Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:41 pm 

Anyone care to elaborate on how bad the Necrophobic "Nocturnal Silence" current CD edition on Hammerheart is? Original pressings of the CD aren't too easy to find for less than $50 right now.

WorldDecay
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:08 am 

cvac wrote:
Anyone care to elaborate on how bad the Necrophobic "Nocturnal Silence" current CD edition on Hammerheart is? Original pressings of the CD aren't too easy to find for less than $50 right now.

I just received the Hammerheart release. Would be glad to do some comparisons if someone has the original.

The Priest remasters seem to be good according to the past two pages. Anyone has any comments regarding the 2001 (Columbia?) remasters, especially for 'Unleashed in the East'? Or are all remastered versions the same?

lemonlikesmetal wrote:
I've put off expanding my Black Sabbath collection simply because there are so many different versions around and i want to know which sound good or not. Too much choice is sometimes a bad bad thing.

Yeah Sabbath purchases are highly annoying..would be great if we could collectively come up with some form of objective comparison chart/table

celt14 wrote:
...Also, the remasters of the first six Black Sabbath albums and the first two with Dio by Sancuary records are awesome remasters. Better than the black box remasters. I would say there are GOOD remasters out there, but unfortunately there are shitty remasters as well. You just gotta do some research.

Dark_Gnat wrote:
...I've narrowed it down to either the '96 Castle remasters, or the new ones from Sanctuary....

Are the mentioned sanctuary remasters the 2004 ones?

Also, anyone has info regarding Watain remasters (Casus Luciferi and Rabid Deaths Curse) Are the Drakkar and SOM RMs the same

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:57 am 

cvac wrote:

Did they really remaster that?? The original production was perfect (imo). Fuck remasters.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:01 pm 

Rodman wrote:
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd love a remastering of Breeding the Spawn.

This, please. I don't have any complain about the sound in any of their other albums, but that one could have been much better, and certainly deserved to be.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:47 pm 

Is it me or the remastering of In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend is too "crispy"? I wouldn't say it has clipping but it does seem like it's borderline on it, and it's really loud. Is the original master any different?

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 pm 

Southern Lord did a very good remaster of Dopesmoker. It's not better or worse, but different (not sure if it was also remixed) and definitely worth listening to.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:04 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Tezcat wrote:
Iron Maiden's remastered versions make the albums sound more powerful, the guitars sound very strong and the drum sound is better, IMO; Desultory's remastered versions sound more powerful too...

I disagree. The '80s Iron Maiden CDs are very, very good. The 1986 Japanese CD of Powerslave (slightly different from the original US version) is much better than the remaster and perhaps the best-sounding CD I have ever heard, and the remaster of Somewhere in Time utterly butchers the sound of the album to the point of being a wall of noise.

In what way is the Japanese version different? Aside from the S/T all of my Iron Maiden albums are original CDs, and to be honest I always thought Somewhere in Time sounded the weakest of the first six Birch albums. The guitar tone is admittedly massive-sexy-smooth, but the rhythm section always felt kind of distant and subdued and Bruce has a bit more reverb than I'd like. If the Japanese version fixed any of that I need to check it out.

accursedordnance
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:32 am 

New 2022 Diamond Head Lightning to the Nations remaster was done in very poor taste.

I'm curious as to people's favorite version of this album?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:15 am 

Cradle of Filth's Cruelty and the Beast re-mistressed (...) has become my favorite version of that album and gave me a newfound appreciation for it. Just getting rid of the original's drum sound raises the score by several points :lol:

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:43 am 

Deathwish77 wrote:
It needs a remix. Not a remaster. A remaster would just make the mud louder. People get remastering and remixing confused all the time I noticed.

Could you or someone else clarify this for me? I'm one of those people who constantly gets those confused. Is remastering simply boosting the volume, while remixing is fundamentally changing the sound of the record?

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:45 am 

I always listen to the remixed version of Prowler in the Yard, if that's relevant.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:47 pm 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
Could you or someone else clarify this for me? I'm one of those people who constantly gets those confused. Is remastering simply boosting the volume, while remixing is fundamentally changing the sound of the record?

