Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:33 pm 

Does anyone else think Udo Dirkschneider looks like a blonde Joe Pesci?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:54 pm 

correct pronunciation of "drudkh" is "drunk", y'all don't know shit

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:02 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Does anyone else think Udo Dirkschneider looks like a blonde Joe Pesci?

I think he looks more like Hannibal Lecter, at any rate.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:08 pm 

BRIAN COX?!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:11 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
BRIAN COX?!

Fuck Manhunter. Tom Noonan ruined Dolarhyde and Brian Cox was completely bland.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:17 pm 

godsonsafari wrote:
Wesley Willis is amazing and anyone just learning about the man now is way behind in the game. Greatest homeless psychotic artist ever discovered by Jello Biafra. "Michael Jackson" or "I Whupped Batman's Ass" are his magnum opus.

His music never fails to make me laugh and put a smile on my face, in a good way.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:23 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Please god let this not be a joke. James Malone quits his own band and decides to be a strength and conditioning coach for the Mets. It can't be real, the dude weighs like 90 pounds AND he battles anorexia.

They edited a while after you made that post.

DISCLAIMER: Jim Malone has neither retired from Arsis nor taken a position with the New York Mets or any other professional or non-professional sports team. If you thought this was a real story, please consult a doctor, as you may be mentally handicapped and entitled to government benefits.

MS is either backpedaling on the "news" they broke or they fucking suck really bad at humor.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:26 pm 

Man this album is really heavy considering it came out in 1969, sick stuff. Just got their 2nd cd and listening to it now. Would post a youtube link but the record company removed it due to copyright reasons, what bs.
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... _shanties/

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:27 pm 

Necroticism174 about me saying that Udo looks like Hannibal Lecter wrote:
BRIAN COX?!

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Only Anthony Hopkins is real!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:32 pm 

@Adriankat: MS makes troll posts all the time, and that was an obvious one. Also, Manhunter is the best movie ever and you all know it!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:38 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Necroticism174 about me saying that Udo looks like Hannibal Lecter wrote:
BRIAN COX?!

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Only Anthony Hopkins is real!

To be honest I think Brian Cox was the better Lecter. Not because he is a better actor or anything, but just because he was much more realistic-seeming - Hopkins was just too obviously evil, whereas Cox appears way more unassuming at first, only giving you little hints at his darker side. Hopkins did a great job in Silent of the Lambs from an acting perspective, but he played it so intensely that it seems ridiculous to imagine him getting away with his cannibalism for so long. He just looked and acted wayyyy too much like a serial killer. Remember, Lecter was supposed to have masqueraded as a psychiatrist for most of his life; those behaviors and mannerisms would be hard-wired into his persona. Cox actually looked and acted like a psychiatrist, and was very blustery and full of small talk, but only to smokescreen his true motive of trying to wrangle Will Graham's phone number and address to share with the Red Dragon.

Now, obviously some of that distinction is due to the original books, and it would be interesting if both of them had been in different versions of Silence of the Lambs, rather than just the small role the character had in Manhunter/Red Dragon. Manhunter was definitely the better movie of those two, though.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:41 pm 

I thought Metal Injection was the one that had a penchant for trolling, so I didn't even think about it. After my initial excitement of "This is just too strange to not be true" I gave it a modicum of thought and realized how clear of a joke it was. Oh well, for about five minutes the child in me wanted to believe it so badly that I did.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:45 pm 

While I agree with Failsafeman about Cox portraying Lecter better and more believably, Hopkins performance is almost inarguably more entertaining and manhunter wasn't really a good movie. Also, while Noonan was good as a serial killer in that X-Files episode, he was flat in that movie and Fiennes was better in every conceivable way.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:48 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
To be honest I think Brian Cox was the better Lecter. Not because he is a better actor or anything, but just because he was much more realistic-seeming - Hopkins was just too obviously evil, whereas Cox appears way more unassuming at first, only giving you little hints at his darker side. Hopkins did a great job in Silent of the Lambs from an acting perspective, but he played it so intensely that it seems ridiculous to imagine him getting away with his cannibalism for so long. He just looked and acted wayyyy too much like a serial killer. Remember, Lecter was supposed to have masqueraded as a psychiatrist for most of his life; those behaviors and mannerisms would be hard-wired into his persona. Cox actually looked and acted like a psychiatrist, and was very blustery and full of small talk, but only to smokescreen his true motive of trying to wrangle Will Graham's phone number and address to share with the Red Dragon.

