Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:29 pm 

Most of the sword stuff in SS was done well, save for the skyward strike which was a little wonky.

Everything else with the controls was awkward, especially flying and swimming.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:17 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
No way, Wind Waker is definitely one of my favorite Zelda games.

Hmm, really? I mean, it's a decent game but... definitely one of my least favorite in the Zelda series. No matter what the game does right, you can't get around the fact that there's what, like six dungeons in the entire game? And it's not like the overworld is terribly exciting either, so just not enough interesting content in there for me.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Kahalachan wrote:
The biggest thing is that stealth doesn't seem to pay off that much. Maybe as far as endings and all that, but when I mess up sneaking around and have to fight, it's not bad at all. It's quite easy. This is the same problem with Assassin's Creed. Combat is just not hard at all.

That's what the difficulty level is for, just stop playing on normal like a wimp. ;) On hard you die pretty fucking fast, like two hits or so.

I'm still quite early in the game, but up to now it's everything I had hoped for.

How far along Dishonored have you gotten? I just beat the second mission, and have basically abandoned any attempt to a only stealth and escape. I'm still trying to kill as little as possible (knockin folks out), but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

And I changed my mind about the lean controls. They work fine.

I can't decide yet if I like it, or think it's fucking amazing.

Edit: It's been so long since I played Splinter Cell, but I get the same feel from playing this game, the stealth in it at least. I loved the first Splinter Cell (never played any of the others but am considering DDing Chaos Theory), the gameplay was just so tense. And dishonored is like that too. The first time I blinked into an apartment and got away was one of the most satisfying gaming moments in recent memory, for me.

Last edited by sortalikeadream on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:08 am 

AppleQueso wrote:
Most of the sword stuff in SS was done well, save for the skyward strike which was a little wonky.

I agree with the first line, but the flying was pretty good I thought. I can't remember how the swimming was controlled at all. Maybe that's why I remember hating the tadpole section so much? I have no idea.

Some of the bosses were a-fucking-mazing in that game though. The big golden dude with the many arms being an obvious example. And the whole desert/time travel crystals idea was brilliant. I really enjoyed those sections of the game.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:03 am 

Dandelo wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

I agree with the first line, but the flying was pretty good I thought. I can't remember how the swimming was controlled at all. Maybe that's why I remember hating the tadpole section so much? I have no idea.

Swimming was done the same way as flying, aiming the controller at the screen and tilting it around for movement. I really disliked doing that.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 pm 

Windwaker is okay, but the ridiculously open and difficult to navigate overworld annoys the hell out of me. Some parts are fun, but ultimately not one of the better Zelda games. The Minish Cap is okay too, if incredibly easy. Not terrible, at least. I can't really say the same for Twilight Princess. I'm not sure why that game gets so much positive hype; the storyline is probably the worst in any Zelda game, and the graphics and gameplay are both dull as hell. Probably my least favorite Zelda game. Admittedly, I haven't played Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks or Skyward Sword.

Majora's Mask is pretty obviously the best for me, as the atmosphere and storyline are absolutely fantastic, and the gameplay is just so damn weird, in the best way possible. Kudos to MasterQuest though, that was pretty fun, as it wasn't as ridiculously easy as the original.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:22 pm 

The only Zelda game I've played is Ocarina of Time; which of course, is flawless. And quite honestly I don't mind if it was ever redone with modern graphics.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm 

I was never much a fan of the Zelda series, and I think Ocarina of Time is good, as opposed to stupendous. I mean, I liked it enough to play through to the end, but whenever I've tried playing it since I've never gotten past Jabu Jabu's Belly. I dunno, it just doesn't interest me much. I do like Link's Awakening though, but that could just be nostalgia for me because it was one of the four Game Boy games I ever owned.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:58 pm 

sortalikeadream wrote:
How far along Dishonored have you gotten? I just beat the second mission, and have basically abandoned any attempt to a only stealth and escape. I'm still trying to kill as little as possible (knockin folks out), but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm on the second mission right now, though I've taken my time to explore most of the levels so I've already racked up like 11 hours on the game. I love it so far. Lots of options in how to move around and accomplish your goals, lots of exploration and secrets, satisfying game mechanics... I think it most certainly delivers on what was promised. I'm already thinking about future playthroughs. Right now I'm probably playing in a similar style to what you described: mostly stealthily/mercifully, but killing when needed if I get spotted. Next I think I'm gonna try a high chaos playthrough in which I just slaughter everyone in my way, and after that possibly attempt an undetected/zero-kills playthrough, which should prove quite hard.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:18 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I was never much a fan of the Zelda series, and I think Ocarina of Time is good, as opposed to stupendous. I mean, I liked it enough to play through to the end, but whenever I've tried playing it since I've never gotten past Jabu Jabu's Belly. I dunno, it just doesn't interest me much. I do like Link's Awakening though, but that could just be nostalgia for me because it was one of the four Game Boy games I ever owned.

