Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 pm 

That's right, everyone's love-to-hate-'em tech trio apparently found a new drummer (the guy from 7000 Dying Rats and Flying Luttenbachers), and they've recorded a new album! And that album is set to come out October 23rd!

Here's the release from their current label, Blackmarket Activities:
Quote:
Behold the Arctopus returns with new album and new lineup
Sep 6, 2012
BEHOLD THE ARCTOPUS return with new album and new lineup

Black Market Activities presents the long-awaited return of Behold the Arctopus, pioneers in the field of extreme, progressive music. Marking the start of a new era for the band, Behold the Arctopus’ second full-length, Horrorscension, is set for an October 23rd release.

In the five years since their last album, Skullgrid, much has transpired in the Behold the Arctopus camp. 12-string Warr guitarist Colin Marston expanded his musical outlets, founding avant-black metal band Krallice and joining progressive death metal legends Gorguts. In addition to his playing, Marston increased his output as a recording engineer, helping create albums for such artists as Kayo Dot, Orthrelm, Jarboe, and Altar of Plagues. Original drummer Charlie Zeleny departed, to be replaced by the prolific Weasel Walter, renowned for his long-running band The Flying Luttenbachers and his widespread collaborations in the free jazz, noise, and metal genres.

Horrorscension is the inaugural release of the new Behold the Arctopus lineup -- Marston, Walter, and unholy shredder Mike Lerner on guitar. (In the spirit of defining Horrorscension as the beginning of a new era for the band, the ellipsis [“...”] has been officially removed from the band name.)

In crafting Horrorscension, Behold the Arctopus employed their signature method of composing the music in written form before ever playing it. Marston elaborates: “Since our music is written down and then learned, like classical music, we're never actually building songs based on our playing ability. It’s very different from jamming out a bunch of riffs.”

Horrorscension showcases Behold the Arctopus’ jaw-dropping, complex music, delivered with a raw, visceral attack -- something closer to punk than to the antiseptic sound of music school perfectionism that is all too common amongst young technical bands. Widely regarded as a band of virtuosos, Marston, Walter, and Lerner are quick to separate themselves from the showboaters. Says Marston: “I accept that the music is not for a general audience and that musicians are more likely to relate to it due to the density, but I see a huge difference between this band and say, Yngwie Malmsteen or Dream Theater or anyone who really wants you to notice how proficient they are. I would love it if, when people hear Horrorscension, they think ‘Whoa, what the hell is going on?’ rather than ‘Wow, they can play their instruments well.’ I want the focus to be on the content, not the performance.”

Horrorscension was recorded, mixed, and mastered by Marston at his The Thousand Caves studio in Queens, NY. The cover art is once again by longtime Behold the Arctopus collaborator Terry Grow.

Check out “Disintegore”, the opening track off Horrorscension, on Behold the Arctopus’s official online merch store, along with the album pre-order:

http://www.indiemerch.com/beholdthearctopus

facebook.com/beholdthearctopus

beholdthearctopus.bandcamp.com
curranreynolds.com

And the link directly to the song on soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/bmarecords/behold ... isintegore

So it sounds a bit riffier than Skullgrid, and the drumming style has definitely shifted to be a bit noisier than Charlie's super-sterile sound, but the core of the band is still the same. Which means I fully expect most of you here to hate it. But hey, even if you don't like their music, at least they dropped the stupid ellipsis from the band name, right? Truth be told, I enjoy their music, and I'm happy to see a return. Between Colin's activities with Krallice and Gorguts and the recording stuff he's been doing, plus with Charlie deciding to go the professional-session-drummer route, I wasn't sure we'd ever see a proper followup to Skullgrid. Plus, I like Colin. He's a pretty cool guy, just a little weird since he's an academic music nerd first and a metal head second.

So yeah, I'm pretty hyped. Now let the hate start flowing!

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:48 pm 

here's another track from the new album if you haven't already heard it...

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2012/09 ... sentience/

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:45 am 

Ribos wrote:
So it sounds a bit riffier than Skullgrid

That it does, with also a thousand more blast beats!

