Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:04 pm 

I used to be in contact with a bunch of the Polish Black Metal bands years ago including Graveland, Infernum, Fullmoon, Thunderbolt and Gontyna Kry etc. Putting on Carpathian Wolves for the first time in years, made me wonder if this scene ever got documented in extension by anyone besides the brief mention of Graveland in Lords of Chaos? I remember so many crazy things happening back then. Uldor from Thunderbolt killing a bunch of jews being one of them. You should think this kind of stuff (plus the NS-edge) would have journalists swarning like flies to shit, but there seems to be nothing about it on the net, except for the usual discography info like on this page. Anything about it in the new updated of Lords of Chaos?

Last edited by Horus666 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:16 pm 

Don't remember reading anything about that in the updated Lords Of Chaos, but I don't recommend using that as a reliable reference either...

Poland is known for some quality BM... and NSBM... Graveland, Dark Fury, Sunwheel & Werwolf among my faves... haven't looked into or heard much about their lives outside music tho...

Behemoth were a great Black Metal monster once upon a time too... still good at what they do I'll admit... but it's just not for me...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 pm 

Never cared much for Sunwheel they're the guys that use that awful drum machine right, Carpathian wolves is up there with some of the finer black metal albums. It's a shame it doesn't get the recognition it deserves becauses morons would rather listen to shitty safe bands like Immortal or Enslaved, from what I've heard from Dark Fury they make decent music but the vocals are terrible.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:40 pm 

Horus666 wrote:
Uldur from Thunderbolt killing a bunch of jews being one of them.

What? I've never heard that before...

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:12 am 

There is a very good interview of Darken in Darkmoon zine #10. That interview focuses on the beginning of Graveland in the early 90's and The Temple of Fullmoon activities.

Others that totally deserve to be mentioned:

Veles
Mysteries
Legion
Azelsgard (even though is a "newer" band but connected to the old TTF guard)

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:54 am 

Mgla is another polish black metal band that I feel must be mentioned. That last album that was just released was just fierce and ferocious. I simply could not stop listening to it.

Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:08 am 

ThePoop wrote:
Horus666 wrote:

What? I've never heard that before...

I think one of them was a local rabbi. He got 20 years in prison as far as I remember. That's why he quit Thunderbolt after the demo.

Anyway, I don't need musical recommendations, even though it's generous of you guys. I'm simply expressing how puzzled I am that this scene hasn't gotten more journalistic coverage. If not for the music, then for it's "sensationalist qualities". The scene was at least as extreme, if not much more, as the second wave in Norway. I paid a visit to Wrocław and Wałbrzych back in the early 00's and you wouldn't imagine how hostile the environment was. A local punk had just been thrown in front of a train when I arrived. It would be interesting to see a deeper analysis of how the polish NSBM scene came into being. The mix of outside influences (mainly coming from Norway of course) with the polish political and social climate at the time. Someone really needs write a proper book on it full of in depth interviews.

Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:04 am 

Seems to be a bit about Polish BM in this one:

Quote:
From the snow-covered environs of Norway and secluded graveyards of England to the dark forests of Germany and remote woodlands of Poland and Ukraine, an unstoppable Black Metal beast has dominated the extreme end of the musical scale for more than two decades.

Black Metal is an aesthetic, an emotion, an attitude and, for many, a way of life. Exposing the inner workings of your delicate eardrums to unbridled screams of primeval fury, an unending torrent of galloping rhythms and indomitable wall of buzzing guitars is like being thrown head-first into the whirling eye of a chthonic vortex. Black Metal can be disturbing, invigorating, provoking and empowering. One persistent and enduring image that is often associated with Black Metal is that of semi-comedic corpse-paint, futile church-burnings and Satanic ritual; but the genre itself can often take on a decidedly political and cultural form and many of its exponents have controversial views and opinions that are frequently overlooked by the commentators of the underground music industry.

