Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:32 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Burzum... didn't he opt out of guitars because he said they were negro instruments?

No, he only used a synth on those two albums because that's all he was allowed in prison.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:33 pm 

I know of Ved Buens Ende and Fluerety. Ved Buens Ende is along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Spektr - Nice stuff, but a I'm looking for something a bit less ambient for now.
Alrakis - I'd actually enjoy this more without the black metal elements.
Lifeover - Couldn't get into the vocals.
Heretoir - I like the depressive stuff, but again I would enjoy it more without the black metal elements.
Todtgelichter - This is nice, a progressive take on depressive BM
Altar of Plagues/A Forest of Stars/Lantlos - Think more 'prog/avant-garde' than 'post'.
Negura Bunget - This is awesome, one of the most unique folk bm things i've heard.
Oranssi Pazuzu - Love this, one the trippiest things i've ever heard.
Omega centuari/Darkspace - Spacey, cold but still feeling like black metal with the guitars and ambient working seemlessly.
Martolea - A more distant, blackened negura bunget. Another one I liked.
Farsot/Nocte Obducta - Quality black prog.

Sorry if my request was a bit vague, I'm not looking for post black metal, more for avant-garde/prog black metal. I lumped the two together accidentally.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:36 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
I know of Ved Buens Ende and Fluerety. Ved Buens Ende is along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Spektr - Nice stuff, but a I'm looking for something a bit less ambient for now.
Heretoir - I like the depressive stuff, but again I would enjoy it more without the black metal elements.
Altar of Plagues/A Forest of Stars/Lantlos - Think more 'prog/avant-garde' than 'post'.
Negura Bunget - This is awesome, one of the most unique folk bm things i've heard.
Omega centuari/Darkspace - Spacey, cold but still feeling like black metal with the guitars and ambient working seemlessly.

Sorry if my request was a bit vague, I'm not looking for post black metal, more for avant-garde/prog black metal. I lumped the two together accidentally.

Have you heard of Decrepit Spectre? They may be of interest to you. "Stranded Angels" is a brilliant track. Sadly, it seems no Youtube link exists for this track. Seek out their album "Coal Black Hearses".

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:40 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
So, I've been slowly edging myself into 'Progressive' 'Avant-garde' and 'post' black metal. I don't really know where to look next in the genre aside from a few bands, I like bands that can push boundaries and make for challenging listening.

In short, I want progression and innovation outside of black metal genre soup, putting parts of other genres in the mix is fine as long as the result helps the atmoshpere and music.

not sure if this is sth for you but you could try Devar. Not over-the-top avantgarde but def. some kind of strange mix of BM with, well, "other" music styles

http://www.lastfm.de/music/devar
http://www.myspace.com/devarno
Review: http://nocturnalhall.de/reviews/D/devar_endings_e.htm

goF
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm 

Hi. I'm looking for black metal in the vein of Taake. I tried MA's similar artists button, but MA has a very vague list of similar bands to offer.

So... what am I looking for?

#1 I'm a big fan of "Over bjoergvin graater himmerik". Something with similar vocals, instrumentation and production sound would be nice.
#2 I'm looking for THAT ("Over bjoergvin graater himmerik") Taake atmosphere. (Didn't like "Hordalands doedskvad" too much, I guess...) I like cold, foggy sounding stuff. But yeah, cold and foggy, not raw and unenjoyable (1349).
#3 Kinda melodic stuff. Kinda. TOO melodic stuff is turning me off. And NO keyboards.

And that's it. You got the idea. Any recommendations?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm 

Perhaps something like Arckanum (Fran Marder, Kostogher), then? I'd have to revisit Over Bjerrgvin to be completely sure what you mean, though.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:40 pm 

You could give Furia (Pol) a try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faOLcbbJjic&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwuHkbcGQ8
Although it might not be too similair, I have the idea that this might be the type of melodicism you're looking for. It has a similair feel of fluency to me eventhough the music is more mid-paced and slightly proggy. I also enjoy his vocals

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:47 pm 

@goF:

Have a try with the first (and only that!) album of Borknagar, should fit, I think... However if not, it is still one of the best archaic yet melodic BM albums out there ;)
Earyl Abigor could work too but it has some synth on it...

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:14 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:

I forgot three other bands you might want to try:

Sigh
Dodecahedron
Le Grand Guignol

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:40 pm 

NJMike wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:

I forgot three other bands you might want to try:

Sigh
Dodecahedron
Le Grand Guignol

Alright, I listened to a few tracks from sigh's insomniphobia and it blew me the fuck away.They were kind of one of those bands that I wrote off a while, because I thought it might be one of those situations where the 'fusion' of genres just ends up being genre roulette. As in 'look how bold we are, we have a tango in the middle of a death metal song! Please notice us!'. Sigh just has black metal, and layers whatever the fuck they feel like on top of it and still have it come out being engaging. It's like being on a glass spaceship cruising the universe at relativistic speeds while a black metal vocalist is shrieking in your ears. On acid. So, thanks. Will check out the other two later.