That said, I listened to both tracks and they're both quite good. I was a fan of Skullgrid and I was wondering what had happened to this band. I think I will be picking this one up next month.

Ribos wrote:
at least they dropped the stupid ellipsis from the band name, right?

Haha, agreed!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:27 am 

Ribos wrote:
just a little weird since he's an academic music nerd first and a metal head second.

I think that's often the case with these uber-technical bands! :P

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:39 am 

I like most of Colin's projects (Krallice and Dysrhythmia in particular), but BTA was something I have never quite been able to wrap my head around. Gotta revisit them a few times.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am 

Been a big fan of Weasel Walter (the new drummer) for a long time, can't wait to hear this. Guy's got the energy of J Read.

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 pm 

I heard the album and I definitely like it. Although I'm a fan of Behold the Arctopus so take that as you will.

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:58 pm 

People hate Behold the Arctopus?

Orbliis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:05 pm 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:

They did an infamous guitar mag video showcase a few years ago. Most of the hate for them stems from that.

I wouldn't know of the opinions here obviously...

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:58 pm 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:

Considering that they're the epitome of everything that a lot of people dislike about technical death metal, of course they're widely disliked. I personally can't stand 30 seconds of them, or Brain Drill, or Necrophagist, or any of that ilk.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:04 pm 

I love them and I remember them from back on MP3.com when they were called 'we need a drummer' and their songs were 'we need a drummer #1' and 'we still need a drummer' I remember checking back some months later or so and it was then they had found a drummer and picked a name. Enjoyed ever since. big fan of Weasel Walter from his work in The Flying Luttenbachers and Hatewave

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:28 pm 

Orbliis wrote:
ApparatusUnearth wrote:

They did an infamous guitar mag video showcase a few years ago. Most of the hate for them stems from that.

Sounds hilarious. Details? Or perhaps google is my friend...

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:39 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM

Feast your ears.

Like Woolie_Wool said, this band pretty much sums up everything wrong with tech death today.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:12 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
Like Woolie_Wool said, this band pretty much sums up everything wrong with tech death today.

They're a death metal band? :scratch:

I WANT NEW GORGUTS

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:31 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
ApparatusUnearth wrote:

Considering that they're the epitome of everything that a lot of people dislike about technical death metal, of course they're widely disliked. I personally can't stand 30 seconds of them, or Brain Drill, or Necrophagist, or any of that ilk.

Is that what people are referring to when they describe music like that as wank?

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:51 pm 

Yes. In fact, Behold the Arctopus are the distilled essence of musical wank juices. They sound like Crazybus with guitars.

(Warning: Crazybus' music may cause physical pain and seizures upon listening.)

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:09 am 

Oh by the way to everyone calling them tech death.... No. You have to at least have some vocals to even be considered. It's technical instrumentals it's more in the line of old Hella, or Orthrelm.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:11 am 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:

Welcome to MA!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:33 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Oh by the way to everyone calling them tech death.... No. You have to at least have some vocals to even be considered. It's technical instrumentals it's more in the line of old Hella, or Orthrelm.

Since when are vocals definitive of a genre? There are death metal bands with clean vocals and non-death metal bands with death growls.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:37 am 

Yeah, but it's kind of obvious that BTA aren't a death metal band.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:39 am 

Indecency probably considers all of deathcore to be death metal too, based on his past incarnation.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:33 am 

Odovacar wrote:
I heard the album and I definitely like it. Although I'm a fan of Behold the Arctopus so take that as you will.

It leaked?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 am 

Weasel Walter is in the band? I am interested now.

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:57 am 

I don't mind wank, you just have to appreciate it as a technical showcase, not great songwriting.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:09 pm 

Dragunov wrote:

They could be, but I've never listened to them and they're not a part of my argument.

Metantoine wrote:
Indecency probably considers all of deathcore to be death metal too, based on his past incarnation.

