Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Marlon955
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:41 am 

Favorite depressive black metal band?

Forbinator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:30 am 

I suggest editing your post to elaborate a bit more, or give your opinion.

Anyway, it's hard to say. I find that the best DBM bands are the ones that don't focus 100% on being depressive, like Nyktalgia, Forgotten Tomb and Krohm. For them, structure is as important as mood. Having said that, the music of Silencer is amazingly powerful, while seeming to focus almost entirely on depressive elements.

Additionally, artists like Leviathan and Baptism manage to have some extremely mournful guitar lines, without being depressive at all.

TheEerieCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:48 am 

I don't believe in that term. But Shining rules.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:23 am 

I would say Anti. Or Nyktalgia.

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:26 am 

I'd have to go with Austere... or anything that involves Tim... yes, call me a fanboy all you will, but nothing beats his screems... shivers everytime :)

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 am 

My fav is Nocturnal Depression. I love everything they have done so far. I like the doomy riffs they use sometimes. Austere is pretty cool too except for the really boring and prolonged outros on each album. I tend to like more post-rock/shoegaze influenced bands like Woods of Desolation, An Autumn for Crippled Children, Heretoir etc

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 am 

The term is shakey at best.

As far as I know, a lot of metal bands manage to reach this somewhat "depressive" vibe to their music and most of them actually have no connection to DSBM whatsoever.

Bands dutifully associated with this "genre" always seemed a bit cheesy and stupid to me. But anyways, there's always exceptions. My choices would be Forgotten Woods and Nyktalgia.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:29 am 

Bethlehem by far.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 am 

I just call it black metal, but Shining, Forgotten Tomb, and Lifelover are good. Xasthur isn't bad, but shit does the awful production ruin it.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 pm 

I swear there's a DSBM thread every ten minutes here...

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:18 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
I swear there's a DSBM thread every ten minutes here...

Also most topics won't do without someone namedropping Agalloch at least once. :-P
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 pm 

When it comes to dsbm for me, usually the sappier the better. Subtlety? Throw that shit out of the window. I want to hear those big weepy melodic riffs and some dude screamings his lungs out about misery and pain.
With that said, I like Austere, Gris, Be Persecuted, Lifelover, Totalselfhatred and some Forgotten Tomb.
I also like Bethlehem, Woods of Infinity and Dolorian, but I'm not sure about including them in the dsbm tag

Last edited by Marag on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:55 pm 

Imperium Dekadenz and Totalselfhatred. I don't really listen to too much DSBM to be honest, so I don't have a monopoly of bands that I listen to.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:18 pm 

They're jut classified as Black Metal on here, but I'm gonna have to go with Gris and Sombres Forets, they're both insane.
I'll throw Austere in the mix as well, just because Tim's screams are amazing.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:25 pm 

Silencer probably, Death - Pierce Me is one of my favorite black metal albums of all time.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Mythics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:46 pm 

Nobody mentioned Trist thus far? :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHgiRWZpC48

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:00 pm 

Mythics wrote:
Nobody mentioned Trist thus far? :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHgiRWZpC48

never heard of it :oh shit:

nah, but like I said, I'm not that into DSBM

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

terrordread
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:22 pm 

Noenum, for sure! Black Esoteric Evangelium is my favorite black metal recording (EP, sadly) of all time. The band has only released 8 songs over the span of ~10 years, but they're all great. I also really like Silencer, Shining, and most of the other bands people have mentioned here.

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:02 pm 

Hmm hard to narrow it down really but favourites would have to be:

Xasthur- my joint favourite band (with Anaal Nathrakh). Absolutely everything Malefic has done is incredible (with the exception of 'Portal of Sorrow').
Lifelover - one of my favourite bands of all time. B was an incredible composer and I love Kim's vocals.
Hypothermia - one of the darkest most harrowing bands I've heard. One again Kim's vocals have a lot to do with it.
Forgotten Tomb - first three albums for me are some of the best dsbm/doom I've heard.
Nocturnal Depression - one of the most consistent dsbm bands. Love their funeral paced approach (for the most part anyway).

