Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gengar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:29 pm 

Whatsup musicians! Hope you don't mind a little shameless self promotion on here but I would love to hear some professional opinions on my band's latest release; our 2012 demo. Here is a link to one of our songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z337rBQxQFg&feature=plcp

If you have a song you want some feedback on please shoot me a link and I will check it out!

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:59 pm 

Well my opinion is far from professional, but I'll give some honest feedback. I often felt like each riff was so self contained that they didn't really flow from one to another and that I could stop listening to the song at any point because nothing built up to a crescendo. The song "Singularity" was an exception to this compared to the other two I listened to on youtube. On that song the overall structure and lead guitar especially made some forward momentum, impressive given the song's length.

Maybe I am just not a fan of this style of metal's vocals, but I thought they weren't dynamic and didn't do much to add texture to the music. Aside from the cleans on "Utopian Flesh" they seems kind of just laid on top of the guitar melody in a flat way. While keeping a more interesting rhythmic punch, the vocals just didn't do enough for me melodically and felt overly processed - in the same way that Limbonic Art or Bal-Sagoth often do black metal vocals but taking slight cues from a more barking monotone death metal delivery. That said, they didn't detract from the music and weren't really offensive, just kind of there.

Negative comments aside, it was different enough to stand out from other bands, particularly due to the heavily melodic and sweepy guitars. The sound was mature and put together in a cleaner more professional way than I would expect for a demo, so kudos for that. I think your band can do well if you do more songs like "Singularity" as a lot of people are into this kind of stuff.

Any plans for a full length?

Gengar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 pm 

Thanks dude! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for =]

We plan to record a full length next year with all new material!

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 pm 

Glad to hear it and good luck with recording the full length! Have y'all started writing new material yet or is that on hold for now?

Gengar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 am 

Yeah we're working on entirely new material for the full length! Here's some riffs from a new song, unfortunately its only playing along to midi though =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXFKWhwsHo&feature=plcp

Something_Inside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:02 pm 

in terms of proficiency, top notch. Really not my cup of tea though.

Gengar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:43 pm 

Something_Inside wrote:
in terms of proficiency, top notch. Really not my cup of tea though.

That's totally cool dude I appreciate it!

Guys if you have music send me some links!

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:34 pm 

Pretty awesome stuff.

It has a nice balance of being technical while still remaining black metal.

:) Jack and the Moose

Gengar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:43 pm 

:) Just a friendly bump. Hope you peeps are digging it. We're getting some more material up come later October so subscribe to our youtube channel!

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:22 pm 

I'm really liking this! Cool to see that you guys are in the same area as me, too. Check out my music (in my signature) if you get the opportunity.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:30 am 

Gengar wrote:
Whatsup musicians! Hope you don't mind a little shameless self promotion on here but I would love to hear some professional opinions on my band's latest release; our 2012 demo.

Some feedback, which I hope will be seen as constructive. This isn't my style of music, so take it with a grain of salt.

Overall, I find the chord progressions interesting but each song feels too cerebral. I must say how great the guitar playing is, though. Just freaking sick at times. But that might be your worst enemy. It feels like the entire process of song creations (and this is just an impression here) was done by a guitarist looking to showcase a series of interesting guitar riffs, rather than build an actual cool song. The result is what Apteronotus above describes: some cool parts in the songs that feel confined, self-contained.

Overall, the delivery, the actual performance by everyone is pretty ballsy, intense, metal. Even though the material is raw, the performance is confident, mature. Nothing wannabe here. But I personally find the singing very limited and the drumming monotonous. I think that's an issue I have with this type of music in general, though. But take the song you posted later (the demo with midi) and notice how the song actually becomes a lot more interesting when you change tempo, slow down, leave some room to breathe and creativity.

My guess is whoever is in charge (most probably the guitarist) is an intensely creative person, very talented but still too caught up in technique over feel at this point and that perhaps more input by other band members is needed. In the next few months or years, this will be a lot smoother with even better songs. There's real talent here. And it's not unoriginal either! I hope we will get to listen to a song of the finished album to see how you guys progressed and I wish you the best of luck!

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:41 pm 

This song is pretty fucking technical, but you guys pulled it off really well. I think you could have increased the volume of the guitars more in the mix, and I'd like to hear that kick drum just a touch more. The production/execution sounds very clean and professional in my opinion. Also the snare is far too low in the mix for my liking, but that's just my personal taste, so take it with a grain of salt. Depending on how the snare actually sounds at a louder volume, perhaps it would be good to add a bit of compression to the snare to give it a bit more of a mechanical sound, I think that would sound great with this type of music.

Edit: I'm still new to mixing and signal processors myself, but I think you've done a great job with what you're trying to achieve. There are just some smaller details you could experiment with from now.

Gengar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:39 am 

Two new tracks are up!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LovECzv1kE8

Reply to topic