Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 am 

So the new Between The Buried and Me is out. I think is is pretty neat, first listen through Astral Body was my favourite track but that might change. Who else has heard it and what are your thoughts?

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:10 am 

I gave a whirl once and loved it. I don't think it was anything they make I will ever love more than Colors, but it beats out The Great Misdirect in my opinion. And when I get the time, I'll have to spin it a few more times to see if I like it better than the first Parallax (the EP).

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:13 am 

It's a good album, somewhat great. They're going even further into prog, which is always interesting. Didn't like the short tracks though, they all felt a bit unnecessary. Also kinda hated Astral Body, way too fucking happy lol. Nonetheless, Extremophile Elite, Telos and Melting City are all excellent tracks.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am 

Hahaha yeah Astral Body is super happy. I just like hearing it shred in scales that aren't normally used for this kind of music. The more progressive they get the more they remind me of dream theater in a weird way.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:13 pm 

I own Colors and have listened to it maybe once, and in general have never been much of a BTBAM fan or even a fan of prog as a whole. But with that said, this album is pretty cool. Not sure what about it sticks out to me, but it's been kind of a surprise hit for me this year.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:18 pm 

Perhaps you should listen to Colors again, eh, it's a great album! I heard last of the album yesterday, it's pretty good so far!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:23 pm 

That's the weird thing, I remember liking Colors, and two of my best friends claim Alaska as one of the few albums they'd give 100% to. So it's not like I haven't been surrounded by the band, I guess my distance comes from the pretension so many of their fans exude (as is the case with almost any remotely progressive band, to be fair) and the fact that I didn't like them at all live. I didn't like that they completely neglected Alaska when I saw them, because I don't mind that album either, and from what I can gather it's a fan favorite. One of the aforementioned friends saw them a month or so ago and said they not only yet again played nothing from Alaska, but not even a single song under seven minutes. I've got nothing against a band evolving, but it's a personal quibble since they seem to be trying to distance themselves from the style that I liked.

Again, that's all kind of strange because I like this new album a surprising amount. I'll have to revisit the previous stuff.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:36 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I own Colors and have listened to it maybe once, and in general have never been much of a BTBAM fan or even a fan of prog as a whole. But with that said, this album is pretty cool. Not sure what about it sticks out to me, but it's been kind of a surprise hit for me this year.

I used to hate Between the Buried and Me. Back when I first got into metal, for a while all I really cared about were extremely obvious melodies and clean vocals. I was introduced to a bunch of metal and -core bands through Rock Band and Wikipedia and Between the Buried and Me was one of them. I added them to my library (only the album Colors) but every time they would come up on shuffle, I would skip them. It got to the point where I strongly disliked their songs (excluding Prequel to the Sequel, which I only liked because I knew it already). I disliked them so much that I deleted them out of my library, something that only around 10 in 1500 bands have had it happen to (big deal for me).

Fast forward a year or so and I randomly decide to give it another try. And I loved it. Between the Buried and Me is now one of my favorite bands, Colors is one of my favorite albums, and Sun of Nothing, Prequel to the Sequel, and White Walls are some of my favorite songs.

I'm sure you know what you like and I'm not trying to say that if you give it another try you will like it. I'm just saying it's possible. Colors went from being an album I could genuinely say I hated to one that I wouldn't rank lower than my top 10.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:23 pm 

I still have to give it some spins, but, I have to say this album is really good. It has everything they had before, and the music still seems to move forward, this will be a favorite of the year for me. I love BTBAM.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

GloomBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 pm 

Is it anything like Alaska?

Personally my favorite album that's why I ask.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm 

Have you read Bastard's post ahead? Of course it's not, neither is Colors or The Great Misdirect.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 pm 

I'll have to get into this sometime during the month. Haven't given these guys a proper listen for anything beyond Alaska, which I love at times and hate at times. It's the only album front to back that I've stuck to since I heard these guys back in 2005.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:42 pm 

Despite owning each album, and having seen them live twice (once for the DVD they put out), I've weirdly been apathetic with regard to this new album. In fact, even though I liked it, I didn't listen to the last ep that much either. Not sure if I've just been suffering from a temporary burnout or what but I'm gonna go buy the new album in the coming days anyway. Can get it from a place just down the street for 8 bucks and I'm pretty confident by now that these guys just aren't going to put out anything less than stellar material. I think I can honestly say that each album has been better than the last. The song writing, the musicianship, the overall cohesiveness of this band has just climbed and climbed. While they've always experimented with their sound, I think they more or less found themselves on Alaska and basically turned the corner on Colors. They really knew what they were doing on that release and tapped into their max potential, which I think is still to be explored given that I think I actually liked The Great Misdirect even more than Colors, which is saying a lot.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 am 

I guess I'll listen to the new album, seems interesting enough.

