Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:17 pm 

DSBM has been a genre I've been listening to a lot lately, but at the course of hearing such really sad music, it's came for me ask something that's been placed cross my mind a lot lately. When hearing this music, it concerns a lot of negative lyrical themes such as giving up on life, self mutilation and of course suicide.

SO I've wondered for a while now; has anyone that has played this music actually taken that very step and killed themselves? Does anyone here know of an artist within depressive black metal that actually did it? I don't condone of suicide, I'm just very curious since (as I stated previously) it's been music I've been listening to a lot lately.

YsmirsBeard666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:51 am 

Yeah, there's a few. Some little demo band, can't recall the name...the singer killed himself at the end of their last demo. It was called "Month of Suicide" or something like that.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:39 am 

Worship came to mind then i realized they are funeral doom haha oops :)

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:42 am 

Here's at least one guy I found while looking through the list of dead people that's on the main database: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Molasar/45264

Honestly, though, the proportions of DSBM musicians who kill themselves probably aren't any larger than they are for the metal scene at large. I'm convinced that most DSBM puts on a show with its gloominess and solemnity, since I honestly can't see that many people with severe depression having the motivation to conquer their lethargy and write/record music.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:24 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nik ... 3540353778

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:22 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Here's at least one guy I found while looking through the list of dead people that's on the main database: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Molasar/45264

I'm convinced that most DSBM puts on a show with its gloominess and solemnity, since I honestly can't see that many people with severe depression having the motivation to conquer their lethargy and write/record music.

could'nt agree more.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:17 am 

Storm from Strid. Strid are thought of as originators of the genre.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:16 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Niktkolwiek/3540353778

That one doesn't make much sense. If he killed himself in October of 2009, why is there a release in 2012? And why does his alias "S." link to the artist profile http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/M ... ski/460180 of which documents nothing of his supposed "suicide"?

Edit: Not to mention, seeing the reports for this very matters brings up a tad bit of suspicion on the case… http://www.metal-archives.com/report/by ... /mode/page

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:14 pm 

GuardAwakening wrote:
vengefulgoat wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Niktkolwiek/3540353778

That one doesn't make much sense. If he killed himself in October of 2009, why is there a release in 2012? And why does his alias "S." link to the artist profile http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/M ... ski/460180 of which documents nothing of his supposed "suicide"?

Edit: Not to mention, seeing the reports for this very matters brings up a tad bit of suspicion on the case… http://www.metal-archives.com/report/by ... /mode/page

I read it somewhere on the net, that his 2012 was recorded before his death. Apparently a false rumour, because he posted just yesterday on facebook.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:41 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
GuardAwakening wrote:

I read it somewhere on the net, that his 2012 was recorded before his death. Apparently a false rumour, because he posted just yesterday on facebook.

He's obviously the first ever zombie DSBM musician. That's what I love about metal - we exclude no race, creed or state of decomposition.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:43 pm 

GuardAwakening wrote:
vengefulgoat wrote:

Must be since if you check out the report link I left in that reply, it seems as if the actual guy who was the only member of Niktkolwiek is trying to cover up and lie and say that that project was not his but a "friend" of his even though he named his Tumblr Niktkolwiek for a time.
All in all, let's just get back to the topic and find if there are any other DSBM artists that actually killed themselves.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:12 pm 

Reading this thread, and with this upcoming hurricane (it's already looking like it's evening here and it's only 3pm) I think I'll listen to a lot more.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:31 pm 

That whole shtick about the fake suicide brings to mind Manny from Lidande who supposedly killed himself... but then it was revealed that he never had done so.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

tek242
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:58 pm 

Chaos 9 from Endless Dismal Moan http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Endless_Dismal_Moan/34434

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:34 pm 

Nattdal, a.k.a. "B", from drug overdose. He was the founder of Lifelover. Not really a dsbm band, as it's more depressive rock. But there are little tiny bits of black metal in some songs.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:54 pm 

NJMike wrote:
Nattdal, a.k.a. "B", from drug overdose. He was the founder of Lifelover. Not really a dsbm band, as it's more depressive rock. But there are little tiny bits of black metal in some songs.

