Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:16 pm 

Varg Vikernes and his wife Marie Cachet released a trailer for their new film "ForeBears", which will be available on DVD via Amazon.com in March 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37wW5rR8624

Summary of the 10+ minute trailer - Lots of video of rock formations in caves, a bit of Varg driving around in a camouflaged 4x4, more video of rock formations in caves, and Varg partaking in some "ancient bear cult" ritual with his wife and kids, wearing animal hides/furs and feathers. The film is advertised as offering a "unique" view on pre-history and unreleased Burzum music, which seems to be skaldic folk music with no black metal except some raspy vocals that are pretty far removed from Burzum's black metal style.

Rather than suggesting a conclusion about what these two are up to, I think you can quickly draw that conclusion on your own with a glance at Varg's piece on "War in Europe" and Marie's writing about whatever this is called.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:34 pm 

Xlxlx and I gave our brief thoughts on that. Just two people using their status to get their beliefs out there, as nutty as it is. The wife's page is quite a spin if you've never seen that type of analysis before.

I feel bad for the kids having to be involved in something this... strange. Olden rituals and culture are already strange to me to begin with, but the parents' angle and views make it less appealing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:39 pm 

I don't give a fuck about his conspiracy theories, but new music of his is always welcome, no matter if it's metal or not.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:40 pm 

Exactly what Ozzy said, though I do guess that this could be quite interesting if the two people involved weren't bigots, nutjobs and extremely biased. As it is though? This won't amount to more than vulgar propaganda for their awful beliefs.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 pm 

Personally I find the moder celebrity/x-factor/reality TV worship to be more damaging than anything Vikernes portrays, be it for the cameras or using his persona to exhude free 'advertising' the same way the early black metal bands did with the church burning and satanism stuff (though none of them actually practised it.)

The guy is just proud of his ancestory and perhaps a little right-wing at times but that's what happens to a guy incarcerated for many years in isolation and outside of todays 'PC Correct' world. Isolation, solitude, and misanthropy are what makes or breaks a persons character.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 pm 

I think this sounds interesting. I usually find that the "crazy" people in the world tend to be either enlightening and/or humorous.

On a side note, I'm genuinely shocked that Varg was both interested in marriage and found a woman itneresting in him.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 pm 

Looks interesting. This is, at least, WAY more interesting than black metallers camping in the forest for no reason, spitting fire or trying to portay their connection with Satan/Pan/Whatever, making them 'better' than the rest.

I find pretty interesting Varg's views on ancient scandinavia and mythology, so I guess I'll watch it.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:21 pm 

I couldn't help but smile when Varg was looking towards the Stave Church. I've been to Bergen once, and I think it was Fantoft.

I'm glad Marie Cachet seems much more willing to communicate with her viewers/readers than Varg is. In the two videos that has been uploaded to her channel, she eagerly responds to most questions. True, she apparently holds many of the same views as her husband, but the focus seems to be about European ancestry, Neanderthals and the ancient Bear Cults.

Oh well, new Burzum music is always appreciated, I guess.

PS: Regarding them using their children; I don't think it'll matter. The boy is using a mask, and we never see the faces of the others. Besides, this it not exactly a high-budget production.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:24 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
On a side note, I'm genuinely shocked that Varg was both interested in marriage and found a woman itneresting in him.

Even Anders Behring Breivik got love letters. I'm not comparing him and Vikernes, but your "shock" is silly.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:53 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:

If the ancient ritual of marriage is good enough for his glorious ancestors, it's good enough for him.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:04 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
vulgar propaganda for their awful beliefs.

Yop, my thoughts exactly. That the guy rants on and on about things like "the sinister Jews" or brag about how cool and natural assassinating his former bandmate was in articles and such, we're used to. His wife, unsurprisingly, seems to be of the school of thought that thinks proving a point consists in throwing complex, seemingly unrelated graphs, broken English and gross bullshit at the reader until they're too mindfucked to notice stuff like "fuck Darwin, you know, there's no way my ancestors were black"....

