Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dethmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:39 pm 

I thought some of you guys might like to check out my band and hopefully offer criticism. Here's a link to our Bandcamp:

http://hallucinationofficial.bandcamp.com/

Most of these songs were written when we were fifteen/sixteen. A couple months ago we decided to record them and put them up for download for those who are interested. The recording quality is pretty rough -we didn't really know what we were doing. This was mostly a learning experience for us, so feedback is welcome. Currently we are working on material for a much heavier and more mature full length album.

I play guitar on this album. Hope you enjoy it!

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:02 pm 

I could try to work it in to my review schedule for the month. If I end up reviewing it, I'll send you the link.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:09 pm 

Could you tell us more about your experiences in recording it? Anything in particular that you're looking for feedback on?

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 am 

The vocals are too low in the mix. Try slowly lowering the overall volume on the mixing console. The last thing you should hear is the voice before it's all too quiet. In this mix, the voice sounds like it might be the first thing you'd lose. Musically, it kinda reminds me of a slower, old school Ripping Corpse.

dethmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:55 am 

Thanks guys.

We recorded this back in May. I'm mostly looking for feedback on the songwriting and such, but feedback on the production would be beneficial to us as well.

We're pretty much done with these songs, we don't plan on remixing them. As I said though, we've written a batch of much more complex, inspired songs which we're going to be focusing on, so any tips you guys can give will help us out with that.

Next time, we plan on making the guitars and vocals louder, and the drums much quieter. We thought it was fine at the time, but now we think there's much too much of a focus on the drums which was never our intention. Would do you guys think?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm 

I listened to Memories From a Dream, and it was good until the groovy riffs came. I really dislike that kind of riffing style, and it completely killed the dark atmosphere the intro and the first blasting part created. The bass solo was random and pointless.

Apart from the crappy grooves, the riffing was adequate if not particularly inspired. I'd enjoy listening to it if the negative aspects I mentioned were removed.

As for production, the snare and cymbals sound fine, but the toms and the bassdrum are quite grating.

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:24 pm 

Here you go man. A full fledged review of your EP.

http://poeohlin.blogspot.com/2012/12/ha ... eview.html

dethmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 pm 

Thanks for the comments. Many of the Swedish and New York death metal bands we are influenced by are quite fond of groovy riffs, so naturally we wanted to include a few riffs like that into our songs. I can definitely understand why you feel that wouldn't fit, however! We were trying to create a kind of chaotic atmosphere by alternating between groovy sections and tremolo, blast beat sections.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write your in depth review, Poe Ohlin. I'm very thrilled to hear that you enjoyed it and it's very inspiring to us, me especially. That's the first time I've heard Bloodmoon compared to Mexican/mariachi music. That's definitely an interesting comparison! That entire song is actually just Jake Black on bass guitar.

Our next album will be much heavier, better written, with better production, but I'm still very proud of Memories From a Dream.

Reply to topic