Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:51 pm 

in boarderlands2 i mainly carry in my four slots a shotgun, a sniper rifle, a pistol, and either a second sniper rifle or a high elemental submachine gun.. on xbox live my gamer tage is Primal Void i am zero and a lvl 32 character. if anyone from here would like to play co op.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:33 am 

So one of Grand Theft Auto V's main characters is inspired by Walt off Breaking Bad.

It'll be bigger than GTA IV, San Andreas, and Red Dead Redemption combined.

That alone makes it sound appealing to me.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:55 am 

Yeah it's gonna be boss.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:11 am 

On the plus, there's no way it could possibly be worse than IV.

On the minus, it looks like Rockstar's longstanding tradition of stealing (excuse me, "paying homage to") established characters/situations/plotlines/specific lines of dialog/sexual positions involving coffee remains woefully intact.

Why the fuck do people keep telling Dan Houser he can write? You're only egging the bastard on.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:34 am 

The three protagonist thing is going to be awesome for replay value. Play one mission as the getaway driver, play the same mission again as the sniper, or do a mix of both. I really like how the other two characters are living their daily life during free roam too. I wonder if you could hit them up and cause some senseless mayhem (or co-op).

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:26 am 

Not a big fan of the GTA series. IV's expansions are better than the main game definitely. I think I'd already been spoiled by Saints Row 2 and later, Just Cause 2. It wasn't good to play those games before GTAIV and the expansions.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:44 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
It'll be bigger than GTA IV, San Andreas, and Red Dead Redemption combined.

Nothing personal, but do these kind of claims really still impress people?
Part of what made GTA IV so shit is having to spend 50% of your time traveling from point a to point b through a pointlessly big and empty city. And I swear they'd construct missions specifically to draw out travel time, I'm guessing just so you can hear some inane dialogue about prison rape or whatever.
And don't get me started on Far Cry 2, that game could have been amazing had it followed it's predecessor's method of doing world/level design. Instead it was nearly excruciating.

Had the games industry matured by now, instead of "shut up and take my money" people would reply to these boasts:
"is the content in it any good?"
"does it really have a point?"
"If not, does it at least not get in the way of progress when the ones among us who aren't impressionable drooling idiots inevitably get over the "wow!" factor?
or at the very least have a fun and/or convenient travel method?"

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:54 am 

Quote:
And don't get me started on Far Cry 2, that game could have been amazing had it followed it's predecessor's method of doing world/level design. Instead it was nearly excruciating.

I've only played it once, but I remember two distinct things. Firstly, the fire was really realistic. Secondly, everything was so fucking far away from everything else. I eventually got bored just because of the sheer amount of travelling, and constantly being attacked - Random encounters I usually enjoy, but there's such a thing as too much.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:23 am 

Aslong as theres planes/choppers and stuff to travel long distances with, the bigger the better.

But i remember all the good shit they were talking about to hype up gtaIV then it turned out to be boring as fuck.

Thrashedtofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:55 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Not a big fan of the GTA series. IV's expansions are better than the main game definitely. I think I'd already been spoiled by Saints Row 2 and later, Just Cause 2. It wasn't good to play those games before GTAIV and the expansions.

The first was the shit when it came out and the third was pretty much the first good 3D sandbox game (with vice city as a great expansion of the idea).

Two and four I agree were not that great.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:57 pm 

I've been saying GTA was shit since forever. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:58 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Quote:

I've only played it once, but I remember two distinct things. Firstly, the fire was really realistic. Secondly, everything was so fucking far away from everything else. I eventually got bored just because of the sheer amount of travelling, and constantly being attacked - Random encounters I usually enjoy, but there's such a thing as too much.

