Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 am 

At least Noonan looked the part, 6'5" and capable of shoulder pressing nearly 300lbs (as in the book)

And don't mention Edward Norton, may as well have cast John Inman :ugh:

Attitude, that's it, Brian Cox had more attitude :)

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:59 pm 

YOU DUNGY SHEEP SHAGGERS!!! Especially you Necro/Lex! You are the dungiest and the most prone to bestiality of all!

About Edward Norton; has anyone here watched American History X? Man, that movie kicks ass. And napes :-D

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:01 pm 

Calm down or I'll spread some dulce de leche all over your body and let you rot near an ant-hill.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:03 pm 

I started these Manhunter shenanigans, and now I sit on my throne of awesomeness/superior movie taste and laugh.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:12 pm 

You know I'm not serious, right Tony? Also, you have dulce de leche in Canada?! :scratch:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 pm 

Yeah, I like it a lot. The one I have is from Argentina actually, I thought of you. It's glorious when you want a sugar rush.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:31 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Just as I thought, the only time the cat-owning prisoners cause any trouble is when someone fucks with their cat.

Don't fuck with us kitty lovers.

Have you read Papillon?

cats have that "Smaug" look

Spoiler: show

though I wish they'd leave the birds alone :grr:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:40 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
mindshadow wrote:
Couldn't watch Red Dragon after reading the book, Ralph Fiennes = Francis Dolarhyde :???:

Fiennes was spectacular as Dolarhyde. Tom Noonan just looked like Colin Mochrie with pantyhose on his head.

Yet more evidence that Zelkiiro should just stick to watching anime. Where I can safely ignore him and his opinions.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:58 pm 

Oh yeah, you're right. Tom Noonan's Dolarhyde was just soooooo intimidating.

JAZZ HAAAAAAAANDS~!!

EDIT: Even the tattoo is wrong. And they ruined the ending by just having it be a stock shootout with bad editing (after, of course, turning Dolarhyde into a stock bad guy killin' dudes because he's bad!).

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm 

Oh please, anyone can cherry pick stills from movies to make things look ridiculous.

Like what about this guy:

EDIT RESPONDING TO THE EDIT: Also it wasn't a "stock shootout", it was actually one of the best shootouts OF ALL TIME. It fit the pacing way better than Dolarhyde somehow surviving (and nobody seeming to care or notice that they didn't find the appropriate body in the house fire...) and reappearing later. Also if you'll note, they hint at Dolarhyde's history in Manhunter plenty, but don't ham-fistedly spell it out for everyone through the cheesy use of a diary. They used the same approach with Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, are you saying that was lame too?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 pm 

Buffalo Bill's always been ludicrous and (un?)intentionally hilarious, though.

EDIT: I wouldn't say that, because Buffalo Bill was left mostly a mystery in the original novel, too. Dolarhyde's past was explicitly revealed in the Red Dragon novel, and the fact that Manhunter felt that petty things like "motive" and "character development" for its villain were unnecessary doesn't do it any favors. You're supposed to know about Dolarhyde's backstory.

Buffalo Bill and Dolarhyde are two entirely different villains. Buffalo Bill is the mysterious and uniquely specific villain that begs you to ponder the unknown and reel in horror, while Dolarhyde is the villain whose life is laid out on the table and the horror comes from the fact that this could have been anyone, given the right conditions. And there's some hubbub about the conflct between what is right and what is natural, but whatevs.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:28 pm 

Fiennes played the Dolarhyde excellently. Red Dragon is great too.

Obligatory Last FM Link

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:29 pm 

Actually they pretty explicitly go into Dolarhyde's motive in Manhunter, and he gets a fair amount of character development too. Note that at the end, right before he gets killed, he actually isn't able to bring himself to murder the blind woman. Maybe you should watch it again.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:48 pm 

Metantoine about dulce de leche wrote:
Yeah, I like it a lot. The one I have is from Argentina actually, I thought of you. It's glorious when you want a sugar rush.

