Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:44 pm 

The artwork is killer, and seeing the art with the band name... it now works for me. Don't care if it's on CM will buy it regardless. Can't wait to hear a track.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:45 pm 

expecting nothing but awesomeness, can't imagine it won't be.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am 

[waits patiently for first preview track]

[dies]

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 am 

http://www.rockhard.de/megazine/praesen ... ngers.html

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:06 pm 

The first two minutes sound a little too much like recent Asphyx. Not inherently a bad thing, but I was hoping for something more akin to The Rack/Last One on Earth. It gets more interesting after two minutes though. :)

And who knows how representative this track is. First track shown to the public off Deathhammer was the title track, which probably is the fastest, most straight-forward song on the album. Maybe something similar is the case here.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:18 pm 

I thought the same thing, drone. First half of the song could've been on Deathhammer or DTBW, but then it gets a little more interesting with the slower melodic riff. The faster riff is a bit "choppier" than a normal Asphyx riff, which is cool. Still pretty stoked about the album.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 pm 

It sounds a lot like Asphyx, but a bit punchier, more percussive than they have been. It certainly has the mark of the guys who made it, a bit of HoB, lots of Asphyx.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:51 pm 

The band declared that this would not be a nod to Asphyx, etc. and I now find that laughable. This sounds every bit of an Asphyx/Hail Of Bullets hybrid. Fortunately, that is a rock-solid formula and signature sound that is really like candy to this death metal fan. However, I'll be interested to hear more. I've been hoping for a bit more originality. Some distinction from those other two of sorts but if this song is any indication...well that's not happening. It's good but man half those riffs are straight off the last two HoB albums (but varied) and the last two Asphyx albums (but varied). Ordered Eastward's bridge/chorus section, anyone? Harmonized melody parts? Check.

Of course, I probably shouldn't have expected anything different and maybe the first track is the most 'accessible' for promotional purposes? All that said it's good shit and I will listen and enjoy it. Hail Of Bullets is one of my absolute favorite bands so another band's knockoff riffs (however genuine) maybe just initially rub me the wrong way to a small degree. I do like the structure and punch of the riffing which does stand out (as mentioned by Zodijackyl above) and clearly this is a pro group that gets it done. Expectations are high and I'm still hoping for more, as of yet.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:59 pm 

The Grand Deathhammer of Bullets™.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:12 pm 

This was quite good. As others have said though, it's pretty much a straight-up mix of HOB and Asphyx. I don't think that's bad. Their vocalist is Van Drunen right? Cause if it isn't, this guy is doing everything he can to sound like him.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:31 pm 

Great Asphyx song... erh, I mean... ahm... :scratch:

I'm interested in see how the rest of the album will differentiate itself from the typical sound we already know.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:47 pm 

It's not exactly what I wanted but this is perfect. Will gladly purchase.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:01 am 

Fuck so good. I want.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:21 pm 

Unimpressed. These guys are really milking it.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:14 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
Unimpressed. These guys are really milking it.

Agree.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 pm 

It was decent alright but I'm kinda dissapointed. However I do really love the crushing riff at around 02:30.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:26 pm 

Decent if you enjoy the style. I don't find it remarkable though.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 pm 

FUCK YES MORE OF THE SAME
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 am 

Awesome, bring on more of the good shit. On a side note, it's kind of funny that four people happened to give the song slightly negative reactions, and then ENKC jumps in with the, "YEAH MOTHERFUCKERS SO GOOD WOO!" Hahaha.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 am 

I just find it funny that some people expected anything different than what came out, I personally thought it would be a bit doomier but wasn't surprised to hear it being more standard fair of excellent death metal by seasoned pros.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:59 am 

What I expected certainly wasn't that the first half of the song they released would sound like Paul Baayens wrote it. That's my main complaint here. I was expecting a continuation of the killer riffs Eric Daniels delivered on this last two records, Soulburn & On the Wings of Inferno. But as I said, I like the song, it just isn't Daniels-y enough for me for half its duration.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 am 

droneriot wrote:
What I expected certainly wasn't that the first half of the song they released would sound like Paul Baayens wrote it. That's my main complaint here. I was expecting a continuation of the killer riffs Eric Daniels delivered on this last two records, Soulburn & On the Wings of Inferno. But as I said, I like the song, it just isn't Daniels-y enough for me for half its duration.

My thoughts exactly droneriot, I need to hear more of those crushing Daniels slow riffs! But I do like it all the same. On a side note you guys every check out Decaying? The vocalist uses two different death metal styles when singing but one of them is identical to Martin V D, he pulls it off the best I have heard yet. They remind me quite a bit of Asphyx and HoB.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:59 am 

STORMM wrote:
droneriot wrote:

My thoughts exactly droneriot, I need to hear more of those crushing Daniels slow riffs! But I do like it all the same. On a side note you guys every check out Decaying? The vocalist uses two different death metal styles when singing but one of them is identical to Martin V D, he pulls it off the best I have heard yet. They remind me quite a bit of Asphyx and HoB.

I've heard their newest album. Doesn't tread any new ground nor has any remarkable aspects, at least in my book. It's OSDM by the book that will please some fans and make others say "Oh look, more OSDM!" so it can go either way.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 am 

droneriot wrote:

I agree and tried to say as much in my post, as well. Perhaps there will be more song and riff diversity as we hear more of the album, but even if not this will be just fine to listen to, if not a challenge that includes much innovation. It's still very good material, just not as unique as I would have liked.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:58 pm 

androdion wrote:
I've heard their newest album. Doesn't tread any new ground nor has any remarkable aspects, at least in my book. It's OSDM by the book that will please some fans and make others say "Oh look, more OSDM!" so it can go either way.