We aim to examine some of those tendencies in Black Metal: European Roots & Musical Extremities. Contributors include Troy Southgate, Tony 'The Demolition Man' Dolan (Venom/Atomkraft/M-Pire of Evil), Jeff 'Mantas' Dunn (Venom/Mantas/M-Pire of Evil), Hendrik Möbus (Absurd), Alex Kurtagic (Supernal Records), Jarl von Hagall (Der Stürmer), Alexander Wieser (Uruk-Hai), William Vithólf (Fanisk), Gareth Giles (Hrafnblóð), Matt Kay (Wodfreca Records), Vijay Prozak (Deathmetal.org), Elena Semenyaka, Erik Proft, Smierc Polarstern, Neil Hiatt, Nils Wegner and Chris G. Hicks.

Signed copies of Black Metal: European Roots & Musical Extremities are now available to pre-order. The book will be around 200 pages in length and costs just £15 with free postage to anywhere in the world. The Paypal address is: [email protected]

YsmirsBeard666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:00 am 

Great topic. I'm really interested in metal's history in Eastern Europe, hopefully there'll be some good sources posted. Doesn't seem to be many though.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 am 

Horus666 wrote:

Quote:
Poland

I am so confused right now.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:30 am 

ancientorder wrote:
There is a very good interview of Darken in Darkmoon zine #10. That interview focuses

Guy behind Azelsgard is some talentless ass clown who apparently is friend with Mikołaj from Mgła and some of the people from 90's scene. Just look what this downer prints on his tapes:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg84/sca ... res=medium
roughly translated to:
"ACHTUNG! Music of AZELSGARD cannot be shared through internet auction websites in the vein of: all-negro (he's referring to allegro.pl), e-gay! If you oppose My Iron Will and buy/sell My Art this way, you are a gypsy whore, not a Black Metal Fanatic!!! Support True Underground labels, zines and distributors, not "Internet Businessmen"!

TRUE PODLACHIAN HORNED METAL"

Also, http://www.capricornus.y0.pl/, apparently he is the author of that site.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:27 pm 

I wonder if the Pollock knew he could sell his own merch online he'd be less wary.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 pm 

Wasn't Nergal involved with people like Darken and Capricornus during the early years of Behemoth? Well as far as I know they thought that Nergal was a faggot but I wonder if he ever said anything about the scene that time.

Edit: Interesting bit of an interview with Darken where he talks about that time

Quote:
7. What kind of images come to your mind when remembering those days, 10 years ago?
We did many strange things because we wanted to extreme no matter the consequences. Our lives were to be short and extreme. I remember that Karcharoth and Capricornus were to live together in one flat. They were to sleep in the coffins and have black curtains in the windows in order to the daylight did not disturb them in the contemplation of the ancient knowledge about the Darkness. The cult of devil was rather funny fro us and we were biassed in favour of the bands that made a parody of the cult of Satan…our admiration for the creativity of Mortuary Drape was an evidence of our attitude…Karcharoth studied Crowley, I was keen on druidism and Capricornus tenebre. And so we slowly lost the contact with the reality. Darkness totally preoccupied us. I could tell you about many stuff we did at that time…but what for? No need to come back to these dark times…hehe...and the Karcharoth had the mental breakdown, the police started to invigilate us and our instincts of survival stopped us for a while and showed other ways…Karcharoth ended the relationship with us…changed his ideas and started to be keen on communism!!! His schizophrenia destroyed him. His trip to Norway in order to kill Fenriz is just one of the proofs of his sickness. The excuse for his plan to murder Fenriz was trivial. Karcharoth maintained that Fenriz has stolen him CD (he traded CDs with Fenriz and he sent CD to Fenriz and did not get any CD from him). So Karchaorth prepared for the trip of his life. He armed himself with axes, knives and chains, packed to his rucksack the most important zines, books and CDs with spiritual and ideological value…and he was ready to go. He reached to Swinoujscie without any problems. On the way he visited his friends from Thunderbolt (Karcharoth used to call them “my people” because he found and trained them). In Swinoujscie he took the ferry to Sweden . And he made one mistake because he bought one way ticket. So when he arrived to Sweden , he attracted the attention of the custom officers. They searched his stuff and found many interesting things. They arrested him. His mental condition was really very bad at that time so they did not know what to do with him. The next day they sent him back to Poland . Later the Swedish police wanted to use this event and spread the news that Polish Satanists came to Scandinavia to burn churches. Karcharoth described his trip in a letter to Witalis from Dead Christ Commune. In this letter he also mentioned his new friends from Africa that he met in Swedish prison. I must admit that at that time many BM people wanted to be true and they tried to prove it as Grishnackh did. But I think that Karcharoth was the most true of all of them…and it is a pity he did not accomplished his aims…

http://www.thepaganfront.com/graveland/interviews.html

And apparently Capricornus now is a drug addict who hangs around his african friends in techno parties. Things really change uh

