Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignParadigm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:34 am 

So, I'm going to see Sunn O))) next month for the first time. Pretty fucking stoked. But I am curious to know if I should bring ear plugs. Everyone who is familiar with the band knows they are infamous for playing at ridiculously loud volumes. I have NEVER bothered wearing ear plugs at a show before, and I have been to some pretty noisy loud shows. But I feel like Sunn O))) is just on another level based on what I have heard from friends and forums. What do you think? Anyone who has been to a Sunn O))) gig, what was it like for you? Did you need or want ear plugs?

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 am 

Bring earplugs to every show you go to. You'll especially need them for something like Sunn O))), but I'd be wearing them regardless.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

MalignParadigm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Bring earplugs to every show you go to. You'll especially need them for something like Sunn O))), but I'd be wearing them regardless.

I used to bring them, but I never do anymore because I never need them. I'm wonder about other peoples experience with Sunn O))) and if they suggest them or not.

Jebator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:55 am 

Last time I went to a Sunn show (november 2009) people were explicitly instructed to use earplugs. So by all means, YES.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 am 

I went to see them in London earlier this year and was right at the front and didn't have ear plugs big mistake.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:13 am 

Bring them just in case. If you don't need them, you don't need them. If you do, pop 'em in.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:38 am 

What about a pillow and a diaper?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:44 am 

No, be sure to stand right next to the speakers for full effect.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:08 am 

I bet everyone there will be packing industrial-grade ear plugs and a fresh pair of undies.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:40 am 

Yes. Bring earplugs. You can take them out if you want later, but you can't put them in later if you don't have them. You might also consider a respirator...more smoke than any show I've ever seen :lol:

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:39 am 

Take them just in case but I doubt you'll need them. I saw them in September for the first time and while they do play very loud, the tone and texture of the sound is actually pretty soothing.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:43 am 

I would definitely say yes, especially to any indoor show. Something as massively loud and constant like Sunn O))) could very easily cause long-term damage to your ears.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 pm 

One of the few shows I've used earplugs at, is Sunn O))), really helped the music imo. Also, as soon as I got into the venue, everyone advised me, and everyone else, to use earplugs.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:58 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
I bet everyone there will be packing industrial-grade ear plugs and a fresh pair of undies.

And calcium for stronger bones.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:27 pm 

yes i would bring them just in case i didnt need them when i saw sunn0))) but when you can feel the music and hear it earplugs are prob a good idea. the only band i have seen that i could literly feel the riffs vibrating through my body.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:41 pm 

Nah. The more you lose your hearing, the more metal you are.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Nah. The more you lose your hearing, the more metal you are.

+1. LOL!

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:50 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:

And calcium for stronger bones.

And biotin to keep the hair from falling out!!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:39 pm 

i was front row and didn't wear earplugs at Sunn. The earpplugs don't do much anyway because they're not that good at removing low end, and guess what a Sunn show consists of? Nevertheless I'd recommend it as I'm pretty sure that show permanently damaged my hearing. Holy fuck it was loud man.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Unmaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:28 pm 

Make sure they're vintage earplugs or sunn might cancel the tour leaving you to refund your ticket and travel plans

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:37 am 

Bring earplugs, stick them in good, and on top of that put some earmuffs. That will do the trick.
Why people ruin hearing over some music is beyond my understanding.
And why people ask whether they should wear hearing protection at a concert is beyond my understanding as well.
If you never experience tinnitus and hearing loss I tell you buddy, it's not pleasant. When you will have tinnitus so that you won't be able to fall asleep come back to this thread and tell us more.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 am 

MalignParadigm wrote:
Should I bring ear plugs to Sunn O)))?

Well, that depends. How much do you like your ears?

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:54 am 

gigel2006 wrote:
Bring earplugs, stick them in good, and on top of that put some earmuffs. That will do the trick.
And why people ask whether they should wear hearing protection at a concert is beyond my understanding as well.
If you never experience tinnitus and hearing loss I tell you buddy, it's not pleasant. When you will have tinnitus so that you won't be able to fall asleep come back to this thread and tell us more.

Which is my case, and well, its terrible, now I am used to it but it hard because you cant enjoy a complete silence as I used to do.

So bring a good ones for the gods sake!

Another recommendation would be not to go this concert, and what is better, never listen to Sunn o))), but this could be too much hehehe. ;)

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:16 am 

I'm in the camp that says: "Always. Wears. Earplugs. At. Gigs... Always. No matter what band."

And it actually makes an old man quite happy to see that others think so too. :old:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:26 am 

Like failsafeman disclosed, earplugs at a gig are a universal gay symbol. Everyone wearing earplugs, including the bands, is letting others know that they're gay.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 am 

I wear earplugs to every show, every time I practice or record, any time I use any sort of tool or machinery, sometimes even to the movies if I feel it's too loud cause it actually physically hurts and I'm especially sensitive to anything highpitched.

But honestly if you have to ask if you need something that will help protect you, then you are probably the sort of person that needs all those warning labels on household chemicals telling you not to drink them or wash your eyes with them.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 am 

Pay attention, OP. According to the posts in this thread your reasons for wearing them are all about preserving you sense of hearing... and your reasons for not is that you might look a bit silly to some people. Obviously, it's far more important that you ruin your ears, rather than not looking cool.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:33 am 

gigel2006 wrote:

Exactly. I've had tinnitus all my life, and quite honestly can't comprehend why anyone would want to risk getting it purely for the sake of looking metal (a reason that's not even worth rebutting) or enjoying the music more fully (granted, a better reason, but - just buy decent earplugs, which will actually help you experience the sounds, rather than being overwhelmed by sheer volume).

