Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:22 pm 

Love the artwork! Not as impressed by the music itself but I don't think it's as bad as some people here argue.

Octodecillion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:54 pm 

The art is pretty sweet, but this band is fucking terrible. I don't even like brain drill and they're still 1000x better than RoS. Absolutely no substance whatsoever. This is coming from someone who loves tech death. and to whoever said RoS's first album was good and the faceless suck, GTFO.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:51 pm 

Shame such a blatant music has such a great cover art...

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:28 pm 

Octodecillion wrote:
and to whoever said RoS's first album was good and the faceless suck, GTFO.

Love you too, hun.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:20 pm 

Upon further listening of the 2012 sampler, I do agree that it sounds like they are changing up their style a bit... not so much the unique feel the debut had, but rather seems more par for the course for "technical deathcore" these days, such as Trigger the Bloodshed, After the Burial, etc... the rhythm of the very first song is the kind of thing I'm pointing to. Wouldn't be surprised if they worked in a bit of djent in the mix too... not my favorite kind of metal, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rings was able to pull it off.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:36 am 

BastardHead wrote:
It helps that I talk to MT outside of here plenty, so he's heard my rant about it before, plus I harp on it in my review for Embryonic Anomaly too. It wasn't at you directly, it just baffles me that so many people use the term "spacey" when describing RoS because that term makes me think of the exact opposite kind of sound. Surely I'm not the only person who imagines minimalist/ambient influences when I think of space and not immense technicality and kitchen-sink style songwriting?

Well sure. I would totally agree that stuff like ambient post rock with a ton of reverb would sound spacey. But I meant more of the alien, unknown, planetary aspect of space, not the infinite, lonely, vast emptiness of space. Just word confusion I guess.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:24 pm 

Back cover art revealed. Man, if you thought the front was visually impressive...

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:34 am 

They are mildly enjoyable, if not just for the crazy music they produce. I'll probably check the new album out, but I'm not expecting much.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:18 am 

Cool. I really liked Embryonic Anomaly so this one should be really good, too, or perhaps even better! Love the artwork.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:03 pm 

The more they release awesome info about this, the more I'm hoping the samples were very unrepresentative of the release.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:07 pm 

The album has leaked. Also Rings of Saturn decided to upload it themselves.

This version is the after production version unlike the pre production versions that leaked earlier today

The release of the physical album has been pushed to february because of the legal issues they are having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Pe9OD9a0Qs

I enjoy the album quite a bit what is everyone elses thoughts?

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm 

percepticide wrote:
The album has leaked. Also Rings of Saturn decided to upload it themselves.

This version is the after production version unlike the pre production versions that leaked earlier today

The release of the physical album has been pushed to february because of the legal issues they are having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Pe9OD9a0Qs

I enjoy the album quite a bit what is everyone elses thoughts?

They've change a bit, I liked the old production more, but still love it, thanks for posting.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Last edited by IntoNevermore on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:32 pm 

hahhahahaha

not going to read what is most likely a complete piss fest back and forth but as long as the majority of the album is the pinball machine sounds like :23-:39 I'd pick it up... not immediately by any means... more like on ebay for 4 bucks like that last one.

I'm usually immediately put off by this style but goddamn when the guitars sound like pinball machines i used to spend a ton of time playing at my uncle's house... I just eat it up cause it brings back those good memories.

lol @ at anyone thinking or expecting anything from this than that.

Do like the artwork though

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:57 pm 

I'm a couple songs into this, and yeah, this is far above my expectations I'm really, really digging this. Sounds a lot more deathcore-centric but that's certainly not a problem by itself. Overall it reminds me of a much djentier, more technical Suicide Silence. I'd even say this is better than the debut - sure, the weird guitar tone is gone, but the melodies feel a lot more legitimately cool and less gimmicky this time around, and BastardHead's gonna be pissed when he hears this because this actually sounds legitimately spacey as far as his definition of it goes.

Extremely excited for this now; I'll definitely be pre-ordering a copy.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:27 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
BastardHead's gonna be pissed when he hears this because this actually sounds legitimately spacey as far as his definition of it goes.

Who knows? Maybe they'll actually impress me this time. Not likely, but I'll give it a go when I get some spare time.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:46 am 

Listened to the whole thing. I was impressed. I would've like some more of the alien themes from the debut but I really liked this one.

I didn't like the overly-triggered snare drum but I'll get over that.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:10 am 

Embryonic Devourment does this style so much better, and without all the annoying and predictable deathcore tropes.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:48 am 

Embryonic Devourment and Rings of Saturn are not doing even close to the same thing. They are two different styles of tech metal.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:45 pm 

Few songs in and I have to say I'm pretty impressed except for the production on the drums. Everything else is spot on though, I'm really liking the new vocalist also.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:00 pm 

I've changed my mind, I believe I'll like this one more that their debut in a few more listens.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:35 pm 

Got a few tracks left to go, and I've got to say it reminds me more of Origin than Brain Drill, so yeah, it's an improvement. I don't hate it like I did the first album.

Also, any other nerds play Jak and Daxter? Tell me you can't unsee the Oracle in the cover art:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:12 pm 

I found the album generally enjoyable but I felt they had too much stuff that they should have expanded on. But, it is A lot better than their Debut, which I didn't like at all.

