Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 pm 

I think I may have made a similar thread a year or two ago, but I'll be good god damned if Melechesh don't deserve an annual appreciation thread. For those who don't know, Melechesh are a thrashy black metal band with middle eastern influences (they were originally formed in Israel). These guys have riffs for days, and the middle eastern influences are very tastefully done and not tacked on like a lot of bands do. Instead of using stereotypical sounding instruments and samples, they actually craft riffs that sound like they could be used in a desert setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xElgZyOn4yQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9FS7lMh6ec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5D0A-YHxg

Don't believe me? Listen for yourselves. Because of their occult leanings, they're actually good friends with Absu, and Proscriptor drummed on their "Sphynx" album (maybe their best). Speaking of albums, their last three are definitely staples in the genre, but "Epigenesis" took me a while to get into because it takes a more layered approach instead of ripping your face off. As a side note, front man Ashmedi seems like a pretty interesting character. I met him briefly and he is very humble. There's a nice little documentary about growing up in Israel and the stigma he faced for fostering a black metal band.

So, any other fan of these guys, or first time listeners? Let me know!
Death metal is eternal.

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 pm 

Not my kind of music.

arp12
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:36 pm 

I'm a fan! I only own The Epigenesis, but that CD cetainly delivers - really cool, powerful music.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:43 pm 

I love Melechesh. I discovered them around the time that Emissaries was released. That is still my favorite album from the band though I have loved everything I have heard from them.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:15 am 

Hm, I have an Epigenesis Melechesh poster up in my room but have only listened to the album once or twice and didn't really strike me as anything special. Maybe a re-listen is necessary, they seem like a band that needs time to grow on you.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:07 am 

They have some great music, I've got three of their albums. Easily one of my favorite bands, hell, I'm gonna listen to them right now actually.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 am 

The greatest band playing middle-eastern-anything in metal. Saw them live very recently and they ruled. Talked to Ashmedi and he was nicer than I expected. Have been a fan of this band for a long time now, appreciating every album they've put out. They've only gotten better with each album, with The Epigenesis being on of my all-time favorite albums.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:34 am 

I love all of their stuff and am in the process of waiting for my copy of As Jerusalem burns and Sphinx to come in the mail, the band is just a great all around death metal band with Middle eastern instrumentals and most importantly varied songwriting. I haven't heard the Epigenesis yet though.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:06 am 

Awesome stuff. Sometimes takes some concentration to fully enjoy, but it's worthwhile.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:40 am 

Awesome band, and all the more awesome because I'm actually middle eastern and am used to the scales, drumbeats, and other styles used. I actually saw them a couple weeks ago. I had a midterm the day after but I still went. Actually, I just came back from a show now and I have a midterm tomorrow. Whatever, not relevant. Melechesh is awesome. But I don't know about an appreciation thread.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
The greatest band playing middle-eastern-anything in metal.

I like Al-Namrood better, to be honest.

Melechesh are still really cool and The Epigenesis is a fantastic album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:49 am 

I started with Sphynx and it's probably my favorite. The later stuff is still good but more flashy and polished, perhaps less substantive.

Proscriptor is the man.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:01 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I started with Sphynx and it's probably my favorite. The later stuff is still good but more flashy and polished, perhaps less substantive.

Proscriptor is the man.

I started with Djinn, also with Proscriptor. I definitely liked him better than their new guy. He was a bit less creative, but an overall catchier, more traditional drummer.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:06 am 

I prefer Meleschech for my middle-eastern scale abuse, but Meleschech are ace. Emissaries is my favourite by them, so many good riffs.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:52 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I prefer Meleschech for my middle-eastern scale abuse, but Meleschech are ace. Emissaries is my favourite by them, so many good riffs.

What about Melechesh? They're pretty good too.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:09 pm 

I would probably like them much more if Al-Namrood never existed. I like that band more, especially their 2012 album

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:18 pm 

I really like the two albusm Proscriptor played on. Not just because of him, either; the riffs are out-of-this-world amazing at times, and there's always really interesting guitar stuff going on, on sphynx particularly. But something happened after he left. They didn't change that much and the new Dutch (I think) drummer is good, but somehow their last couple of albums have been a bit dull for me. I find the production too dry or something, and even the last time I caught them on stage they didn't really impress me. Still kind of hopeful about them though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm 

Melechesh are a great band. Everything from Sphynx and onwards I find to be excellent extreme metal, and I thoroughly agree about them being one of the best bands when it comes to incorporating Middle Eastern elements in a metal context. Nothing bad to say about them whatsoever.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:50 pm 

They're cool, I really like As Jerusalem Burns and Epigenesis.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:51 pm 

deathsane wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

oh oh, so funny!

