Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:19 am 

Thread purpose is simple enough; state whether you prefer the original 1995 (technically 1997) version of Covenant's In Times Before the Light or the renamed The Kovenant's 2002 industrial remake.

For me it varies depending on each track. Some songs I prefer from the original due to the darkly epic mood, while some I prefer from the industrial version since expanding upon the tracks and adding industrial elements made them sound even more epic than on the original. If I had to pick as a whole, however, I'd go with the original version. Nothing for me can beat the simplistic yet evil as hell symphonics on that album, and the album just has this atmosphere that I don't think many black metal with keyboards bands can match.

Now you.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:27 pm 

Good question. I actualy like both. I like the more traditional black metal sound of the first but I feel it lacks an interesting angle. It does not stand out as much compared to other albums of the genre, from that time (imo). Still awesome album. Standout tracks are Dragonstorms and Towards the Crown of Nights.

The remix, however, has something chaotic, agressive and this thick, synthesized fuzz without the actual melodies and riffs getting lost. And it still has that slight folky, medieval vibe in it. The guitars could have been mixed a tad bit louder though. On this album I prefer Dragonstorms, The Chasm, Towards the Crown of Nights and Night of the Blackwinds (not sure this is the correct title?).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:08 pm 

Yeah, that's the right title.

revoltingblob
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:11 am 

original version all the way, very under-rated album! re-release remix version was totally unnecessary in my opinion

nhh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:30 am 

Last edited by nhh on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devilsadvocate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:57 pm 

I have the original one. It sounds better (IMHO).

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:51 pm 

I haven't heard the remix. But the original CD seems to be quite decently written, but very watered down black metal to me. Might be good when getting into black metal but that's it.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:32 pm 

The original always comes first for me but the remix is also great.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:26 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
I haven't heard the remix. But the original CD seems to be quite decently written, but very watered down black metal to me. Might be good when getting into black metal but that's it.

Well it is melodic/symphonic black metal, so of course it's not gonna be as raw as some other black metal. Plus I'm fairly certain sweeping synths wouldn't work that well in a raw black metal setting.

Reply to topic