What's new is mixing it with his actual music, though. Not the wisest move, considering how many fans of his music despise the man and his beliefs.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:17 pm 

Whatever stops him from making music.

His kids should get taken away.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

You speak as if you were forced to listen to his stuff.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:28 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

His kids should get taken away.

Let's stay on subject, alright? I'm sure his children are well and a metal forum is not a place do discuss this.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 pm 

The trailer didn't get me very excited. Just a bunch of shots of cave formations, really. And if it is anything like his writings, I'm sure we'll be in for an hour and half of them praising the great Neanderthal, the superior European human.

Slightly off topic, but it'd be more interesting if Wolves in the Throne Room did a documentary. Embracing things like farming and simple living is a more realistic and respectable way to get back to our roots than dudes driving their cars into the woods to put on tunics and furs around a campfire.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:05 am 

This looks somewhat interesting, but I'm a little more interested in this music. Can anyone tell me if the song used in the trailer is a new song or is it from Umskiptar? I haven't had an opportunity to listen due to hearing such negative things about it.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:19 am 

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the song used in the trailer is a new song or is it from Umskiptar? I haven't had an opportunity to listen due to hearing such negative things about it.

It's Gullaldr, from Umskiptar.

Looking forward to whatever new music is put in the movie - though I'm wondering whether it's brand-new stuff or unreleased outtakes from previous works. Hopefully the music will be available on a CD with the movie, like Nocturno Culto did with The Misanthrope.

SkinMM
Jesus Loves Me (More than You)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:22 am 

The Neanderthal Genome Project is not a conspiracy theory or pseudoscience. As seems to be increasingly common, the left (supposed organ of scientific progress and rationality) has to deny part of its foundational methodology in order to ensure the continued propagation of its egalitarian dogma.

Curious to watch the film.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:18 am 

So maybe we could hold a contest: who has the most Neanderthal genes in him? I know I wouldn't win...

Curious to hear the new music though. Liked Umskiptar, as well as Belus and Fallen. Belus was the best of those though.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:49 pm 

Aren't trailers meant to provide some more info on the actual movie than that?
That's resting on his name alone, purely based on the fact that there was almost NOTHING about the content of the movie in 10min of film.

As for the Neanderthal angle, is the one they're talking about that we (modern humans, at least in Europe) have to some extent Neanderthal DNA? I could be wrong, but I don't think any current schools of thought actually deny that. I guess Varg and his wife are probably going to exaggerate it to the point that they think Europeans and Africans should be taxonomically separate species, but meh. No one's gonna listen to them; it'll be like a second-rate version of one of those made-for-youtube movies about how Sir Francis Bacon is actually Merlin, probably Jesus, wrote all Shakespeare's stuff, and currently controls the US Government.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm 

Turner wrote:
Aren't trailers meant to provide some more info on the actual movie than that?
That's resting on his name alone, purely based on the fact that there was almost NOTHING about the content of the movie in 10min of film.

I assumed the content of the movie was a lot of poorly filmed footage of old caves and playing in bear cult costumes, plus a bunch of pseudoscience in the narration.

Quote:
I guess Varg and his wife are probably going to exaggerate it to the point that they think Europeans and Africans should be taxonomically separate species, but meh. No one's gonna listen to them; it'll be like a second-rate version of one of those made-for-youtube movies about how Sir Francis Bacon is actually Merlin, probably Jesus, wrote all Shakespeare's stuff, and currently controls the US Government.

That's pretty much what Marie Cachet's site is full of - racist nonsense with so many wild references and misinterpretations of other things that viewers can accept it if it matches their preconceived notions. It's actually becoming a popular theory among white supremacists, and it looks better produced than most of the shit that gets sent around in chain emails or shared around the internet from stormfront and national alliance. The ideas behind things like this are to attach a pseudo-intellectual and otherwise appealing artistic elements to ideas that some people are somewhat receptive to. There are a lot of people who are racist to some degree, but very few who are admittedly hardcore white supremacists - a huge example is ill will towards Barack Obama based on his color, something that is rejected by society as a whole, but is encouraged by very large parts of it. If films like this can attach pseudo-intellectual credibility and pseudoscience to reinforce those beliefs, then they gain traction and support.

