Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:44 pm 

WTF how am I just now discovering this band? I mean I've heard about them but never really bothered to give them a chance, but now, thanks to this thread, I gave them a chance and have been listening to them nonstop for the past week. Seriously, these guys are amazing. I've been listening to all of their albums, except the first two, and I can't pick which one I like the most cause they're all so good in their own way lol! I'm so glad I decided to click on this thread and read through it, cause if I hadn't done so, who knows how much longer I woulda went without knowing about these guys.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:03 pm 

I don't know. I listened to this a couple of times this morning and I guess the band really does not do anything for me. I have listened to multiple albums by them now, and I am just not impressed. I guess I just do not get Neurosis.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:23 am 

I don't know man, I've listened to this a lot more, and I can't help but feel they could have done better. Maybe it will grow on me more after a few more months of listening to it. For a mellower Neurosis album, this can't touch The Eye of Every Storm. I mean this is great stuff and if any other band did it my jaw would drop, but Neurosis has done a lot better. I guess that's the problem with being a consistently amazing band - you set the standard so high it's almost impossible to meet sometimes. I've been obsessed with TEOES lately. In my opinion rivals Souls at Zero for their best album, it sounds completely different from anything they've ever done and is crushing when it needs to be, far more so than this album. The title track is one of my favourite songs of all time. I feel they do better on TEOES with mixing in their singer/songwriter influences, as well.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:51 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
I don't know man, I've listened to this a lot more, and I can't help but feel they could have done better. Maybe it will grow on me more after a few more months of listening to it. For a mellower Neurosis album, this can't touch The Eye of Every Storm. I mean this is great stuff and if any other band did it my jaw would drop, but Neurosis has done a lot better. I guess that's the problem with being a consistently amazing band - you set the standard so high it's almost impossible to meet sometimes. I've been obsessed with TEOES lately. In my opinion rivals Souls at Zero for their best album, it sounds completely different from anything they've ever done and is crushing when it needs to be, far more so than this album. The title track is one of my favourite songs of all time. I feel they do better on TEOES with mixing in their singer/songwriter influences, as well.

The new album suffers from a tremendous lack of tension, it lacks that magnanimous weight the band usually puts on your shoulders, it lacks the storm of emotions inside your mind while listening to it. And yet so did GTTR... It's a new phase for Neurosis whether we like it as much or not, and I remember that I also had a hard time getting into GTTR because of how mellow and calm it is. But after repeated listens the different textures and layers begin to unveil and the music is still beautiful, it's just not angry anymore.

This comes from someone who favours their early stages, I mean I adore their "first three" if you know what I mean and I think they're all miles above all the rest. But then again TEOES was my first Neurosis album and the one which made me a fan of the band. I think we all have to reconcile with the fact that they have different albums spanning through different mindsets and emotions, so just use the right one at the right time.

With that being said the new album is great, even though it won't be my favourite from the band. I'd say it's still a notch above the competition anyway.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:00 pm 

@ Androdion, I don't feel like like GTTR was calmer or lacking tension at all. I mean it did have a fair amount of mellower moments, but in all was much heavier and more aggressive than the two albums that came before. It took a long to grow on me, but now it's one of my favourites (although there are 4 albums I'd put above it). I totally agree with this album not having as much tension, it also seems like the Neurosis version of singer/songwriter stuff, in a much different way than TEOES, which did have that influence but was more about having a hypnotic flow (which sounded somewhat exotic in my opinion).

I agree with the early stages sentiment. I will always have a personal connection with Souls that goes far beyond what I feel about the other albums. To be honest I kind of feel Enemy of the Sun is a bit overrated. That and Times of Grace are the only Neurosis album (excluding the hardcore punk ones, obviously) that have material on them that don't really stand out to me. I don't really want to call it filler, because it's still far better than most bands that have taken up the style, but just weaker material for them. I still consider "Lost" and the first half of "Cleanse" to be some of Neurosis's best work, though. As for TSIB, that album is obviously amazing. It feels like drifting through a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 pm 

Maybe it's just me but I don't really consider GTTR all that heavy. Sure the album is dark and brooding, and come to think of it employs more tension than the new one, but I feel like the preceding albums are more pungent in their use of tension and soft/loud sections. I think that TEOES has some really creepy moments, very abrupt and savage actually, that are more brutal than anything on the preceding two albums, while on the other side it manages to be more minimalistic and quiet than them. It's like it has a bunch of subdued rage that suddenly emerges and bursts out in fury, whereas GTTR is more "constant" at the lack of a better descriptor. The new one goes down that path and introduces a bigger sense of calm and inner peace, thus my words about "tension" before.

