Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 pm 

Hi Metal fellas. Just wanted to share some great momento I had today. I went to my local record store and they had The Giant, by Ahab, I remembered The Call of the Wretched Sea and thought “ lets blast some creepy and fucking heavy funeral doom today” and took it home.
I have 3 children, and they were all out (my tweens in a birthday party and my little princess was shoping or something with my wife), so I was alone, something quite unusual here. So I played the album once, and as I couldn`t believe what I was listening, played again, and oh boy was I amazed. This feeling is still with me, something so special, you know what I`m talking about, something similar happened to me when I first heard “Storms of the Lights Bane”, “Filosofem” or “Simbolic”. Is like the world ends and you go in a musical trip, taken by the atmosphere of the album, and this album has a lot of it.
So the main thread is about this great album, the best of the year so far if you ask me, the side thread is about this feeling I`m talking about, I used to be amazed a lot back in the early 90s when I was a teen, but then, or I became les emotional to albums, or there are less masterpieces around this days.

ps: sorry for my english
Not hearsay but the will of man

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:32 pm 

I liked the album quite a bit too, but it was panned quite a bit and I don't think you'll find many like minded individuals here (speaking from experience when it was released.) Your thread title has a typo and it's a pretty unfocused thread. You could easily make another thread about that feeling of hearing something new and special and how it does/or doesn't phase out as you gain more experience and become more blasé.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited by Necroticism174 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:35 pm 

yes, you are right, the original idea was to discuss about the album...
Not hearsay but the will of man

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:05 pm 

I liked it, and I would hardly call 3 reviews with an average of 90% "panned"... believe me, the people on this forum have high standards especially when a band like Ahab puts out an album like Call of the Wretched Sea. They are unlikely to top that album, though that doesn't mean they are incapable of producing another masterpiece. I believe they have with both Divinity of Oceans and The Giant.

But that's not to say it is a bad album by any stretch of the imagination. It continues on the melodic direction of Divinity of Oceans, while keeping to the epic oceanic themes that Ahab is known for. It is still certainly a crushingly heavy album though.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:49 pm 

I only listened to a couple songs off of it, and they were quite different than Call Of The Wretched Sea for sure-sounded more like a much heavier Isis than funeral doom. Not sure why I never listened to the whole album, going to do that right now...

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:38 am 

I'm a big Ahab fan, they're one of the only Funeral Doom bands I actually like. The Call of the Wretched Sea is a masterpiece, imo. As far as The Giant goes, I really enjoyed it. They took the songwriting in the natural progression that they started with on Divinity, more progressive almost, a lot of softer parts and more clean vocals. Though I don't find it better than either of their first two albums, it's still a great album I think. I don't know if it will make my top ten this year, but who knows, it may sneak in there.

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:22 am 

I think it's Ahab's best release so far. Both Call Of The Wretched Sea and Divinity Of Oceans had their moments but even on those releases I preferred the more melodic clean sections. I think there are other bands out there that do better funeral doom, so I'm happy they're heading in the direction they're going in.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:40 am 

It's an amazing album, Ahab's best IMO. Antarctica the Polymorphess is just beautiful, great vocal harmonies in the chorus!

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:31 pm 

I concur with most post i think its their best album as far as being diverse and different. Wretched sea will always be their best but i love the direction they took on the gaint. Great textures, bluesy riffs and decent clean singing.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:38 pm 

I like Call Of the Wretched Sea. Been meaning to pick up The Giant. Listened to a few songs and was digging them.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:04 am 

One of my favourites of the year absolutely. Great use of layerings and psychedelic textures. Ahab kept their original style with drawing influences from Alice in Chains and Neurosis.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:21 am 

It's an excellent album. Not as good as the debut, but better than the sophomore.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:45 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
I only listened to a couple songs off of it, and they were quite different than Call Of The Wretched Sea for sure-sounded more like a much heavier Isis than funeral doom. Not sure why I never listened to the whole album, going to do that right now...

Glad I'm not the only one who hears a definite Isis influence on The Giant. I've only listened to the full album a few times, but I think it's great. Ahab are three for three in my books.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:00 am 

I found this album to be really, really boring. Which sucks, because the psychedelic vibes got me hoping I would really love it.

Reply to topic