What I should say is that, rather than raving lunatics like some conspiracy theories, these are much more dangerous and harmful to society because there is still a lot of racism remaining despite the decades, even centuries of work that our society has done to reject those beliefs.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 pm 

raumr wrote:
I couldn't help but smile when Varg was looking towards the Stave Church. I've been to Bergen once, and I think it was Fantoft.

I'm glad Marie Cachet seems much more willing to communicate with her viewers/readers than Varg is. In the two videos that has been uploaded to her channel, she eagerly responds to most questions...but the focus seems to be about European ancestry, Neanderthals and the ancient Bear Cults.

Big fan of the guy's music but Varg's ideology and his blatherings about it on his website are so idiotic to the point of irresistibility as to be comic gold. I never laughed so hard in so long when I last read his blog. I recommend it for a genuine laugh. For someone who champions the "superior Nordic race" or something of the other, I find it hilarious that he admires a species/subspecies (the neanderthals) that didn't exactly make the survival of the fittest cut and are widely used as a metaphor for dumb and ugly in most languages. Bear cults and wind spirits seem something more fascinating and better understood in Native American religions than what he is exploring imo. He should take a gander at that.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:47 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
raumr wrote:

I'm glad Marie Cachet seems much more willing to communicate with her viewers/readers than Varg is. In the two videos that has been uploaded to her channel, she eagerly responds to most questions...but the focus seems to be about European ancestry, Neanderthals and the ancient Bear Cults.

Big fan of the guy's music but Varg's ideology and his blatherings about it on his website are so idiotic to the point of irresistibility as to be comic gold. I never laughed so hard in so long when I last read his blog. I recommend it for a genuine laugh. For someone who champions the "superior Nordic race" or something of the other, I find it hilarious that he admires a species/subspecies (the neanderthals) that didn't exactly make the survival of the fittest cut and are widely used as a metaphor for dumb and ugly in most languages. Bear cults and wind spirits seem something more fascinating and better understood in Native American religions than what he is exploring imo. He should take a gander at that.

The view on neanderthal you speak of is considered to be fairly archaic, based off of more modern discoveries.

Hawksword192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:54 pm 

That view is archaic but they did surely get pushed out by the more intelligent and innovative H. sapiens in Europe. They might not have been stupid but they weren't creative, imaginative, or great at innovation. They were our rugged and tough cousins that could only survive in one era of history and nowhere else.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:01 pm 

And here I thought this would be some kind of "Where like takes us" type of documentary. Well, a lot of pseudo history documentaries are pretty much in style nowadays.

Though I really despise his points of views, I would have at least considered watching the doc before I saw the trailer. That didn't even make any sense!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:24 pm 

Looks like something that would be posted by an Hyperborean Intelectual™ on the stormfront forums

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:12 am 

ahhhhhhhhhrghhhh, they used the Papyrus font :lol: With Comic Sans the most overused and shitty font out there. But then - it is often used for esoteric bullshit (or your asia snack bar around the corner, oh or Lamb of God, haha) like that ;)

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:13 am 

grauer_mausling wrote:
With Comic Sans the most overused and shitty font out there

nooooo!!! comic sans is the best font ever!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:00 am 

I dont see anything interesting in this trailer. No useful images, no interesting comments. Anyway if the docu is liked I will take a look.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 am 

Well, that's exactly what I expected it was going to be. A lot of racist blathering and harebrained "philosophy" from good ol' Uncle Varg. Those are some very nice cave formations, though. Seriously, Varg, just stick to music and leave your philosophy alone. Might be good for a chuckle, though, just like his stupid blog.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 am 