@GoF Try a few of these. I don't know if they are too raw (i'm kinda trying to figure out what you mean by 'not like 1349' sorry), or not as complex and riffy as taake (they hit a really interesting style) but I kind of get the 'cold misty forest on a mountain' type atmosphere from them though:

Walknut - Repititve, droning foggy sounding bm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ZPuIRmR9E

Horn (deu) - They have some (very) minor keyboards use in a few songs and a few folky elements but they kind of give me a foresty alpine wilderness atmosphere with long stretching, delayed guitar riffs that seem naturalistic and detached voiced distant vocals broken by some acoustic parts:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiSlvqRSY1M

Odal (deu) - It has kind of a dense, noctural forest vibe - Frantic, but melodic clustered bm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8tCoLCe7lg

Kvist maybe? They only have one album but they do seem to move from theme to theme in the same way taake does, though they're a bit more gritty than taake:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXuCcXWOarU&feature=related. They only have one album, and there are some keys on a handful of songs.

Throndt (deu) - Raw, introspective melodic bm at times, a few other times taking a more aggressive tone:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMB3yq_NzfU&feature=relmfu

Actually, if I am getting my scenes correct you should really look into the eastern european and german bm scenes; I seem to get those same kind of atmospheres from them.

Tot_alVital
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:45 pm 

balbulus wrote:
No, he only used a synth on those two albums because that's all he was allowed in prison.

And Varg explained himself with exactly these statements mentioned by Metaldiscussor666.

TRADE / FOR SALE:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94310&p=2160991#p2160991

TheSimeon88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:09 pm 

I'm looking for really vicious, angry black metal with great production and intelligible lyrics. I'd also like it be slower paced (more doomy than thrashy, so to speak) but remain aggressive.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:11 pm 

Tot_alVital wrote:
balbulus wrote:

And Varg explained himself with exactly these statements mentioned by Metaldiscussor666.

And Varg's obviously changed his mind since then, as he is back to making black metal with guitars.

Amen. Although I fuckin' love Burzum synth tracks too.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:14 pm 

TheSimeon88 wrote:
I'm looking for really vicious, angry black metal with great production and intelligible lyrics. I'd also like it be slower paced (more doomy than thrashy, so to speak) but remain aggressive.

Hmmm..... How about Leviathan?

Or perhaps, my favorite artist, The Ruins of Beverast?

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:40 am 

I read in the NWN forums that Agatus - Dawn of Martyrdom will be getting a proper gatefold vinyl reissue sometime soon. Apparently it'll be self-released by Eskarth himself! There's no official info about this yet so I hope it really goes down because that's one of my favourite Greek Black Metal albums.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:19 am 

I require more bands like early Bathory, similar to the eponymous and "The Return ..." albums rather than the "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" album, preferably, especially from a similar time-frame (although newer bands are welcome, too). No Bulldozer, Venom, "In the Sign of Evil" or "Show No Mercy", please, I am already aware of the most obvious comparisons.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:59 am 

Aszfargoth wrote:
I require more bands like early Bathory, similar to the eponymous and "The Return ..." albums rather than the "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" album, preferably, especially from a similar time-frame (although newer bands are welcome, too). No Bulldozer, Venom, "In the Sign of Evil" or "Show No Mercy", please, I am already aware of the most obvious comparisons.

Horna - Sotahuuto is essentially a Bathory tribute. They aped a whole bunch of riffs, but yet play it with their own personality and characteristically morbid atmosphere.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:01 pm 

Aszfargoth wrote:

Hellfire (Swe) "Into Fire"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YntYEbc0ZLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7HDxVU5Rv4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSFHcL0TGA

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:13 am 

Malthus wrote:

Excellent! I don't know what to say more, so I'll just say thank you very much.

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:13 am 

Recently I have been having cold weather so I have decided to get into more Depressive Black Metal. I know of many great bands such as ColdWorld, Totalselfhatred and Xasthur for example. Theres even a top 5 DSBM bands currently on page 2 in the "Metal Discussion" part of the forum. Can I have recommendations not for popular but for the most pioneering DSBM bands if you understand what I mean? Strid, Forgotten Woods and Mutiilation are the types of bands I am looking for. Don't recommend any bands/releases that were released post-1999.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:44 am 

Aszfargoth wrote:
Malthus wrote:

Excellent! I don't know what to say more, so I'll just say thank you very much.

