19/09/2012 NY - Buffalo Club Infinity
20/09/2012 PA - Reading Reverb
21/09/2012 VA - Springfield Empire
22/09/2012 NY - New York City Gramercy Theater
23/09/2012 MA - Worcester Palladium

MMartini75
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:05 pm 

oops...last band is Metsatoll not toli....they are from Estonia.

Can one of the mods correct the subject and then delete this post? thanks

HaggardBastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 am 

!!!IUNiduf(*$94uhgiurngfkuN!!!!JUN!IUNOFINBLAGGGGGIUNUNV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's coming to Denver!!!!!! Holy freakin' god! I love three out of four of those bands (exception being Korpiklaani, who sucks hard). Tyr and Moonsorrow are absolute gods to me, and I just recently discovered Metsatoll, whose latest, Ulg, is seriously excellent. I never go see shows anymore because I'm an old man with an all-consuming day job - besides, music appreciation has become far too personal for me to want to share it with anybody but myself - but this is happening.

I. Can't. Fucking. Wait. For. This.

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:11 pm 

I'd love to go. I saw Moonsorrow a couple years ago when they came to town and it was a pretty good show. I'll be at the Tempe show.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:08 am 

Edited the thread title as it appears Korpiklaani is the headliner.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:10 am 

A bit too expensive for me and I dislike the headliner, I'll wait for another Moonsorrow headlining tour and I'll go see Altar of Plagues instead.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

HaggardBastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 am 

I just got back from this in Denver at the Marquis, and for those who are interested: go see it. Seriously. It was only $20 for me.

Given the size of the venue (really small) and the size of the audience (on the small side, probably 200, maybe 250 people max), you wouldn't think that these bands would receive a terribly warm reception, but this was one of the wilder shows I've been to in some time, up there with Celtic Frost and Slayer (!). I mean, the people of Denver apparently love their (real) metal, which came as a surprise to me, being a transplant. I'm sore already, and the show was so energetic that I'm going to be hating my body and life come the morning. Ville from Moonsorrow - the frontman - told us all that we were easily in the top ten audiences that he'd ever seen as far as showing our appreciation, and while he may very well say that to every good crowd, I'm choosing to buy it.

I just barely missed Metsatoll, who I really, really wanted to see, but got to talk with all of them, and they were by far the most approachable band on the tour. They were even selling their own merch, and were incredibly grateful and down-to-earth guys who seemed simply happy to be there and talking with fans, even if only some of them spoke English.

Tyr, who were the one band I was absolutely intent on seeing, played so goddamn pitch-perfect that you'd have thought you were listening to a recording. However, they only played material from the last two albums, By the Light... and The Lay of Thrym with the exception of 'Sinklars Visa' from Land, which disappointed me a great deal as my favorites from them are Ragnarok and Eric the Red. This must be because they assume that American audiences are largely unfamiliar with the first four records, but they only had about 40 minutes as it were because of the number of bands on the bill. Still, they were absolutely the highlight for me.

Moonsorrow are downright stellar live, but, due to the lengths of most of their songs and again to time constraints, were only able to play a handful of songs, and were again heavy on newer material. If you haven't seen them live and you're a fan, I highly recommend that you do as their material comes off as utterly trance-inducing. They also take the stage covered in fake blood and (light) corpsepaint, and are all dynamic performers.

I'm not a Korpiklaani fan. I've tried to get into them, but they're just too silly for my tastes. Still, they definitely whip an audience into a frenzy, and they certainly out-perform all of the other bands on the bill whether I like it or not: Jonne Järvelä is one of the most talented frontmen that I've seen in a long time. I'll be honest, though: i only watched about a quarter of the set and spent the rest of the time talking with members of the aforementioned three bands, all of whom where very nice and polite - Moonsorrow, Metsatoll - if not outright chatty and hilarious - Tyr, Metsatoll again. The keyboardist from Moonsorrow's jaw literally dropped when I commented on his (old, haggard) Beherit shirt, as if having it recognized was the last thing he'd been expecting.

