Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:51 pm 

The new Mors Principum Est album is streaming here: http://www.inferno.fi/uutiset/inferno-t ... -est-levy/

I'm listening to it, and so far it sounds like a slightly updated and even more modernized version of what they've always been doing. I don't remember keyboards being so prominent in their music but it's been a while and I'm planning on doing some revisiting because this is quality. The songs always carry a sense of momentum, and the solos are awesome as they always have been. I don't see this becoming a legendary album, but it's very enjoyable. Thoughts?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:45 pm 

Departure was alright until those vocals kicked in. Holy fucking shit, those were terrible.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:40 pm 

I think the vocals are fine for the genre.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 pm 

What was the reason for such a long gap between the last album and this one anyway?

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:18 pm 

Line up changes, I presume.

Lol

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 pm 

I think there's been a decrease of vocal melodeaths fans on MA in the last few years, but hopefully this one should reel some of them back in. Further listens will determine staying power, but on first listen it stacks up nicely to their old stuff, falling only slightly short.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:11 pm 

I've always been a huge fan of quality melodeath, and I loved Mors' earlier stuff a lot. A quick listen will determine whether or not it stands up, but I'm hopeful.

Upon first listen, I'd have to agree with Necro. Fast-paced, energetic, stands up just fine with their older stuff. For the record, his vocals are the same as they've always been. Quality, if not fantastic, and better than a lot of that metalcore-esque vocal style that's been floating around the genre in recent years.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 am 

This band has always been the only melodeath band I've liked in addition to Insomnium (melodic death metal aside). Both different kind of bands, but yeah. Anyhow, currently on the first track - sounds good so far. Good melodies, energy without sounding flaccid and overly sugary like most "melodeath". The keys also seem more prominent, but in a less industrial-esque way. Not bad! Of course, this is just the 1st track, so I will give my opinion on the full disc later, but I was wondering what happened with these guys a while ago, so it's nice to hear some more material!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:32 am 

Probably one of the fruitiest Finnish melodeath bands. Some of their earlier material is listenable, some of the later electronica-bastardised stuff is completely despicable.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:44 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Probably one of the fruitiest Finnish melodeath bands. Some of their earlier material is listenable, some of the later electronica-bastardised stuff is completely despicable.

Really? I can understand your point in general, because melodeath is really fruity in general, but I fail to see how MPE would be fruitier than, say, Imperanon or all those noodle-y as hell bands. I think MPE's approach is pretty fun to listen to; sure it is earcandy-metal, but it's fast-paced with solid musicianship and without the annoying metalcore-esque quirks and boredom. These guys are avoiding everything I don't like about bands like Arch Enemy etc. while the recipe feels similar. So in a way, while it's a mood thing for me, I can appreciate this. Even the electronica-influence is/was nice (haven't heard any on this album so far), not that it was too prominent or jumpdafuck-esque (like modern Blood Stain Child and that other british metalcore band I forgot about). Dunno, I guess.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:27 am 

I haven't heard Imperanon, so admittedly I should've said "one of the fruitiest Finnish melodeathers I've heard." Anyhow, the dance beats and the trance-bastardised melodeath riffing style make it far fruitier than something that's merely a little pretentious, long-winded wankery.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:14 pm 

Fruity this album is not. It's aggressive and technically impressive. It's not all that original, I wouldn't call it a masterwork, but it sure gets my cock hard at all the right moments. Calling Imperanon "a little pretentious, long-winded wankery" is the understatement of the century.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:14 pm 

I've listened to it twice and remember almost nothing about it. The vocalist's comments on every song are below the stream and based on them he doesn't seem to have any sensible things to say. Quite fitting really, the performance is good but the songs are extremely run-of-the-mill melodeath. I'm not a huge fan of the thrashier side but can still appreciate decents album of the like. This is not one of them.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:38 pm 

Well to be honest, I must've heard the odd song or two from this band before but I'm consciously checking this album out via the post on inferno. I'll probably spin it a couple of times, they got some good melodies but nothing spectacular. After 8 songs into my first listen, my gripe with this is...it's too predictable. That's the bane of this genre actually, or rather the specific melodeath style that MPE incorporates. Also, the vocals, for lack of variation, dilute the overall songs a bit. Anyway to give credit to the band, there are some catchy hooks when the vocalist isn't singing.

Orkblut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:32 am 

I got the album today, i like it, Inhumanity is still my favourite, but i think they do a stand up job for that Genre of metal. Better than anything In Flames or Soilwork have released the last few years.
I rate MPE as good party music. I love the guitar solos too.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:01 am 

An acquaintance remarked to me about this album being surprisingly good. It wasn't. Bland vocalizing, Slaughter of the Soul-ish riffing, middle-of-the-road songwriting. Pretty forgettable.

Reply to topic