Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:14 pm 

Time for another one of these, right?

Same ground rules: Western comics only; no manga. Discuss anything related to comics: stories, characters, the industry, artists, writers, thoughts on things you've read, comic news, superheroes, marvel, dc, darkhorse, fantagraphics, dynamite, etc. Please keep this related to the comic book medium itself, so no comic book movies either.

[EDIT]: New rule: when reporting your thoughts on a comic or series, you must include a letter grade from F- to A+! (you don't really have to do this :P )

Things I've recently read:

Animal Man: The Morrison run. I'm a sucker for these 1/0 / Cerebus / Flex Mentallo kinds of stories about fictional characters facing the consequences of being fictional characters, so I loved it. I also love superhero's who have a more nuanced and philosophical kind of morality and ones who prefer to solve problems in ways other than brawling (if you guys know any other superhero titles like that, let me know!). Apart from that, the expansion on the mythos of various other kinds of fictional characters who's struggle in existing isn't usually considered as meaningful and presenting their struggles as genuinely dramatic within the context of their perception of reality (The Coyote) is also a brilliant method of taking otherwise typical adventures into the realm of myth making. A+

Empowered v7: (I'm calling this a comic book and not a manga since it only appropriates a manga-like art style while everything else is completely western) Great volume. As ever, the story moves at a glacial pace (ok, one other thing that is manga-like) but it is starting to pick up. It was considerate of Warren to finally answer some lingering questions that had for all intents and purposes already been answered a volume or two ago while not acknowledging the other, greater mysteries still gnawing away at our psyches (how DOES she put the suit on?). Really, thanks man! The Demonwolf has been getting a lot of face time in the last couple volumes, and his schtick was starting to get old, so surprisingly the best part of this volume was a long soliloquy from him and some unexpected characterization. It is also clever that he's been promoted to quasi-narrator in continuity due to his omnipotence. A+

Some more Groo comics: A bunch of stories, all fairly formulaic with simplistic characters and goofiness pouring out of everywhere. A+

Read some other stuff too...

Go forth!

Last edited by ~Guest 226319 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:26 pm 

Comic books have always been an interesting concept to me. As a kid, I used to really enjoy Sonic the hedgehog comics from the local comic book store, but as I have grown up I haven't been buying anything in particular. Around in a month or so, I will be working in a candy store booth right next to a the comic book store that I previously mentioned so I might check and buy some. Right now I'm into really dramatic stuff, so I could buy a graphic novel with a theme like that. I've always wanted to read Persepolis, the story of this arab descent girl. If I would buy anything right now, it would have to be something that's not too lenghty. I can't see myself buying a series with more than 100 or so volumes.

Anyway I like going to comic book conventions, wether they are indie or the big Puerto Rico Comic Con which has some international artists and stuff. Even if I don't know any of the comics that are in or whatever, I still find it pretty cool to buy stuff and get to know people. I remember once I got a free "The Shield" comic during a convention ^^

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 pm 

If you're interested in some Arabisms check out Habibi. It's like a love story (or something :-P). One volume, easy peasy. Dramatic and arty, though I had a hard time reading it. You may enjoy it better.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 am 

I think I mentioned this on the old thread, but Kingdom Come is one of my favorite graphic novels, and I'm definitely not into Superman-geared comics at all. Every cell is an oil painting, literally.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:03 am 

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Alan Moore. Oh, I'm supposed to elaborate? Fine: The premises are known well enough since the atrocious movie, a band of societal misfits with special abilities are assembled by a shady third party to investigate and avert a threat against late 19th century british empire. The first two of six books of the first volume deal with the assembling of the gentlemen lead by assigned leader Mina Murray. Kevin O'Neill's very stylized art reflects the phantastical/absurd nature of the story. It is a classical adventure tale but the outstanding part is the character developement. The protagonists meet each other with distrust and loathing at first and develop respect and appreciation of each other during their dealing with great danger - though this applies differently for each of them.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:41 pm 

You also have to give them a letter grade on the scale of F- to A+.

Been meaning to read TLOEG since I heard one of the stories has Jeeves in it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:51 pm 

http://www.blackgate.com/2012/06/14/cerebus/

There's an interesting retrospective on Cerebus, Dave Sim, and the overall worth of the series. It's really irritating how much better it would've been if Sim hadn't been such a cartoonishly vehement misogynist.

Unmaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 pm 

Best series' I'm getting atm:

Uncanny X force
Secret avengers (rick remender yesssss)
Rocketeer cargo of doom (hilarity abounds)
Conan (beautiful art and excellent prose from wood, looking forward to his forthcoming star wars series)
Dark avengers - hoping this survives marvel now, although thunderbolts is getting a new creative team and looks shit
Animal Man
Swamp thing- looking forward to the crossover rotworld
Action comics- morrison's superman is always good, sucks that he's leaving after 16.
Batwoman - J.H.williams art is superb
Batman- fun stuff from snyder/capullo, but hoping to avoid buying most of the tie ins in the upcoming death of the family crossover
Wonder Woman - amazing run so far, and just about to reintroduce Kirby's new gods to the DCU .... 'nuff said.'

There's probably more great stuff I'm forgetting, also tons of good looking series coming out of Marvels 'new 52' thing Marvel Now.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
You also have to give them a letter grade on the scale of F- to A+.

Been meaning to read TLOEG since I heard one of the stories has Jeeves in it.

Since it's an Alan Moore classic, I'll gladly give it A+
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:22 am 

any fans of Matt Wagner's Grendel saga here? I think the only thing that's made an equal impact on me was "the invisibles".

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Unmaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:57 am 

I 'procured' the complete grendel saga having enjoyed a lot of wagner's other stuff, but reading it from the beginning, it struck me as quite immature. Which is not to say that as a whole it's immature, since I never got very far at all. Which are best arcs/ collections/stories would you say? I really enjoyed the batman stories wagner did set in the infancy of batman's career 'the monster men' and 'the mad monk' and trinity is also really endearing.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 am 

inhumanist wrote:
The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Alan Moore. Oh, I'm supposed to elaborate? Fine: The premises are known well enough since the atrocious movie, a band of societal misfits with special abilities are assembled by a shady third party to investigate and avert a threat against late 19th century british empire. The first two of six books of the first volume deal with the assembling of the gentlemen lead by assigned leader Mina Murray. Kevin O'Neill's very stylized art reflects the phantastical/absurd nature of the story. It is a classical adventure tale but the outstanding part is the character developement. The protagonists meet each other with distrust and loathing at first and develop respect and appreciation of each other during their dealing with great danger - though this applies differently for each of them.

I'm working through this series too at the moment-- finally got over the revulsion the film instilled in me. I just finished Black Dossier. I am enjoying how much the series has pretty much turned into an attempt at combining ALL of the fiction into one universe. Trying to spot all the literary references is lots of fun, and re-reading it with the annotations is a joy. I will also love the fact that there's a Jeeves and Wooster/Lovecraft crossover forever. The idea that there have been other leagues in other time periods is really cool too (I hope this isn't a spoiler for anyone. It's very strongly implied in V1 so I'm hoping it was obvious enough not to count.)

It's good overall but for me it's somewhat flawed and not one of Moore's strongest efforts. A lot of the walls of text are quite tedious to get through, in particular the travelogue at the back of V2 gets dull sometimes. Stuff like the beat literature imitation/parody and so forth can tend to drag as well. Even Allan and the Sundered Veil go old fast, despite my massive excitement when Randolph Carter first showed up. The actual comic sections are good but for me they tend to lack the subtlety and profound themes and commentary of a lot of Moore's other stuff. I guess there's a good deal of personal redemption stories, some light commentary on the flexibility of societal attitudes and how societies develop and change, small critiques of society (veiled behind the ironically uncritical presentation of various social prejudices), but it never really feels like there's much of a grander or overall message. It feels more like a romp and a lit nerd's wet dream, it's a hell of a lot of fun to read, but never really touches me in the same way as some of the better Swamp Thing stories for example, or any of his more famous single-volume works do. I guess if I had to grade it I'd give it a B and a "good, but I know you can do better".

