Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jimrat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:21 am 

...to somehow collate all of the average review scores for albums on the archives in such a way that they are ordered by most highly rated and presented in a list?

So if you wanted to find out, for example, the most highly rated album on the whole archives (for whatever reason), you could do so?

Obviously there will be countless albums with the same average score, but they could be ordered in the context of how many people have reviewed them to provide that average, so that for example an album with an average score of 100% spread over 3 reviews would rank higher than an album with an average score of 100% spread over 2 reviews.

I am pretty terrible at maths / stats, so I'm not sure how this could actually be done. Originally I thought it could be done by multiplying the average score by the amount of reviewers to get a number, and the album with the highest of that number would rank number 1 and the list would descend in that fashion. But I don't think that would work because it means that an album that has loads of terrible reviews could potentially rank higher than an album with only a couple of really good reviews. For example, The Unspoken King would have a score of 240, which would rank it the same as some album that has an average of 80% from 3 reviews... That surely wouldn't make any sense!

However, I am sure there is some way that this could be done, with some sort of weighting being attached to the average based on how many people have reviewed it.

This is just a thought and obviously would be very impractical if it required manually collating every review on the archives, but if the numbers were already recorded as statistics then it would be easier. Anyway, just a thought.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:54 am 

This should cover most of your statistical needs.

Jimrat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:50 am 

Interesting! Thanks for that.

Looks like it was calculated in not a dissimilar manner to my suggested formula, except a good bit more sophisticated.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.