My only beef with BTBAM is, for me, they have always been ok. Not Bad, Not great, just ok. There are elements in songs that I like, but then most of the time, that is the only part I like from the song. I guess it is time to see if there is a song by BTBAM I will like in entirety.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:30 am 

I like this new album, I am not very familiar with this band and I will not lie the name immediately put me off. I generally loathe the majority of modern metalcore but there is a lot more to these guys sound and I am really enjoying the proggy elements and the odd choices that remind me of Devin Townsend in their eccentricity. Picked this up today with the new Enslaved so all in all a very awesome day of purchases.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 am 

I just saw them recently at summer slaughter and it was almost painful to sit through the set. Part of that could be that their music is sooo much more progressive than any of the other bands that were there and the mood that was set from the faceless and the other bands was heavy and fast. Yeah all the songs the played were like 7 plus minutes. I think they had like an hour set and only played 5 songs.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:36 am 

I hate this band.
I don't think this album will change my opinion very much. Sorry to be such a Negative Nelly.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:13 am 

Why even bother posting then?

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 am 

I'm actually pretty surprised at the amount of praise I've seen for BTBAM on this board. I'm glad there are some folks who know their shit (i.e. not scene kids) who also enjoy these guys. I also saw them at Summer Slaughter and was slightly disappointed in their set. They didn't play any of their shorter, heavier songs (which is of course not to say that their 10 minute proggy songs are bad). They did open with "White Wall" though, so that made me smile. I just wish they would've played a couple tracks from Alaska, Colors or Silent Circus. Saw them a couple years back and enjoyed them a lot more since they played a more varied set.

I haven't heard the new one, but I'm sure I'll give it a try at some point. Not really a top priority, I suppose.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
I hate this band.
I don't think this album will change my opinion very much. Sorry to be such a Negative Nelly.

Go away... If you didn't listen to the album and if you don't have interest in the band then refrain from posting in the future.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm 

Really... Did this have to be moved to The Tavern? This band isn't metal enough for one of the moderators? Two moderators posted in this thread without incident, so it seems to be the individual opinion of maybe just one mod.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:56 pm 

Well, it wasn't my call and BH is not a forum mod. BTBAM is one of the band I want on MA personally, but in the end, it's not my call. Does it really matter, though? Is it an "incident"? Nah, not really.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
BTBAM is one of the band I want on MA personally, but in the end, it's not my call.

Good to know at least one mod thinks so.

But to contribute to the thread, I haven't heard their new album, but am quite a fan of theirs. I'll snatch it up when I can.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:39 pm 

Lots of people think they deserve a spot in MA, some of those people happen to be mods. And really, if the thread is band specific and the band in question does not have a page on MA on the grounds of them not being metal, it makes complete sense to move the thread out of Metal Discussion. But let this be the final word regarding their acceptance on MA for now, I realize I have no power to enforce this request, but it really isn't the point of the thread and believe me the mods are tired of appeals for BTBAM.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Lots of people think they deserve a spot in MA

They had one, and lost it. Why? I'm not sure... Maybe Alaska sucked hard :lol:
I used to like them a lot, I don't know, Colors wasn't their best but it was pretty interesting. I'm kind of curious now since all the praise, and the album's name is also cool. I'm gonna try t o get it, and then come back with a better answer.

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Lots of people think they deserve a spot in MA

They had one, and lost it. Why? I'm not sure... Maybe Alaska sucked hard :lol:

By that logic, Metallica and Morbid Angel should be removed from MA, right? ;) I think that Between the Buried and Me should be added to the Archives.

I just picked up their new album and I've enjoyed what I heard so far.

BTBAM definitely took some time to grow on me. When I first heard them, I was still exploring the more extreme side of metal so I didn't do a whole lot with progressive metal. After listening to various progressive acts, I finally gave them the chance they deserved and I love them now. I probably wouldn't put them in my top 10 but I'd definitely listen to them and would like to see them do a headlining tour. Maybe with some other progressive acts.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:53 am 

Yeah, I have gotten over the fact that they don't have a page on the archives. It is stupid but whatever the people in charge of that apparently have some weird issue with the band and let it get in the way of making a more thorough site.

However I find it extremely unnecessary for it to have to be moved to the tavern. But I digress this thread is about the new album and not a debate on whether or not BTBAM is metal.

