Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:23 pm 

Has anyone heard the new album yet? It's pretty good. It's a lot different than what they've done before. Black metal, Punk, Thrash, and Maiden influences. It's really aggressive and heavy, these guys seem to be having fun again. The rest of the tracks have vibes that harken back to Cruelty and Dusk as well; tracks such as The Aborrent,Illicitus, and Pallid Reflection. The tracks Huge Oynx Wings Behing Despair and Succumb To This, pummel you with speeds that Cradle haven't reached before.
Here's the tracks they've released if you haven't heard them already:

For Your Vulgar Delectation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plW8IMgyaZE

Manticore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGxF0eDNWwQ

Frost On Her Pillow Music Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEveLKqqfxI

What do you guys think? I think they will gather new fans for this album as well...

Last edited by VampireofTheNazereth on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:40 pm 

Maybe it's because I haven't listened to Cradle Of Filth with any sincerity in a long time but this doesn't sound new or refreshing it just sounds like the same old Cradle at least to me it does anyways.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:44 pm 

The album is pretty short, thank god because the last few albums were a bit too long.
They've definitely been able to fit changes in their songs within a 4-5 minute time frame, which threw me off at first since I am used to 6-7 min long Cradle tracks.

The album was done as a three piece pretty much this time around. Martin, their godly drummer, handled orchestrations this time around too.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:26 pm 

I just can't like their newer stuff at all, the music bores me to death and Dani Filth sounds like a woman with a low voice screaming. . . I checked out a few songs from this album and it was just horrible.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:36 pm 

I have only listened to the first song that came out early (For Your Vulgar Delectation or some shit like that) and actually liked the thrashiness. Think I'll check it out.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 pm 

The guitar work on this album is probably the best they've had ever. I am pretty impressed by it.
The album already leaked, but that's up to you.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:02 pm 

I've enjoyed the direction this band has been going ever since Nymphetamine (thought I haven't heard Thornography yet).

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:54 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
I've enjoyed the direction this band has been going ever since Nymphetamine (thought I haven't heard Thornography yet).

Really? It's probably their most watered-down album ever, however I think it still is a good album because it's different. Dani's attempt to singing was cool.

Of course after people complained about their direction, they decided to "do it for the fans" and released Godspeed on The Devil's Thunder in which fans are still disappointed because it doesn't sound like old-cradle somehow.....Geeze. I loved Godspeed and Darkly, Darkly Venus Aversa.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 pm 

ehh not really intersted. listening to the samples it seems rather dull.

Still like Cruelty and the Beast out of everything they have ever done.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
ehh not really intersted. listening to the samples it seems rather dull.

Still like Cruelty and the Beast out of everything they have ever done.

I still love Cruelty and Dusk.

That's the joy of already having those albums done though, isn't it?

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:16 am 

I parted with the Cradle a long time ago. I don't plan on ever going back.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:43 pm 

I couldn't even make it through the song in the first link. I like everything up through Midian but lost touch with them after that. Pretty much everything they've done since then just seems weak and uninteresting, or at least the songs I've checked out seem that way.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 pm 

If I had a dime for every time Dani said "Libertine" or "Philistine" in CoF songs...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:38 am 

The new songs dont sound bat at all, mainly the second one which is slower and has this interesting violin. Anyway my expectations are a little bit lower with your description and this thrash influence.

The last two albums were excellent, bringing back some darkness, speed and symphonic arrangements and chorus(this one in Goodspeed). But I am afraid that the new album will be a little bit dull in these aspects. Anyway I have to check it out.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:36 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
The new songs dont sound bat at all, mainly the second one which is slower and has this interesting violin. Anyway my expectations are a little bit lower with your description and this thrash influence.

The last two albums were excellent, bringing back some darkness, speed and symphonic arrangements and chorus(this one in Goodspeed). But I am afraid that the new album will be a little bit dull in these aspects. Anyway I have to check it out.

They definitely haven't let up on the speed or orchestration. At times this album is actually faster and heavier than what they've done on Godspeed and DDVA surprisingly. The drumming on the album is phenomenal! Martin steps up behind the kit once more with many more techniques, which makes this album very interesting and fun to listen too. He deserves the title of Drum God by now. Paul's guitar work is at it's best on this album.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:29 am 

I like how this album sounds, going by the sample songs in the OP! It really does seem like they are having fun again, while having a vision of what they want to do. The riffs and the guitarwork in general sound good, Dani's lows are pretty good (and he alters his voice, which is interesting - for the good and the bad) and the drumming is great.. It does have a more thrashy/punky vibe going on at times, while remaining speedy/relatively extreme like their past two albums. It combines pretty much everything I have liked about Cradle, without the overly commercial leanings ála 2001-2007~. I like it, really.

So yeah, it's nice to see CoF making music I like again, really, as they are one of the first 'extreme' bands I started listening to, like a decade ago. Everything up until Cruelty was fantastic, Midian was decent, but then they lost me on the stuff up until Godspeed - after which they have been pumping good stuff, now for the 3rd album in a row.

I'll check the full album out!

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:41 am 

Deviante wrote:

So yeah, it's nice to see CoF making music I like again, really, as they are one of the first 'extreme' bands I started listening to, like a decade ago. Everything up until Cruelty was fantastic, Midian was decent, but then they lost me on the stuff up until Godspeed - after which they have been pumping good stuff, now for the 3rd album in a row.

I'll check the full album out!

Glad someone else thinks Midian is just "decent". Everytime I tell people Midian is not that good, they freak out on me. They act like it's the pinnacle of Cradle albums. Dusk and Cruelty would be the Pinnacle for me. Godspeed and Darkly, Darkly have got them back on track. This album is still on that track as well.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:40 pm 

I've listened to the whole album now and I think it's surprisingly good. I liked Darkly, Darkly Venus Aversaas well but this is heavier and faster. My only problem is still with Dani's voice. Imagine this band with a better vocalist!

