Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:15 pm 

I'm also familiar with Evangelist (and I love them). Atlantean Kodex are new to me though, and I'm enjoying them mightily, although the production and the vocals sound a bit off, may I add. Meh, guess I'll get used to them with a few listens. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but thanks anyway Morphine!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:16 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wi ... _EP/355369 New EP, it's pretty good, download it!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:59 pm 

Cool stuff. I really enjoyed their newest album, hopefully this will be of the same quality.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 pm 

It's not as good, it's decent for sure, but yeah Cauldron is probably my album of the year...

I'm listening to the new Opium Warlords (Albert Witchfinder's drone project), it's pretty damn good and much better than his debut.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:04 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm listening to the new Opium Warlords (Albert Witchfinder's drone project), it's pretty damn good and much better than his debut.

We'll see about that. Live at Colonia Dignidad is a masterpiece as far as drone goes. Surprised to see how short the new album is. That's The Puritan MLP length! But really I'm just happy Hynninen is releasing some new music. It's been a long three years. :(

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:52 am 

I'm looking for a specific type of Funeral doom. Essentially, I want funeral doom that is melodic like Mournful Congregation, and psychedelic like Esoteric.
Is there such a thing? Also, minimal synths if possible.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:08 am 

This is the right thread for your request.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:09 am 

Indeed Markov, you small child.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:44 pm 

Could anyone recommend which albums to start with from Corrupted?

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:07 am 

analog_winter wrote:
Could anyone recommend which albums to start with from Corrupted?

I really like Llenandose de Gusanos as it doesn't get broken up with acoustics and breaks like El Mundo Frio does. Although it does take a long time to get started, so maybe as their full lengths go El Mundo Frio might be the best.

Splits might be a better point of entry; particularly the ones with Cripple Bastards and Machetazo.

If you want a listen that requires more patience and is more moody try El Mundo Frio. If you want something more gripping right off the bat try Paso Inferior. If both fail, try Llenandose de Gusanos.

Hope that was somewhat coherent

*edit* 666 posts, I guess I have to stop posting and stick with this.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm 

Don't do that, you're one of the best rec regulars. As for Corrupted, definitely start with Paso Inferior. El Mundo Frio is pretty impenetrable.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ViperXeon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:16 pm 

Does anyone know a good band like the German band Wheel? I love their style but I haven't hear it much elsewhere, it's kind of a mix between Traditional Doom with a bit of a folksy undertone, I like it.

Also Altar of Oblivion, I fracking love this band, got into their stuff recently. Hoping to find some more stuff in the same vein.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:33 pm 

@FleshMonolith & Necroticism174

Thanks for the Corrupted recs! I'll be sure to give Paso Inferior a listen soon.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Don't do that, you're one of the best rec regulars. As for Corrupted, definitely start with Paso Inferior. El Mundo Frio is pretty impenetrable.

Thanks dog, just happy to know I'm of some help.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:12 pm 

Paso Inferior is a very cool album, I'm also listening to some of Garten right now and it's sounding awesome too.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 pm 

So, the entirety of The Wandering Midget's upcoming album can be listened to on this http://thesoggybogofdoom.podomatic.com/ ... 7_38-07_00 starting at about 20:20 or something. It sounded pretty great, especially the second track. Pretty impressed with them and definitely looking forward to it far more than I was before, having previously only heard the opener (which I feel is probably the weakest track, haha). new Vinum Sabbatum is in there somewhere, too, but I didn't listen.

Also, new Arkham Witch is soon approaching - http://metal-on-metal.com/2976/ and you can listen to three tracks on the label's bandcamp - http://metalonmetalrecords.bandcamp.com ... f-the-deep

I just pre-ordered Arkham Witch and will do the same for The Wandering Midget (possibly that die hard with practical items, at that) as soon as it's available.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:15 pm 

I was toying with pre-ordering the Arkham Witch. I've become obsessed with The Lamp of Thoth over the past half a year or so and it's been driving me crazy how difficult both their full length and the Arkham Witch debut has become to find. I'd really prefer to get it from a US distro, but I don't know if anyone is picking it up.

