Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 pm 

Here is an interview from Rami from Convulse, where he claims that the band is currently writing new material and will be recording a new 7" EP (to be released at the end of the year), and later a new full length (to be released at the end of next year):

http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.sg/2012 ... -rami.html

I am excited to hear this music. "World Without God" is one of my favorite CD's, and I heard their other album, "Reflections", once and thought it was pretty good for what it was. For those who haven't heard it, it's more on the "rock" side, but there are still guttural growls and some blast beats on it. However, in the interview, Rami confirms that this sound will not be continued for the next album, which is probably for the best, anyway.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:01 pm 

I liked Reflections, it was an interesting sort of groove death 'n' roll thing but was done well. WWG was on a whole nother level though. I'm looking forward to anything they put out, a fair few of these old bands reforming have put out solid releases.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 pm 

i've only heard world without god, absolutely love the album..odd i haven't heard any of their other stuff.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:34 pm 

I sincerely hope it's nothing like the Purtenance comeback.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:15 am 

IdiotFlesh wrote:
I sincerely hope it's nothing like the Purtenance comeback.

Don't know about you but I thought the new Purtenance MCD was pretty damn good. Sounds heavy and mean.

I had a chance to see Convulse live two weeks ago but unfortunately sound was so bad that I couldn't concentrate on following their gig at all.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:10 am 

Agreeing with IdiotFlesh. Purtenance was garbage. Really hope Convulse don't end up the same way.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:27 am 

While World Without God is pretty stellar, among the best that Finland of that time has to offer, I don't really have high expectations of the new material. It is a very rare band that can capture the magic of twenty years ago after a reunion.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:43 am 

triggerhappy wrote:
Agreeing with IdiotFlesh. Purtenance was garbage. Really hope Convulse don't end up the same way.

I'm on the same boat. It's hard to be excited about a band releasing a new metal album when they gave up metal long ago and only released one noteworthy album.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:06 am 

I'm betting they'll return to death metal for this new album. If it will be any good however I can't say. The same can be said about Demigod, according to an interview I've seen they have their old songwriter from the "Slumber..."-days back, so they will probably also be returning to death metal, but again it can't be known whether it'll be any good before we hear it. Playing death metal obviously doesn't mean it'll be good, just look at Adramelech, they still played death metal on their later albums, and while they were relatively solid, the magic of "Psychostasia" was gone. As for Purtenance, well, I'll say for their new EP that it was solid as well. Didn't blow me away, but it's entertaining enough to spin every now and then.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 am 

droneriot wrote:
I'm betting they'll return to death metal for this new album. If it will be any good however I can't say. The same can be said about Demigod, according to an interview I've seen they have their old songwriter from the "Slumber..."-days back, so they will probably also be returning to death metal, but again it can't be known whether it'll be any good before we hear it. Playing death metal obviously doesn't mean it'll be good, just look at Adramelech, they still played death metal on their later albums, and while they were relatively solid, the magic of "Psychostasia" was gone. As for Purtenance, well, I'll say for their new EP that it was solid as well. Didn't blow me away, but it's entertaining enough to spin every now and then.

I have to admit that seeing Demigod this summer got me excited about the prospect of new material. They were so very good...better than listening to the Slumber record in fact, since the sound was just far more weighty and powerful.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:03 pm 

The thing about Convulse and Purtenance is that those bands released a monstrous DM album and then disappeared from the metal scene. Now they're returning to try and revive their legacy with some new DM works, which is fine by me, although if they're back to release bland material for the sake of revival then I'm not very interested. The new Purtenance EP isn't vomit inducing, however it is bland and uninspired. I expected more from such a band, and by extension the same thing will be true for Convulse.

Demigod and Andramelech never stopped being DM throughout their careers but they suffer from the "curse of the monolithic debut", which is the same to say that they've released some of the best debut albums in the scene and then the inspiration went to the gutter and nothing ever since has been able to recapture that magic. And honestly I don't think they'll ever release something nearly as good. Those albums were made in a specific, some call it magical, period in time than can't be replicated by osmosis.

One thing that all the bands in the Finnish DM scene have in common is the fact that they never lasted much, but the early legacy they've left us with has endured time.

Sinistrous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm 

androdion wrote:
Demigod and Andramelech never stopped being DM throughout their careers but they suffer from the "curse of the monolithic debut", which is the same to say that they've released some of the best debut albums in the scene and then the inspiration went to the gutter and nothing ever since has been able to recapture that magic.

On the same lines as you, seeing as that new Purtenance isn't really worth much, Demigod has gone stale and Adramelech... don't even get me started. Necromancy is an evil thing, be it people or metal band. Some bands manage to come back strong like Autopsy or Profanatica, but the fear, the dread... Just let the dead dream.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:49 pm 

The second Adramelech is still pretty great, the first two or three songs are boring, but after that its pretty much as good as Psychostasia.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:39 pm 

Yeah, can't really say I'm looking forward to this either. It's very rare for a band to be able to comeback 10, 15 years later with something relevant to say (see: Monotheist).