I don't think that EOTS is overrated at all. Sure the album came between two of the most marking efforts by the band and it can be seen either as the in-between album or the third jewel of that period. I for one think it's almost on par with the other two, while having some flaws that those don't. But... I find it to be so fucking claustrophobic that it still manages to scare me every now and then. It's an album where tension is always kept on a high level and where nearly every song intends on making you feel uncomfortable in that Neurosis kind of way. That's why I like it almost as much as the other two, because it somehow stands as experimental as those, but uglier and with more uncontrolled rage than them. It's almost and album devoid of beauty and I love it for that.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:36 pm 

I remember I couldn't get into Enemy Of The Sun for ages. But I love that album now. Lost, Raze The Stray and Enemy of the sun are amazing songs. I especially love the build up in Enemy Of The Sun. Lexicon is a strange track though. Shouldn't have made cleanse as long as they did. Gets pretty boring after the six minute mark.

I cannot wait to hear At The Well and My Heart For Deliverance live.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:36 pm 

Ahhhh they're not doing live visuals anymore. Glad I saw them for the first time last year. Still it won't be the same.

Quote:
Official statement from Neurosis:

As of today, after much thought and discussion, visual projections as we have presented them over the last 20 years will no longer be part of Neurosis live shows. We are going to begin the process of reinventing our live presentation. This process will begin at zero, allowing the music to speak for itself and lead us where it may. Whatever form or however long this may take is unknown. This also signals a parting of the ways with our visual artist of the last twelve years, Josh Graham. Josh’s tireless work and talent came at a time when we really needed it and carried us gracefully into the video age with original content we couldn't have dreamed of when we were just starting out. Our parting comes from a place of mutual respect, friendship and understanding. We all agree that this is a step Neurosis has to take and are open to working together on specific projects in the future. We wish him success and the best of luck with all of his own musical endeavors and artistic passions.

In the spirit of sound,

- Steve, Dave, Jason, Noah, and Scott

In conjunction with this announcement, Josh Graham issued the following statement:

For us all, time for change has come. The friendships and body of work that have spawned from our time together will live on as we move forward. It has been an honor and a privilege to work with Neurosis over the last 12 years. As the crossroads are upon us, and we feel that the pinnacle of our collaborative efforts have been reached; we now look toward our individual futures with support and encouragement. Constant reinvention is at the heart and soul of us all, and we will all continue to persevere. Despite the larger picture winding down as we move on in our own directions, we will continue to work together on specific legacy projects including reissues and possibly more if/when the right projects come up.

Onward.

- Josh Graham

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:47 pm 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:
Ahhhh they're not doing live visuals anymore. Glad I saw them for the first time last year. Still it won't be the same.

Quote:
Official statement from Neurosis:

As of today, after much thought and discussion, visual projections as we have presented them over the last 20 years will no longer be part of Neurosis live shows. We are going to begin the process of reinventing our live presentation. This process will begin at zero, allowing the music to speak for itself and lead us where it may. Whatever form or however long this may take is unknown. This also signals a parting of the ways with our visual artist of the last twelve years, Josh Graham. Josh’s tireless work and talent came at a time when we really needed it and carried us gracefully into the video age with original content we couldn't have dreamed of when we were just starting out. Our parting comes from a place of mutual respect, friendship and understanding. We all agree that this is a step Neurosis has to take and are open to working together on specific projects in the future. We wish him success and the best of luck with all of his own musical endeavors and artistic passions.

In the spirit of sound,

- Steve, Dave, Jason, Noah, and Scott

In conjunction with this announcement, Josh Graham issued the following statement:

For us all, time for change has come. The friendships and body of work that have spawned from our time together will live on as we move forward. It has been an honor and a privilege to work with Neurosis over the last 12 years. As the crossroads are upon us, and we feel that the pinnacle of our collaborative efforts have been reached; we now look toward our individual futures with support and encouragement. Constant reinvention is at the heart and soul of us all, and we will all continue to persevere. Despite the larger picture winding down as we move on in our own directions, we will continue to work together on specific legacy projects including reissues and possibly more if/when the right projects come up.

Onward.

- Josh Graham

I'm pretty sure they said they won't be using Josh's visuals and that they're going to be making brand new ones.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6