I already know of that death. But it is not a suicide so it does not belong here. As for their music, I'd say more than "tiny bits of black metal" are a part of the style of Lifelover since they were strongly under the inspiration for black metal while writing their music and are definitely identified as a black metal band most of the time.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:25 pm 

GuardAwakening wrote:
I already know of that death. But it is not a suicide so it does not belong here.

Ah, but if he took the drugs wouldn't it still be a death of his own doing? Semantics.

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 am 

I recall hearing about a Canadian DSBM band where shortly after recording their first album (or was it a demo?) the vocalist commit suicide (by hanging I think). Apparently he planned it all along and the album was like his suicide note or some shit.

I don't know the name of the band, all I know is the vocals were a mix of harsh and if I recall correctly clean and almost operatic, it's been a long time since I heard them though.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 am 

Mike_235 wrote:
I recall hearing about a Canadian DSBM band where shortly after recording their first album (or was it a demo?) the vocalist commit suicide (by hanging I think). Apparently he planned it all along and the album was like his suicide note or some shit.

I don't know the name of the band, all I know is the vocals were a mix of harsh and if I recall correctly clean and almost operatic, it's been a long time since I heard them though.

weird,let us know if ya come across the name of the band, would be keen to hear that

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:13 am 

Nidhoggr is not depressive black metal, but the sole member committed suicide some years after releasing the sole demo. One might assume the genuinely depressed and suicidal are not pathetic attention whoring glorifiers of selfpity.

Profoundemonium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:39 pm 

YsmirsBeard666 wrote:
Yeah, there's a few. Some little demo band, can't recall the name...the singer killed himself at the end of their last demo. It was called "Month of Suicide" or something like that.

You mean this?

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:43 pm 

Quote:
Melancholik hung himself during the recording of this demo.

:lol: I'm sorry, but that just makes me laugh. I wonder if the second track has music playing and then suddenly you hear this big "kerTHUNK" and "holy shit, are you okay? Oh my GOD!"

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:49 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Quote:

:lol: I'm sorry, but that just makes me laugh. I wonder if the second track has music playing and then suddenly you hear this big "kerTHUNK" and "holy shit, are you okay? Oh my GOD!"

Now this is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for when starting this thread. Good fucking lord, killed himself while recording the album? :eek: I gotta hear this thing now wonder when he actually did it in the middle of the record. Like on the very last seconds of the last track or something?

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm 

GuardAwakening wrote:
Now this is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for when starting this thread. Good fucking lord, killed himself while recording the album? :eek: I gotta hear this thing now wonder when he actually did it in the middle of the record. Like on the very last seconds of the last track or something?

ughhh I just looked and nothing of them appears to be on the Internet. Not on YouTube, no blogspots hosting downloads of their albums... NOTHING -____-

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:23 am 

I'm curious about what they sound like too, it sounds hilarious.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:56 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

If someone can seriously add a download link in here of Desolation Depression's Night of Suicide album, you would be doing us all a huge favor. Because as far as I have searched, it does not exist on the Internet.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:25 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Quote:

Roflmao; I'm sorry, but I chuckled quite so at that IRL XD

I should probably give this thing a try, too, if that happened; sounds interesting.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Profoundemonium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:37 pm 

GuardAwakening wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

If someone can seriously add a download link in here of Desolation Depression's Night of Suicide album, you would be doing us all a huge favor. Because as far as I have searched, it does not exist on the Internet.

I've been trying to find any trace of it for five years. My guess is that it doesn't really exist. I even asked in the "why was x accepted" thread a while back and the reply was something like "we must assume evidence was provided on the submission" or something like that, but no other explanation has been given anywhere as far as I know.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:42 pm 

Frozenith wrote:
I've been trying to find any trace of it for five years. My guess is that it doesn't really exist. I even asked in the "why was x accepted" thread a while back and the reply was something like "we must assume evidence was provided on the submission" or something like that, but no other explanation has been given anywhere as far as I know.