Yeah, I quit that game too for the same reason more or less. I remember spending all this time running around, and finally bought a new gun, only to find it wasn't much better than the one I had. Also, those fucking camps just kept spawning new guys no matter how many times you cleared them out, and if you tried to avoid them they'd just drive after you in jeeps and you'd end up fighting them anyway. So fucking tedious.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:15 pm 

I really wanted to like Far Cry 2, but things like
failsafeman wrote:
Also, those fucking camps just kept spawning new guys no matter how many times you cleared them out, and if you tried to avoid them they'd just drive after you in jeeps and you'd end up fighting them anyway.
made it way too fucking boring. I had more fun setting the grass on fire and seeing it spread around than playing the actual game.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:38 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

Yeah, I quit that game too for the same reason more or less. I remember spending all this time running around, and finally bought a new gun, only to find it wasn't much better than the one I had. Also, those fucking camps just kept spawning new guys no matter how many times you cleared them out, and if you tried to avoid them they'd just drive after you in jeeps and you'd end up fighting them anyway. So fucking tedious.

Funny that the same criticism applies to STALKER yet that game gets constant praise.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:09 pm 

There may be some superficial similarities between STALKER and Far Cry 2 but they really are extremely different. The first and third STALKER games are still among my all time favourite games while I gave up on FC2 after maybe 3 hours filled with much annoyment and horribly generic gameplay. STALKER is flawed but it's strengths more than make up for it. The narrative, the atmosphere, the manifold and organic feel of the environment, the variety and almost complete lack of routine in the gameplay, these are among the things that define the STALKER games and in this regard they are not in the least bit comparable to FC2.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:18 pm 

Expedience wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Funny that the same criticism applies to STALKER yet that game gets constant praise.

Um, no? There are several huge differences - the first major difference is that there's actually an advantage to repeatedly killing enemies in STALKER, i.e. you get to loot them for ammo, guns, general valuables; so even if you were killing the same group of guys you killed before, there was always some sense of progression. Enemies in Far Cry 2 didn't drop shit, and you had to find hidden diamonds to buy new equipment, rather than finding generic items and selling them for cash; so repeatedly fighting enemies was basically a giant fucking waste of time. The second major difference is that in STALKER, the time it takes for enemies to respawn in a camp is way longer, while in Far Cry 2 it's very quick, so not only are you fighting the same guys much less frequently in STALKER, by the time you to, chances are you'll have much better equipment and just destroy them. Third, pretty much every camp is very easy to avoid and the enemies aren't too obsessed with chasing you, unlike in Far Cry 2 where the camps were usually situated near bridges, roads, etc. that you needed to use and they would chase you down in jeeps if they saw you at all.

That was probably just another Expedience-brand troll comment, but it was just so damn wrong I couldn't help myself.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:09 am 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Nothing personal, but do these kind of claims really still impress people?
Part of what made GTA IV so shit is having to spend 50% of your time traveling from point a to point b through a pointlessly big and empty city. And I swear they'd construct missions specifically to draw out travel time, I'm guessing just so you can hear some inane dialogue about prison rape or whatever.

Had the games industry matured by now, instead of "shut up and take my money" people would reply to these boasts:
"is the content in it any good?"
"does it really have a point?"
"If not, does it at least not get in the way of progress when the ones among us who aren't impressionable drooling idiots inevitably get over the "wow!" factor?
or at the very least have a fun and/or convenient travel method?"

Minecraft is like the size of Neptune, so no that's not all that matters cause I never touched the game.

Rockstar isn't going to randomly generate large land areas. They're known for their attention to detail. If you're playing the game and you feel like you're Walter White in New Mexico, then some gangsta in Los Angeles, and then a mob boss in Las Vegas, then the game's size is easily justified and something to be excited about.

Sort of like when the size of Dark Souls was first announced. We knew it wasn't gonna be long stretches of nothing. It was gonna be like Demon's Souls but 4 times bigger.