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:29 pm 

As for Capricornus, he actually didn't record drums on Celtic Winter, but some guy from Polish rock band, who was at the same label which specialized in punk (Melissa). At the time they were recording it Capricornus wasn't able to perform, and they took someone else.

Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:47 pm 

Interesting. I had no idea he didn't play on that album.

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:53 pm 

Horus666 wrote:
I used to be in contact with a bunch of the Polish Black Metal bands years ago including Graveland, Infernum, Fullmoon, Thunderbolt and Gontyna Kry etc. Putting on Carpathian Wolves for the first time in years, made me wonder if this scene ever got documented in extension by anyone besides the brief mention of Graveland in Lords of Chaos? I remember so many crazy things happening back then. Uldur from Thunderbolt killing a bunch of jews being one of them. You should think this kind of stuff (plus the NS-edge) would have journalists swarning like flies to shit, but there seems to be nothing about it on the net, except for the usual discography info like on this page. Anything about it in the new updated of Lords of Chaos?

So what other crazy things happened? Never heard about the dude from Thunderbolt killing those jews, interesting. Karcharoth was crazy but true as fuck. Didn't he, Darken and Capricornus burn a few churches too? And Capricornus is a junkie indeed.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:13 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
ancientorder wrote:
There is a very good interview of Darken in Darkmoon zine #10. That interview focuses

Guy behind Azelsgard is some talentless ass clown who apparently is friend with Mikołaj from Mgła and some of the people from 90's scene. Just look what this downer prints on his tapes:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg84/sca ... res=medium
roughly translated to:
"ACHTUNG! Music of AZELSGARD cannot be shared through internet auction websites in the vein of: all-negro (he's referring to allegro.pl), e-gay! If you oppose My Iron Will and buy/sell My Art this way, you are a gypsy whore, not a Black Metal Fanatic!!! Support True Underground labels, zines and distributors, not "Internet Businessmen"!

TRUE PODLACHIAN HORNED METAL"

Also, http://www.capricornus.y0.pl/, apparently he is the author of that site.

I thought this kind of elitist attitude faded away over the past 5-10years or so due to the accessibility of everything on the internet.

J0
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:47 pm 

I'd never heard thunderbolt before 'til they kicked my tits off 3 minutes ago haha

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:23 am 

Marag wrote:
Wasn't Nergal involved with people like Darken and Capricornus during the early years of Behemoth? Well as far as I know they thought that Nergal was a faggot but I wonder if he ever said anything about the scene that time.

Nergal was with Darken one of the founders of The Temple of Infernal Fire which became The Temple of Fullmoon when Capricornus joined in. That's when Nergal left the circle.

Darken also played keyboards and effects on Behemoth demos "The Return of the Northern Moon" and "From the Pagan Vastlands".

Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 am 

Paimon briefly mentions the imprisonment of Uldor in this interview:

Quote:
Not so long after that, there has been a split...Uldor has been arrested and he's in prison now. Galan Dracos is suspected of some crimes too and shows his weakness in the eye of the "law"... But, obviously, THUNDERBOLT can't die, because it's might is so strong.

Quote:
On the Tribute to Polish Black Metal page, it states that members of the band were involved in several church burnings, among other things. Further, it talks a bit about these topics in the Night and the Fog inlay. Please clear this matter up by stating if any of these charges are indeed legitimate?

Galan Dracos and I were confussed in one failed church burning. Uldor was confussed in one church burning and the murder of a subhuman and he was sentenced to 4 years of imprisonment. His accomplice and the main "guilty" one of the murder- Cezar- was sentenced to 25 years of imprisonment. That's all. Rumours say much shit...Fuck rumours !

http://www.mourningtheancient.com/thunder.htm

I have The Night and the Fog comp at home. I'll transcribe what's written in the booklet later today.