There's more to mastering than just the volume, though volume boosts are fairly typical of remasters. You've basically got the idea - mixing involves modifying the sound of each instrumental track on a recording and trying to balance them so that each one is audible, while mastering is basically a final touch-up of a completed mix. Remasters are cheap, easy, and often lazily done, while remixes (like the aforementioned Cruelty and the Beast Remistressed) involve much more substantial modifications to the sound but aren't nearly as common.

Graceclaw
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:50 pm 

I did a search through this thread and surprisingly found that nobody had mentioned Hypocrisy's Catch-22 Remixed and Remastered (https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/H ... .08/179059)

Admittedly, this isn't just a 'remaster', but a complete re-recording of the entire album and re-mixing of audio due to backlash about the Nu-Metal leanings of the original album.

Not only does the re-issue change Peter's vocals to be fittingly death-oriented, but it also re-records the drums to remove the "nu metal snare" and changes the energy of the album by tuning down the electronic elements and keyboard (Edge of Madness was so ridiculous in the original that it couldn't be completely remedied in the re-issue). There are definitely still times when you can tell it was written to experiment and reach out to a different/broader audience, but this release is still a solid Hypocrisy album.

I come from a Nu Metal background, so I expected that I'd still enjoy the original release, or maybe even prefer it - but this re-release is so definitive that I see no reason whatsoever to listen to the original.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:00 pm 

To be honest, I've hardly ever heard a "remaster" that I thought sounded any different. Remixes tend to sound better, but remasters just don't seem to do anything worthwhile.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:03 pm 

To me, absolutely Nattens Madrigal. And I listened to the original for years back when that was all that was available.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:03 am 

thereflectingskin wrote:
To me, absolutely Nattens Madrigal. And I listened to the original for years back when that was all that was available.

I reckon that would work.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:41 am 

PurpleDoom wrote:
Nocturnal_Evil wrote:

There's more to mastering than just the volume, though volume boosts are fairly typical of remasters. You've basically got the idea - mixing involves modifying the sound of each instrumental track on a recording and trying to balance them so that each one is audible, while mastering is basically a final touch-up of a completed mix. Remasters are cheap, easy, and often lazily done, while remixes (like the aforementioned Cruelty and the Beast Remistressed) involve much more substantial modifications to the sound but aren't nearly as common.

Meshuggah's "Nothing" is the worst ever example I could think of a remix. AWFUL decision to ruin the perfect sound of the original.

Software_City
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:09 am 

I don't know if I'd call it the "definitive, always listen to this version" version of Peace Sells by Megadeth, but I really like the 2011 remaster and prefer the drums on it to the original release.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:25 am 

YOB's recent Atma reissue is better than the original, but then again that's a remix, not just a remaster.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:49 am 

Flotsam & Jetsam - the 2006 remixed version of "Doomsday For the Deceiver"

Remixes are a tricky business with a mixed track record. The Megadeth remixes squeezed the balls out of the originals. The Deep Purple remixed tracks portray a bit more life than the originals. And the Steven Wilson remixes of prog classics by Yes and Jethro Tull were done right as the overall sound didn't change much...the remixes added more 'air' and 'breath', and a needed dose of clarity to the originals.

But, IMO, the best example ever is the '06 remix of the Flots debut. The separation is unreal...bass shines like never before and this version begs to be played as loud as humanly possible. It's perfect. It's the definitive version, IMO.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/F ... ver/505959

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:01 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Cradle of Filth's Cruelty and the Beast re-mistressed (...) has become my favorite version of that album and gave me a newfound appreciation for it. Just getting rid of the original's drum sound raises the score by several points :lol:

Yup.

I ranked that album near the top of their discography even when it had those awful "typewriter drums." The new version fixed the original's most obvious problem without breaking anything else.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:24 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:

Yup.

I ranked that album near the top of their discography even when it had those awful "typewriter drums." The new version fixed the original's most obvious problem without breaking anything else.

I've read that some elements of the earlier recording as much more buried in the new version. I need to listen to both back to back and see.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:51 am 

I've seen those complaints too, like I think it was an Amazon reviewer who said the guitars seemed toned down on the "Re-Mistressed" version. I didn't notice that.

Not being an audiophile and not having a high-end system, my opinion on sound quality comes with a huge YMMV disclaimer. I've never minded the way And Justice for All sounds and I know plenty of people disagree.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4