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:15 pm 

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was decent, but I wouldn't say it was more. For me it was an entertaining read but not something I've ever felt the urge to re-read. Ultimately it's rather shallow, as opposed to similar "combine everything into one huge universe" comics like Sandman.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 pm 

Unmaker wrote:
I 'procured' the complete grendel saga having enjoyed a lot of wagner's other stuff, but reading it from the beginning, it struck me as quite immature. Which is not to say that as a whole it's immature, since I never got very far at all. Which are best arcs/ collections/stories would you say? I really enjoyed the batman stories wagner did set in the infancy of batman's career 'the monster men' and 'the mad monk' and trinity is also really endearing.

"devil and the deed", the first one, is somewhat immature as it was written when he was quite young. It gets much, much better as it goes along. the best are the short story collections "red,white,black" and "black,white,red". The "warchild" arc is really good too, as are the 2 batman crossovers.

The whole saga starts off as a quite simple story about a character who is very much the "Anti batman", but as it goes along it becomes about the way in which the "grendel persona" posesses and influences individuals and ultimately society as a whole. It get's pretty sinister in the way it starts off presenting the protagonists as quite seductive but the more you see of them they are only motivated by a need to dominate and destroy. it's really about the seductive (but ultimately empty) nature of aggression and evil.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:19 pm 

I've been getting into comics quite a bit recently, largely because of my irrational love for all things Batman-related. However, my favorite current comics are actually not Batman-related, for the most part:

Punk Rock Jesus - This totally feels like a manga or anime storyline in all the right ways. There's a rather punk sensibility to its dystopian caricatures of contemporary American problems such as corporatism and the rise of the religious right. As a limited-run, it can't be fully evaluated until its run is finished but it's off to a very promising start in the first half. Highly recommended! [A]

Journey into Mystery - Kieron Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery is some of the best writing in comics that I've ever seen. He's probably the only writer that I would compare to Neil Gaiman; there's undoubtedly a major Sandman influence in JiM under Gillen. It's particularly important because it adds a lot of depth to Loki, who in the past has often been a fairly standard maniacal villain. I really consider this a must-read for comics fans. [A+]

Danger Club - This is a sometimes humorous, sometimes gritty commentary on superheroes and their sidekicks. The plot begins with the sidekicks of this universe left alone after the disappearance of all their superheroic mentors. This comic shows the damage that irresponsibility might cause, starting with a depiction of a Lord of the Flies-esque descent into chaos among the sidekicks. The art is great but sometimes I feel that the tone doesn't match the content. Still, one of the best titles currently running. [B+]

Dial H - Here's a title with a strong sense of humor for those with a taste for the ridiculous. This title offers nothing but a good time and a heaping helping of the bizarre. This feels special because it recognizes the intrinsic strangeness of the superhero concept and exaggerates it. Highly recommended! [A-]

Demon Knights - As a fan of Arthurian mythology and Gaiman-esque dark fantasy, this series hits the proverbial spot. The story feels like "Dungeons and Dragons: The Comic," but for those with a taste in high fantasy and pulp action, it doesn't get much more colorful and exciting than this. Granted, the characters and plot could benefit from a little more depth but the sheer wealth of ideas, mythology, action, and fast-paced plotting makes this a rather fun ride. A little bit more of a niche book and, if you're not a fan of fantasy, you may not get as much out of it. [B-]

Of course, I've also been very impressed with a number of Bat-books in the New 52, particularly Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman: Incorporated, and Batgirl, but I don't want to bore you with my fanboyish opinions of those...

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 am 

Has anyone here read Orcstain by James Stokoe? The first trade is out and the art is stunning. The comic is about a fantastical, often bizarre world inhabited mostly by orcs and the violent, if comical they get up to because of it. The plot itself is not anything special; a powerful warlord is searching for a special orc who can crack any safe, adventure ensues, etc.
Anyone looking for something fantastical, but a bit different to cape comics might enjoy it.

http://orcstain.wordpress.com/

Unmaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:43 am 

Stokoe's art is awesome, his currently ongoing series from IDW Godzilla: Half Century War is a little bit tidier imo and though only 2 issues in is definitely worth checking out. Also he did a swell poster design for Trollhunters

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:41 am 

Been interested in Godzilla comics for a while. Know any good ones?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:56 am 

Thanks for mentioning Orc Stain, Balor. Forgot about that. After I finally read Akira, that and Blacksad will probably be the next stops on my rarely-traveled comic book road. Browsing the Image site, I happened across Point of Impact, which looks to be pretty damn neat as well.