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:00 pm 

I was there too, and I thought Korpiklaani was definitely the best band of the night. But, maybe that's because I arrived halfway through Tyr's set :grr: and was in the back during Moonsorrow's, whereas I was right up by the stage during Korpiklaani's. But, yeah, I definitely agree it was one of the better concerts I've been to. That being said, I've only been to two, so maybe I'm just impressed easily :-D

CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:30 pm 

I went to their concert last night in Billings, MT. First metal concert I've been to (Montana isn't exactly #1 on bands' lists). It was really awesome. It was a small crowd, but there was a lot of personal interaction between the bands and the audience.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:17 pm 

Thinking about heading to the Reading show. Sucks I have work that day, and then the morning after. It's only a 3 1/2 drive though, which isn't terrible!

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 pm 

I'm gonna try to go to the VA show at the Empire, my friends saw Korpiklaani & Tyr a few years ago and they said the show was a lot of fun.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Mushbil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:47 pm 

I'm going to see them tomorrow night in Ramona, which will be my first metal show ever. And judging by these posts I'd going to leave a wonderful first impression on me.

vanadiis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:45 am 

It's here on Saturday, but I've no $$. :(

WitchCraft
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:26 pm 

analog_winter wrote:
I'm gonna try to go to the VA show at the Empire, my friends saw Korpiklaani & Tyr a few years ago and they said the show was a lot of fun.

I'll be there too. I don't really care about Korpiklaani but I'm definitely excited about Tyr and Moonsorrow, I've never seen them live before.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:08 pm 

I saw them in Buffalo last night. Freaking incredible show, one of the best evenings of my life (though I don't get out much, so take that with a grain of salt).

All of the bands were excellent. I was a little disappointed with Moonsorrow's mix, only because the guitars were so incredibly loud that I could barely hear the vocals, and I couldn't hear the keyboards at all. Still, even with only being able to hear guitars, drums, and the occasional scream, it was still awesome. They mostly stuck with the new album (which is fine by me, because I love it), but, unexpectedly, they played "Sankaritarina" from their second album, without a doubt one of my top 5 Moonsorrow tracks. And they encouraged the crowd (well, basically commanded the crowd) to sing along with the choral parts. This was my highlight of the evening.

I'm a big fan of Tyr and Metsatoll as well, so being able to see all of these bands in one place was like a dream, and they were all pitch-perfect. Metsatoll's folk instruments player/throat singing guy has some great energy on-stage and is a really nice guy as well. I'm a fan of Korpiklaani, though not as much as I am of the other bands, but they certainly won me over a bit with a lot of energy, crowd interaction, and overall friendliness. They seemed to be greatly enjoying themselves, and Jonne didn't let something like a broken finger keep him from jumping all over the stage, dancing with a few females, and even walking along a partition wall that jutted out into the crowd.

All in all, it was about as perfect an evening as I've had in a while. Lots of positive energy and great fans.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:45 am 

I just got back from the Springfield show and it was fun as hell! I got there kinda late and ended up missing Metsatoll which kinda sucks, but the other three bands were amazing. My friend (who was dressed in his 18th century reenactor's costume) ended up getting on stage and doing a jig during Korpiklaani's encore.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:21 pm 

analog_winter wrote:
I just got back from the Springfield show and it was fun as hell! I got there kinda late and ended up missing Metsatoll which kinda sucks, but the other three bands were amazing. My friend (who was dressed in his 18th century reenactor's costume) ended up getting on stage and doing a jig during Korpiklaani's encore.
Haha I remember that. The concert rocked. It is too bad you were late. Burning Shadows, Yesterday's Saints, and Metsatoll all put on a killer show.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:49 pm 

Slag wrote:
analog_winter wrote:
Haha I remember that. The concert rocked. It is too bad you were late. Burning Shadows, Yesterday's Saints, and Metsatoll all put on a killer show.

Yeah, I'm rather bummed about missing Metsatoll, but all the other bands killed it, so that was cool. The Korpiklaani set was such a party.

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 am 

I also went to the Empire/Jaxx show for Tyr and Moonsorrow. I caught Tyr's last 1 1/2 songs because I had to work until 8. I came into the concert hall singing along to "By The Sword In My Hand" :-D. I was a bit disappointed that I missed their set because I use to love these guys a couple of years ago. However, I've already seen them on every tour that they've done in the US so far and I'm sure they'll be coming over many more times in the future. I can only imagine good things to come with their new partnership with Metal Blade. Moonsorrow were just as awesome as the two other times that I've seen them. It would be great if they could come over for a headlining tour though. No party folkers allowed :-P. I picked up a copy of their latest album (finally), even though I already knew that Century Media is planning to release it for North American distribution soon. The two songs they played from the album sounded great.

Reply to topic