GTAV won't have that same constant excitement, but I doubt we'll see re-hashed areas, long stretches of a highway in the middle of nowhere, and so on. From EA or Capcom if they boasted an area that big, I would just think it's a boring game. But having enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, I'm interested if GTAV will be good.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:43 am 

i really enjoyed red dead redemption but i havent enjoyed a gta since vice city

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:13 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Um, no? There are several huge differences - the first major difference is that there's actually an advantage to repeatedly killing enemies in STALKER, i.e. you get to loot them for ammo, guns, general valuables; so even if you were killing the same group of guys you killed before, there was always some sense of progression. Enemies in Far Cry 2 didn't drop shit, and you had to find hidden diamonds to buy new equipment, rather than finding generic items and selling them for cash; so repeatedly fighting enemies was basically a giant fucking waste of time. The second major difference is that in STALKER, the time it takes for enemies to respawn in a camp is way longer, while in Far Cry 2 it's very quick, so not only are you fighting the same guys much less frequently in STALKER, by the time you to, chances are you'll have much better equipment and just destroy them. Third, pretty much every camp is very easy to avoid and the enemies aren't too obsessed with chasing you, unlike in Far Cry 2 where the camps were usually situated near bridges, roads, etc. that you needed to use and they would chase you down in jeeps if they saw you at all.

That was probably just another Expedience-brand troll comment, but it was just so damn wrong I couldn't help myself.

What? Even if I found that Far Cry 2 had the feeling of progression just as much as Stalker did and the latter was significantly more repetitive? I'm not saying Far Cry 2 is the better game and I don't think that, but I don't think it's any worse than the kind of criticisms that apply to Stalker. Some people, contrary to your belief, might even find those three criticisms you give to FC2 part of what makes the game exciting and not negative aspects of the game at all.

Drahkarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:40 pm 

Black Mesa 9/10

Some dudes got together and decided to tear down Half-Life and rebuild it completely on the Source 2007 engine. Literally, everything. Thousands of new textures, meshes, lines of dialog, models, etc. For those of you that have played HL, they did something quite clever and changed around most of the puzzles so that players who have experience with the HL series have something new and enjoyable to come back to, while still strongly nostalgic and reminiscent of the original. Got a Valve recommendation and everything. Only problem with it... is that they haven't developed the last level, Zen yet :'(. That being said, when you complete the game...
Spoiler: show
it says something along the lines of 'To Be Continued', implying that at some point they will put Zen out as DLC or something.

Oh, and I guess I should mention, it's free to play. Only requirement is a game with the Source 2007 engine, or the engine's SDK which is free to download through Steam.

Fallen Soldier
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:27 pm 

I like Final Fantasy. I've played almost the entire serie(i mean since NES) and i'm looking foward to have versus XIII, But i don't think it will be released now :/

This Is my favorite game because i've grown playing this game and even having about 30 titles, the storyline Is always creative and the graphics fucking amazing. But the last titles have some changes on the characters, i mean: the hair. I think the reason Is the actual japanese hair style. It Is stranger, but the game Is awsome

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:38 pm 

4 and 6 are the best.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:55 pm 

beat my first play through of borderlands 2 now playing it again to mX LEVEL MY SNIPER CHARACTER, who does crazy critical damage.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 am 

Expedience wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

What? Even if I found that Far Cry 2 had the feeling of progression just as much as Stalker did and the latter was significantly more repetitive? I'm not saying Far Cry 2 is the better game and I don't think that, but I don't think it's any worse than the kind of criticisms that apply to Stalker. Some people, contrary to your belief, might even find those three criticisms you give to FC2 part of what makes the game exciting and not negative aspects of the game at all.

I'm sorry, but you're just factually wrong about the progression there. STALKER had actual, measurable progression come from killing even the same group of guys - you'd get loot. Far Cry 2 had zero reward and zero progression for killing the same exact group of guys again, which they had you do A LOT. I can appreciate pure shooters just fine, I'm a big fan of Serious Sam, in which enemies don't even drop ammo, but if they're not going to reward fighting with loot they need to make the fighting itself the entire reward - Serious Sam does this through throwing hordes of enemies at you in new and surprising ways, the first Far Cry did it in giving you lots of ways to approach each camp, lots of tactics to try - but neither forces you through the same fights multiple times. Far Cry 2 not only forces you through each camp time after time, it offers zero reward for it. For the record I found the story missions in FC2 to be pretty decent, but getting there was just such a pain in the fucking ass I couldn't be bothered.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:29 am 

I beat Far Cry 2.

