Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 pm 

For anyone that doesn't know, Netflix is this service that you pay a fee (around 7-14 dollars a month) to watch unlimited films and documentaries that would be in movie rental places. Basically you pay this money and you receive the film by mail. Anyway, apart from that, I want to talk about the special Netflix service you can order for no special fee. If you have a PS3, Xbox, or computer you can watch a select number of films by internet streaming right away!

There a tons of films, though obviously not all of them are there. However, there is an impressive number of metal films and documentaries, also a few selection of live concerts. Right now I'm interested in watching 'Metal in Baghdad' and this other film about black metal's church burning, and some other metal stuff. Do you guys have Netflix? Any comments? Movies you can recommend? Do tell.

Di3inpain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:19 pm 

netflix is a cool service. BD selection is limited imo.

you can watch the baghdad doc (an awesome doc btw) for free here:

http://www.vice.com/vice-music-specials ... ad-feature

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 pm 

I recommend you watch The Stoned Age, Clerks, Fubar: Balls to the Wall, and Trailer Park Boys.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:44 pm 

At what point does a fee become special? Is there some free option where your access to the streaming library is limited?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 am 

Netflix is awesome. I've always found that a good way to lift my spirits if I'm in a depressed mood is to go onto the last pages of the horror section and turn on one of the hilariously terrible movies they have there.

They don't have House or the entire original Law & Order though. They lose some cool points because of that.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:04 am 

I just do the streaming service and I love it. while it may not have everything that im looking for, im still watching movie after movie that Ive never heard of or had a friend mention, etc. But turns out to be badass. be sure to rate what you watch and in my experience things that they have recommended ive actually liked, and some quite a bit.

check out - Man who wasnt there
clay pigeons
the perfect host
half nelson
the killer instinct pt1 and 2 (mesrine)
dead mans shoes
god bless america
dark days
red white and blue
ip man
i saw the devil

just a few movies i had never heard of and enjoyed quite a bit.
wish i could still get the 1 dvd by mail without the price literally doubling. fucking rediculous

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:15 am 

Netflix Streaming carries all seven seasons of Peep Show.

Need I say more?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

intothesarlaccpit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 pm 

Peep Show is hilarious, also Blackadder.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:29 pm 

Ong Bak is on Netflix. Watch that, and then come back to me as a changed (better) person.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:33 pm 

The new season of Arrested Development will be coming exclusively to Netflix! :D

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:36 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Ong Bak is on Netflix. Watch that, and then come back to me as a changed (better) person.

This.

I love Netflix, but I hate how they always seem to take off my favorite stuff. I wanted to watch Naked Gun last night, and it was no longer there. =[

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:14 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
The new season of Arrested Development will be coming exclusively to Netflix! :D

All of my YES.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

GloomBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:03 am 

That 70's Show complete season
King of the Hill
Futurama
A lot of B-Rated Movies like Surf Nazis Must Die and Thrashin'
They even added an Alejandro Jodorowsky movie Santa Sangre (not the best of all his movies but worth a watch)

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:31 pm 

The European version of netflix is terrible compared to the American version. My friend masked his IP so was getting the American one. Way more shows with complete series and all that. Defo not getting the european one till they make it as good as the US version.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:08 pm 

I started mine up again recently. It's nice to have when nothing is on the actual TV, or you don't want to deal with commercials. i don't watch a lot of regular tv anyway, so I don't care if it's not all new stuff.

I only have streaming now and I sometimes miss the better selection of the DVDs, though.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:32 pm 

My ex still lets me use her Netflix account so I sneak a movie in here and there when I feel the need. Troll 2 and Best Worst Movie were the first two movies I watched on there though I did find Last Days Here a couple months back.

LeetMetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:18 pm 

Di3inpain wrote:
netflix is a cool service. BD selection is limited imo.

you can watch the baghdad doc (an awesome doc btw) for free here:

http://www.vice.com/vice-music-specials ... ad-feature

Yes, this documentary was fucking awesome. There were a few other metal/rock documentaries that I watched on Netflix, but I don't remember them right now. Personally, the best part of Netflix is the documentary section, since it has a shit load of docs about astronomy/technology (The Universe, How the Universe Works, Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking, How Stuff Works, etc)

They also used to have quite a variety of awesome anime for streaming, but then they decided to remove the best shows (including a bunch of Ghost in the Shell seasons; both uncut and shortened versions of SAC I&II, as well as the movies).

And the TV shows available are mildly entertaining.

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:29 am 

I just finished watching Last Days Here. Really good and depressing documentary. I would also recommend Indie Game the Movie. That's a documentary following the development of Super Meat Boy and Fez. Pretty depressing in some parts but very uplifting, and inspiring in the end.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 am 

sadly not available in Australia. We still have old-school rental shops.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Di3inpain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:57 pm 

LeetMetalhead wrote:
Personally, the best part of Netflix is the documentary section, since it has a shit load of docs about astronomy/technology (The Universe, How the Universe Works, Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking, How Stuff Works, etc)

FYI - not sure if you are aware, but get free docs here: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

i stream docs to my wifi tv since id rather not watch on my small 24" monitor. a mix of high and low quality video, but they are free and many are really interesting. well over 1000 to choose from overall and new ones added weekly. worth checking out IMO.

GloomBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:40 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:

Personally I loved small video rental shops. The ones I used to go to had a lot of cult B-rated horror flicks and a good amount of documentaries.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 am 

GloomBlood wrote:
Scorntyrant wrote:

Personally I loved small video rental shops. The ones I used to go to had a lot of cult B-rated horror flicks and a good amount of documentaries.

when VHS was going out and DVD was coming in I was working at head office for one of the rental chains here. Part of my job was sifting all the vhs releases when they got rid of their stock looking for rare/oop stuff to on-sell. Needless to say, I kept all the gems for myself. I have around 200 cult/horror VHS titles from those days.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:36 am 

I worked at Blockbuster, when DVD fully took over my job was to smash the shit out of the VHS tapes with a hammer. No, seriously that was the policy. They occasionally sent out "Transfer and Destroy" lists and the "destroy" part was quite literal.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:15 am 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
I recommend you watch The Stoned Age, Clerks, Fubar: Balls to the Wall, and Trailer Park Boys.

Fubar 2: Give 'er Again was a lot funnier. But yeah, totally agreed. Fuck ducks!

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:20 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
I worked at Blockbuster, when DVD fully took over my job was to smash the shit out of the VHS tapes with a hammer. No, seriously that was the policy. They occasionally sent out "Transfer and Destroy" lists and the "destroy" part was quite literal.

This sounds like a lot of fun :D

I can't believe I watched 200+ episodes of South Park, but I did. It was awesome. BTW, Have you guys been having trouble viewing your instant queue, though? I haven't been able in about 4 days, and I've got like 80 movies/shows on it :/

LeetMetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:46 pm 

Di3inpain wrote:

FYI - not sure if you are aware, but get free docs here: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

i stream docs to my wifi tv since id rather not watch on my small 24" monitor. a mix of high and low quality video, but they are free and many are really interesting. well over 1000 to choose from overall and new ones added weekly. worth checking out IMO.

Thanks man, I just checked the site, and it's fantastic! They have a bunch of docs I've never heard of; this will keep me busy for a long time!

Cendelence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:24 am 

Netflix is very cool and I use the instant-watch a lot, but they lost a lot of respect in my eyes when they took off Philosophy of a Knife from instawatch. You can still have it mailed to you, but they even deleted the cover off the website. They had the entire four hours on. Netflix probably got complaints or something from stupid parents and got bitchmade. I still use the service a lot, but fuck that, I had only finished part 1.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 pm 

They took off The Iron Giant and Chocolate (the kung fu movie) too. I don't know what dictates what stays on the streaming service and what doesn't, but for a while there they pretty much had a crusade against my taste (they took off Ip Man for a while too but that came back).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:20 pm 

Damn, I've watched Chocolate around 30 times thanks to Netflix (final Mario Brothers style fight scene around 60 times). Jeeja's other flick on stream (Phoenix Rising or something) wasn't half as good, but had some good drunken boxing moments.

Streaming Netflix is useful to me just to keep the toddlers entertained with numerous Dora, Shaun the Sheep and Pingu episodes when I need a smoke break, plus all the cool Korean flicks available when they're in bed.

orionparker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:18 pm 

Di3inpain wrote:

This site is great dude. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Di3inpain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:12 pm 

orionparker wrote:
Di3inpain wrote:

This site is great dude. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

cheers man...enjoy!

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:22 pm 

Thanks to Netflix I was able to see Breaking Bad (minus the latest season) and Star Trek Deep Space 9. That alone makes it worth it for me.

If a show looks mildly familiar or interesting I add it and watch whenever I want for some commercial free TV. It's like having my own TV station. And on my TV station is lots of cartoons like South Park, Futurama, King of the Hill. Some classic 80s shows like the A-Team. Lots of sci-fi like all the Star Treks, Battlestar Galactica, Dr Who. Some anime. Fantasy like Legend of the Seeker. Oldies like Leave it to Beaver and Twilight Zone.

I'm always playing something in the background while online.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:43 am 

We have Netflix through our Wii. Red State is a really good movie on there, and we watch a lot of series on there like Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Shark Week, Supernatural, Fear Itself, The Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels, etc. We definitely enjoy the selection on there.

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:59 am 

BastardHead wrote:
They took off The Iron Giant and Chocolate (the kung fu movie) too. I don't know what dictates what stays on the streaming service and what doesn't, but for a while there they pretty much had a crusade against my taste (they took off Ip Man for a while too but that came back).

Money. That's basically why a lot of what you like won't be on there. It does suck but the rights holders just want a bigger cut of the money pie before they do business. And some companies just won't put up with it since they have their own streaming services or fear it will cut too much into DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

I would love it if Netflix had every single film in existence on there, but that's not going to happen. I like what they have and I don't have to pay a lot of money for cable television.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:09 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:

Those usually have better selections than Redbox, or Netflix which besides The Pirate Bay is my only option for movies here unless I find something good at Walmart.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 am 

I'm kinda disappointed in Netflix. I had heard lots of great things about it.

Yesterday it became available in Denmark, and I just got me an account some 45 minutes ago, and I have literally found nothing of what I have searched for. They don't even have Silence of the Lambs on there. I don't know how it works, if movies are added all the time or whatever, but as of now, I'm disappointed.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:02 pm 

I have a strong dislike for Netflix. It has just become available in my country, Denmark, and I fear that it will completely drown out all physical sales of DVDs and Blurays

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:10 pm 

Canadian Netflix is pretty shit. Beyond a few obvious movies (and ignoring all the good ones) it has a truly bad selection. Especially their horror section.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:55 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Canadian Netflix is pretty shit.

Yup, it's pretty lame. My family has a subscription and I haven't gone on in a few months. What really pisses me off is sometimes they'll have the first few seasons of a show but not the rest. They have a few good movies, but they also have a seemingly never ending stream of shit ones. I think it would be worth it to get Netflix for maybe 3 months (In Canada) but after that you'll run out of shit.

Also, I am very displeased that they deleted intervention off Netflix.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 pm 

my friend let me use his netflix on my xbox as we have it in our frontroom. Looked for trailer park boys earlier and it wasn't there. Wouldn't midn giving those another run through.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next