This documentary, and Marie Cachet's blog, seem to be about as credible as the Youtube videos arguing that we're controlled by reptilian overlords from space.
The unfortunate part is, like Zodijackyl mentioned, is there are enough people harbouring borderline racist, and often, outright racist viewpoints, that would totally buy into something ridiculous like this, making it more appealing that our reptilian overlord friends. Her misinterpretation of sources is kind of... astounding. Though I did have a pretty good laugh at why she almost never cites things:

Quote:
[...]but the readers should understand that these materials are under the Code of intellectual property and that I often can not copy them without obtaining specific authorization. This is generally impossible, firstly because of the politically incorrect content of some of the results that I present here, and secondly because these specific authorizations must of course be paid, and I can not pay all my sources .

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 am 

The guy has already exposed himself as an idiot for the last decade with regards to his views on history, the scene, and of course his writings on his site are more inconsistent than we could all shake a stick at. I'm amazed that this is such news sure its a documentary but still we all know how much of an asshat his personal views are, we're beating the skeleton of an already pulverized fully decayed horse.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

TheHellstorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:00 am 

So, according to Louis Cachet... Ekhm... Varg Vikernes, the black man comes from ape and white is descendant of the cave bear?

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am 

TheHellstorm wrote:
So, according to Louis Cachet... Ekhm... Varg Vikernes, the black man comes from ape and white is descendant of the cave bear?

Yes. By the way, here's an official promotional shot of Varg wearing spiritual armour from the recording sessions for the next Burzum album:

Spoiler: show

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:04 am 

kapala wrote:
This documentary, and Marie Cachet's blog, seem to be about as credible as the Youtube videos arguing that we're controlled by reptilian overlords from space.
The unfortunate part is, like Zodijackyl mentioned, is there are enough people harbouring borderline racist, and often, outright racist viewpoints, that would totally buy into something ridiculous like this, making it more appealing that our reptilian overlord friends. Her misinterpretation of sources is kind of... astounding. Though I did have a pretty good laugh at why she almost never cites things:

Quote:
[...]but the readers should understand that these materials are under the Code of intellectual property and that I often can not copy them without obtaining specific authorization. This is generally impossible, firstly because of the politically incorrect content of some of the results that I present here, and secondly because these specific authorizations must of course be paid, and I can not pay all my sources .

I don't know any researcher who wouldn't be delighted to be cited anywhere, even on that cult nonsense website.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:49 pm 

Hawksword192 wrote:
That view is archaic but they did surely get pushed out by the more intelligent and innovative H. sapiens in Europe. They might not have been stupid but they weren't creative, imaginative, or great at innovation. They were our rugged and tough cousins that could only survive in one era of history and nowhere else.

Right, I mean -- that's the whole point of this alter-philosophical view. They are disputing that Neandrathal was supplanted by migrating H. Sapien.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 pm 

Expedience wrote:

I don't know any researcher who wouldn't be delighted to be cited anywhere, even on that cult nonsense website.

Exactly. And there was something about not citing anything that comes from a book, because no one will buy the books to look it up. What?
I mean, it's been awhile since I studied, but is that really how things fly these days? :lol: (I know it's not, I'm joking...)

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 pm 

soul_schizm wrote:
Right, I mean -- that's the whole point of this alter-philosophical view. They are disputing that Neandrathal was supplanted by migrating H. Sapien.

Unfortunately for me (I have no life) I read a fair few of Cachet's blog entries on the subject a few hours ago. The core of their argument seems to be:

- all existing humans (and Neanderthal) have ca. 96% of their DNA in common with Chimpanzees, our nearest non-hominid ancestor.
- The leftover ~4% in the case of Europeans is overwhelmingly Neanderthal-specific
- Africans (the real Homo sapiens) have 0% of this Neanderthal DNA, because Neanderthals never ventured outside Europe
- ergo, all Europeans are almost 100% Neanderthal (with some small % of sapiens DNA thanks to migration and such)
- ergo ergo, (and this takes some willingness to believe) Africans are only slightly more related to Europeans than chimps

There's also a part on how the small % of "mixed" DNA in Europeans created some kind of existential crisis within European humans and somehow the resulting fallout gave way to culture, the arts, burzum, etc. Not too sure how they explain African cultures and artforms in this respect.