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:26 am 

androdion wrote:
One thing that all the bands in the Finnish DM scene have in common is the fact that they never lasted much, but the early legacy they've left us with has endured time.

apart from sentenced (which obviously stopped doing death metal pretty early on, but whatever)

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:59 am 

Here are some samples of new material (from the up-coming 7"):

"Inner Evil"
http://soundcloud.com/raymo33/convulse- ... vil-sample

"God is Delusion"
http://soundcloud.com/raymo33/convulse-god-is-delusion

The full versions are about 6+ minutes long according to Rami. I think that this stuff is really exciting, it has the classic Convulse sound, but it definitely feels like something else. I'll admit that the production is a bit thin, but the riffs are definitely there, and the vocals are phenominal.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:46 pm 

joppek wrote:
androdion wrote:

apart from sentenced (which obviously stopped doing death metal pretty early on, but whatever)

I think the fact that bands like Sentenced and Amorphis moved away from death metal after only a couple of albums in that style is merely further proof of Finnish death metal bands inability to continue in the style. There aren't really bands like Unleashed that have kept churning out decent death metal album after album for over two decades. For one thing, the Finnish bands like Rippikoulu, Demilich, Adramelech, Demigod etc. were far superior to Unleashed or anyone like them.

Perhaps it's part of the Finnish mentality. Our sole classical music composer of world-wide fame and renown, Sibelius, never wrote a large number of works, but the amount of effort put into them (and judging from his unfinished works, the amount of ideas scrapped due to lack of perfectly cohesive and seamless application) was breathtaking.

AtomicBeats
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:20 am 

Cool Death Metal from Finland!

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 am 

Here is a new song from the band's up-coming EP.

It sounds amazing, much better than "World Without God".

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:12 am 

Not sure it being better than World Without God... I need to give it a few more listens but already digging it! So much more better than that pos Purtenance release.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:51 am 

I really like it. They didn't go the modern route and the vox are suitably old school.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 am 

enigmatech wrote:
Here is a new song from the band's up-coming EP.

It sounds amazing, much better than "World Without God".

It sounds very good indeed but let's not get carried away, it's a two song EP for fuck's sake! It will however rape and defile anything put out by this new incarnation of Purtenance. Can't wait to hear the other track.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 am 

I dig it, I'll be picking it up.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 am 

It was alright, better than I expected. Certainly not the quality of World Without God and really, nothing that really kept my attention.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 am 

It's not a bad song, but there are better bands from Finland like Desecresy. I think this will probably get more attention than it deserves simply because it has the name "Convulse" on it.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 am 

And what's wrong with that? If they put out something shitty then I'd agree with the sentiment, but given that they release quality material what's wrong with bearing a legacy? Desecresy are pretty good but aren't they aping the teachings of an old dead scene? At least Convulse were a part of it and aren't "retroing" for the sake of it. They're just doing their thing.

I'm just bummed that they couldn't record a couple more songs for this EP. Two songs and 12 minutes feels like too little to me after all this time.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 pm 

Because when an old group comes together again, you put higher expectations on them than a new - or in Desecresy's case a continuing - band. When a band like Convulse comes together and decide to release new material, you'd think it would be something that they'd be proud of, something they think worthwhile, something at least as good as what they did before. Of course, this is very rarely the case, especially when it all happens years and years later, with all the band members grown up and losing that spark and passion to life's daily grind. This feels like they're going "oh, this sounds enough like the old material, let's just go with it". A lot of the new bands might be aping something dead - or worshipping at the altar of a dead pantheon. But their (or rather their predecessor, Slugathor and other bands like them) aping is what has resurrected this particular scene. Of particular note is the fact that what they're doing sounds more deliberate, more deliberately malevolent than what the originators did. The reason why I personally like a lot of the new guard more than the old stuff is the fact that the old stuff seems like a bunch of kids trying to find their way in the dark, while the new guard are much more deliberate about the malevolence in their music, which ends up with it being a lot more atmospheric.

Going a bit off-topic so pardon me for that.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:51 pm 

I just like the overall sound even more than "World Without God". That was a masterpiece of an album, don't get me wrong, but in my opinion this carries on from that sound without feeling like it came from the same album, or like the band are trying to "re-live" something. It feels natural, and manages to keep together the band's classic sound while still bringing something new and interesting to the table.

It also may have to do with the fact that I am only 19. I was not even born yet when "World Without God" was initially released, so maybe I have a slightly deeper personal connection with this because I'm seeing it be released for myself. Either way, Convulse is awesome, and I love the new song, so I can't wait to hear the new album!! :headbang:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
Because when an old group comes together again, you put higher expectations on them than a new - or in Desecresy's case a continuing - band. When a band like Convulse comes together and decide to release new material, you'd think it would be something that they'd be proud of, something they think worthwhile, something at least as good as what they did before. Of course, this is very rarely the case, especially when it all happens years and years later, with all the band members grown up and losing that spark and passion to life's daily grind. This feels like they're going "oh, this sounds enough like the old material, let's just go with it". A lot of the new bands might be aping something dead - or worshipping at the altar of a dead pantheon. But their (or rather their predecessor, Slugathor and other bands like them) aping is what has resurrected this particular scene. Of particular note is the fact that what they're doing sounds more deliberate, more deliberately malevolent than what the originators did. The reason why I personally like a lot of the new guard more than the old stuff is the fact that the old stuff seems like a bunch of kids trying to find their way in the dark, while the new guard are much more deliberate about the malevolence in their music, which ends up with it being a lot more atmospheric.

Going a bit off-topic so pardon me for that.

Not at all man, and I can understand and sympathize with this sentiment. I just think that sometimes there's a group of people that can't stand old bands reuniting and releasing new material after long breaks on principle alone. And by the way, big Slugathor/Desecresy fan here too so I can vouch for their material being great. I just think that there's enough room in the world for both old and new trying to rekindle the flame. ;)

The new song immediately brought to me this imagery of old Autopsy, and I do think that the song is pretty good. It may be a bit unoriginal but that's never a problem to me if it's made and presented with passion.

Reply to topic