Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:22 pm 

Seconding the Morbid Saint rec. Definitely the true, spiritual successor to PtK.

Other bands that practice scarily intense thrash metal include Minotaur, Assorted Heap, Protector, Massacra (NOT Massacre), Aggression (Can), early Invocator, Devastation, Slaughter (Can), Torture, Epidemic, Merciless, Necrodeath and Insanity.

lifelessworlds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:04 am 

Thanks guys!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:37 pm 

Any stuff out there similar to Metallica's And Justice for All?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:49 pm 

colin040 wrote:

You might want to check out Tantara from Sweden. Their debut album Based on Evil just came out and it's a bit of a riff-fest like that album is. Different vocally, but still appropriate for thrash. Produced by Flemming Rasmussen, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ppaV8P ... ature=plcp

This album and Vindicator's United We Fall have been my favorite of the younger revivalist thrash bands this year.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:58 pm 

lifelessworlds wrote:
Can anyone recommend similar albums to Kreator's Pleasure to Kill? I want some real dirty, fast, heavy thrash, growls welcome.

Forgot this one which is total PtK worship.

Deathraiser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amFZny9A ... re=related

TommyTheRipper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:33 am 

Hi, I'm looking for some Thrash metal but in some particular style. Fast tracks definitely but with not too strong percussion (fast and swift). Something like:
Destroyer 666 - Satanic Speed Metal
Bongripper - Terrible Bear Attack
Slayer - Snuff

Please don't suggest any Slayer, Kreator, Sodom, Exodus and Destruction songs because I know all their stuff well :) Something more "underground" maybe...

Man, those were the days.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 am 

It's often my answer, but here it is again:

Sacrifice (Can)

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:35 am 

colin040 wrote:

Listen to Heathen - Victims Of Deception NOW!!!

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:32 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:

Sacrifice (Can)

Might have to check them out! Are you into Deathammer at all?

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:16 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Definetely Evile´s Five Serpents Teeth. Awesome album, right in the middle of AJFA and The Black Album but with some more agressive stuff trown in.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:51 pm 

Hi all, I'm looking for something similar to Dark Angel's Darkness Descends - hard, fast thrash bordering on proto-death metal. I've only just discovered that album, but I adore it beyond words.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:01 pm 

Dux_Saxoniae wrote:
Hi all, I'm looking for something similar to Dark Angel's Darkness Descends - hard, fast thrash bordering on proto-death metal. I've only just discovered that album, but I adore it beyond words.

I wrote this on the last page. Pretty much all of these should be of interest to you.
AcidWorm wrote:
For fast and dirty thrash like Pleasure to Kill check out Hypnosia, Eternal Devastation, Fastkill (though the vocals are crazy), and Avenger of Blood.

For just fast and dirty thrash but not so much PtK worship check out these; Num Skull, Agressor (Neverending Destiny), Morbid Saint, Schizo (Main Frame Collapse), Ripping Corpse, Incubus, Dark Angel (Darkness Descends), Possessed, and Carrion.

In my opinion Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death is the pinnacle of this kind of thrash. It is fast, dirty and aggressive with gravelly barks and very memorable riffs.

Some others I didn't list there.

Deathraiser (pleasure to Kill clone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amFZny9Ayas

Epidemic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUUWbBCb ... ure=relmfu

Sadus (Chemical Exposure album)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90bgtLRQ ... re=related

Kreator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J6uBiYT13U

Slayer (Reign in Blood)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHQKkD9ec

Demolition Hammer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrYHIkyp7j8

Sodom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLp-JgswVb4

Deathrow (early stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-g00uBzUuU

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:20 am 

slayer85 wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

Sacrifice (Can)

Might have to check them out! Are you into Deathammer at all?

Not particularly. Mostly just old-school thrash and various forms of death metal for me these days.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:06 pm 

Dux_Saxoniae wrote:

HYPNOSIA - Extreme Hatred

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:48 pm 

That's fantastic, guys, thanks a lot!

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:09 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Was about to post the same question, except that I'm looking for something similiar to that more in the terms of atmosphere, overall feel than direct musical similiarities (get it as broadening my request, not as that I don't want stuff more literally similiar). You know the not depressive, melancholic, but kind of bleak music, with lyrics focused on inner struggles, politics and society issues etc. Not the headbang inducing, fun type of thrash, not the more aggresive thrash with lyrical and musical focus on brutality. More examples would include Xentrix (For Whose Damage), Heathen, some Sacred Reich, maybe Forbidden, even certain Slayer songs on Seasons.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:02 pm 

For that type of mood listen to Watchtower's Control and Resistance.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 pm 

Totally in a crossover mood, anybody know any crossover bands with grind elements and an emphasis on speed?
Like if somebody had gun's to Nuclear Assault's head's and would kill them if they couldn't cover the entirety of Insect Warfare's tracks in half their actual run time?