Last edited by Horus666 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 am 

Church burning in Poland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLEX72YYItw

Quote:
Its a series of photos of the church in Czarnowąsy in Poland. The church was set aflame deliberately, most probably by theifs who wanted to destroy evidence and leave no traces. There is however also a theory that the arson was the result of satanists.
The photos are real and not edited. They were taken from the website of the Czarnowąsy Parish, the music is "Odi Profanum Vulgus" by the polish metal band "Kat".

dunkelheit616
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:51 pm 

Marag wrote:

And apparently Capricornus now is a drug addict who hangs around his african friends in techno parties. Things really change uh

Oh, the irony haha! Just look at the covers for The Fate Worse Than Death.
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2594730

I often wondered what happened to Capricornus. His output seemed to fizzle out after Infernum - Farewell record. Probably for the best though, he completely ruined Graveland's Immortal Pride with his sloppy drumming.

It would be interesting to know from Rob what exactly happened to him, why he left Graveland and why he suddenly likes african people.

Last edited by dunkelheit616 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:54 pm 

dunkelheit616 wrote:
Marag wrote:

Oh, the irony haha! Just look at the covers for The Fate Worse Than Death.
http://www.thorshammerproductions.com/s ... -large.jpg

I often wondered what happened to Capricornus. His output seemed to fizzle out after Infernum - Farewell record. Probably for the best though, he completely ruined Graveland's Immortal Pride with his sloppy drumming.

It would be interesting to know from Rob what exactly happened to him, why he left Graveland and why he suddenly likes african people.

If you think the drumming is bad on Immortal pride you'd laugh at how bad it was on Carpathian Wolves and Following the voice of blood. His drumming is probably the biggest obstacle in enjoying the music along with Darken's warbly vocals.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:20 pm 

At least he had a unique style that really suited Gravelands' folky sound. Could've been better performed though. I agree about that.

dunkelheit616
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 am 

Have you heard In the Glare of Burning Churches? Heheee!

Yes, I still enjoy Graveland very much despite the poor drumming. But I do prefer the later records after Capricornus left. Absurd as it is, Darken's plastic drum machine actually sounds better to my ears. At least it's in time. Hails to Graveland!

Forbinator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
Mgla is another polish black metal band that I feel must be mentioned. That last album that was just released was just fierce and ferocious. I simply could not stop listening to it.

Mgla is indeed great. One band that people don't seem to mention is MasseMord (don't confuse with the Norwegians by the same name). Their albums "Let the World Burn" and "The Whore of Hate" are certainly quite savage black metal, albeit with "better" production values than most of the classic Polish bands.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:38 pm 

MasseMord is very popular here in Poland, like it's not even surprising to see someone wear their shirt/patch in the street.

One band that cannot be overrated is Arkona. Especially their debut is masterpiece. One of most listened albums of mine. Polish lyrics are a great part of it's greatness though.

As far as the ones who never got recognition, Mysteries. Lyrically pagan, black metal band with great demo material.

Forbinator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:08 pm 

I'll have to look into Arkona. If MasseMord is popular over there, is there any way you can get "The Whore of Hate" for me and send it to Australia? I would obviously pay you.

Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:09 pm 

ImPerium is fantastic. Almost like the polish version of Ulver's Bergtatt.

CrimsonFloyd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:57 pm 

No mentions of Ohtar yet? Probably my second favorite Polish black metal band after Graveland. Really powerful and well written stuff. The band has pretty extreme views and artwork, but I have no idea if they ever put it into action or not.

Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:30 am 

I remember their "Empire of White Power" being a really good demo. Might still have it in a box.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:30 pm 

I was really enjoying Werewolf (Iuvenes side project) until Grey Wolf killed himself and it ended both bands. Iuvenes had often tried to capture the Graveland sound (but with inferior equipment and lyrics), but Werewolf did it much better. The first album especially captures that "Carpathian Wolves"-era Graveland sound for me. The second has those ever-present synth choirs which gives it a really epic sound. I miss Werewolf.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:18 am 

CrimsonFloyd wrote:
No mentions of Ohtar yet? Probably my second favorite Polish black metal band after Graveland. Really powerful and well written stuff. The band has pretty extreme views and artwork, but I have no idea if they ever put it into action or not.