You stop playing OoT after childhood? That's when the game starts! Definitely still my favourite Zelda game, though Skyward Sword gave it a legitimate run for its money. What a gorgeous game, I should really get around to giving it a second go. Can't freaking wait to see what sort of Zelda they bust out for the Wii U.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:22 pm 

OoT definitely isn't as amazing as it's made out to be, although it is quite good. How you managed not to get past Jabu-Jabu is a head scratcher though, that's pretty much the easiest Zelda game besides the Minish Cap. Link's Awakening is definitely cool too, it had a pretty cool atmosphere, especially for a Gameboy game. If you liked that one, definitely check out the Oracle games, Ages is on par with LA for quality, and Seasons is pretty good too. Some of the coolest puzzles in the series, for sure.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:26 pm 

It's not like I got stuck, I would just lose interest around that point. Though I will admit the one time I played through the game fully I was pretty sucked in by the time adulthood really got rolling. I think I did the last four dungeons plus the last bit in about a day or two. Every other time I've tried though I just lost interest before I got that far.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:30 pm 

Ah, that makes more sense. The adult levels are definitely more interesting than the childhood ones. You should play MasterQuest if you haven't already done so, though. Way more engaging in pretty much every way.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:14 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Not terrible, at least. I can't really say the same for Twilight Princess. I'm not sure why that game gets so much positive hype; the storyline is probably the worst in any Zelda game

a) ....Who the fuck cares about the story in friggin' Zelda? Seriously?
b) It's still better than any previous Zelda's...?

Quote:
, and the graphics and gameplay are both dull as hell. Probably my least favorite Zelda game.

o_O They still beat Wind Waker by leagues...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:22 pm 

Nah, Wind Waker's gameplay isn't great, but at least it's fairly similar to the OoT/MM system. The whole concept of the twilight realm just bores the hell out of me, as does becoming a wolf, and none of the characters are remotely interesting. It just has an overly polished feel like they tried to make the game superficially better than previous games, but there isn't any real charm or character to anything. Wind Waker was entertaining in that it was laughably stupid at times; Twilight Princess is just completely lifeless and holds no interest for me.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:23 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
a) ....Who the fuck cares about the story in friggin' Zelda? Seriously?

Me!

I also wouldn't call OoT one of the easiest Zelda's, though it isn't one of the hardest either. The Water Temple, Spirit Temple, and Shadow Temple are all fairly challenging.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:40 pm 

Been seeing a lot of love for Dishonored. It looks like it does a lot of things right and it's been a while since a good stealth game was released, I'm probably going to rent it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
So you got Muramasa yet? :P

That seems like a game that should be on the 3DS. Some fun action on the go. Nothing that demands your time. It looks like casual fun.

But I did actually get The Last Story today so my Wii isn't dead yet :) The Gamestop here had 2 copies left of the collector's edition that was sold at the same price as a regular Wii game. Sort of like how Dark Souls came in a nice case with art book.

So far it's interesting. It's most definitely what the new Final Fantasy games should've been. The environment and time period, the lack of stupidity (ex. Final Fantasy XIII had Shiva be a transforming motorocycle. A dumb "All moms are tough" line in the first hour), the general Final Fantasy formula of a group of comrades starting off on an adventure and eventually having to stop this evil force or empire.

Gameplay feels like a sloppy Mass Effect. :lol: I'm really not kidding with this one. Aiming with the crossbow just feels a bit off. It's not clean shooting in Mass Effect. And issuing out commands like you would in Mass Effect is a bit awkward cause you have to zoom in at the area and then pick a choice of what you want them to do. It's not like Mass Effect where you just center the camera and use a hotkeyed command.

Did Nobuo Uematsu really make the music here? He must be out of his prime now cause there's nothing that captivated me like Xenoblade. I mean the main title screen of Xenoblade and starting off in Colony 9 was already enjoyable music wise. And Guar Plains just pushed it to awesome. It's good but not awesome.

Dialog is OK. Doesn't suck but it's not that interesting. The story is interesting, but how it's written isn't. It just feels basic. They flat out talk about being mercenaries who want more in life rather than letting that theme be more subtle. Like how I would've written this is you finish the first mission, get your pay, get drunk, and then either some character seems depressed or like gets in a fight and then the leader asks "What was up with that, this isn't like you" and just hits that point in a better way. No. In this game there's dialog to flat out say they want to be knights not mercenaries. Blah.

