like these we all just need tom come together and make rational decisions no go out half cocked and say the first thing that comes to our minds, but hey that's what we get for living in America. How many times did the news stations rehash their stories? Why can't we all just take things a bit slower and actually make good and informed decisions? And as far as my liberties are concerned I would tend to more or less agree with this save for the last sentence.

Napero wrote:
I will never learn to understand a few ideas held so dearly by many Americans. The ideas that owning guns and, duh, being allowed to own and operate vehicles with incredible environmental impact are two prime examples. People complain about not being able to own hellish belt-fed flamethrowing chaincannons with multiple bayonet lugs, or about the commis taking away the Ultimate Road Behemoth Turbo SUVs with the Climategate excuse, all the while failing to understand that liberty is not about having access to ability to kill maximum numbers of people or driving a vehicle with exhausts equal to a coal-fired powerplant in China. Or, if that indeed is liberty to someone, that liberty is so shallow that it would not count as such in the mind of a person with a functional brain. Those ideas are twisted incarnations of the physical manifestations of a misunderstood concept of liberty. You can own all the guns in the world, and still lack true freedom. Grip onto the assault rifle all you can, but if you, say, oppose gay marriage, you don't understand the fundamental idea of real liberty. It's about what you can actually do in your life, not about the "freedom" to own things that harm others or something else. In the case of cars, freedom is about having the right to move around without compromising your privacy or having controls on your choices, not about the physical means of doing so. In the case of guns, in any context outside of the most stupid amendment in any constitution outside the Islamic world and North Korea, it's really about having security against aggression and crime, and having guns is a band-aid on a festering wound instead of a real cure.

I have a different concept of freedom, and I know I could never even talk about it with a very large fraction of the people over there. But whatever, do what you want within your borders. I suggest giving everyone in the USA access to Predator drones and Hellfires, just as long as they stay in the USA. And here that "everyone" includes fertilized eggs.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next