EDIT: Fuck it, just ordered all of them ;) It's my birthday in a week, gotta treat myself. Now for some bourbon and scotch...

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 am 

Hope you like it!

Two other recommendations: 2000AD's the ABC Warriors: The Black Hole and Slaine: The Horned God. Both with art by Simon Bisley in his prime, the likes of which you'll rarely see in comics, especially with Slaine's fully painted panels. Again, far removed from cape comics of America, ABC warriors is a mad sci-fi read mixed with the occult (Pat Mills and one of his mates was big into it at the time), and Slaine is a combo of Celtic myth and fantasy elements. Again, the art is astounding in these.

http://simonbisleygallery.com/?bisley=h ... 141&cara=1

Anubis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm 

I second Dial H (A). A lot of fun, really well put together story.

I picked up the first issue of Happy (A) too, which was good. I'm a huge Morrison fan and love Robertson as well, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Aside from that, any of Hickman's creator owned stuff (Transhuman, Manhattan Projects, Red Wing, Pax Romana etc.) is gold (A+ material).

The Invisibles is mandatory for me, as well as Flex Mentallo and The Filth. They're all meditations on a similar idea, which I whole heartedly subscribe to.

Monthlies:

Black Kiss 2 (B-)
Animal Man/Swamp Thing (A)
Batman (A+)
Prophet (A++++++) READ PROPHET

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 pm 

The Filth was a lot better than The Invisibles for my money. The Invisibles was really ambitious, and I really dig the initial idea (Lovecraftian Old Ones vs. rag-tag team of psychics, sorcerers, terrorists, etc.) as well as the initial execution - the aesthetic of the villains is just perfect, spewing cancerous nanotechnology and nightmares. The problem is it gets way up its own ass with how awesome the main characters are, especially King Mob, to the point where it gets really really tiresome. He's just so absurdly tough that the bad guys never seem like enough of a threat; it'd have been way better with a darker, more desperate tone to the heroes' struggle. The last volume especially just gets kind of stupid and is a disappointment. Really that's a difficult riddle when attempting to write anything about Lovecraftian elder gods with a happy ending; their entire aesthetic is based around being unfathomable as well as just plain unimaginably powerful, so having heroes defeat them in a fair fight just craps all over that. Usually the way around it is to have the heroes defeat the elder gods' mortal servants, but in The Invisibles the mortal servants are generally total pushovers. Also it's really bad with having traps within traps within traps, where it makes it look like the heroes are walking into a trap, only for the heroes to only be pretending to get caught because they knew about it all along and then they counter-trap the bad guys. Anyway yeah, lot of potential that wasn't ultimately lived up to, though there's still quite a lot to like about it.

The Filth on the other hand sticks much closer to its bizarre premise, never gets too pretentious, and is a lot more original. Definitely better all around.

Anubis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 pm 

To each their own, but I think the reason that The Invisibles seems like such a radical shift is because on one hand, he didn't have an ultra-firm grasp on what he was doing in the first arc or two, and really embraces his more experimental ideas as he gets into the tail end of Lord Fanny's background and the stories following.

As to the cronies not meaning much, I think that was the point. By the end, for that matter by the middle, the whole notion of "enemy" is thrown out the window as all things take their course that was inevitable to begin with. By the time the last arc and final issues come into play, the feeling is more that the world was always headed the way it went, no matter what anyone did. The character arcs are more things of comfort than anything, ways to cope with the end none of them can avoid.

With the forgiving of Quimper and the overall unification of Jack Frost and King Mob's characters, the "fight" disappears altogether.

That said, that clearly was not his intention to begin with. If you were to read the first two trades (for the most part), you wouldn't be remiss in saying it seems like an intensified Doom Patrol. I think he didn't really embrace what he was doing until later, which is probably why DC insisted in Blood Hell in America functioning as a mid-way jump-on point.

Unmaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:29 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Hope you like it!