Just because I like some deathcore, doesn't mean everything I involve myself in I try to relate to deathcore, and doesn't mean you have to keep bringing up deathcore when I'm around. It's really getting old.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:39 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Yes. In fact, Behold the Arctopus are the distilled essence of musical wank juices. They sound like Crazybus with guitars.

(Warning: Crazybus' music may cause physical pain and seizures upon listening.)

There is a part of me that legitimately enjoyed that music. I do not know what this says about me or my musical tastes.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:09 pm 

Indecency wrote:
They could be, but I've never listened to them and they're not a part of my argument

EDIT: my head is full of fuck

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:21 pm 

Yea how can you even make an argument about some band's music esp if you have never listened to them. You come across sounding like an idiot and tony brings up a good point on now why we should just avoid your comments all together.

Also all clean singing death metal= not death metal. But who knows you probably haven't listened to any of those bands you are trying use as a point in your 'argument'

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:06 am 

Indecency wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

They could be, but I've never listened to them and they're not a part of my argument.

what the hell is the point of spewing your opinion out of your ass when its not even related to the topic?
As for Behold The Arctopus, I see them as the prime example of wasteful use of knowledge.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:15 am 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:
I don't mind wank, you just have to appreciate it as a technical showcase, not great songwriting.

The best wank is the kind that can be utilized in a very well written song and still sound fantastic. ;) Not so good wank is the kind where you do it just 'cause you feel the need to display just how technically proficient you are. Also known as narcissism. Look ma! I'm playing legato with my penis! This kind of stuff should be kept to your bedroom, since it's obvious you're trying to show that ladyfriend of yours how fast your fingers can move. (I don't use the word "your" as an implication of you, by the way.)

Anyway, as far as this topic goes, I never could understand why anyone could get into this kind of stuff. It's like Animals As Leaders but totally incomprehensible. There's a complete lack of flair in this style, as far as I'm concerned.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 am 

Here's an interview with Colin:
http://nefariousrealm.com/homenew/?p=11004

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
ApparatusUnearth wrote:

that's weird, i certainly wouldn't describe behold... as death metal, nor do i really see any similarity to necrophagist; i tend to think of them more as "blotted science without any decent songwriting"

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:29 pm 

Personally, I think the reason they get so much hate is due to the "tech-noise" undercurrent of the band. They're much too noisy and dissonant to be enjoyed by most fans of technical metal, but they're too prog-nerdy to appeal to noise/grind fans. So who DO they appeal to? Crazy people, I guess. Music school nerds looking for cathartic material? Probably. Free-range farm chickens? Might be worth investigating.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:55 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea how can you even make an argument about some band's music esp if you have never listened to them. You come across sounding like an idiot and tony brings up a good point on now why we should just avoid your comments all together.

Also all clean singing death metal= not death metal. But who knows you probably haven't listened to any of those bands you are trying use as a point in your 'argument'

If you would read someone else's post for once in your life, you would have noticed that no where in my earlier post was I talking about Behold the Arctopus. My post was meant only for you about your remark about how music without growls makes it not death metal. There is still instrumental death metal and there is death metal with cleans. Your high post count, old registration date, and condescending and rude attitude doesn't make you right.

DeathspellDelta wrote:
=what the hell is the point of spewing your opinion out of your ass when its not even related to the topic?=

I wasn't talking to you, only Shaolin. And what spews out of my ass my own private matter.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:04 am 

Weasel Walter being in this is actually pretty awesome, I've seen him perform live twice in a jazz trio. He does some pretty crazy shit on the drums.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:49 am 

I am really stoked for this release it has been 5 years.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:50 pm 

from Weasel Walter:
Quote:
exclusive live-in-studio footage of behold the arctopus playing two songs off our upcoming album plus a terrible version of some new material:

http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/1 ... rsentience

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

that sounds awesome, looking forward to this even more now.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:53 am 

oh great... the spinal tap of Tech death are back. These guys are ridiculous (in a funny ha-ha way)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:46 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
oh great... the spinal tap of Tech death are back. These guys are ridiculous (in a funny ha-ha way)

I take it you have neither seen Spinal Tap nor heard BTA.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next