Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:08 am 

So I noticed Zouille & Hantson as a band in the band queue and it got me to check out a couple of songs, looks like mostly re-recorded songs though.

Sortilège

Zouille is still sounding great, obviously not as good as he did 30 years ago but It's good to see him getting back into recording some tunes. Looks like he has retained a decent part of his range, only really can't hit the super highs.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 am 

Cryptic Ones sounds nice. Is it just me or do you guys hear a slight black metal influence on riffing? I agree with Cauldron_Born in that the vocals (especially when the singer lose the falsetto) sound somewhat like Tecchio's. Cool stuff.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 pm 

Guys, where do i start with Steel Prophet? I've heard songs here and there i think, over the last few years, but can't really remember them. I am playing with them next year, and want to familiarise myself with their work. Is that recent compilation a good start? What about the early demos? The recent albums? Older ones?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 pm 

The_Erlking wrote:
Cryptic Ones sounds nice. Is it just me or do you guys hear a slight black metal influence on riffing? I agree with Cauldron_Born in that the vocals (especially when the singer lose the falsetto) sound somewhat like Tecchio's. Cool stuff.

Yeah, there's definitely black metal influence in there. I heard these tracks back when Alex posted it on Facebook, it's good stuff. I like Tecchio's vocals and like them in Cryptic Ones too, so maybe there's a correlation there.

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:46 pm 

Looking for recommendations for bands similar to Shatter Messiah? I already know of Nevermore.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:25 pm 

BreedingtheSpawn wrote:
Looking for recommendations for bands similar to Shatter Messiah? I already know of Nevermore.

Imagika should do the trick for you. They always reminded me a bit of 80s Metallica + Iced Earth, and so did Shatter Messiah. :V

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:02 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Guys, where do i start with Steel Prophet?

Dark Hallucinations!

Quote:
I've heard songs here and there i think, over the last few years, but can't really remember them. I am playing with them next year, and want to familiarise myself with their work. Is that recent compilation a good start? What about the early demos? The recent albums? Older ones?

Skip everything after DH but their early stuff is pretty good.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:15 pm 

BreedingtheSpawn wrote:

You could try Archetype, the band the singer from Shatter Messiah was in before. They're less thrashy and aggressive and more proggy USPM, but the manic style is still there.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:17 am 

I just chime in to say my happiness knows no bounds. After long periods of searching I finally have my three holy grails of USPM on CD! Namely:

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction (Metalcore Records edition)
Liege Lord - Freedom's Rise (1996 Black Dragon Records CD)
Griffin - Flight Of The Griffin (Steamhammer mid-price serie CD)

Really happy about that last one - it was tough to track down but worth EVERY penny paid for it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 pm 

Why did I never listen to Leatherwolf before? Pretty darn cool. "Black Knight"!

Also, here you guys go:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5472_n.jpg
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:36 pm 

What do you comrades know about Heavens Gate? I just found them, but would like to have a couple of recommendations as a starting point. Really don't know where to head with their music.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:15 pm 

I've heard their first few releases and Heaven's Gate is middling to decent German power metal with some prog touches for the most part. Nothing to write home about, but not really awful either. Just start at the beginning and work forward, I guess. However, stay the FUCK away from their "In the Mood" EP, which is 'unplugged' and basically like boring jazz/modern rock versions of their songs (plus some originals, I think). I remember one of the songs being decent but it's 75% shit.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 pm 

Ah, thanks FSM. Will do as such. Also, jazz/modern rock versions of German power metal songs? :ugh:

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 am 

I remember Livin' In Hystera being a pretty cool album. Nothing amazing, but some really fun tracks on there. That's all I ever bothered to check out though. They have that album called Menergy. All I can think of when I see it is that Powerthirst video. Obviously I'd never be able to give the album a serious listen now.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:16 am 

Heavens Gate debut has a few killer cuts too but I think on Living in Hysteria they have more personality + the title track is just crazy (in a good way) and still the only one I've bought.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 pm 

Man, I'm listening to Riot's Sons of Society and Mike Dimeo really blows. He's such a cheesy Joe Lynn Turner/David Coverversion crooner! He's got no edge to his voice, and that's exactly what a Riot singer needs. Seriously, he ruins spoils any good material present on this release (even on the good tracks he has to give it some "Mmmmm, baby!").

Conclusion: sucks.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:29 pm 

I'm on a power/speed/thrash binge again, currently getting my ass torn apart by Skeptics Apocalypse. Any bands in this style I might have missed? I already know Holy Terror, Flotsam and Jetsam, Iron Angel, Witchhammer, Toxik, etc. Anything is game as long as the vocals are somewhat clean. Harsh vocals just don't do much for me in this style.