Oh yes, one of the best things to come out of Argentina*! It goes great with cookies, bread, cake..... Terrific, terrific stuff. Also, have you tried anointing both butter and dulce de leche on your toasts? It's absolutely and utterly unbelievable :-D

*Let NO ONE fool you. Dulce de leche is Argentinian, and whoever says otherwise is a filthy liar!

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:03 pm 

regarding Manhunter - can't really say which actors I liked best compared with the newer movies but Manhunter is great in terms of it's 80s aesthetics, filming and also the score. All things being kind of M. Mann's trademarks generally...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:55 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
About Edward Norton; has anyone here watched American History X? Man, that movie kicks ass. And napes :-D

Ed Norton's great when he's well cast, but he's in quite a few shitty movies. He totally surprised me in Moonrise Kingdom recently. What a fucking bizarre role for him, but it was really great :lol:

And yeah, American History X is probably his masterpiece.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:11 pm 

AHX is fantastic, one of my favorite movies. I liked him in The Hulk too, although it obviously wasn't the same sort of film. I've seen him in a couple of other things too, haven't really seen him in a bad role, though I haven't seen the one you guys are talking about. One of my favorite actors for sure, though.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 pm 

I've had to go back and check to make sure this wasn't the movie thread like three different times now :|

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:11 pm 

Reposting this from the DM help thread just for extra coverage: someone please help, I'm trying to remember a newer death metal release that was getting praised a lot here on the Archives, I think it was possibly death/doom from the US, and the cover art was beige, very simple with just some stamped-looking text and some little skeletons on it or something. Fuck... I know this sounds painfully vague but if it jogs anyone's mind, do let me know. People were mentioning it several times in the past year on threads about notable newer death releases.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 pm 

My favorite Ed Norton movie is probably Primal Fear, just because I love that kind of movie, but AHX was pretty good too, definitely some awesome acting on his part there. And Fight Club is a lot of fun even today, despite it not having aged as well as some of my other old favorite movies.

U_S, Sonne Adam's debut?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:50 pm 

Primal Fear is ace. Definitely part of a handful of films with twists I didn't see coming. Also the only movie I can stand Richard Gere in. Ps: Screw you iAm, I'm sure there are movies I'm the desert :p

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:57 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
U_S, Sonne Adam's debut?

No, I'm pretty sure it was a US band whose name is just one word. The cover art was actually pretty minimal. If someone has an easy link to some of the modern death metal gems threads I could probably just look there.

EDIT: Aha! It was Drowned. Viscera Terrae.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:05 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Reposting this from the DM help thread just for extra coverage: someone please help, I'm trying to remember a newer death metal release that was getting praised a lot here on the Archives, I think it was possibly death/doom from the US, and the cover art was beige, very simple with just some stamped-looking text and some little skeletons on it or something. Fuck... I know this sounds painfully vague but if it jogs anyone's mind, do let me know. People were mentioning it several times in the past year on threads about notable newer death releases.

Only thing I can think of right now that comes close to this is the new Evoken album, but that may not be it.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 am 

It was Drowned after all, but as it happens I just listened to the new Evoken and it rules pretty hard. Not quite as excellent as Antithesis of Light, but fairly awesome nonetheless.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:48 am 

Ah! As it happens, I'm currently listening to Antithesis of Light and each time this album floors me. Meandering (in a good way), crushing music.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:57 am 

Absolutely...it's really something you can get lost in. Definitely one of the paragons of the death/doom concept.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:00 am 

Even the whole aesthetic is perfect. The cavernous production, the intense use of note bending, the blending of clean guitars, overdriven bass and minimalist drums, hell even the cover art. Ugh, just so good! It's one of those "tune-in and drop-out" sort of albums.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:04 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Ps: Screw you iAm, I'm sure there are movies I'm the desert :p

Nope.