Now, obviously some of that distinction is due to the original books, and it would be interesting if both of them had been in different versions of Silence of the Lambs, rather than just the small role the character had in Manhunter/Red Dragon. Manhunter was definitely the better movie of those two, though.

Well, yes, you could argue that Cox's Lecter is much closer to the book version and thus the best version, but then again, I never found myself saying "Man, I wish Hopkins would stick more to the novels", as I found his performance overwhelmingly good and interesting. Over the top and perhaps even a bit cheesy? Most likely, but also very entertaining, which is the reason a watch movies on the first place; to be entertained.

Don't be fooled by my previous comment though, as I do like Cox. Just not nearly as much as Hopkins :-D

PS: Agree about Fiennes doing a great job as Dolarhyde in Red Dragon. Guy got the whole "traumatized psychopath" thing down to a T.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Don't be fooled by my previous comment though, as I do like Cox. Just not nearly as much as Hopkins :-D

Too easy.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:04 pm 

I coughed up my juice.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:12 pm 

I don't like MS humour, the 'corpse paint is so hilarious' shtick and that Axl guy who reports and rags on semi-metal bands every week. There's no need for these posts but he continually does it like he secretly loves them. He just reeks of poser and there's no two ways about it. Not a fan of the new layout either. At least they stopped that lame black metal brunch with Drex. It's totally funny if you're 12.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
manhunter wasn't really a good movie. Also, while Noonan was good as a serial killer in that X-Files episode, he was flat in that movie and Fiennes was better in every conceivable way.

What are you, crazy? Manhunter is seriously one of my favorite movies, and Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors (if you haven't seen Thief, go watch it now). I thought Fiennes was pretty silly in Red Dragon to be honest. Part of that was due to the book of course (the part where he breaks into the museum to eat the painting is just stupid), but Noonan was wayyyy better in pretty much every way. I much prefer how in Manhunter they don't beat you over the head with the Red Dragon's tortured past, but rather dropped tantalizing hints; it's what they did with Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs and it worked really well there too.

Also, the scene where the Red Dragon gets taken down in Manhunter with In-A-Gada-Da-Vida playing is just awesome.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 pm 

I haven't seen Manhunter in years, but I remember it being better than Red Dragon at any rate, which was fun but ultimately pretty retarded, and Fiennes was just over the top goofy in it. Silence of the Lambs is always gonna be my favorite Lector film though. That one's actually gotten better in my eyes every time I watch it.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Don't be fooled by my previous comment though, as I do like Cox.

Sig worthy :lol:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 pm 

Also, I have to say I just really, really didn't buy Ed Norton as Will Graham. He just seemed so...dopey, where the character is supposed to be pretty much on the brink of becoming a serial killer himself.
Empyreal wrote:
I haven't seen Manhunter in years, but I remember it being better than Red Dragon at any rate, which was fun but ultimately pretty retarded, and Fiennes was just over the top goofy in it. Silence of the Lambs is always gonna be my favorite Lector film though. That one's actually gotten better in my eyes every time I watch it.

You should watch Manhunter again. I wouldn't say it's better than Silence of the Lambs, but it's an excellent movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 pm 

Yeah, I think I should. I remember a lot of really nice camerawork and atmosphere in there - and I definitely don't remember there being anything wrong with the acting or anything like Necro or Xlxlx was saying...