I still haven't heard the first Wandering Midget LP but the demo/ep compilation gets regular spins from me. Really really weird band, but it's completely effortless and natural. Love that early material.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:43 pm 

Woops, I meant to post this in the death metal thread...

Since I can't delete it, i'm just going to move this. I didn't see that there was a death metal help thread when I first looked.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:59 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I was toying with pre-ordering the Arkham Witch. I've become obsessed with The Lamp of Thoth over the past half a year or so and it's been driving me crazy how difficult both their full length and the Arkham Witch debut has become to find. I'd really prefer to get it from a US distro, but I don't know if anyone is picking it up.

I still haven't heard the first Wandering Midget LP but the demo/ep compilation gets regular spins from me. Really really weird band, but it's completely effortless and natural. Love that early material.

~$18 shipped from Europe is honestly not that bad. I've pre-ordered shit from North America that's come out to about that before, sadly. It's shitty the situation that those two albums you mentioned are in, what with the labels that released each of them shutting down. Makes me glad that I got them when I did :x Shadow Kingdom has stocked stuff from Metal on Metal records in the past - maybe ask Tim about it on the forums or in an e-mail or something?

And I still haven't really listened to I Am the Gate much at all, though I enjoy their debut album and this new one. Especially the second track. That one sure is something.

edit: Good news, Jonpo: Tim actually just made a thread late this morning saying that Arkham Witch will be at the Shadow Kingdom store.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:59 am 

Check out this really cool no-nonsense stoner/doom band from India - Bevar Sea. They just had their album launched recently and it's brilliant. The band is quite meticulous as well when it comes to its promotional activity.

Listen here: http://store.bevarsea.com/music

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:09 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I was toying with pre-ordering the Arkham Witch.

Thank you for posting about Arkham Witch Jon. I'd never heard of them before, so I checked them out just then, and they're absolutely killer. Again, thanks a lot mate :)

Now what I actually came to post initially, was, could anyone recommend me some bands that are similar to Druid Lord and Hooded Menace? I'm looking for that slow, brooding, stalking atmospheric doom that drips with atmosphere, but still has the melodic riffs, out of key but menacing solos, heavy as hell drum production, etc

Basically occult influenced doom with melodic tendencies and an obsession for the macabre.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:11 am 

LiberXul wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
I was toying with pre-ordering the Arkham Witch.

Thank you for posting about Arkham Witch Jon. I'd never heard of them before, so I checked them out just then, and they're absolutely killer. Again, thanks a lot mate :)

I'm ignoring your actual request since I can't help with it, but do check out The Lamp of Thoth if you dig Arkham Witch. 2/3 of The Lamp of Thoth are in Arkham Witch and there's a decent bit of stylistic similarity. The Lamp are doomier, though!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:44 am 

LiberXul wrote:
could anyone recommend me some bands that are similar to Druid Lord and Hooded Menace?

Check out Solothus: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Solothus/3540335852

and The Dead: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_Dead/53531

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:21 pm 

i dont know much stuff of doom metal, so i was wondering what is the basic stuff to hear?
i'm looking something like Black Sabbath's old stuff sound.

Thanks In Advance

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:25 pm 

I wrote:
Does anyone here like Rose Kemp? I really enjoy her last two albums, Unholy Majesty and Golden Shroud. The former is sorta folkish doom/rock, while the second one is rather unconventional stoner/drone, and the woman is an amazing vocalist to boot. Oddly enough, I haven't seen any comments regarding her 'round these parts.

REALLY hate to bump my own post in such a shameless way, but I seriously believe you people should fucking listen to Rose Kemp.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:57 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:
i dont know much stuff of doom metal, so i was wondering what is the basic stuff to hear?

Thanks In Advance

Pentagram (USA) is absolutely essential for this request.

Pentagram - Forever My Queen (70s version)
Pentagram - Evil Seed
Pentagram - Broken Vows
Pentagram - Sinister
Pentagram - When the Screams Come (70s version)
Pentagram - When the Screams Come (80s version)

Other basic bands to hear: Saint Vitus, Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Trouble, Candlemass, Cathedral. A great cult band from the same era, but not as well known, is Black Hole (Italy).