We're too busy fending off giant mutated cows, bandits, and the occasional flesh eating undead.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:08 am 

I need to get out there man....I imagine I would do quite well in the desert.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:11 am 

The police logs here are quite the riot. There was one recently about a Hispanic man who dressed as an Indian(I shit you not) armed with an unloaded rifle on the roof of his trailer shouting in tongues to passers-by. It didn't say what he was on other than a stimulant- but it was probably crystal meth or pcp.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:19 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I just listened to the new Evoken and it rules pretty hard. Not quite as excellent as Antithesis of Light, but fairly awesome nonetheless.

I'm starting to feel that Atra Mors may be better than Antithesis of Light, just personally. I'll need more listens of both albums, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:34 am 

iAm wrote:
We're too busy fending off giant mutated cows, bandits, and the occasional flesh eating undead.

Ghuls are mutants, not undead. If you'd ever been to Underworld you'd know that a lot of them are civilized and non-cannibalistic. :nono:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:45 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
EDIT: Aha! It was Drowned. Viscera Terrae.

Godly, godly demo. Some of the best German death metal (along with Venenum) I've heard in a while. Hopefully this lot will deliver a full length album some time in the near future. This demo's crushing, vast cavernous atmosphere is amazing, especially the track, Abyssic Dead, They Sing For Me :drool:

MikeyC wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
I just listened to the new Evoken and it rules pretty hard. Not quite as excellent as Antithesis of Light, but fairly awesome nonetheless.

I'm starting to feel that Atra Mors may be better than Antithesis of Light, just personally. I'll need more listens of both albums, though.

:wtf: seriously?! Imma gonna hafta look into this with more of a concentrated effort. Antithesis Of Light is a certified masterpiece.

My collection

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:11 am 

Mikey has bad taste, so you should always expect him to say crazy things :p Atra Mors is an excellent album though, I just feel that some of the Evoken (tm) intense bleakness is sacrificed in the melodic parts, and some of the DM parts. Kinda reminds me of Mournful Congregation with all the lead guitar melodies, and its good and all, it just doesn't have as much unique personality.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:53 am 

Would agree with that. Antithesis of Light has a really timeless feeling, a quintessential darkness that's seamless and grandiose, all-consuming. You're on a mine car to stygian blackness and there's no getting off. Atra Mors has a wider variety of colors in its palette, and actually I thought the major-key elements and cleaner guitar segments were handled very tastefully and with good care. They never destroy the integrity of the music and I definitely appreciate the stylistic change. One of the only few weak points I can even remember from my first listen were the very ending of "The Unechoing Dead" and a couple patches here and there where the synth seemed a bit too pillowy, but I'd point out minor stuff like that in albums like The Book of Kings or The Maniacal Vale as well, so if that's anything to go by, it's still a damn good album.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 am 

I've been re-reading some articles for Social Anthropology on the subject of witchcraft among various cultures of the world - The main point, as far as I can tell, is to gain insight into cultural relativity, and all of the abstract underlying notions.

However, is this the bit I'll remember for longest? Probably not. I think that will be the fact that there are a people in New Guinea who believe that a dark spirit in the form of a bird will kill you by flying up your arse and devouring your innards.

Cultures are fantastically interesting.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 am 

And what about the Philippines, man? They have flying female torsos that eat unborn babies, detached heads with their innards hanging from their necks that subsist by introducing a proboscis up a person's ass and sucking out their shit, and humanoid horse-demons that spend their free time confusing travelers, smoking cigars, and stomping/slapping people silly.....

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:12 am 

One of the ones I found most interesting is of an Amazonian people - They believe that at the creation of the world, some children stole fire to cook food, from a witch. The witch tried to chase them up a tree, but a piranha bit through the vine she was climbing, and she feel to her death. In revenge, she became all of the panthers. Not just a few panthers, but like, the whole notion of panther.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 am 

So, kids steal fire from witch, witch gets killed by a jerk piranha, and becomes a whole species of man-eating cats. Makes sense.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:16 am 

So the PCC started attacking again this year. Mass murders, abductions, burning busses, terror on the streets, so exciting!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 681, 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, 687 ... 827  Next