Two other recommendations: 2000AD's the ABC Warriors: The Black Hole and Slaine: The Horned God. Both with art by Simon Bisley in his prime, the likes of which you'll rarely see in comics, especially with Slaine's fully painted panels. Again, far removed from cape comics of America, ABC warriors is a mad sci-fi read mixed with the occult (Pat Mills and one of his mates was big into it at the time), and Slaine is a combo of Celtic myth and fantasy elements. Again, the art is astounding in these.

http://simonbisleygallery.com/?bisley=h ... 141&cara=1

I'll have a look at abc warriors when I get time, sounds like a good combination of genres. I recently picked up an oversize edition of batman/dredd judgement on gotham, with art by bisley, great stuff. I've also found his lobo hilarious but really need to re-read that one. I know all the dredd/batman series are getting collected in december in oversized hardcover, as soon as I heard that I was regretting buying the flimsy trade edition. Other hardcovers I can't wait to get are Brian Bolland's dredd stories in colour, and the first fear agent omnibus, both also getting a december release. The recent man thing omnibus looks really nice too. As for Godzilla comics the james stokoe one is the only series I've ever even heard of! But I'm sure there would be a long history of such titles given the shared fanbase.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:10 pm 

Anubis wrote:
That said, that clearly was not his intention to begin with.

Well sure, that's really my problem. The series started out as something I thought was cool and changed into something I really didn't like all that much.

Anubis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:44 am 

That's fair, I guess I just didn't mind the shift.

Have you read Flex Mentallo?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 am 

Weapon X is one of my favourite comic book storylines ever. If anyone's wondering, it's when they reveal how Wolverine/Logan got kidnapped and had adamantium forcibly implanted into his skeleton and was made into a killing machine, before he turned on his captors and escaped. Extremely visceral and no-holds-barred artwork and storytelling, and a generally morbid feel throughout.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:31 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Anubis wrote:
That said, that clearly was not his intention to begin with.

Well sure, that's really my problem. The series started out as something I thought was cool and changed into something I really didn't like all that much.

This was honestly my experience with the Invisibles as well. The second trade made it apparent that this was going to be one of those reads where the author tries to cram as much crap into it as possible.

Unmaker wrote:
I'll have a look at abc warriors when I get time, sounds like a good combination of genres. I recently picked up an oversize edition of batman/dredd judgement on gotham, with art by bisley, great stuff. I've also found his lobo hilarious but really need to re-read that one. I know all the dredd/batman series are getting collected in december in oversized hardcover, as soon as I heard that I was regretting buying the flimsy trade edition. Other hardcovers I can't wait to get are Brian Bolland's dredd stories in colour, and the first fear agent omnibus, both also getting a december release. The recent man thing omnibus looks really nice too. As for Godzilla comics the james stokoe one is the only series I've ever even heard of! But I'm sure there would be a long history of such titles given the shared fanbase.

Those two are honestly my favourite trades, such a pity that Bisley lost his touch after a few years though. I really have to get some more Dredd comics, he's such an unforgiving bastard of a character.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:02 pm 

Anubis wrote:
That's fair, I guess I just didn't mind the shift.

Have you read Flex Mentallo?

Nope.

psilokan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:34 pm 

I've always been into collecting comic books and also cards (such as Marvel's Over Power cards) but actually never really spent much time reading them. Sure I'd flip through one if I bought it but unless you had the 20 issues leading up to it you never had a clue what it was about, so you really had to follow them from the beginning. The only ones I ever seriously read were Mad magazines. But I collected Spiderman for many years, also Spawn (including the first issue) and all the Marvel/DC cross-over ones, so there was the various "Versus" series and then the Amalgam series that came after. Those were some of my favourites, I loved some of the cross-overs especially Batman + Wolverine = Dark Claw.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:48 am 

Just finished reading the new Marvel crossover, Avengers Versus X-Men. A good enough storyline involving the returning Phoenix Force and each team's resulting(and conflicting) plans to deal with it. Some nicely written moral debates too. I always liked my action when reading Marvel and there were enough entertaining fight scenes. My only gripe is the way the writers keep messing with the power levels of certain characters to fit a storyline. I mean, obviously exact strength levels of characters fluctuate here and there according to plot, but some level of consistency is expected in a universe like Marvel's, where a lot of emphasis used to be placed on continuity. C'mon, the Phoenix Force is powerful, but Emma Frost empowered with a fifth of it shouldn't come anywhere close to defeating Thor by herself. Or Namor empowered with a fifth of it shouldn't be able to withstand the onslaught of the entire Avenger's roster(which includes Red Hulk, Thing and Thor).