It probably really is a fake release. I mean to think a guy actually killed himself on his own album is something way too interesting to be real.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:33 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Mike_235 wrote:

weird,let us know if ya come across the name of the band, would be keen to hear that

To answer your question, you're probably making reference to the Québec band Malvery. Amer LeChâtier committed suicide right after the recording of Mortal Entrenchment In Requiem.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:29 pm 

Wombface wrote:

To answer your question, you're probably making reference to the Québec band Malvery. Amer LeChâtier committed suicide right after the recording of Mortal Entrenchment In Requiem.]

just had a listen on youtube,for some reason i assumed it would be the most sorrowful depressing music ever

HackTheRipper666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm 

Endless Dismal Moan

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 am 

I guess I'm reviving this thread in a sense because I actually just found a legit DSBM artist that did kill himself http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Impellr/58107#

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:39 am 

To be honest I find this thread just as creepy as the genre itself.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:21 am 

GuardAwakening wrote:
DSBM has been a genre I've been listening to a lot lately, but at the course of hearing such really sad music, it's came for me ask something that's been placed cross my mind a lot lately. When hearing this music, it concerns a lot of negative lyrical themes such as giving up on life, self mutilation and of course suicide.

SO I've wondered for a while now; has anyone that has played this music actually taken that very step and killed themselves? Does anyone here know of an artist within depressive black metal that actually did it? I don't condone of suicide, I'm just very curious since (as I stated previously) it's been music I've been listening to a lot lately.

Of course people who play it/listen to it have killed themselves... people who play bubblegum pop kill themselves.
It's got nothing to do with the music, it's their personality, and to think anything else is ... well retarded. Listen to Talisman and Yngwie Malmsteen... Marcel Jacob killed himself.

The fascination with dsbm is sad (and not in the "boohoo"-way), and frankly emo.

Now all you kids should go out and play some ball.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:49 pm 

depressive black metal kind of goes two ways for me, you get the bands like Hypothermia, Austere and Trist that give you kind of a sad atmosphere "which i generally prefer" then you have bands like 'black hate' where it sounds like someones getting raped in the ass for half an hour. I can see why someone would kill themselves if they felt shit enough for that to be pleasurable to listen to.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:39 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
That whole shtick about the fake suicide brings to mind Manny from Lidande who supposedly killed himself... but then it was revealed that he never had done so.

He used to e-mail me on a regular basis and send me friend requests on Facebook. He did explain to me what happened in regards to his supposed death but I forget what he said specifically. I think it was basically just a rumor started by someone during his struggles with depression.

He was a very strange person.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:33 pm 

I wonder if any video exists of that Shining show where "Ghoul" turned out to be Niklas and he ended up beating up people in the crowd.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

terrorisk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 am 

NO ONE I THINK

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:14 pm 

matras wrote:
GuardAwakening wrote:

Of course people who play it/listen to it have killed themselves... people who play bubblegum pop kill themselves.
It's got nothing to do with the music, it's their personality, and to think anything else is ... well retarded. Listen to Talisman and Yngwie Malmsteen... Marcel Jacob killed himself.

The fascination with dsbm is sad (and not in the "boohoo"-way), and frankly emo.

Now all you kids should go out and play some ball.

Agreed. It's interesting how musicians lives and projected image often go at polar opposites. Like how "west coast gangsta" Tupac studied ballet at a private school on the east coast, while fun lovin R. Kelly was a Gangster Disciple. Or how the hippie guitarist from Rush is a brutal, alcoholic thug who pushes women down the stairs in real life. I could go on.

About DSBM being "Emo", I'm inclined to agree. About all those bands are good for is ripping off the Filosofem guitar tone and shrieking like a poodle caught in a wood chipper. It takes a finely honed aesthetic sensibility to convey real romantic tragedy without descending into Kurt Cobain-style self pity, and most of those DSBM musicians are frankly too blockheaded to walk that line.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next