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:32 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:

Many thanks Morphine. I did check out Solothus, and it is absolutely killer. I'd love to get a hold of their Horned Skull demotape, though it being independently released, I haven't been able to find a copy yet. Hopefully those tracks will be re-recorded for a full length, perhaps.

As for The Dead, I checked out their second full length and it was great, I'll have to track down a copy eventually. It didn't have as many melodies as I would have liked, but that's certainly fine. Thanks a lot for your recommendations :)

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
I'm ignoring your actual request since I can't help with it, but do check out The Lamp of Thoth if you dig Arkham Witch. 2/3 of The Lamp of Thoth are in Arkham Witch and there's a decent bit of stylistic similarity. The Lamp are doomier, though!

Thanks Solsta, I did check out Lamp Of Thoth just before your actual post, and I think that they are great. I'm definitely going to be looking into buying their stuff when I get home tonight.

And if anyone knows of some menacing melodic doom metal that sounds similar to castlevania, I'd definitely love to hear about them :)

Thanks a lot for your recs guys, if you have any more please keep them coming :)

P.S: Would anyone know where I can purchase Arkham Witch's full lengths?

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:24 am 

Unfortunately, as Jonpo was lamenting about earlier up this page, The Lamp of Thoth's material and Arkham Witch's debut is pretty hard to come by. both Miskatonic and Barbarian Wrath are closed down now. Arkham Witch's new album is coming out in less than a week on Metal on Metal Records, though. If you're in North America, Shadow Kingdom Records is going to be stocking it.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:45 am 

Ah, no worries about that Solstafir. It really isn't surprising considering how good the music actually is that it will be extremely difficult to acquire a copy of what I want. Unfortunately I'm not in America at the moment.. maybe I could contact the label and ask them to ship it to me specially? a few eBay searches don't turn up anything, so I guess I'm going to have to keep searching until then..

On the bright side, I was able to purchase a copy of Druid Lord's debut album, which is great.

Thanks for your help again guys, if you have anything similar to Lamp of Thoth, Arkham Witch, Hooded Menace or Druid Lord then please feel free to message me. I also suggest that people check out Orange Goblin if you haven't, they're fantastic.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:11 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Mechanix11 wrote:

Thanks In Advance

Pentagram (USA) is absolutely essential for this request.

Pentagram - Forever My Queen (70s version)
Pentagram - Evil Seed
Pentagram - Broken Vows
Pentagram - Sinister
Pentagram - When the Screams Come (70s version)
Pentagram - When the Screams Come (80s version)

Other basic bands to hear: Saint Vitus, Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Trouble, Candlemass, Cathedral. A great cult band from the same era, but not as well known, is Black Hole (Italy).

Thanks for the recommendations, also are there any albums to listen first or to start off?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations, also are there any albums to listen first or to start off?[/quote]

For Pentagram: First Daze Here: The Vintage Collection (for the 70s stuff), Relentless, Day of Reckoning (If I were to narrow it to one, it would be Day of Reckoning)

For Saint Vitus: Saint Vitus, Born Too Late, Mournful Cries, Die Healing (if I were to narrow it down to one, it would be Saint Vitus)

For Witchfinder General: Death Penalty, Friends of Hell

For Pagan Altar: They so far have three albums: Volume 1, Lords of Hypocrisy, and Mythical & Magical. All three are being reissued on January 8th by Shadow Kingdom Records. Volume 1 is getting a new (originally intended) title of Judgement of the Dead. I would probably start with Volume 1/Judgement of the Dead. Lords of Hypocrisy is also good. Mythical & Magical has a GREAT reputation, but I don't really like it at all. It's also the least doomy.

For Trouble: Psalm 9, The Skull, Run to the Light (if I were to narrow it down to one, I would say Psalm 9). Their self titled album has a great reputation, but it is very rare. I think it's pretty good, but even if it was readily available, I would still go with the first three I mentioned first.