EDIT: Holy hell, where has this been all my life? Highly recommended.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:26 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
I'm on a power/speed/thrash binge again, currently getting my ass torn apart by Skeptics Apocalypse. Any bands in this style I might have missed? I already know Holy Terror, Flotsam and Jetsam, Iron Angel, Witchhammer, Toxik, etc. Anything is game as long as the vocals are somewhat clean. Harsh vocals just don't do much for me in this style.

EDIT: Holy hell, where has this been all my life? Highly recommended.

Yeah, HAVE MERCY is a great pick for this style. That EP is really underrated.

Make sure you check out both albums from my band TEMPLE OF BLOOD, if you haven't already.

I would recommend DEADLY BLESSING ("Ascend", "Psycodrama", and "Eye to the Past") as well as ALTERED STATE. Also BRAINICIDE's demo w/ Tim Owens on vocals.

What about IMMACULATE's latest album or SPACE EATER?

I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:38 pm 

Well Joph, you could could check out Hades' Resisting Success, as it's your typical American power/thrash with a technical edge. In other words; it's bloody wonderful.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 pm 

I've revisited Crimson Glory's first 2 albums and they've finally seem to click. So far I can't really tell which is my fav. Both got real killer songs. ''In Dark Places'' is prob my favourite song of them at the moment: some riffing remind me of And Justice for Allera Metallica - yes, that's a good thing!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 pm 

I've always liked the debut most, but seem to be in the minority here. Either way both are legendary.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 pm 

Nah, I also prefer the debut over Transcendence, if only by a hair.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:20 am 

It's strange. I've been listening to metal for about 5 years now, and I haven't ever listened to Crimson Glory, I think at least. Maybe it's time to see if that's something for me. I do after all like many other bands in the same genre.

By the way, I just have to say that I have really gotten into Satan's Host lately, thanks to you guys saying such good words about them. I just discovered that 25th anniversary album, and I FUCKING LOVE IT! Are there any other bands doing this same sorta thing? I already know of Desultor and Hell (even though I wouldn't say Hell are doing the exact same thing, but you get the point).

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:04 am 

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:
It's strange. I've been listening to metal for about 5 years now, and I haven't ever listened to Crimson Glory, I think at least. Maybe it's time to see if that's something for me. I do after all like many other bands in the same genre.

I put off listening to them for a few years as well, dumbest mistake ever. The band is absolutely one of my favourites and will likely continue to be.

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:
By the way, I just have to say that I have really gotten into Satan's Host lately, thanks to you guys saying such good words about them. I just discovered that 25th anniversary album, and I FUCKING LOVE IT! Are there any other bands doing this same sorta thing? I already know of Desultor and Hell (even though I wouldn't say Hell are doing the exact same thing, but you get the point).

There's nothing really like em out there at the moment. I've heard people say Charred Walls of the Damned are kind of like 'em but I've never listened to them so I dunno. Have you picked up By the Hands of the Devil, because that CD is the bomb. Also check out the current Swedish scene with bands like Portrait and In Solitude.

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:43 am 

Hi guys! I've been absent from this thread for a long time now, but was wondering if you could help me out with finding a band.
I remember a Portuguese (or maybe Italian, in which case I'm certain it's not Dark Quarterer or Adramelch) being praised here. I think the band pic had a mixture of old and young guys, if that helps. Can anyone think of what this band could be?

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
ShadeOfDarkness wrote:

I put off listening to them for a few years as well, dumbest mistake ever. The band is absolutely one of my favourites and will likely continue to be.

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:

There's nothing really like em out there at the moment. I've heard people say Charred Walls of the Damned are kind of like 'em but I've never listened to them so I dunno. Have you picked up By the Hands of the Devil, because that CD is the bomb. Also check out the current Swedish scene with bands like Portrait and In Solitude.

Alright. I will check out Crimson Glory then! :)

Oh yeah, By The Hands of The Devil is fucking unbelievable! I have been listening to that one for weeks already, and it blows my mind every time! I just discovered the celebration album a few days ago though, and had to say a few words about it. Yeah, Charred Walls of The Damned has kinda got a similar thing going. And it also helps that Tim is as good of a singer as he is, so that's definitely not a bad comparison.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:34 am 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Hi guys! I've been absent from this thread for a long time now, but was wondering if you could help me out with finding a band.
I remember a Portuguese (or maybe Italian, in which case I'm certain it's not Dark Quarterer or Adramelch) being praised here. I think the band pic had a mixture of old and young guys, if that helps. Can anyone think of what this band could be?

Could it be Raising Fear? I haven't been here for that long, so it might be wrong. But they're Italian at least, and pretty good as well.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:03 pm 

I've always preferred Crimson Glory's debut to the follow-up - which I don't really like all that much anyway. But then, it's never been a secret my tastes tend to differ with most of the regulars around here. The debut is definitely quality stuff, anyway. Every song except "Mayday" is a winner in my book. More traditional metal than most of the WCUSPM stuff, though. Screamer are the only band that ever seemed all that similar to them to me.