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 pm 

Dux_Saxoniae wrote:

You've definitely got some great recs so far, but I have a couple to add:

Razor - Violent Restitution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Od709Y55s

Protector - Delirium Tremens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nFogfP-Bx4

Exhorder - Slaughter In the Vatican:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgLoFEU5mI8

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:02 pm 

I'm seeking a Groove/Thrash hybrid which sounds relentlessly aggressive and crushing, invoking feelings of fury and intense loathing. Guitar tone should be crunchy and full of thick riffs; production can be clean, but not sterile. Lyrics do not necessarily have to reflect such emotions (I'll get to that a little below), but try to imagine the soundtrack of two ill-tempered drunks brawling were you to mix out the vocals.

Take, for instance, Exhorder's Unforgiven. The song opens with roughly 30 seconds of pounding, groovy riffs before methodically slowing down to a consistent mid-paced rhythm. Before any sign of monotony sets in, the riffs kick into full gear interspersed with thrashy tremolo. Never once do the riffs, in either their groovy or thrashy sections, relent. Pure, raw power from introduction to conclusion. The opening track Soul Search Me follows a similar formula.

While I seek a Groove/Thrash hybrid, relentlessly crushing Groove works for me, too. Another band which fits into the paradigm I seek is Ripper-era Judas Priest. Blood Stained keeps a consistent tone with its mid-pace without losing power; even the occasional stops are minimal and do not distract. Vocals are relatively clean, so a furious, shouting vocalist isn't prerequisite. Bullet Train and Death Row are also fine examples.

As always, I always seem to encounter a recurring problem time and time again in my excursions into Groove Metal; stop-and-go chugging. I find an audible absence of riffage somewhat aggravating, and contrary to popular belief, it is not essential for the riffs to cease then pick up. Bottom line: MINIMAL stop-and-go chugging.

Bands I know of which more or less fit the ideal: Exhorder, Ripper-era Judas Priest, Pantera, White Zombie (to a much lesser extent)
Bands I know of which do NOT fit the ideal: Fear Factory, Sepultura, Devildriver, Souls at Zero, Full Circle, Prong, Lamb of God, Infectious Grooves

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 pm 

Overkill's groove era might do the trick for you. Particularly Necroshine, Bloodletting, Killbox 13, and ReliXIV. Through it all, they never lose their aggressive touch nor do they completely lose their thrashiness.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:19 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Overkill's groove era might do the trick for you. Particularly Necroshine, Bloodletting, Killbox 13, and ReliXIV. Through it all, they never lose their aggressive touch nor do they completely lose their thrashiness.

Will definitely check out at one point. Need to put Overkill into rotation a little more.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:29 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
I'm seeking a Groove/Thrash hybrid

Vendetta are a thrash band from the 80s and they came back with the album "Hate" which is very heavy groove/thrash that may interest you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty_-HXzXqyY

Machine Head has some stuff you may like though you are probably already familiar with them.

Davidian is the only song I like by them from what I have heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mWPPBW4DU8

Maybe Chaopshere? I like this album a lot though it may be a little too melodic for you. If you like them then check out Horrorscope also from Poland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdOum1t4AkA

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:30 am 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Will definitely check out at one point. Need to put Overkill into rotation a little more.

I have a few to add, but I'm not sure if they'll all be helpful. Testament had a few good groovy albums in Low and The Gathering, and despite the shit they get for it, Exodus' post reformation groove thrash albums have been enjoyable, especially Tempo of the Damned. Also check out Onslaught's Killing Piece, Ritual Carnage's The Birth of Tragedy, Speed Kill Hate's Acts of Insanity, and Vio-Lence's Oppressing the Masses. All of those fall on the thrash side of the thrash/groove equation, but do feature both elements. Also, they may be more proggy than what you're looking for, but Biomechanical is a pretty ridiculous and relentless progressive groove metal band, almost like a high speed hybrid of Pantera and Judas Priest with keyboards. Hope that helps.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Totally in a crossover mood, anybody know any crossover bands with grind elements and an emphasis on speed?
Like if somebody had gun's to Nuclear Assault's head's and would kill them if they couldn't cover the entirety of Insect Warfare's tracks in half their actual run time?

Definitely check out Ramming Speed if you're not familiar. I'd recommend their "Brainwreck" LP in particular for some great thrashing with some grind influences, you'll enjoy the song "Shane Embury is the Brad Pitt of Grindcore" especially.