Anyways I really like that they are becoming more progressive. The really do remind me of a more extreme version of Dream Theater these days. This new album may make it on my top ten of the year but we will wait and see a lot more promising releases are coming out.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:14 am 

percepticide wrote:
Yeah, I have gotten over the fact that they don't have a page on the archives. It is stupid but whatever the people in charge of that apparently have some weird issue with the band and let it get in the way of making a more thorough site.

However I find it extremely unnecessary for it to have to be moved to the tavern. But I digress this thread is about the new album and not a debate on whether or not BTBAM is metal.

The "issue" is that they are not deemed a metal band. This weird implication that only bands the mods/owners like are allowed on the Archives always makes me laugh, like we're all raging Keydragon fans or something. Nobody has denied metal elements within their sound, but it's been decided that their music is not based on a metal style, and ergo not eligible for conclusion. For the love of Crom, everybody get over it. They'll be reevaluated when the time comes and if they're still deemed unacceptable, you'll all have to pick up your cry towels and just soak it up until they release something definitively metallic.

And on the second point:
Medal Discussion > for metal bands
The Tavern > non-metal discussion
Between the Buried and Me > not metal

This isn't rocket science.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
like we're all raging Keydragon fans or something.

Dude... you're not?

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:20 pm 

Like I said I am over it hahah. They are clearly metal, if the people in charge want to call them not metal that is fine it just makes the site less thorough.

No one on this thread said anything about mods only allowing bands they like. What I said is they seem to have a problem with BTBAM. I say this because they choose to listen and then claim it isn't metal based even though it is as clear as day that it is.

I just didn't know they were picky to the point of actually moving the thread to another location. No one is crying over it, it is just something people keep wondering about. I think people wouldn't make a ordeal of it if they would explain how their music isn't based on a metal style.

BTBAM=Metal
Belongs in Metal Discussion
but has ended up in The Tavern

that is the way it is and I don't expect it to change regardless if it was unnecessary to move it in the first place. They will probably never (again?) have a page on metal archives and that is fine.

In the future I personally will remember that BTBAM posts belong in The Tavern because of the bias of a couple mods.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Lots of people think they deserve a spot in MA, some of those people happen to be mods. And really, if the thread is band specific and the band in question does not have a page on MA on the grounds of them not being metal, it makes complete sense to move the thread out of Metal Discussion. But let this be the final word regarding their acceptance on MA for now, I realize I have no power to enforce this request, but it really isn't the point of the thread and believe me the mods are tired of appeals for BTBAM.

You're clearly not over it, no mods have bias, the site owner moved the thread here because they're not on the site, that's simple enough.

BTW: That's the last post about BTBAM not being on MA.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:51 pm 

I am over it don't put words in my mouth. I said I was then I was quoted and I was merely responding because I was quoted. The end. No reason for people to get hostile. By the sites logic it makes sense that it was moved.

but yes it would be nice if things went back to the topic of the original post. Also who do you guys want to see with them when they do the tour for this album in the United States?

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:32 am 

percepticide wrote:
I am over it don't put words in my mouth. I said I was then I was quoted and I was merely responding because I was quoted. The end. No reason for people to get hostile. By the sites logic it makes sense that it was moved.

but yes it would be nice if things went back to the topic of the original post. Also who do you guys want to see with them when they do the tour for this album in the United States?

Cynic and Opeth would be pretty nice.

Caj1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 am 

I never could get past 'em.

Too much weedly for my taste, and the vocalist rubs me the wrong way.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 am 

They sound a bit too much like Animals As Leaders with a mediocre vocalist for my tastes. That's my take on it, anyway.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

billboy73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:26 am 

I am really liking the new one. I think it flows really well and has some interesting parts. In won't top The Great Misdirect, which is my favorite album of theirs, but it is another solid album from them. They just keep progressing and doing really interesting things.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 am 

Burnyoursins wrote:
They sound a bit too much like Animals As Leaders with a mediocre vocalist for my tastes. That's my take on it, anyway.

:scratch:
AAL is a downright terrible comparison...

My enjoyment for the new album has sort of plateaued recently. Currently I'd place it right behind TGM, mainly because it's so damn long (73 minutes...). For reference purposes, I'd rank their albums as follows: Colors > TSC > Alaska > TGM > Parallax II > Parallax I > S/T (don't get me wrong though, even the s/t gets about a 90% score from me)

Also, cool your shit, percepticide. You say you're "over it", only to immediately continue your passive aggressive rant about biased mods. I'm a massive fanboy of the band, but their place on MA is the slightest of my concerns.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 pm 

cool my shit? haha I keep saying I am over it and changing the subject only for someone to bring it back up. Like I said it is irrelevant that they aren't on here. They are on other sites and I don't expect them to be on here. I wasn't being passive aggressive i simply stated an opinion.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 pm 

Idiots.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.