Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 am 

Take for example the following song, "A Gothic Romance (Red Roses for the Devil's Whore)" by Cradle of Filth. As you can see part of the title is enclosed in parentheses. Suppose you take a live version of the song, on here it would read: "A Gothic Romance (Red Roses for the Devil's Whore) (Live)" To me that sounds a bit odd, and to an extent difficult to differentiate between the actual song name and the "version" of the song. In other cases "demo," "rehearsal," etc... I believe that in cases like this it would be more legible and in general. better, to write the "version" in brackets, and reserve parentheses for portions of song names. For example: "A Gothic Romance (Red Roses for the Devil's Whore) [Live]" In this method of grammar usage, it's easier to differentiate between the song name and the particular version of the song. So I believe that words such as "live," "demo," "rehearsal," "re-recording," "~ cover," which are all not part of a song's name and yet are important to that particular song's version should be put in brackets instead of their current, usual parentheses.

What do you guys think?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:59 am 

I don't think it should be a matter of stylistic or grammatical preference. I think it should match, as much as possible, the tracklist depicted in the release's linear notes.

Exceptions:
This excludes the site's convention of identifying a cover song by appending " (# cover)" to the end of the title, as well as any asterisks used in the linear notes to denote personnel or issue-specific info (e.g., "* - Fenriz does not do vocals on tracks" or "* - Bonus tracks (recorded live at Wacken open air 2008)", which is generally trivia that's reserved for the album's additional notes, so it shouldn't be reflected in the site's formatting of the tracklist either.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:46 am 

That pretty much answered my question. Alright, unless further-notice from any other mods, I'll continue to use parentheses in all cases of things I've submitted/added.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:29 am 

Remember, if a track uses square brackets for any part of the title, be sure to use that instead of rounded brackets. Same for {}.

E.g., this.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 am 

Essentially do exactly as the artist has done. Gotcha.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:48 am 

... barring the usual capitalisation procedure, of course. ;)

Closing this thread now, since it appears I've answered your question. If not, just PM me again or something. =)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.