You could also try my band, Spewtilator. We didn't incorporate grinding into every song we wrote but at least one song on each release has some pretty heavy grindcore influences and our side of the split with Death of Kings is pretty much all grindcore songs. Everything's on our bandcamp. I'd recommend the songs Cut the Shit, Spacebag, and Xanax Fury in particular.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:37 pm 

Giving Ramming Speed a listen now, very satisfying, also I'm already familiar with the amazing Spewtilator, which is to say amazing band, I still weep blood every time I read that Split-up on your MA page.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:12 pm 

Haha well thanks for the kind words man, much appreciated... it is a bummer that it's done but we've got some more new stuff that will be coming out so we're not quite dead yet, just no more shows and likely no new stuff past what we've already recorded.

We should have a split cassette with Coffin Dust, another 7", and a discography tape with audio from our last show and all our other recordings compiled coming out once we get the rest of the new tracks mastered... plus there's audio from at least 2 other shows we might release as well, but glad you dig the jams man, that's what it's all about.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

kais0r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:40 am 

Any suggestions for albums/bands in the vein of Watchtower's newest song The Size of Matter?
I love Watchtower's old albums with its shrieky vocals, but I also really dig Tecchio's voice on here. So you know prog-thrash bands with similiar vocals?

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:46 am 

For you Crossover fans, if you haven't checked out Take Offense's Under The Same Shadow, you're missing out on a good time.

Definitely Cro-Mags and Suicidal influenced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDqR4Wr2QTI

Last FM

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:

Wehrmacht is very fast. Not sure on the grind elements though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obSMBrnQecA

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:06 am 

kais0r wrote:
Any suggestions for albums/bands in the vein of Watchtower's newest song The Size of Matter?
I love Watchtower's old albums with its shrieky vocals, but I also really dig Tecchio's voice on here. So you know prog-thrash bands with similiar vocals?

Hmm.
These may be worth a try:

INNER SANCTUM
THE THINKING PRINCIPLE
OSIRIS - Futurity and Human Despressions
SIEGES EVEN - Life Cycle

kais0r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:44 am 

Thanks! Sieges Even and Osiris sound very intersting so far!
Which Inner Sanctum do you mean?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
I'm seeking a Groove/Thrash hybrid

Your taste in groove/thrash seems close to mine. In fact, I've played The Law, Jugulator and Vulgar Display Of Power all within the last week. I've yet to find anything that sounds like Exhorder's The Law, so you might be out of luck with that one.

Overkill - Horrorscope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8eLtK6q3gg

Korzus - Discipline of Hate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQzy1SCPmT8&feature=BFa&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BPAivOhFaEJEkUJD1impp_

Exodus - Shovel-headed Kill Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PneWfe0jy4&feature=fvwrel

Onslaught - Sounds of Violence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaaQhcwWu9E&feature=relmfu

Chimaira - Chimaira
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIScWpfZ2Z4

Testament - The Gathering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_HWdUi2TbE&feature=related

Coroner - Mental Vortex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euq2QBPb6HE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4s4UmpSRp0&feature=related

Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNqvxQD9RI&feature=relmfu

Defiance - Beyond Recognition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoxFBk1C9Do&feature=relmfu

Sodom - Agent Orange
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihKqaV3wVsY&feature=related

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:52 pm 

Anyone have a list of worthwhile thrash albums from this year?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:09 am 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:

Dust Bolt - Violent Demolition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTwDT-zONgA&feature=related

After All - Dawn Of The Enforcer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twPc-cRiqJ8

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:58 pm 

Smitty wrote:
HenryKrinkle31 wrote:

Dust Bolt - Violent Demolition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTwDT-zONgA&feature=related

After All - Dawn Of The Enforcer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twPc-cRiqJ8

Cool. Not bad.

Anything else?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:28 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Anything else?

Suicidal Angels - Bloodbath (heavy thrash with a touch of Slayer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgT42hr6FCE&feature=related

Game Over - For Humanity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BFFElAM6Hs&feature=related

Legacy of Disorder - Last Man Standing (groove thrash)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7S5RebGiBo&feature=relmfu

That's all I've got.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:11 pm 

I heard Bloodbath already, and it's awesome Slayer worship.

Game Over is also good stuff.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:01 pm 

Quote:
Suicidal Angels - Bloodbath (heavy thrash with a touch of Slayer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgT42hr6 ... re=related

I just fell in love. I love anything remotely similar to Slayer.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:34 pm 

Turtle_Factory wrote:
I just fell in love. I love anything remotely similar to Slayer.

Well then, here you go.

Korzus - Discipline of Hate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AdqfIZqjfk&feature=BFa&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BPAivOhFaEJEkUJD1impp_
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VuPSFkrERE&feature=BFa&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BPAivOhFaEJEkUJD1impp_

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 136  Next