I do like some of the unique design choices. Like when you talk to an NPC is shows the characters and some dialog but the environment blurs a little. So it keeps you in the moment of where exactly you are but also shows these nice close ups of the NPCs talking. You can customize how you look and change armor and colors. That's always a bonus. Tutorial menus are pretty.

So far the design looks generic but not as bad as Dragon's Dogma. But it's not Xenoblade. Maybe it's like Skyrim where towns look like this town. And a cave looks like a cave I guess. It's nice is all.

My first impressions tell me to call it a good JRPG but not an excellent or amazing one.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:50 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
So you got Muramasa yet? :P

That seems like a game that should be on the 3DS. Some fun action on the go. Nothing that demands your time. It looks like casual fun.

I assume you two are talking about Oboro Muramasa/The Demon Blade. If yes, it's a pretty fun and simple game, intuitive combat, really nice visuals and soundtrack, but gets repetitive after your first playthrough. There's two characters but their styles do not differ much, and they did a pretty half-assed job at the translation/adaptation, and the story doesn't matters much anyway, so there isn't much of a motivation to complete two storylines except for collecting all the blades. The Shigurui difficulty gives a pretty nice challenge though.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:11 pm 

You bought another mediocre jRPG over Murasama. :( I has a sad.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:15 pm 

So, I'm going to rediscover some vague childhood experiences of briefly playing Sonic Adventure 2 on my cousin's Gamecube by downloading it from PSN.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11 am 

I purchased the God of War collection for PS3 about a year ago (as well as a few other games), but have pretty much only played UMvC3 since then. I finally started GoW and am pretty happy with it, so far. Having done pretty well with Ninja Gaiden, I decided to start this one on hard. It's a decent challenge, but not overly punishing. Combat is surprisingly solid; I generally expect most combat in games of this genre to fall short after playing so much NG, but this is fairly challenging, fun, and progressing enough to keep me interested, so far -- still no NG, though. :P I'm only a few hours in, and it's about as epic as it's always appeared from the outside looking in. QTE's are lame, but I feel that this game does a better job of incorporating them than more recent games that I've played do. They don't feel quite so forced because many can be avoided altogether.

Which reminds me: did anyone else play El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron? The game started out promising enough, but the whole (one-button!) combat system had been expanded to it's fullest before the half-way point, and it wasn't that complex to begin with. Admittedly, the combat was decent, given how incredibly bare-bones it was, but that fact coupled with an obnoxiously linear level progression and little variation in enemies (and a story that stacked disappointments like cards in a deck) killed my motivation to finish, short as it was. For the record, I did finish, and it was all the more disappointing for having done so. One of the most utterly disappointing games I've ever played. Quite a shame too, because the concept and design were completely fucking awesome.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 am 

So I'm not even close to finishing Borderlands 2 yet. The main quest and all the side quests are fucking long. But that's not a bad thing at all, compared to the first one and related video games the story line is far more comprehensive. I even felt bad for the Claptrap robot
Spoiler: show
at an ending of one mission you have to go around and invite people to his birthday party... and watch as no one shows up.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:13 am 

Morrigan wrote:
You bought another mediocre jRPG over Murasama. :( I has a sad.

Hah. Another thing that bugs me is obvious fanservice girl.

Please.......

But then why do I like Bayonetta or Lollipop Chainsaw? Cause they're obviously selling sex. It's a mindless button masher with a good view and silliness. They're not hiding what they're selling. It's shameless.

Fighting games are fine too. They're supposed to be over the top as well.

But an RPG that tries to tell a serious story and has boobs popping out and bouncing all over the place is just dumb. It's completely breaking the mood of the game.

Say whatever you want about Resident Evil 6, but at least this looks like a woman who fights bioterrorism.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:42 am 

iAm wrote:
So I'm not even close to finishing Borderlands 2 yet. The main quest and all the side quests are fucking long. But that's not a bad thing at all, compared to the first one and related video games the story line is far more comprehensive. I even felt bad for the Claptrap robot
at an ending of one mission you have to go around and invite people to his birthday party... and watch as no one shows up.

But it was his best birthday party ever!!!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:51 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
No way, Wind Waker is definitely one of my favorite Zelda games.

Hmm, really? I mean, it's a decent game but... definitely one of my least favorite in the Zelda series. No matter what the game does right, you can't get around the fact that there's what, like six dungeons in the entire game? And it's not like the overworld is terribly exciting either, so just not enough interesting content in there for me.