@Temple of Blood: Yeah, I found Have Mercy based on your recommendation of them in the thrash thread awhile ago, actually. I've checked out a couple songs from the first album of your band, but the vocals didn't do much for me. Definitely some good stuff going on there, and I won't say the vocalist (that's not you, is it? >_>) isn't talented, just not really my thing. Deadly Blessing and Altered State are both good, although the production on the latter is so atrocious it's hard for me to listen to, I might get the remaster eventually.

As for Brainicide, Immaculate, and Space Eater, I have yet to give them a listen, definitely will do so though. I also found Tourniquet based on your recommendation, and their debut is pretty awesome stuff. Is any of their later stuff good? The song I heard from their newest album sounded like generic symphonic crap.

@Xlxlx: I've known Hades for awhile now, never really did much for me. Thanks for the rec though! I've been blasting Paradox quite a bit lately too, definitely up there with Agent Steel, Holy Terror, late 80s Helstar, etc. Death Angel's debut is pretty damn good too, more melodic than I thought it would be.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:42 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:

You might dig Deceptor... vocals are a bit gruff but not overly so.
http://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.co ... f-delusion

http://deceptor.bandcamp.com/
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:32 pm 

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:

This is a really long shot (and I mean, a really long shot) but there's a band called "Blood Revolt" which features members of the Canadian "war" metal bands Axis of Advance and Revenge plus the singer of Primordial. Basically, it's super-harsh black/death metal with the Primordial singer caterwauling over it. The vocals aren't nearly as refined as Conklin's, and the instruments are way more raw and true to the death/black metal sound. But it's still extreme metal with clean singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GakQDxHQCG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmbFSy7zJvs
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:42 pm 

I have been listening to a lot of Brocas Helm the past week and I love how medieval the music can sound without resorting to the clichéd use of folk instruments. What other bands of their ilk pull this off?

odinofasgard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:04 pm 

I've recently been trying to get into power metal more in depth. Can anyone suggest the essential power metal albums that every fan should hear/have in his collection? Also I really like the song I Want Out by Helloween, any songs with that same feel to it?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:56 pm 

This Trail of Murder album is quite good but it's really overlong. It's just too much of the same that should have cut a little shorter.

I know Empyreal will disagree with me but what does the rest think? :p

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:01 pm 

colin040 wrote:
This Trail of Murder album is quite good but it's really overlong. It's just too much of the same that should have cut a little shorter.

It feels too short to me really. It seems to fly by whenever I listen to it. And a lot of the songs aren't really that long at all.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
colin040 wrote:

It feels too short to me really. It seems to fly by whenever I listen to it. And a lot of the songs aren't really that long at all.

:lol: Again, this statement shows we never agree with eachother. Dunno man, but for this sort of heavy metal that's really not varied, 35-40 minutes of music would be enough for me.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:07 pm 

Guys what is the general opinion on Pantera's "Power Metal" around these parts? A great, underrated as hell power/thrash album or just a slab of songs that cannot seem to find direction? I personally am in the first camp and firmly believe that is probably the best Pantera output ever. The title song alone and "Burnnn" or "Death Trap" are great speed metal killers.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:20 am 

Anyone ever listen to Chroming Rose? You know...that Helloween clone (well, one of the earliest ones)? Take a listen to their last album Insight and try to count how many top 40 songs they "borrowed" from. It's fucking bizarre.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 am 

Element_man wrote:
ShadeOfDarkness wrote:

This is a really long shot (and I mean, a really long shot) but there's a band called "Blood Revolt" which features members of the Canadian "war" metal bands Axis of Advance and Revenge plus the singer of Primordial. Basically, it's super-harsh black/death metal with the Primordial singer caterwauling over it. The vocals aren't nearly as refined as Conklin's, and the instruments are way more raw and true to the death/black metal sound. But it's still extreme metal with clean singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GakQDxHQCG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmbFSy7zJvs

Wow. I gotta say, this is pretty interesting. I have never heard anything like this. Really dig the vocals, and yeah, you basically said it, the music is intense as hell! In addition to this, I also think I should check out Primordial now. Thanks a lot for that rec!

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 am 

Zdan wrote:
Guys what is the general opinion on Pantera's "Power Metal" around these parts? A great, underrated as hell power/thrash album or just a slab of songs that cannot seem to find direction? I personally am in the first camp and firmly believe that is probably the best Pantera output ever. The title song alone and "Burnnn" or "Death Trap" are great speed metal killers.

I just picked it up recently, its a damn shame they didn't release more material like that, and unless they start again it will likely be the only Pantera album I own.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:10 pm 

Yeah, I really dig Power Metal, and much like The Animator^, it will probably be the only record I will pick up from these guys. Ever ask a Pantera fan if they like Power Metal? Classic responses ensue. Half don't even realize the band made that album :ugh:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372 ... 624  Next