Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:09 am 

Hellveto released their newest album a couple of weeks ago, so I figured I'd start a discussion on it. My copy just arrived a few days in the mail, and so far I like what I've heard (but I love everything they've put out). It's a great deal more aggressive than Wiara, Nadzieja..., Potepienie, though it does have it's more introspective moments. My initial impression is that it's as if Zmierzch and Od Południa na Północ... had a baby.

Has anybody heard the album yet?

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:17 am 

I've only briefly heard one sample from the album. I ordered my copy from Poland last week and I'm really looking forward to hearing it. The last album had some nice touches that I hadn't heard from Hellveto before and I am interested to see if it goes anywhere.

Would you say it's more aggressive than Neoheresy?

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm 

I've only given the album one complete listen and a couple of fragmented spins here and there, but it does sound more aggressive than Neoheresy to me. The production is much more lively so it has a much more in-your-face feel to it as well.

It's also among the longest Hellveto albums, at around 53 minutes long. Lots to take in.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 pm 

battle_axes wrote:
It's also among the longest Hellveto albums, at around 53 minutes long. Lots to take in.

That's good to hear. The last few Hellveto albums (since Neoheresy, at least) have all been around the 30-40 minute range (if you don't count the second disc of Wiara,...), which I felt to be kind of short for this kind of music. I'm glad I didn't wait two years for a 32 minute album.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:50 pm 

Wow, just got my copy of Damnaretis today, and it's pretty amazing judging by my first listen. You were right; I would call this the most aggressive Hellveto album, without a doubt. All of the elements of past albums are there, but the guitars and drums seem to be louder in the mix than usual and they're each played more aggressively than in the past. The vocals are also more deep and gutteral, though they vary between growled, shrieked, shouted, and sung like before. It sounds like the extra time L.O.N. spent on this album wasn't wasted. It will be a while before I can form a solid opinion on it, but my first impression (as a longtime fan of this project) is very good. It hasn't strayed too far from the formula, but continues to perfect it.

Reply to topic