Who cares if there are only six dungeons in the game, are you paying by the dungeon or something? Quality over quantity sez me, and it's not like it's a short game by any means. I just had a shitload of fun sailing around the overworld exploring all the little islands and mapping out the place. Plus I enjoyed the graphical style a lot. I really appreciated how Wind Waker did something quite different from the last few Zelda games, even today it still feels very distinct compared to the rest in the series. In my opinion OoT already was the best in that style of 3D Zelda, I don't really want them to keep imitating it over and over with more realistic graphics and more violence like a lot of people seem to. Nintendo seems to be *really* overusing the whole light world/dark world thing from A Link to the Past, too.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:05 am 

^ That's exactly why WW was one of my favorties as well. I felt some sort of duty to sail every square inch of that damn sea and find every chart.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:35 am 

I got God of War I as a gift. Lucky thing, because it remains one of my favorite games, and I still play it from time to time. God of War II is an excellent sequel. God of War III is lame.

The best thing about I & II are the God/Titan modes, the highest difficulty levels. Some games simply manipulate a few game variables and call it good. You take more damage when hit, spells take more magic, but you can still basically button mash your way through it if you're careful. The Elder Scrolls games are like that.

GoW I & II however require real mastery of the game on the highest difficulty. There are levels that will stop you cold unless you know Kratos's special moves. You also have to know which attacks work best on which enemies, and know how to time attacks & magic to get the best effect. Beating those two on God/Titan felt like a real accomplishment.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:02 am 

I felt like a fuckin' boss when I finally beat God of War II on Titan mode. Even regular-ass enemies know how to read your stupid face and fuck you up, and then there are the bosses...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Say whatever you want about Resident Evil 6, but at least this looks like a woman who fights bioterrorism.

Eh? I was with you until that pic... she's got super-obvious cleavage. :rolleyes: She's not as over-the-top as Sharla, but then again, what is.

'Course, I don't really know what a woman fighting bioterrorism should look like...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:29 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
'Course, I don't really know what a woman fighting bioterrorism should look like...

If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:52 pm 

:D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:38 pm 

I'm not really into video games, but there is one game I do play, and that's DOOM WADs. Free downloadable 3rd party DOOM games, and there's never ending amounts of levels to play. Turn on some music, and play for hours!

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm 

One day left on the Project Eternity kickstarter!
Here's a look at the kind of ideas this is going to be based on.
Non-combat abilities being important again? alternatives to combat that are equally rewarded? fucking sweet stuff.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:12 pm 

fuuuuuck true vault hunter mode in BL2 is hard. Dudes kill you with a few hits (doing like 10k damage overall) then they drop weapons that do 400. :(

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:27 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
One day left on the Project Eternity kickstarter!
Here's a look at the kind of ideas this is going to be based on.
Non-combat abilities being important again? alternatives to combat that are equally rewarded? fucking sweet stuff.

Hah, apparently he's a Kingdom of Loathing fan. I coughed up, game sounds sweet.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm 

First time to sit down and play Dishonored since I first purchased it. Awesome game so far, loving the story and the characters that have been introduced. The environments look great, and even though this is mission based there is a lot of exploring available to the player. I can't wait to find some more runes and unlock some more magic abilities.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Eh? I was with you until that pic... she's got super-obvious cleavage. :rolleyes: She's not as over-the-top as Sharla, but then again, what is.

Just cause they're big doesn't mean that she's obviously showing them off. She's dressed like some FBI agent in that pic and isn't wearing anything sexy. So she makes sense in Resident Evil 6. I don't even notice her bust size in the game. I just care that she has my back when I'm Leon. If monsters and stuff really existed, Helena from Resident Evil 6 probably should be head to toe in riot gear, but she makes sense how she looks.

But Sharla or the girl from Last Story doesn't make sense at all. You can't help but notice how sexy they're dressing. Are they going to the club looking to get laid? What's going on there?

inhumanist wrote:

HAHAHAH

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:00 am 

Dishonored is definitely awesome, I just wish it had better sound/music. Nothing will ever again replicate the awesome sound design of Thief, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, etc.

Kahalachan wrote:
Did Nobuo Uematsu really make the music here? He must be out of his prime now cause there's nothing that captivated me like Xenoblade. I mean the main title screen of Xenoblade and starting off in Colony 9 was already enjoyable music wise. And Guar Plains just pushed it to awesome. It's good but not awesome.

Word is he composed but someone else apparently arranged the entire thing and completely ruined it? Either way he probably needs to step aside at this point anyways. I've always been a bigger Mitsuda and Hiroki Kikuta (wish he did more) fan myself.

Yeah from the bit of Last Story I played it was super average and awkward.

Also:
http://cyberpunk.net/

BONERS

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:08 am 

Must say, really digging Deathsmiles. Once you get past the fact that you're playing as a flying teenage girl who is dressed like a hooker. The game is pretty tight, made me pick up two other Cave titles (DoDonPachi Resurrection and Akai Katana). It's good that they got a release over here.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455 ... 940  Next