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:10 am 

VampireofTheNazereth wrote:
Glad someone else thinks Midian is just "decent". Everytime I tell people Midian is not that good, they freak out on me. They act like it's the pinnacle of Cradle albums. Dusk and Cruelty would be the Pinnacle for me. Godspeed and Darkly, Darkly have got them back on track. This album is still on that track as well.

Yeah, I think on that album their expression started to get a bit dull and overly gothic in a more cheesy way as opposed to the, well, more expressive stuff they had on the three albums (and an EP) prior. It has some good riffs and ideas and like two "classic songs", but I never really want to listen to the thing. I just go for anything between their demos and Cruelty, or Godspeed, really..

That being said, I have listened to the new album in its entirety twice now, and I must say, this might be the biggest positive surprise of the year for me altogether. Not to say I suspected CoF's ability to make another solid record after Godspeed and Darkly, but those two albums still had some issues: Godspeed was their "return to form" -album, and while better of the two, it isn't all that inspiring - or rather, daring - while packing lots of good songs. Darkly, on the other hand, just kind of blurred together for me: sure it was faster, heavier and closest to their "classic era" in a way, but the songs were kind of overlong at times, making the whole album a chore to listen to, despite the approach and the positives.

On here, however, it seems that they are not afraid to throw in all the stuff that influences them, while keeping up the progress: the songs have been cut by a few minutes each, but the approach on them seems to be pretty inspired, in that the songs do not follow certain patterns. The riffage is pretty damn good, lots of thrashier riffs, tremolo-picking, and the trad metal influences shine through nicely on some of the leads, but this time it is tasteful, because the songs and the riffs themselves are good. The drumming is really good, it is technical and varied without being wanky, the full-on blasting that is frequent is delightful, especially when accompanied with the tremolo riffage. Actually, this is also the first time I have heard Cradle being this guitar-orientated; the album is pretty fucking packed of very good riffs and there is not much riff repetation. The keys are there, but not in overabundance (which is good), and Dani alters his voice to gruffy grunting, growling and the highs too, I like it. Not a single filler song either.

I dunno dudes, I don't wanna elaborate more on a single post, but would rather write an actual review - but really, this album is pretty damn good. Color me surprised, indeed.

InvertedForest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:23 pm 

Dani Filth looks like Boy George withourt make-up.

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:57 am 

Agreed, this album is a great return to form and is easily their best album since Midian. It is a great refreshment after the stale Darkly, Darkly Venus Aversa. They're also experimenting this time around with songs like Manticore and Huge Onyx Wings Behind Despair. What I've noticed is that a lot of people seem to think that it sounds like Thornography, something I could disagree more with. The only song that sounds remotely like Thornography is Manticore and even that's a great song. I think this album takes the band back to its black metal roots that hasn't truly been heard since V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein.

I'd say my favourite track is Siding With the Titans with Frost on Her Pillow being a close second. What I like about this album is how they've brought back the atmosphere that we haven't heard from Cradle of Filth in years.

A solid 10/10 for this album, a very great job indeed!

Personally I think Cruelty and The Beast is their best album, the very atmosphere of it was dark and violent. Midian was very experimental for the band and had some of my favourite tracks, I can honestly see why people would think it's their best album as it has some of the heaviest and most brutal guitar riffs the band has ever portrayed. Songs like Cthulhu Dawn and Amor 'E' Morte are undoubtedly epic.

Last edited by LordEuronymous on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:20 pm 

I really think somewhere in the 2000s CoF became an experimental band because they really began to test and push the boundaries of "does anybody really give a fuck anymore?"

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:49 pm 

I guess I'm most definitely in the minority as I think that they've gone sharply downhill since Nymphetamine, never to return.
I actually listened to majority of the album now and I still can't get past those shrieking womanish vocals.

EDIT: I will admit, though, that the music itself sounds more inspired than it has in years.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:15 am 

He hasn't shrieked like a "woman" for years actually, his vocals have deteriorated increasingly over the years. I'm amazed that he managed to keep them for so long.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:54 am 

Yeah his voice has matured (most noticeably on Godspeed) to where he sounds more masculine than album before where he sounded like a woman. When I first got into the band I thought Dani was a woman.lol

His vocals now are more menacing and ferocious than they've ever been.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:38 am 

This album is actually way better than expected, the music is luckily distracting enough to keep me from getting annoyed by the vocals.

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:54 am 

His vocals now are more menacing and ferocious than they've ever been.

Did you even see the most recent concert? It was completely awful compared to the older concerts, his vocals where most menacing in their death metal days.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:32 am 

I am truly happy with this album. Its fast and heavy as hell, the drums are absolutely insane, the guitar work is excellent (though I am not a fan of this heavy/thrash oriented riffing) and Danni’s vocal work is quite decent and varied.

The symphonic/key arrangements are quite good, but unfortunately there is not so much to listen which is really a pity taking into account the excellent work that the band did in the last two albums, I excepted to listen to more symphonies and choirs(like in Godspeed), it’s the only mistake of this album. Anyway, when they appear the arrangements are quite good.

About Danni’s vocals it’s not a surprise to see how his vocals have lost quality and strength through the years. Hey boys, his vocals(in the studio and alive) were totally inhuman and insane, every time I see an old video I think how he was capable of singing like that during a whole concert, it was simply amazing.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:39 am 

This album was mediocre. At least Danni isn't trying to shriek anymore, but the alternative he's chosen is mostly terrible.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic