* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:27 pm 

CoF wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Nocturnal fucking Graves are better than 99% of bands in this thread.

Just listened to some of their songs, and while I do not exactly agree with the latter part of your posting, I must admit this is killer stuff.

For the genre, it's hard to get much better. Riffs!

Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:29 pm 

Disembowelment, Theregothen, Frightmare, Impetigo, Blacklist, Icon, Deteriorate, Baphomet, Phantasm, Morta Skuld, Demolition Hammer, Dark Angel, Crimson Glory, Infernal Majesty, Ripping Corpse, Viogression,.....for me the list goes on. Oh and who could forget the mighty Morbid Saint?

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 pm 

Oh I totally forgot about Phantasm, great band!

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:55 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Veracs wrote:
They're average run of the mill black/thrash with no redeemable qualities, which is a shame considering they come from the same place as Bestial Warlust and Destroyer 666.

Really? Defiance was better you think?

Not a shame in any way. Satan's Cross continues the tradition of savage Aussie metal, had great riffage all over the place! I'd put it next to Cruel Force and Ketzer releases which are pretty much the best in recent times.

In particular, I mean Unchain the Wolves and Violence is the prince of this world.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:54 am 

Veracs wrote:
In particular, I mean Unchain the Wolves and Violence is the prince of this world.

Well Unchain The Wolves is metal perfection, and is one of the best albums ever. Untouchable.

maksalaatikko
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:28 pm 

Dissection... I wish I had seen them live in the 90's. Also Amoral, though it has not technically speaking split up, not just yet, but for me, and for many others, Amoral came to an end somewhere between 2007 and 2009.

Endmill
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:13 pm 

reven wrote:
Wormphlegm definitely, if they hadn't split up there would be no stopping them I bet.

They split up way too early!

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:41 am 

I'll add in Catharsis from Belgium. Did one demo in 1995 and disappeared after that but it's some damn fine death/thrash:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Catharsis/Souvenirs_of_a_Past_Existence/270664

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:21 am 

STORMM wrote:
I will also add Lykathea Aflame, 1 release (before name change) and 19 reviews on this very site with an average score of 96%, enough said.

Lykathea Aflame haven't really split up. They're in a sort of limbo right now - from what I understand the material for another album is almost, if not wholly completely written, and they're just running into problems with recording it or something like that.

I'll throw Jenovavirus's name out here - a great, obscure Japanese BDM band who released a great six-song demo full of weird vocals and catchy slams, and then disappeared completely for some reason. :(

We should make a "Bands that didn't end soon enough" thread - I bet that'd be amusing. :lol:

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:06 am 

The death/thrash band Devastation released three albums, the later two of which are extremely good, and then split up. Would have been nice to get a couple more out of them. Gammacide's first album is a favorite of mine, and it sucks that they only released one album before splitting up.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:39 am 

ATROPHY!!!

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:44 am 

shouvince wrote:
Dehumanized, IMO, were pretty unique at that time in the brutaldeathmetal scene. Had they carried on, who knows...we could've gotten more epic releases like their debut.

Don't be so sure that they're dead.

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 am 

There's a few bands I wish that would have carried on:

Thorr's Hammer
Lifelover
Life is Pain
Weakling
Carpathian Forest
Make A Change... Kill Yourself
Lyrinx

It's ashame when there is so many crap bands that don't know when to stop!

War Monger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 pm 

There are HUNDREDS! :D
only a few of my favourites to mention ..
80s US Metal: Warlord, Black Knight, Chastain, Savage Grace, Tyrant's Reign,
80s european metal: Gotham City (!), Tysondog, Iron Angel, Atlain, Fact, Sortilege, Violent Force, Virtue, .. and a big ass full of awesome NWoBHM bands!
some rather new: Einsatzkommando, Chörnyj Woron
... not to mention all those bands who "ended" with changing some important band members ...

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:33 pm 

I've seen Lykathea Aflame and Appalling Spawn mentioned... but I don't think they are necessarily ended.

I hope to see a release from Lykathe soon, but I see Lykathea Aflame as a continuation of Appalling Spawn. Perhaps Lykathe will be a further continuation? I certainly hope so.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

DARKZSOU7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:20 pm 

Demilich of course.

MattDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:05 am 

3 pages and no mention of Slaughter Lord???

Forest Grave-23 (well, 24 but that one is supposed to be secret for some reason) releases in the form of hilariously limited (but amazing) splits and demos, exclusively released on cassette. Hopefully this means there'll be even more collaborative projects with Shatraug though.

Austere-They were apparently gearing up for live shows until there were some internal issues, To Lay Like Old Ashes is a masterpiece.

I agree with Nocturnal Graves splitting up too soon, although Impious Baptism is also a fantastic project headed by Jarro

Blind Illusion: Demon master NEVER happened. They broke up before The Medicine Show was recorded, what I remember hearing of Psychedelic Symphony demo was amazing.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:11 am 

Which Devastation were you referring to, thrashierthan? The one from Texas? If so I really dug their second album a lot. Almost perfect album, except maybe the guitar sound could have been beefier; other than that- "Signs of Life" pretty much devastated everything in it's path. Wasnt as into "Idolatry," or their first one though.

Blind Illusion- I think by the time their album came out, they had already been around almost 10 years, and they were falling a bit behind the times. I don't know if those guys were really "Feeling" it anymore, especially after half the lineup decamped to that godawful "alternative" band I won't mention.

I dunno; some of these bands, even though they folded after only a couple albums, you got the sense that they had already peaked, and anything they did afterwords just wasn't going to be as exciting. A lot of bands just peak after an album or two and then burn out and decline. Or, newer and more cutting edge bands pass them by. I mean, for example, a lot of people would be saying Metallica ended too early, had they broken up after Cliff Burton died. But instead, you have a lot of people wishing they DID break up after Cliff died- if you see my point.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:46 am 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
Human Fortress
The first two albums are awesome, I don't really count the third one. But only two albums is not enough.

Hasn't it occurred to you that they perhaps ran out of inspiration for the band? The fact that two well received albums are followed by a complete and utter sellout is fairly indicative of such.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:35 am 

But I thought that the radical change in style was because of the line-up changes.
Supposedly, with the return of the singer to the band, a new album, like the first two, was going to be released, but, from the band's myspace

Quote:
Dear fans, dear friends, Unfortunately Jioti Parcharidis has quit his membership in Human Fortress. Furthermore he has serious health problems, so it's not possible for him to sing any longer for Human Fortress or any other band.
For those who have read it in the press the last days, it is now confirmed.
His health has first priority and Human Fortress wishes him all the best to get well again.
It was a great pleasure for us all to work with him and produce the albums Lord of earth and heavens heir & Defenders of the crown.
At the moment we continue our work on a new album.
Already 9 tracks are finished in the old Human Fortress style you will remember from prior releases.

It's time for a new part in the history of Human Fortress.
We are searching for a new voice now!
We got an offer from a big European metal label and we would like to enter the studio next year.
Any help to find a new singer is welcome.
If there are news, we will inform you immediately on our band page which does not work at the moment.
So stay hard + stay heavy...

It's a pity, Jioti Parcharidis is really awesome and underlooked. But anyways, maybe it's premature to say that they are done, but they haven't found a singer yet.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:48 pm 

Alice In Chains
Mad Season
Pantera
God Dethroned

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm 

Pretty cool thread. Most of the bands that I wanted to list down, are already mentioned here except for...

Unmerciful. I thought they were particularly quite brutal and had a good thing going on with their debut album.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:13 am 

Lurker of Chalice (> Leviathan), Weakling, The Gault, Asunder (goddamn John Gossamer), Skaven ("Stenchcore"/Crust perfection), Burning Witch, Khanate, dISEMBOWELMENT (last 3 are some of the most crushing Doom ever, of course), Lykathea Aflame, Timeghoul (two highly different forms of true Prog-Death beauty), Assuck (best Grind EVER), Infest (the Powerviolence/HxCx one, still unmatched within that scene), His Hero Is Gone (so much better than Tragedy- Tragedy's debut is one of my favorite Crust/HxCx/Punk albums, but HHIG are just godlike), Slint (Spiderland is simply a masterpiece), & Sleep (been one of my favorite bands to smoke up to since I was 14) all definitely ended too early (shit, didn't think my list would end up being this long).

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 am 

The thread is becoming LISTS and this sucks, change that or it's gonna be locked!!!!!!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:39 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Which Devastation were you referring to, thrashierthan? The one from Texas? If so I really dug their second album a lot. Almost perfect album, except maybe the guitar sound could have been beefier; other than that- "Signs of Life" pretty much devastated everything in it's path. Wasnt as into "Idolatry," or their first one though.