Sadly, the layout of her website is really hard to follow, and the terminology/stats I don't rightly understand are further made harder to understand with her terrible English. But I think that's what they're saying.

But on the citations note, absolutely NO SCHOLAR EVER wants to be associated in any way with these sorts of nuts. It's like when politicians with anti-immigration policies attract neo-nazis to their rallies.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:57 am 

Turner wrote:
But on the citations note, absolutely NO SCHOLAR EVER wants to be associated in any way with these sorts of nuts. It's like when politicians with anti-immigration policies attract neo-nazis to their rallies.

Not similar at all. Academic research isn't politics.

But even so, Cachet has it the wrong way round - NOT citing your sources is a misuse of intellectual property. You have to acknowledge where you got your info. Using a quote is fine if you say who you got it from, and you don't have to pay them. The idea of someone suing her for giving them due credit is ridiculous.

Hawksword192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:06 am 

Turner wrote:
soul_schizm wrote:

Unfortunately for me (I have no life) I read a fair few of Cachet's blog entries on the subject a few hours ago. The core of their argument seems to be:

- all existing humans (and Neanderthal) have ca. 96% of their DNA in common with Chimpanzees, our nearest non-hominid ancestor.
- The leftover ~4% in the case of Europeans is overwhelmingly Neanderthal-specific
- Africans (the real Homo sapiens) have 0% of this Neanderthal DNA, because Neanderthals never ventured outside Europe
- ergo, all Europeans are almost 100% Neanderthal (with some small % of sapiens DNA thanks to migration and such)
- ergo ergo, (and this takes some willingness to believe) Africans are only slightly more related to Europeans than chimps

There's also a part on how the small % of "mixed" DNA in Europeans created some kind of existential crisis within European humans and somehow the resulting fallout gave way to culture, the arts, burzum, etc. Not too sure how they explain African cultures and artforms in this respect.

Sadly, the layout of her website is really hard to follow, and the terminology/stats I don't rightly understand are further made harder to understand with her terrible English. But I think that's what they're saying.

Thanks for summing her views up for me. I can easily say that this absolutely pseudo-scientific bullshit that won't be sourced because no scientific paper have ever been produced nearing anything so insane. It's true that Europeans (and Asians) have a small percentage (1-3%) of Neanderthal DNA (which I remind would nearly be virtually identical to H. sapien) due to crossbreeding as H. sapiens moved into Europe 40,000 years ago, but to insinuate from this sliver of Neanderthal specific relation as evidence for the continued existence of the Neanderthal into the present is bullshit. H. sapiens replaced the Neanderthals because H. sapiens were smarter, more creative, and significantly better at inventing new tools to deal with their surroundings as proven from the artifacts found in sites roughly contemporary H. sapien sites to Neanderthal sites. The truly hilarious thing on regards to all of this is that the Neanderthals were out-competed because the cold environment adaptations were inferior to their cousins ingenuity especially when their environments began to rapidly fluctuate from Ice Age to warmer weather. Neanderthals did create tools and were quite intelligent but they weren't good enough at adapting to their surroundings.

Also before I forget, I'm not completely up to date on Neanderthal site discoveries but I'm still pretty sure there has been no definitive evidence that Neanderthals were capable of abstract and symbolic thought unlike the plethora of evidence for H. sapiens as old as 50,000 years ago. The Vikernes must have balls though to claim that culture arose from an existentialist crisis in a group of people supposedly derived from a H. sapiens subspecies that if alive today would be boring and unimaginative. While they likely weren't stupid, they're not the ubermensch all these Stormfront kids would have you believe ever since they found out that Neanderthal crossbreeding did occur.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next