:beer:

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 pm 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
Recently I have been having cold weather so I have decided to get into more Depressive Black Metal. I know of many great bands such as ColdWorld, Totalselfhatred and Xasthur for example. Theres even a top 5 DSBM bands currently on page 2 in the "Metal Discussion" part of the forum. Can I have recommendations not for popular but for the most pioneering DSBM bands if you understand what I mean? Strid, Forgotten Woods and Mutiilation are the types of bands I am looking for. Don't recommend any bands/releases that were released post-1999.

Although it was released in 2002, you may be interested in Dödfödd, they remind me more of the pioneering DSBM bands, esp Strid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiRE14_eLxs

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:53 pm 

SSatanicSSatan, be sure to check out Bethlehem if you already haven't. Some don't view them as depressive black metal but nonetheless they contributed to the birth of that particular niche. A lot of suicidal depressive black metal is influenced by the band. I recommend their second album Dictius Te Necare.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:04 pm 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
Can I have recommendations not for popular but for the most pioneering DSBM bands if you understand what I mean? Strid, Forgotten Woods and Mutiilation are the types of bands I am looking for. Don't recommend any bands/releases that were released post-1999.

Besides Burzum? Aäkon Këëtrëh - in atmosphere and sound pretty much of what DSBM is nowadays.
Abyssic Hate - Depression & Life is a Pain in the Neck from 1995/6

not DSBM, but influential albums:
Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland from 1998
Ancient Wisdom - For Snow... & The Calling from 1996/7
In the Woods - Heart of the Ages from 1995

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 pm 

Hellbeast11 wrote:
SSatanicSSatan wrote:
Can I have recommendations not for popular but for the most pioneering DSBM bands if you understand what I mean? Strid, Forgotten Woods and Mutiilation are the types of bands I am looking for. Don't recommend any bands/releases that were released post-1999.

Besides Burzum? Aäkon Këëtrëh - in atmosphere and sound pretty much of what DSBM is nowadays.
Abyssic Hate - Depression & Life is a Pain in the Neck from 1995/6

not DSBM, but influential albums:
Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland from 1998
Ancient Wisdom - For Snow... & The Calling from 1996/7
In the Woods - Heart of the Ages from 1995

I doubt it was very influential, but Ravens over the Road of Kings by Nidhoggr might also be worth checking out.

GhostlyGloom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:53 pm 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:

Have you heard of Sortsind from Denmark? The vocalist sounds pretty anguished. The debut album would be a good way to start as they only have two albums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5nHPD2pO_M

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:15 am 

I'd like to know if there are any other bands in the vein of Destroyer 666's Satanic Speed Metal or some of Abigail and Speedwolf's work, most black metal (Destroyer 666 included) tend to focus on more serious themes and have more epic atmospheres, I want the dirty sleazy thrashy black metal aimed solely to pay tribute to the gods that are Venom.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:27 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
I'd like to know if there are any other bands in the vein of Destroyer 666's Satanic Speed Metal or some of Abigail and Speedwolf's work, most black metal (Destroyer 666 included) tend to focus on more serious themes and have more epic atmospheres, I want the dirty sleazy thrashy black metal aimed solely to pay tribute to the gods that are Venom.

Finland's Walhalla may be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0k8AZrTOl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU2weuijgQc

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:41 am 

Absolute dirty vile perfection, they actually had a few moments when they reminded me of Zimmers Hole, but better obviously, more shit like this would be appreciated.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:31 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Absolute dirty vile perfection, they actually had a few moments when they reminded me of Zimmers Hole, but better obviously, more shit like this would be appreciated.

Okay, how about Urn (Fin)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6_ClRDNFY4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsjQtuCYo7M

Or Germany's Desaster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wh-HciEZaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11na4XuScqA

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:04 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:

Here you go...all you'll need.

Witchtrap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnoQIiUtrBg

you could also check out

The Impalers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU1YbRAIq0c

Destruktor Awful quality thanks to youtube, but you should get an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ubO-XtZgSc

Syphilitic Vaginas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggzl1eHiE_8

Bestial Mockery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud5oQeBrtjU

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 pm 

Well I've lost my headphones so I can't listen to these other promising looking rec's quite yet, however at work today I came across Midnight, which is amazazing.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:01 pm 

Lost my old account info so made a new one... Black metal is really all I have listened to in the past 15 years and I would like to share some of my favorites that I consider MUST haves.

First, focusing on new/lesser known bands that fucking own:

FAAGRIM - North German black metal: Their first album "Blutfrost" Is easily one of the best albums of all time in any era/wave of black metal. Harsh vocals, non stop badass riff after badass riff, punishing double bass mixed with standard blast. you HAVE to hear this band

Awesome song from first album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kb8QsTNf3k
New song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dl0tUET43E

ZWARTPLAAG - Netherlands: Did a split with Faagrim which was aweseome, so I will list them next. Their first album "Haatstorm" is incredible, more of a mid-fast paced style with epic riffs.