Also, on a side note. Am I the only one that hears a little bit of Foreigner's Double Vision and The Police's Message in a Bottle in the final Minute and a Half?
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:19 pm 

Ribos wrote:
The debut sounded like the death metal version of DragonForce

I always thought they sounded more like the deathcore version of Brain Drill. All in all, they're an extremely sick band and I heard the stream that they had today of the second album. They've blown up so much just within these recent months, it's amazing.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:29 pm 

They really nailed the guitar tone on this one. I think for certain that the experimental trippy parts captured a space setting really well. On the other hand, the album is also filled with a lot of typical deathcore nonsense, with only a couple really good riffs peppered throughout. Still, a huge improvement over their debut album. I'll definitely be spinning this some more because there is some plain old kick ass brutal stuff in here.

Oh, and dude, that drum production... God it's almost insulting. Lame.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:39 pm 

Nobody liked Embryonic Anomaly? I thought it was good.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:00 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

I did, I thought it was great.

Last edited by IntoNevermore on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:17 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

I love that album, I couldn't hate this band if I wanted too. Way too many fun songs

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:19 am 

I loved embryonic anomaly

DisciplineOfRevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 am 

just listened to Dingir earlier today and.. holy shit. so fucking good. a lot better than the first and i really liked the first.

Gojira84
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:19 am 

Rings of Saturn - like listening to someone masturbate. Badly.

RyffHyena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:47 pm 

When I first heard about Rings of Saturn, I asked what all the hype was about involving them, so I checked out their first album.
I could never get into them based on their first album, but once I heard Dingir I was instantly hooked.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:53 am 

DisciplineOfRevenge wrote:
just listened to Dingir earlier today and.. holy shit. so fucking good. a lot better than the first and i really liked the first.

That's exactly what I said. Every band's goal is to outdo their previous album and most of the time, they just change their sound or do something everyone doesn't like. But Dingir literally sounds like an improved version of the debut. It's their debut album on steroids.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 pm 

GuardAwakening wrote:
DisciplineOfRevenge wrote:

That's exactly what I said. Every band's goal is to outdo their previous album and most of the time, they just change their sound or do something everyone doesn't like. But Dingir literally sounds like an improved version of the debut. It's their debut album on steroids.

In would disagree. It's the difference between the two albums that made everyone like this more. I mean, they're both very technical, and they're both deathcore albums, but that's all they have in common.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:50 pm 

I checked this album out the moment they released a link through totaldeathcore, it was one of my more anticipated releases.

I gotta say I really enjoyed it. I think around a couple years ago or so, I heard Embryonic Anomalies for the first time. And I didn't like it. Too much chug, too much weird alien-sounding wank, too much stuff I don't like. I revisited it a few months however when I got into the more brutal side of tech death and I enjoyed it quite a lot. So needless to say I enjoyed this one a lot.

I only gave it one listen so I won't be giving a full review or anything but I want to make 2 comments on the drums. First, a good thing: I love his gravity blasts. He uses them a lot in bursts and he uses them without fault; it sounds like he's actually using two hands. Second, a bad thing. He uses his main drum beat waaaaaaay too much. It involves 16ths on the snare and 8ths on the hi hat, with kicks being either 16ths or 32nds. That beat is just used too much and is too repetitive.

Oh well. Good release.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:10 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
How is the band's songwriting? Do they play a riff and forget it a-la-Necrophagist, or do they manage to assemble interesting songs that revisit ideas?

Ribos wrote:
I want songs that flow, instead of just different sections of songs rammed together.

they make Necrophagist sound like Judas Preist

its all weddly widdly wooo widdly growl widdly woo

despite hearing the whole thing twice i was unable to remebr ANYTHING from their debut

i would take Brain Drill or even Beneath the Massacre over this anyday...

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:41 am 

suleiman, your post is horribly wrong in many ways but I'm frankly too tired to elaborate. I'll do so tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:04 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
suleiman, your post is horribly wrong in many ways but I'm frankly too tired to elaborate. I'll do so tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

await thy instruction, o great malignant throne

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:23 pm 

Alright, fully rested. Let's take a look at suleiman's post.
suleiman wrote:
they make Necrophagist sound like Judas Preist

Very debatable. They sound about equal in terms of technicality to me, at least, or you could argue that Necrophagist uses more of it but in a less flashy manner than Rings of Saturn.
suleiman wrote:
its all weddly widdly wooo widdly growl widdly woo

Nope. Embryonic Anomaly has a fair amount of little bits of noodling, but to say it's all that is stupid because there are plenty of "normal" riffs integrated into the music. And Dingir doesn't even have that much noodling at all - it's pretty damn riffy.
suleiman wrote:
despite hearing the whole thing twice i was unable to remebr ANYTHING from their debut

You're either exaggerating here or you have amnesia, because Embryonic Anomaly has plenty of moments that'll stick with you if you give them a chance.
suleiman wrote:
i would take Brain Drill or even Beneath the Massacre over this anyday...

That's personal preference, I guess, but you word your post as if you're implying that Beneath the Massacre are more technical than Brain Drill... :???:

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:55 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Alright, fully rested. Let's take a look at suleiman's post.
suleiman wrote:

You're either exaggerating here or you have amnesia, because Embryonic Anomaly has plenty of moments that'll stick with you if you give them a chance.

Kneel before my minions as they kneel before me?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:56 pm 

I would like this album more if it was more weedle weedle wankery. I don't feel it's enough honestly. Too much chug.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next