I like Melechesh a lot, one of my favorite bands for sure. A great mix of melody, awesome riffs and ethnic influences without losing any focus.

I got this poster when I got my ticket for their tour with Rotting Christ last year.
Spoiler: show

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:15 pm 

Just been getting more into them lately. I've had their first CD As Jerusalem Burns for quite some time, and I think it's a good album, very fast raw, but nothing remarkable. A month ago I listened to their album Emissaries which I think is much better, I'll probably listen to it from time to time.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:33 pm 

Sphynx is one of my favorite albums to blast when I am in the mood for some middle eastern flavor. I could play 'Of Mercury and Mercury' over and over.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:40 pm 

Fuuuuccckk, total brain fart right there. I meant Aeternam.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:51 pm 

Just bought Sphynx for 6 euros, a ripper of an album. I already have Emissaries and The Epigenesis. Emissaries has better individual killer tracks, but Epigenesis has better flow as a whole.
Great band.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:28 pm 

Great band. I have their last 3 full-lengths (can't decide on a favourite, to be honest), still need to get Djinn. :headbang:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:58 pm 

I've just recently discovered them and I've only listened to Sphinx, but I already love them.
Like you guys said, the original mix of black/death/thrash face-melting riffage and exotic atmosphere really sets them apart. Got to say, I also think vocals are great. And then there's the drumming... Just wow! Power, speed, creativity but always working for the song, NOT the other way around (got it nile?).
I think any of the other albums will have a hard time top this baby, but I've heard positive things about both pre and post Sphinx so I think I'll like them a lot as well.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
The greatest band playing middle-eastern-anything in metal.

I like Al-Namrood better, to be honest.

Melechesh are still really cool and The Epigenesis is a fantastic album.

I'm listening to Al-Namrood right now, and you're right, they are quite good.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm 

Same here, this thread has made me discover Al-Namrood, what a fucking killer band! As for Melechesh, well they're a top notch act too. My favourite would be either Sphinx or Epigenesis.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:52 pm 

Caught'em live with Inquisition the other night - it kicked ass and was much too short. I'm not that big of a fan of Melechesh' studio material, but I found that their riffs sounded a lot better played live.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:56 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
Caught'em live with Inquisition the other night - it kicked ass and was much too short. I'm not that big of a fan of Melechesh' studio material, but I found that their riffs sounded a lot better played live.

How was Inquisition live, I'm due to see them at the end of the month.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:00 pm 

Thanks to this thread, I decided to give 'Sphynx' another spin. I had only listened to this album once before, and that was last year when I was checking 'em out before seeing them at MDF. This is really good stuff, and I like that the Middle Eastern stylings are produced by the riffs, and not by 'ethnic' instrumentation, which I'm sick of. Not only that, but it's pretty subtle. Damn solid overall.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Middle Eastern stylings are produced by the riffs, and not by 'ethnic' instrumentation, which I'm sick of. Not only that, but it's pretty subtle. Damn solid overall.

Absolutely. Throwing in folk-ish instruments for the sake of including the 'unique!!' label gets so old and displays a lack of songwriting ability(like throwing in a saxaphone solo just to call your band jazzy). My own band incorporates Middle-Eastern stylings very influenced by Melechesh, and similarly, we'll NEVER include a stupid, traditional acoustic instrument to have some fake dynamics.

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
deathsane wrote:

oh oh, so funny!

Good to see someone recognize high quality humor when he sees it. :thumbsup:

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 pm 

Dude, fuck Al-Namrood.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 pm 

Got to see them for the 2nd time this past Halloween and they crushed my expectations. Outstanding live set, and they're very down-to-earth dudes. One of the best sounding live bands I've seen, especially with their blackened thrash style they play. Favorite albums are definitely Sphinx, Emissaries, and I'm starting to get a better grasp of Epigenesis with every listen. It's different.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:45 pm 

somefella wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:

Seen em twice, they're one of the best live bands ever.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:53 pm 

somefella wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:

You can see some feedback from them in the Tours section.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 am 

Xul is a criminally-underrated drummer if there ever was one.

Body_Hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:26 am 

One of my favourites. I'd kill to see them live.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:29 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Dude, fuck Al-Namrood.

So...not a fan, huh?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Reply to topic