Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:37 am 

Probably a tough one as this is one of the most unique and amazing black metal bands I've ever heard, but I was wanting to know if anyone knew of any other stuff that sounds similar to the LP releases within the 1997 - 2004 time frame (A Dead Poem; Sleep of the Angels; Khronos; Genesis; Sanctus Diavolos), mostly in terms of their unique and dark atmospheres and melodies.

Some songs off of each album I'll use as examples:

A Dead Poem:

Sorrowful Farewell
Among Two Storms
A Dead Poem

Mostly every song off of Sleep of the Angels.

Khronos:
You Are I
Art of Sin
Fateless

Every song off of Genesis.

Sanctus Diavolos:
You My Cross
Thy Wings, Thy Horns, Thy Sin
Sanctimonius

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:16 am 

in for results...

EDIT: Septicflesh also works OP, just replace Sakis' raspy vocals with growling

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 am 

Rotting Christ are WAY better than Septic Flesh; and frankly, it has nothing to do. One is melodic BM the other is symphonic DM.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:42 am 

yes but they do have quite a bit of similarities, the atmospheric elements and the use of symphonies and dark melodies, for example.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:41 am 

MalignantTyrant is right. Early Septicflesh is quite similar in terms of atmosphere. You should also look into the other 'standard' Greek BM bands (necromantia, varathron) if you havent already as they also play a style that at the very least shares some similarities with RC.
Maybe some Astarte too. Maaaybe some Thou Art Lord too (though they're a little different).

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:19 am 

As much as I think Rotting Christ are good, original, and inventive, I always wondered why Septic Flesh were often mentioned in a same breath. To me, they are just lame and vapid -with the notable exception of Communion where they gave their best.

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:20 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
MalignantTyrant is right. Early Septicflesh is quite similar in terms of atmosphere. You should also look into the other 'standard' Greek BM bands (necromantia, varathron) if you havent already as they also play a style that at the very least shares some similarities with RC.
Maybe some Astarte too. Maaaybe some Thou Art Lord too (though they're a little different).

really? Just like some question recommending Septicflesh for Rotting Christ similiarities, I don't get those bands being recommended either. If you're looking for something similar to old school, early-mid 90s RC maybe, but modern RC? None of those bands sound very much like post-Triarchy RC at all.

BastardHead wrote:

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 pm 

I already am aware and quite fond of a few of Septicflesh's albums actually, especially The Great Mass <3. I found it awesome when I learned Christos Antoniou did the choir arrangements for RC's Sanctus Diavolos and Theogonia.

Poisonfume wrote:

Oh cools. Thanks.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:25 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:

really? Just like some question recommending Septicflesh for Rotting Christ similiarities, I don't get those bands being recommended either. If you're looking for something similar to old school, early-mid 90s RC maybe, but modern RC? None of those bands sound very much like post-Triarchy RC at all.

They're as similar as I can think of. Nothing really sounds like Rotting Christ in any of its eras.
I'd recommend Divine Element too, sort of.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:16 pm 

Alan from Primordial has said in an interview somewhere that early Primordial was influenced by Rotting Christ, and there is certainly a dark metal atmosphere on Imrama and A Journey's End which can attest to that. Lots of folks forget those early albums since the sound is not as epic, but more brooding and blackened.

Crow Black Sky from South Africa has been getting lots of hype lately on the boards, and I think you would enjoy them as well; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glNN76ilUh0

Also, Forest Stream are a Russian band I've just discovered that sound like a cross between Dimmu Borgir, Katatonia and Agalloch, so that their sound comes our as a mix of epic melodic black/dark/death-doom (as wordy as it sounds this band mixes it up a ton) but I think you may enjoy them nonetheless, as the ultimate sound is along the dark/gothic atmosphere of mid-era Rotting Christ: http://youtu.be/x8vZIOL9HX4

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:47 pm 

Im in for more recomendations, i do get the SF/RC resemblance althought its not the first band that would come to my mind.
Crow Black Sky! such a great band! im really enjoying their stuff! thanks Nyaricus!

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 am 

IanThrash wrote:
Im in for more recomendations, i do get the SF/RC resemblance althought its not the first band that would come to my mind.
Crow Black Sky! such a great band! im really enjoying their stuff! thanks Nyaricus!

Enjoy 'em! I know I was pleasantly surprised with the quality.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 pm 

Well so far, both Primordial's albums recommended here sounded a little like a non-doom blackened My Dying Bride to me. Nothing really like RC, but it was certainly listenable, given that I love My Dying Bride anyway :P

Thou Art Lord was okay, sounded like early RC; kinda boring. Same goes for Necromatia, though it was slightly more interesting.

I've yet to check out any others yet, but I will update this when I do.

Tired
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:38 am 

Agatus is another Greek band with some similarities.

Reply to topic