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:57 pm 

Alan Moore has announced he'll be penning a sequel series to Neonomicon. Apparently this time around the Old Man himself will star as a main character.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:17 am 

Okay, I've never seen the TV show, but a friend told me to check out The Walking Dead comic, which I did, and what the fuck man? Waking up in a hospital after said apocalypse? Hello, Day Of The Triffids and 28 Days Later!

Anyway, I really did not like the first two issues, has anyone read this? I'm already skeptical because it's Image, but my friend likes Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (which everyone knows I worship), so I trusted the little fella. Should I continue with this series, or save myself the hassle and not bother? I don't want to sift through poo just to say I've read it when I could rather be staring at my ceiling (which has recently developed some lovely spots of mold).

Speaking of Image Comics, this reminds that I should also check out Alan Moore's take on Supreme, as I liked his brief Superman stories like 'Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow' and that one where Superman catches the Ebola virus and pukes his intestines on Lex Luthor ala Fulci's City Of The Living Dead. Uh, yes.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:07 am 

The Walking Dead is mostly a survival drama with zombies, but with an emphasis on the drama. I used to love it but, I feel like it went downhill a bit since the Prison arc. I won't spill anything, but I may as well let you know that the writer really puts is character through the ringer, and you can see that in Invincible too.

Unmaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:48 pm 

somefella wrote:
Just finished reading the new Marvel crossover, Avengers Versus X-Men. A good enough storyline involving the returning Phoenix Force and each team's resulting(and conflicting) plans to deal with it. Some nicely written moral debates too. I always liked my action when reading Marvel and there were enough entertaining fight scenes. My only gripe is the way the writers keep messing with the power levels of certain characters to fit a storyline. I mean, obviously exact strength levels of characters fluctuate here and there according to plot, but some level of consistency is expected in a universe like Marvel's, where a lot of emphasis used to be placed on continuity. C'mon, the Phoenix Force is powerful, but Emma Frost empowered with a fifth of it shouldn't come anywhere close to defeating Thor by herself. Or Namor empowered with a fifth of it shouldn't be able to withstand the onslaught of the entire Avenger's roster(which includes Red Hulk, Thing and Thor).

Characters acting completely out of the ordinary and ridiculous is kind of a given for these kinds of crossovers, worst of all is how they tend to infect good comics with their inane b.s. although generally if a title is well written it'll be worked in imaginatively. That said jean grey in the dark phoenix saga was insanely powerful, and back then phoenix was just jean's powers at their max. Phoenix has since been retconned into a cosmic entity which arguably makes it more powerful. In secret avengers thor went toe to toe with pheonix without a host and didn't acheive so much as slowing it down before being critically injured, although captain britain was able to hold his own, which fits his essentially 'plot based' powers.

First issue of Uncanny Avengers has a wacky twist at the end, red skull has stolen prof. X's corpse and plans to transplant his brain to become the most powerful psychic on earth. This series sure holds the promise of some crazy comics.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:38 am 

Not sure if this belongs here or the literature thread... but Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy is being adapted into a graphic novel. :hyper:
Best of all? It's being serialized online, for free!

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2013/04/1 ... c-novel-2/

I highly recommend the novels of course, but Abercrombie fans and comic fans alike should check it out. Grimdark fantasy done right, with fantastic characters. Glokta <3

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:00 am 

Nothing to add right now because the most recent comic I've read was the volume one of Joss Whedons run on the Amazing X-men which I'd give a B. Not overly spectacular but pretty awesome.
But damn this thread has me itching to go to my local comic shop. Too bad they mostly carry marvel and DC and virtually no indie comics.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am 

I always had a bigger interest on the lore that pertains comic books rather than comic books themselves, but I can certainly enjoy the occassional graphic novel. Big fan of The Authority, Transmetropolitan, The Boys, and Preacher, for instance.

And yeah, Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis kick ass.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:24 pm 

Those guys' comics are to comics what Alcest is to black metal. Along with Gaiman.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Those guys' comics are to comics what Alcest is to black metal. Along with Gaiman.

That statement can mean two very different things depending on your position on blackgaze :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next