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 am 

I wore earplugs when I saw Sunn O))). I had never worn them before, but did so this time due to all the people making a big deal about it. I tried taking them out a few times to compare what it's like. I can confirm that I could hear better with them in. It doesn't sound muffled because it's so damn loud to start with. Instead, it sounds much clearer and I could follow the nuances of texture much better. Plus I could still feel it in my chest and the gig experience was not diminished. Also I could hear perfectly afterwards and the next day, something that some of my mates were not able to say. In fact, on the strength of this experience, I have worn ear plugs to quite a few gigs since. It's worth it.

MalignParadigm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:56 am 

ForNaught wrote:
I wore earplugs when I saw Sunn O))). I had never worn them before, but did so this time due to all the people making a big deal about it. I tried taking them out a few times to compare what it's like. I can confirm that I could hear better with them in. It doesn't sound muffled because it's so damn loud to start with. Instead, it sounds much clearer and I could follow the nuances of texture much better. Plus I could still feel it in my chest and the gig experience was not diminished. Also I could hear perfectly afterwards and the next day, something that some of my mates were not able to say. In fact, on the strength of this experience, I have worn ear plugs to quite a few gigs since. It's worth it.

Thanks. This was helpful. What kind of earplugs did you use? were they just standard foam ear plugs?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:31 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Which is my case, and well, its terrible, now I am used to it but it hard because you cant enjoy a complete silence as I used to do.
So bring a good ones for the gods sake!
Another recommendation would be not to go this concert, and what is better, never listen to Sunn o))), but this could be too much hehehe. ;)

Calusari wrote:
Exactly. I've had tinnitus all my life, and quite honestly can't comprehend why anyone would want to risk getting it purely for the sake of looking metal (a reason that's not even worth rebutting) or enjoying the music more fully (granted, a better reason, but - just buy decent earplugs, which will actually help you experience the sounds, rather than being overwhelmed by sheer volume).

For life?!? That sucks!

ForNaught wrote:

So, you did learn something, right?

MalignParadigm wrote:
Thanks. This was helpful. What kind of earplugs did you use? were they just standard foam ear plugs?

And seems you didn't! LOL!
Just joking. Take some with you to EVERY show.

Anyway, why is this not regulated AT ALL?!? It makes more sense to me if all the shows should be played under certain level by law.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:39 pm 

As someone that has gone 100% deaf in my right ear, I would highly recommend earplugs. I won't even go to a gig without them anymore...what I have left is too precious.

Last edited by Itheus on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:59 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Pay attention, OP. According to the posts in this thread your reasons for wearing them are all about preserving you sense of hearing... and your reasons for not is that you might look a bit silly to some people. Obviously, it's far more important that you ruin your ears, rather than not looking cool.

Obviously, I'm about as uncool as people get, but to me the ones without earplugs, especially at shows where the band is indeed advertised to be extremely loud, are the ones who look like idiots.

From my experience, the douchebags at gigs are the most unlikely ones to wear plugs. This is merely something I've come to notice - when someone indulges in dumbfuckery at a show, I tend to observe that he/she isn't wearing earplugs.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:29 pm 

A Sunn concert is around ~125dB

This chart shows the threshold hearing damage for sound levels over time.

Here are some other resources on sound exposure.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp ... &p_id=9735
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/noise ... d_717.html

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:01 pm 

Take a barf bag as well.

CosmoSATAN
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:36 pm 

Saw them a few years back in a small venue and they were handing out earplugs at the entrance. Was highly recommended because of the size of the venue.

Was in a larger venue (HMV Ritz Manchester) and wore earplugs, but after about 30mins I took them out as it wasn't too bad.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:51 pm 

Unless you want a constant ringing in your ears for the rest of your life, bring ear plugs to every show you go to.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 pm 

Itheus wrote:
As someone that has gone 100% deaf in my right ear, I would highly recommend earplugs. I won't even go to a gig without them anymore...what I have left is too precious.

Damn i dont think i could listen to music without both ears.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:53 pm 

Itheus wrote:

Ehhheheheheheheh I'm a terrible person.

but yeah, even if you don't give a damn about your hearing (idiots), depending on the venue and/or band, it might still be worth taking ear plugs. All too often you get reflected sounds on top of the direct sounds, and plugs are usually really good at filtering out those noisy ones. As mentioned above, this helps make the sound clearer. Ain't nobody want to hear the rattle of cymbals over guitars.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:02 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Itheus wrote:

Ehhheheheheheheh I'm a terrible person.

but yeah, even if you don't give a damn about your hearing (idiots), depending on the venue and/or band, it might still be worth taking ear plugs. All too often you get reflected sounds on top of the direct sounds, and plugs are usually really good at filtering out those noisy ones. As mentioned above, this helps make the sound clearer. Ain't nobody want to hear the rattle of cymbals over guitars.

Ha I actually noticed that after I posted and was considering putting in a "(see what I did there)".

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next