That's the one, and both Idolatry and Signs Of Life destroy everything. Never listened to their first album though.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:29 am 

Nitro. Their full length O.F.R. is one of the most insanely metal albums I've ever heard.

tronics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:38 pm 

AmberSilkAmbiguity wrote:
Akercocke was making some of the most groundbreaking DM out there. It's a shame they have ended it, for now at least. Something tells me they will come back as strong as ever in the next few years, Hopefully!

Hopefully. If not, they've left us with enough good shit so I can forgive them.

Mad Season.

Edit - 1 cracker of an album, and only 1 gig (that I know of). That's my reasoning.

wouldn't want this to become a LIST god damn what would happen then? Something terrible I imagine.

PsycheDanic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 pm 

syx wrote:
There's a few bands I wish that would have carried on:

Lyrinx

Yo. Dan/Brennuvargr, the vocalist from Lyrinx, here. We've not split up; we've just been on a very long hiatus. I received news from the guitarist earlier that there is something in the pipeline - finally! There'll be an announcement later this week.

Thanks for the support! I'm glad there are still people out there wanting new music from us.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:28 pm 

Perhaps not entirely what the thread is aimed for, but the Bathory mention reminded me of Type O Negative - They may have made many albums, and had a long career, but they were far from finished when circumstance finished them. As many will agree, an incredibly haunting, beautiful, and at times humorous band.

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:49 pm 

bronxeel wrote:
Acid Bath. It would have been really interesting to see where the sound went.

Seconded for sure. Only two full-lengths from these guys, and both were amazing. Paegan Terrorism Tactics is one of my all-time favorite albums. Such a short-lived project, but they were arguably the best of the NOLA sludge/doom scene. Great band.
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:26 pm 

Well, Disembowelment was already mentioned but I just wanted to add my voice of disappointment to the heap.

And speaking of voices, Voice Of Destruction is another one that ended all too soon. Great South African band that managed to play the first examples of thrashy doom metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbLPw1_h4sI

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:34 am 

Cryptopsy.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:12 am 

xenomorph - love empyreal regimes, but think they had potential for further improvement

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:51 pm 

Rippikoulu (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Rippikoulu/18921)

Musta Seremonia is one of my favorite metal releases of all time. Just a crushingly heavy atmospheric doom/death masterpiece. It's a shame that their guitarist died a couple years after it came out and they were never able to fully recover and move on as a band. Just imagine what they could have done if they could have made a full length album.

Crucifixion (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Crucifixion/880)

their Desert of Shattered Hopes album is one of my favorite more obscure death metal albums. Not well known but this album is a great occultish style sounding death metal. Really good stuff, check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77e3h_jEPGI

how about Eructation? (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Eructation/36169)

talk about a band who ended WAY too early, as they only managed to release one demo containing a total of 3 songs spanning a jaw dropping 12 minutes! lol. anyway, the 3 songs really are great and a fun listen. all 3 songs are on youtube. here's the opening track of their demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGSqtjEV ... re=related

Vaneigens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:47 pm 

LifeDemise wrote:
Excretion, Depravity and Vinterland :(

Dutch interview with Excretion, 17 years after "Voice of harmony".

-> http://addergebroed.wordpress.com/2012/ ... laat-komt/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:50 pm 

Nidhoggr effectively ended after one demo as the mainman offed himself. A great shame, the demo is most excellent. Black metal with excellent, tastefully melancholy riffing. Perhaps something like Gorgoroth's Sorg, but more introspective and less doomy.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 pm 

Winter, Decoryah, Burial (HOL), Sacrilege (SWE), Rottrevore, Decameron (SWE), Odium (NOR), Scald, Ceremonium, Nootgrush, Buzz*oven, etc

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:24 pm 

Someone actually knows Decoryah existed? Great band I can't really pidgeonhole their sound atmospheric doom maybe, or I don't know great stuff though.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:15 pm 

So many of the late 80's South Texas death metal bands were ahead of their time, they recorded 1 (or maybe 2) demos, and split up way too early. Bands like Necrovore, Hellpreacher, Death Tripper, Blood Spill, etc.

Blood Spill is criminally underrated. To anyone who hasn't heard that demo, I encourage you to look it up, especially the opening track.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:48 pm 

I'll second Acid Bath. Rare example of a band where a key member dies and, hey, they don't reform for a cash out anyways! Any band where the members broke it up didn't "end too early". It ended at best at the right time. More often than not, it ended too late.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next