I beat Stalker.

I like Stalker way more.

They're very different.

I'm drunk.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:28 am 

Xeogred wrote:
I beat Far Cry 2.

I beat Stalker.

I like Stalker way more.

They're very different.

I'm drunk.

Which Stalker? Call of Pripyat was the only one I found playable. But fuck, was it good.

I am also drunk.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:37 am 

You obviously didn't play with the complete mod, then, which is now available for all three Stalkers. It's really only needed for the first two, though, since CoP was fairly stable on release. Anyway, give it a go sometime, especially for the first one. It's everything Stalker should have been, and more. Much more.

I'm stoned.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:41 am 

STALKER is fantastic. Far Cry 2 is not, based on what little I played.

Did really enjoy the first one though.

I'm on an SSRI and I took some klonopin yesterday but the effects have worn off. I was drunk last night and I'll be drunk tomorrow night. Yay for tolerance breaks!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:53 am 

darkeningday wrote:
You obviously didn't play with the complete mod, then, which is now available for all three Stalkers. It's really only needed for the first two, though, since CoP was fairly stable on release. Anyway, give it a go sometime, especially for the first one. It's everything Stalker should have been, and more. Much more.

I'm stoned.

I admittedly did download the complete mod and begin playing with it, but I had about 4 other videogames I was more interested in at the time, so I let Stalker fall to the wayside. I'll probably pick it up again sometime soonish.

As for Clear Sky...I started playing it with the Complete mod on and still couldn't finish it. The outpost-seizing thing was cool, but there was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much running around after the opening missions.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:01 am 

My only real complaints about the original STALKER (including the complete mod improvements) are how much of a waste of time doing the faction quests are, and how much running back and forth they involve in you actually want to do them. Luckily they're totally optional, but the second time around I was determined to finish all the Freedom quests and was rather pissed when the reward was not a unique exoskeleton or gun but just a bunch of ammo.

Also, in case you haven't heard yet, the ex-GSC guys are making a new multiplayer game called Survarium which looks a hell of a lot like STALKER: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07 ... survarium/

Yes, it's free-to-play, but from the description it does sound really fucking cool. The idea of teaming up with your buddies to try to survive in a harsh, Zone-like environment is tantalizing, and I like the whole plant apocalypse idea. Screenshots like this make that setting look very cool:

I just ate some tater tots.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:31 am 

Been playing Borderlands lately. The game is quite effective in its "time-sink" properties in my opinion, yet at the same time I do understand where the complaints are coming from. The price I've picked it for is what probably tilts my opinion in favor of this game though, so no BL2 for me in the near future.

In other news, apparently a Japanese Lollipop Chainsaw porn flick is already in the works. Also, there's a Prototype bundle currently live on Amazon for a mere $10, if anyone's interested. Do note that there are two versions, an all-Steam one and a mixed DRM one (PT2 is Steamworks, PT1 is DRM free).
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:01 am 

failsafeman wrote:
My only real complaints about the original STALKER (including the complete mod improvements) are how much of a waste of time doing the faction quests are, and how much running back and forth they involve in you actually want to do them. Luckily they're totally optional, but the second time around I was determined to finish all the Freedom quests and was rather pissed when the reward was not a unique exoskeleton or gun but just a bunch of ammo.

Also, in case you haven't heard yet, the ex-GSC guys are making a new multiplayer game called Survarium which looks a hell of a lot like STALKER: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07 ... survarium/

Yes, it's free-to-play, but from the description it does sound really fucking cool. The idea of teaming up with your buddies to try to survive in a harsh, Zone-like environment is tantalizing, and I like the whole plant apocalypse idea. Screenshots like this make that setting look very cool:

I just ate some tater tots.

That indeed looks good, but playing it while knowing it could have been Stalker 2...would almost be too painful. Haha.

Seriously, some of my best gaming memories involved playing CoP into the wee hours of the morning with the lights off in my room 3 summers ago...Good times.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:25 pm 

'Complete' was kind of a shitty mod for CoP compared to Misery in my opinion. Misery made it a lot tougher and a bit more realistic than Complete. Complete was wayyy too easy.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:10 pm 

yentass wrote:
In other news, apparently a Japanese Lollipop Chainsaw porn flick is already in the works.

The game already is a porn flick. :lol:

Anyone who didn't buy Resident Evil 6 did themselves right. Most of the game is sub par.

Some of the really good new stuff introduced is Agent Hunt mode. It's really nice to have the game at a very high difficulty without just altering damage stats. No you can have humans invade and be the monsters and conspire against you. Makes the game much more challenging.

Cooping with 4 people when campaigns intersect is really cool.

Ada Wong's campaign feels like classic Resident Evil. It has puzzles, some dark atmospheres, and is good so far. Leon's campaign is about 2/3 good. Chris's 1/2 fun. Jake's mostly sucks with non stop QTEs.

So barely half of the campaign is fun. The worst part is they clearly knew how to make a good Resident Evil but chose not to. The 3DS version was really good. Ada Wong's campaign has fun puzzles and a dark atmosphere.

So there's my review. Borrow the copy from someone who beat it already so they unlocked Ada Wong's campaign. Then just play hers. Leon's is also decent if you want to play coop (Ada doesn't have coop but she'll intersect with other player's campaigns for 3 person coop at times) Then just give the game back to whatever poor unfortunate soul bought it. ;)

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:47 pm 

borderlands 2 true vault hunter mode is killer, it makes the second play through better than the first due to the increased dificulty and more powerful weapons. i have yet to get a yellow weapon yet though i do have a bunch of purple ones.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:16 pm 

This thread reminded me of how goddamn irritating Far Cry 2 was. Getting from point A to point B required you to exit your vehicle at least twenty fucking times because a short burst of gun fire was enough to bring your vehicle to a halt. If stealth existed, it might have been fun to attack camps at night or some shit, but even instakilling someone with a machete would attract every African within a fifty mile radius. The story did interest me enough to actually finish it, but the play time for that thing could have been cut in half without all the bullshit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:14 pm 

That's one thing I liked about the original Far Cry, the stealth was generally quite fun. The enemies were smart, but if you were careful you could avoid being seen. It was especially fun to get the silenced MP5, put it on semi-auto, and hide in the bushes, taking single shots at a group of guys, watching them freak out and run around but be totally unable to find you.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:29 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
This thread reminded me of how goddamn irritating Far Cry 2 was. Getting from point A to point B required you to exit your vehicle at least twenty fucking times because a short burst of gun fire was enough to bring your vehicle to a halt. If stealth existed, it might have been fun to attack camps at night or some shit, but even instakilling someone with a machete would attract every African within a fifty mile radius. The story did interest me enough to actually finish it, but the play time for that thing could have been cut in half without all the bullshit.

I think Far Cry 2's single biggest error was not being able to outrun enemy vehicles and make enemies at encampments always comeback in a short period of time. They could've made things different too at night. But the game would've been so much fun if driving from point A to point B didn't ALWAYS mean stopping each few minutes. And then you can't have fun trying to escape by driving dangerously somewhere you don't know the road, neither if you're getting in a huge enemy camp. It kind of muted the experience. And strange thing, they never thought about doing a patch?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm 

Far Cry's stealth was indeed great. I loved scoping out camps from a ways away with binoculars then infiltrating and performing covert assassinations.

Better than most actual stealth games, imo. Are there any other FPS with similar playstyle options/level of fun?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:23 pm 

If you don't mind some squad based tactics stuff on top of that, the first Ghost Recon game is definitely worth a look.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 453, 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459 ... 940  Next