For Candlemass: Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation (narrowed down to one, it would be Epicus Doomicus Metallicus)

For Cathedral: Forest of Equilibrium, The Carnival Bizarre. Forest of Equilibrium is their first album, and it is a legend of doom metal, as it took the genre to new extreme heaviness and low tempos. However, if you want a more Sabbathy experience, go with The Carnival Bizarre.

For Black Hole: The have three releases: 1) their first album, Land of Mystery. Great album, highly recommended. 2) their second album, Living Mask. Most people who've heard it seem to not like it, but I like it a lot. I think the reason it's so disliked is because of the awful programmed drums. The first time I listened to the album, I couldn't stop laughing because of them. But after more listens, I think they fit with the music great. Living Mask however is very rare. 3) Behind the Gravestone, a three disk box set of all their demos, from 1983-1986, most notably the 90 minute demo Beyond the Gravestones from 1984. Pretty cool release. But I would go with Land of Mystery first.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:21 pm 

I can't listen to Living Mask, it's just so boring. The problem is that the songs are all over the place, and there's nothing really interesting going on. Land of Mystery can get a bit scatterbrained, but the riffs and melodies are great.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:20 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
I can't listen to Living Mask, it's just so boring. The problem is that the songs are all over the place, and there's nothing really interesting going on. Land of Mystery can get a bit scatterbrained, but the riffs and melodies are great.

I get what you mean by the songs are all over the place. I but I love the spooky atmosphere of the album. Like the synth in the song Living Masks is some of my favorite keyboards ever.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 am 

On paper, I should love it. It has a lot of the same elements that made Land of Mystery so good. The church organs, the strange vocals, the gothic atmosphere, but it just falls flat for me.

You just can't beat Italian doom. Nobody seems to nail the atmosphere like them. Paul Chain, Black Hole, The Black, all great stuff. I really should try to dig up more Italian doom bands that draw on 70's prog. Goes together like butter on bread!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:36 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
On paper, I should love it. It has a lot of the same elements that made Land of Mystery so good. The church organs, the strange vocals, the gothic atmosphere, but it just falls flat for me.

You just can't beat Italian doom. Nobody seems to nail the atmosphere like them. Paul Chain, Black Hole, The Black, all great stuff. I really should try to dig up more Italian doom bands that draw on 70's prog. Goes together like butter on bread!

Have you heard of Antonius Rex? Mostly they're an Italian prog rock band, but their first album, Neque Semper Arcum Tendit Rex from 1974 is doom metal. You'd probably like it if you like Black Hole. TONS of church organ and creepy piano, and have trad doom riffs.

A couple of modern Italian doom bands I like are Abysmal Grief (again, lots of organ), and Black Oath.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:07 am 

Does Antonius Rex have any traditional vocals? The tracked I checked out just had the guy speaking Latin or whatever over some cool organ.

Abysmal Grief were right up my alley. God damn Black Widow releases, they're never cheap.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:14 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
Does Antonius Rex have any traditional vocals? The tracked I checked out just had the guy speaking Latin or whatever over some cool organ.

The vocals you heard are the only kind of vocals you'll hear.

Glad you liked Abysmal Grief.

And you're right about Black Widow. :D shadowkingdomrecords.com has Black Widow releases, usually $16 USD plus shipping.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm 

LiberXul wrote:
Unfortunately I'm not in America at the moment.. maybe I could contact the label and ask them to ship it to me specially?

Yeah, you can [pre-]order it directly from the label's store. Here's a link: http://metal-on-metal.com/shop/#!/~/pro ... ry=2707104

Save two euros if you order it before the 6th, too!

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:39 am 

Yesterday, when I checked Shadow Jewdom for Abysmal Grief, they had the debut in stock. Today, I go to make an order and it's sold out. Fuck me.

Ended up ordering The Black - Golgotha, the second Jacula album and Pagan Altar's debut.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:52 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
Yesterday, when I checked Shadow Jewdom for Abysmal Grief, they had the debut in stock. Today, I go to make an order and it's sold out. Fuck me.

Ended up ordering The Black - Golgotha, the second Jacula album and Pagan Altar's debut.

Oh well, lol. The Pagan Altar album is definitely a worthwhile purchase.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 133  Next