"Petrified Breath of Hope" and "When I Cut the Throat" are among my favorite albums ever. On these releases especially, Ohtar creates an atmosphere of hatred more genuine than most black metal bands are able to convey.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
As for Capricornus, he actually didn't record drums on Celtic Winter, but some guy from Polish rock band, who was at the same label which specialized in punk (Melissa). At the time they were recording it Capricornus wasn't able to perform, and they took someone else.

Are you sure? I didn't know that. By the way, I always thought that the drums on The Celtic Winter have an eletronic tone, like a drum machine or electronic drumkit.

dunkelheit616 wrote:

Immortal Pride was recorded with a drum machine, and Capricornus wasn't in the band anymore. If you're not even able to recognize a drum machine, you'd better abstain from judging the work of real drummers.

Besides, it's really despisable to spread rumours about people you have never met or been in contact with.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:19 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
As far as the ones who never got recognition, Mysteries. Lyrically pagan, black metal band with great demo material.

Yes, but they never released anything else than rehearsals and demos.
You should also check Legion - Blood on my Knife, a 4-track demo recorded by Darken (music) and Leinad (vocals).

Also to answer the original post, I wonder if the actors of the Polish BM scene really want their former activities to be revealed...

shamatarigrind666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:36 pm 

I know they weren't black metal but does anyone know if the members of Honor did anything illegal? I know they were somehow connected to Graveland and obviously they were a skinhead/rac band. Never really heard much about their activity in the scene or any other connections they may have had.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:56 pm 

shamatarigrind666 wrote:
I know they weren't black metal but does anyone know if the members of Honor did anything illegal? I know they were somehow connected to Graveland and obviously they were a skinhead/rac band. Never really heard much about their activity in the scene or any other connections they may have had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_%28band%29

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:24 pm 

Surprised no one's mentioned Goetia. Hail Satan is a great album.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 pm 

the storey in the infernum farewell cd is interesting i would like to know more about the history of the polish black metal scene.

chaos_orb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:58 pm 

Horus666 wrote:
Seems to be a bit about Polish BM in this one:

Quote:
From the snow-covered environs of Norway and secluded graveyards of England to the dark forests of Germany and remote woodlands of Poland and Ukraine, an unstoppable Black Metal beast has dominated the extreme end of the musical scale for more than two decades.

Black Metal is an aesthetic, an emotion, an attitude and, for many, a way of life. Exposing the inner workings of your delicate eardrums to unbridled screams of primeval fury, an unending torrent of galloping rhythms and indomitable wall of buzzing guitars is like being thrown head-first into the whirling eye of a chthonic vortex. Black Metal can be disturbing, invigorating, provoking and empowering. One persistent and enduring image that is often associated with Black Metal is that of semi-comedic corpse-paint, futile church-burnings and Satanic ritual; but the genre itself can often take on a decidedly political and cultural form and many of its exponents have controversial views and opinions that are frequently overlooked by the commentators of the underground music industry.

We aim to examine some of those tendencies in Black Metal: European Roots & Musical Extremities. Contributors include Troy Southgate, Tony 'The Demolition Man' Dolan (Venom/Atomkraft/M-Pire of Evil), Jeff 'Mantas' Dunn (Venom/Mantas/M-Pire of Evil), Hendrik Möbus (Absurd), Alex Kurtagic (Supernal Records), Jarl von Hagall (Der Stürmer), Alexander Wieser (Uruk-Hai), William Vithólf (Fanisk), Gareth Giles (Hrafnblóð), Matt Kay (Wodfreca Records), Vijay Prozak (Deathmetal.org), Elena Semenyaka, Erik Proft, Smierc Polarstern, Neil Hiatt, Nils Wegner and Chris G. Hicks.

Signed copies of Black Metal: European Roots & Musical Extremities are now available to pre-order. The book will be around 200 pages in length and costs just £15 with free postage to anywhere in the world. The Paypal address is: [email protected]

Where can i order this book??

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next