I just love that scene in Red Dragon where Fiennes is doing some kind of naked Dragonball Z impression, flexing his muscles and screaming and everything...truly the portrait of real insanity there, huh? I guess they did something kind of cool with his relationship with that blind woman though. That bumped the movie up a little.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:44 pm 

I haven't watched Red Dragon in years but I found both movies to be good, however, Manhunter had a way more memorable and fulfilling ending. Have any of you seen Tom Noonan in What Happened Was..? The film is quite strange and rare, I've yet to discuss this movie with anyone, most people roll their eyes like I'm making it up.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am 

Tom Noonan was also great in the small role he had on Louie, as this creepy doctor Louis CK's Sunday school teacher brings in to scare the kids into respecting the church by painstakingly (yuk yuk) going over all the wounds suffered by Christ during the crucifixion. Louie's just a great show in general but that part in particular was especially good.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 am 

I love Louie but the last season was extremely weak. He's taking a long break now, it's for the better.

Last edited by Necroticism174 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Manhunter had a way more memorable and fulfilling ending.

You're joking, right? :annoyed:

Honestly, the only good thing about Manhunter is William Petersen's portrayal of Will Graham.

Last edited by Zelkiiro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:18 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I love Louie but the last season was extremely weak. He's taking a long break now, it's for the better.

Season 3? I've actually only seen seasons 1 and 2. Too bad.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:22 am 

Yeah, there were a few funny single moments, but no entirely funny episodes. I guess he was burned out.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:11 am 

I thought this season was just fine. Not always hilarious, but the show was never really about nonstop laughs. The two-parter where he goes on a date with Parker Posey was especially great.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:43 am 

I've never liked anything from the Hannibal Lector series, whether books or movies (too derivative, too pseudo-intellectual, too edgy for the sake of edgy), but I'm still looking forward to the upcoming television series, because Bryan Fuller is my Jesus and Mads Mikkelsen is my co-Jesus. I'm not expecting magic, since Fuller has indicated it's going to stick very closely to Harris's shitty, shitty novels, but I'm sure it'll at least be entertaining.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 am 

Beautiful story: http://catodyssey.blogspot.in/2007/05/i ... -city.html

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:44 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Wow, that was really interesting. It makes sense that the cats would change the prisoners, but the extent to which it happened is really something else.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:53 am 

Just as I thought, the only time the cat-owning prisoners cause any trouble is when someone fucks with their cat.

Don't fuck with us kitty lovers.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:19 am 

Morrigan wrote:

That's awesome. It's obvious that prison is an unhealthy place that usually ruins people - and then releases them back into society. This seems like an easy and effective fix.

Don't let Frog see it though.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:43 am 

So a few hours before my exam, my university thought it would be a great idea to have a fire drill at 5 AM. I think I barely got two hours of sleep. Same exact thing happened last year. Perhaps 5 in the morning isn't the greatest time to have a fire drill, Bishop's?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 am 

Morrigan wrote:

cats=gods

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Usually 'inspirational' stories aren't really my thing, but this is pretty amazing; the anecdote of that one cat looking for its 'person' in the same spot every day while he was in court made me go "awwwww" in that ridiculous high-pitched voice so loudly that I woke up my own cat.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:43 am 

"But mostly, it’s the offenders keeping them safe. I have never once seen an offender kill his own cat. We screen them to be sure they have no history of animal abuse. But I’ll tell you this, there was a guy killed in here because he had spit soda pop onto someone else’s cat.”
Wow....surprised she didn't elaborate on that little story. heheh

That was touching though. love cats...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:43 am 

failsafeman wrote:
To be honest I think Brian Cox was the better Lecter*

I think so to, he had something, his accent? more calculating? I found him very believable, though Hopkins was seriously good in Lambs.

Couldn't watch Red Dragon after reading the book, Ralph Fiennes = Francis Dolarhyde :???:

* Lecktor :-P

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 am 

mindshadow wrote:
Couldn't watch Red Dragon after reading the book, Ralph Fiennes = Francis Dolarhyde :???:

Fiennes was spectacular as Dolarhyde. Tom Noonan just looked like Colin Mochrie with pantyhose on his head.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 680, 681, 682, 683, 684, 685, 686 ... 827  Next