2 songs from "Haatstorm": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnzlC7guoMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlmCfjbaH0c

MGLA - Poland: Raw, Hateful, long epic songs. 1 man band, amazing stuff.

Song 5 and 6 from latest album, I highly recommend all of his music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n9z6AXbtw0

LUGUBRE - Netherlands: These guys are fast, and brutal with killer guitar and drum work.

song from latest album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2t3EpqdJw

FOLKVANG - Belarus: 1 man band, latest album is a masterpiece. mix of darkness and beauty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3NyZeQ-DpY

PACT - USA: Recently released first album, sounds like they've been doing it for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9zxxW7LXxM

MOURNING FOREST - France: Released 2 albums and a split with SAD (Greece) All highly recommended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRhRZflelYE

LUTOMYSL - Ukraine: I just recently started listening to this 1 man band, bought all his albums right away.

older song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xK3DoBdNk
new song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SH8QkwynMQ

ZORN - Germany: Not sure what's going on with this band anymore, I really hope they release more stuff because their last album was amazing. Fast, raw, pure, ugly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39s-k2nCsEQ

Other more well known bands that you probably know about, but if you don't you better!

Sargeist - "Let the Devil in" Another one of my favorite albums of all time
Besatt - Their most recent album along with "Black Mass" "Triumph of Antichrist" and "Sacrifice for Satan" are must haves
Endstille - "Dominanz" is still my favorite, but all of their albums are top notch
Inquisition - Love these guys, and they fucking OWN live, froggy vocals don't bother me
URGEHAL - RIP Trondr Nefas

This is just off the top of my head and I'm currently at work :evil: I know there are plenty of other bands I can't think of at the moment.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 pm 

You've got pretty great taste in black metal. A true unity of traditional, orthodox, modern and adventurist aspects! Good to have another serious black metal warrior around these parts.

usx8
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:12 am 

I've been listening to black metal for about a year, I haven't really looked too far into it, and I'm looking for some new bands. Some of the stuff I listen to:

Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Satyricon, Hellhammer, Bathory, Venom, Emperor, Arcturus, Nokturnal Mortum, Summoning, Gorgoroth, Dark Funeral and some others I cant think of.

Any ideas on other bands that would be good to listen to? Specifically the faster, more aggressive stuff like Mayhem, Dark Funeral, Gorgoroth, or the more experimental, atmospheric stuff like Arcturus, Summoning, Emperor.
(P.S. I'm new to the forum, and i think this is the right place. If not a heads up would be great.)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:06 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
You've got pretty great taste in black metal. A true unity of traditional, orthodox, modern and adventurist aspects! Good to have another serious black metal warrior around these parts.

Thanks man, I'm always trying to find that next awesome band, but sometimes I feel like I've found most of them.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:53 am 

I'm looking for first wave black metal album gems. Anything similar to Sarcofago's I.N.R.I. or Hellhammer's Apocalyptic Raids 1990 A.D. would be great.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:28 am 

^ Check out Parabellum (col). Insane first wave savagery.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:43 pm 

usx8 wrote:
I've been listening to black metal for about a year, I haven't really looked too far into it, and I'm looking for some new bands. Some of the stuff I listen to:

Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Satyricon, Hellhammer, Bathory, Venom, Emperor, Arcturus, Nokturnal Mortum, Summoning, Gorgoroth, Dark Funeral and some others I cant think of.

Any ideas on other bands that would be good to listen to? Specifically the faster, more aggressive stuff like Mayhem, Dark Funeral, Gorgoroth, or the more experimental, atmospheric stuff like Arcturus, Summoning, Emperor.
(P.S. I'm new to the forum, and i think this is the right place. If not a heads up would be great.)

where to go next? i remember when i was first getting in to black metal, ahh memories. So i will recomend you some stuff that is pretty well known/ popular and if you enjoy that stuff i can list some more lesser known artists. So i will give you a few to start with.

Beherit: Drawing down the moon + oath of black blood these two albums are essential. Bestial raw primitive black metal that is utterly classic in all regards.

Judas Iscariot: Heaven in Flames if you like raw black metal inspired by a combination of burzum and dark throne i dont see how you can not enjoy judas iscariot.

Funeral Mist: salvation this is probably my favorite black metal album of the post 2000s. This is a masterpiece of seething blackened metal.

Krieg: destruction ritual one of the rawest most hate filled black metal albums i have ever heard. so furious it borders on noise, but it is truely a master piece.

Demoncy: joined in darkness a smothering thick atmosphere of pure evil and darkness a burly beast of an album

let me know if you like any of these and i will gladly post you some more suggestions.

BoxCar Willy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:52 pm 

Anyone here familiar with Hypothermia? They're a lo-fi folk black band. Pretty droney at times. Has anyone heard anything like them?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 231  Next