Quite true androdion, they dont rewrite the book but I find them enjoyable all the same. The album is maybe a bit to long though as I said it is the vocalist who impresses me the most, as I love Van Drunen's style. I think they would benifit alot from a thicker guitar sound and production. I believe the new album is due out towards the end of the year so we will have to wait and see.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 am 

i dont think it sounds that much like newer Asphyx or hail of bullets. Its mostly typical example of the dutch groovy death metal sound. The drums are too repetitive for my taste however. it doesnt sound as insanely catchy as deathhammer(the song) did. It however comes across better now than during my first listen.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:32 pm 

Never get bored of anything by Aspyhx or Hail of Bullets, especially if it involves Martin van Drunen.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:03 pm 

Track listing and North American album pre-order link (below):

Track-list:
CD
1. All Rise!
2. Bow Down Before The Blood Court
3. There Shall Be No Acquittance
4. Veredictum Sanguis
5. Behead The Defence
6. Grand Justice, Grand Pain
7. Fed To The Boars
8. Circus Of Mass Torment
9. Public Castration
10. Piled Up For The Scavangers
11. ... And THus The Billions Shall Burn

http://www.cmdistro.com/Search/grand_supreme_blood_court

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:43 pm 

I like the debut track a lot.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

AuditaTremendi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 am 

I will end up buying it and hopefully will enjoy it. Eric Daniels is,after all,the guy that created the monstrous riffs on the old songs. The song they released is nothing special i.m.o and sounds like more Asphyx and Hail Of Bullets,especially with Van Drunen (yet again) on vocals. I wish they would've used another vocalist. Van Drunen has a strong voice,he's original,he's awesome,instantly recognizable... and yet....after 3 or 4 songs i get bored and exhausted with him these days. His best jobs were on the 2 Pestilence albums and the first Asphyx. The best Asphyx album will always remain "Embrace the Death" with Theo Loomans on vocals. He was the real Asphyx singer,my favorite. The dark atmosphere,vocals and production are perfect for the doomy/death Asphyx style. The haunting intro bring you instantly in the right mood. Oh. And the Soulburn cd is another great "Asphyx" album with great riffs from Daniels. :D

Edit. The very good Horrendous cd "The Chills" has several tracks where the vocalist does a great Van Drunen interpretation. Check these yankees out,they play a mix of european and
american DM. I find their debut better than the last releases from my countrymates Asphyx and Bullets.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:35 pm 

AuditaTremendi wrote:
I will end up buying it and hopefully will enjoy it. Eric Daniels is,after all,the guy that created the monstrous riffs on the old songs. The song they released is nothing special i.m.o and sounds like more Asphyx and Hail Of Bullets,especially with Van Drunen (yet again) on vocals. I wish they would've used another vocalist. Van Drunen has a strong voice,he's original,he's awesome,instantly recognizable... and yet....after 3 or 4 songs i get bored and exhausted with him these days. His best jobs were on the 2 Pestilence albums and the first Asphyx. The best Asphyx album will always remain "Embrace the Death" with Theo Loomans on vocals. He was the real Asphyx singer,my favorite. The dark atmosphere,vocals and production are perfect for the doomy/death Asphyx style. The haunting intro bring you instantly in the right mood. Oh. And the Soulburn cd is another great "Asphyx" album with great riffs from Daniels. :D

Edit. The very good Horrendous cd "The Chills" has several tracks where the vocalist does a great Van Drunen interpretation. Check these yankees out,they play a mix of european and
american DM. I find their debut better than the last releases from my countrymates Asphyx and Bullets.

I didn't care for Horrendous "The Chills", but keep hearing people talk about it. I think I'll give it yet another listen.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:09 pm 

Samples of each song on new album here:

http://www.amazon.de/Bow-Down-Before-Bl ... ef=mb_oe_o

And may I say HOLY FUCK....I'm excited, though this formula is ear candy, really.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:15 am 

My enthusiasm is dampened further by those samples. Really sounds like more of the same, like they're just milking the Asphyx/HoB formula to death. I had really hoped for Eric Daniels' master riff crafting abilities to shine through, but in those samples none of the riffs presented are anywhere near the quality he has delivered in the past. Meh. Maybe the whole songs will be better. Until then, I'm very skeptical of this project. :|

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:43 pm 

Sounds like a less impressive Deathhammer to me. But I will still give it a chance.

Last.fm

DraakUla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:09 pm 

My copy of the album arrived today. Haven't listened to it yet, but I'm sure it's awesome

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:26 am 

Anything that has got Martin van Drunen is an instant favourite

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:38 am 

Another song: http://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/08-c ... ss-torment

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:49 am 

I like this song a whole lot more than I liked most of Deathhammer that's for sure. Anything van Drunen does definitely has that signature sound though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:54 am 

2nd track sounds fucking awesome.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:18 pm 

Eehhh Ahhhhh OOOhh Ah...
I'm going to blame this all on Dan Swano, I absolutely fucking hate the way Death The Brutal Way, Deathhammer and both Hail of Bullets albums sound. It just sounds like shit.

I have Last One On Earth and The Rack, everything else is all the best bits from those two albums rearranged in different order. I never thought I'd be completely uninterested in any new output from this camp but the four albums mentioned above I bought and NEVER listen to. This sounds just as uninteresting, if these guys just focused on one good thought out album every 4/5 years instead of putting out a glut of similar sounding shit so they can ride festival waves and not work day jobs then maybe there would be something worth hearing. Just get old Asphyx and move on, there's a more unknown struggling band out there that deserves some attention somewhere. Hell I'd say go for Horrendous - The Chills instead.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next