Others that I love but wish they had more releases (I get funny when there is a small discography):
Lyrinx - Nihilistic Purity is an incredible EP as is the two splits they did.
Life is Pain - only did one EP but it is beautiful.
Totalselfhatred - only two full lengths but show the ability to become an incredible band.
Austere - wish they hadn't broke up. It is ashame they only did 2 full lengths and 2 splits.
An Autumn for Crippled Children - loved their first two bands not too sure on the most recent.

Wow didn't realise this post would be so long.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:28 am 

terrordread wrote:
Noenum, for sure! Black Esoteric Evangelium is my favorite black metal recording (EP, sadly) of all time. The band has only released 8 songs over the span of ~10 years, but they're all great.

Aye! Very rarely i see anyone mention this band, its a shame because Black Esoteric Evangelium is magnificent record, one of my all time favorites too.

Other good bands:
Arkha Sva (Not all deppressive stuff but very sorrowful melodies and painful vocals, Black Stench splits the best recording)
Abyssic Hate (Suicidal Emotions, especially)
Endless Dismal Moan (R.I.P. Takuya Tsutsui)

There are some other bands (Forgotten Tomb, Nyktalgia, Xasthur) which have couple good songs but overall the whole DSBM is the only sub-genre in Black Metal I despise more or less. Shining, Hypothermia, Trist, Happy Days, et cetera, all contrived and pure shit for me. Silencer could be good but damn those vocals are annoying.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 am 

Noenum isn't too bad I suppose. Certainly better than the average self-pity grey metal band, and especially better than the histrionic retardity of Woods of Desolation and worse bands. Nyktalgia deserves a mention for having actual riffs rather than being solely driven by chord progressions and shitty vocals.

Elimi has some elements that could be considered influences of DSBM, although they're hardly a full-blown DSBM band. They could be described as something like Shining, except with riffs and quality songwriting, rather just annoying gimmicky crap.

Boozie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:55 am 

Carpathian Forest is the best B.D. ... oh... you're talking about D.S.B.M., not...

I like Thy Light very much imo. Shining is also great. Well these two are the only ones I know quite well so yeah.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:35 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
Bethlehem by far.

This. I was thinking of this band a while ago. What stood out in this band, for me, was the tortured vocals.

Not sure if MA defines Bethlehem as DSBM though. More like Dark Metal, according to the site.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:33 pm 

shouvince wrote:
The_Erlking wrote:
Bethlehem by far.

This. I was thinking of this band a while ago. What stood out in this band, for me, was the tortured vocals.

Not sure if MA defines Bethlehem as DSBM though. More like Dark Metal, according to the site.

Their second and third are up the DSBM alley. Their first album leans closer to death doom metal though.

Spoiler: show
Also, if there's any made up genre here, it's "dark metal".

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:36 pm 

I don't know much of this genre and the ones I do know, I don't like at all.

However the debut demo of SORTILEGIA is kicking my ass right now!!!

They are pretty similar to MARE, BLACK MAJESTY, ..., but perhaps not really depressive, I don't know.

HackTheRipper666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 pm 

I'd have to say Coldworld... or Xasthur

Mangled_Disgust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:07 pm 

Spoiler: show
Ilwhyan wrote:
Noenum isn't too bad I suppose. Certainly better than the average self-pity grey metal band, and especially better than the histrionic retardity of Woods of Desolation and worse bands. Nyktalgia deserves a mention for having actual riffs rather than being solely driven by chord progressions and shitty vocals.

Elimi has some elements that could be considered influences of DSBM, although they're hardly a full-blown DSBM band. They could be described as something like Shining, except with riffs and quality songwriting, rather just annoying gimmicky crap.

I actually am shopping this 10" by Noenum around. Prefer to trade for some older death metal vinyl. :metal:

Last edited by Zodijackyl on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did you really just bump a thread from last year to say you're selling something?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:20 pm 

Mangled_Disgust wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

I actually am shopping this 10" by Noenum around. Prefer to trade for some older death metal vinyl. :metal:

Please don't bump old threads just to advertise stuff that you're selling that's only remotely related to the thread topic. :(

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.