Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 am 

Hello, I would like to suggest a more antiquated form of chat via BBS. I want to only see a black screen with various psychadellic colors when I am discussing miscellaneous topics with my fellow metal brethren. A telnet chat interface is ideal, similar to the one in The Matrix. I understand that this would alienate a lot of people, but it could expose the younger generations to a social networking format that was around during metals heyday. I understand that nobody will be dialing in, but telnet is still accessible. I personally use Windows Xp so I have telnet enabled by default. Windows 7 and above would need to enable telnet.

Last edited by rabidmadman on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:19 am 

IRC is perfect, I don't think any of the regulars want the chat to change.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:33 am 

Not saying a change, but just the possible addition for those that are still using DOS, OS-#, or an early version of windows as their operating system and with a dial up modem for Internet service. Whats perfect for the majority, is not perfect for the minority such as myself. I'm currently using a 386, and browsing the Internet or using an IRC client on this thing is unbearable.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:56 am 

Wow, who still uses DOS, let alone dial-up for their Internet? With such a low configuration, you shouldn't even be able to use some features on the main site.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:53 am 

Er.... yeah.... no. Not gonna happen.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:09 am 

386? That's absurd. You must be doing that for some reason other than not having access to better hardware.

I bet those ancient computers actually cost more than the cheapest possible somewhat modern PC.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:30 pm 

I decided to live in 1993, that is all. I'm no different than the Amish. I understand there are better and modern things out there. I didn't realize this, but in the OP, I mentioned that i was using Windows XP. Explain to me how I'd run XP with a 16 mhz cpu.

Anyway, people feel that demos should be on tape. In 2012, digital media pressed onto an analog format makes little sense to most. The same thing applies to me with regard to chatting and checking email. I prefer using Telnet for my email needs due to the more visually simple interface. I guess it just brings me back to my childhood when it actually took some sort of effort to use a computer. These days we're spoiled with mouses and a point+click interface. I prefer doing things via command line..I guess it's just more satisfying to me....and I think it would be cool to have a metal archives BBS. I'm not saying I'm not retarded by the way...there is something clearly wrong with me since I haven't met a single person my age or even older that prefers the old ways.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:47 pm 

If you're stuck using a 386, I know why you're bitching so much about those traffic tickets.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 pm 

rabidmadman wrote:
These days we're spoiled with mouses and a point+click interface.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ah, how I miss the days of old. Turbo buttons and floppy discs. Things were good and proper back then. People knew how to behave themselves and had morals. Nowadays humanity has lost touch with its DOS roots.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.