Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:12 pm 

Currently languishing in the doldrums which are situated between writing songs and relasing them, sometimes known as recording. Until I can figure out how to make my particularly objectionable manifestation of audacity render a click-track without crashing, and get a laptop which isn't nearly dead, it's where I'm stuck.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:19 pm 

That sucks horribly to hear. I'm uploading this final ep i planned on getting ready this weekend...well actually this one is an extra one I just tacked on.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:43 pm 

Okay last one for this weekend.

http://draugdeathmetal.bandcamp.com/alb ... ral-utopia

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:31 pm 

Just uploaded a new song to Youtube. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJZPxYu9v8
I've uploaded a few from my bands 3rd album recently, and will be releasing the rest shortly.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:33 pm 

Got bored yesterday and decided to cover a Misfits track. Recorded the instruments yesterday, vocals and mixing today.

https://soundcloud.com/dmclaren/i-turned-into-a-martian

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Put this together as well more so just finalizing the mix and all the layout

http://filtheater.bandcamp.com/album/noctivagant

This is rad, really like the slower parts juxtaposed with the fast (like about 1:50 on Plague Funeral)... a lot of times that doesn't work imo but I thought it was done nicely here.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
pulled this all together this weekend.... meaning the layout and mixing. Finished the vocals on sat morning.
http://yzordderrex.bandcamp.com/album/m ... -and-death

Enjoyed this as well. Some of the parts are a little "spacious" for my tastes but overall I thought it was well done, the vocals especially. Love that cavernous sound they have.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

This is good, my only complaint on this one is the guitars are so heavy/distorted that the riffs get a bit lost on the faster sections. The slower sections are crushing though and some of the loss may be my less than stellar comp speakers at work and the fact that I can't blast it which is how it needs to be listened to I imagine.

Good work all around, dude!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:12 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
This is good, my only complaint on this one is the guitars are so heavy/distorted that the riffs get a bit lost on the faster sections. The slower sections are crushing though and some of the loss may be my less than stellar comp speakers at work and the fact that I can't blast it which is how it needs to be listened to I imagine.
Good work all around, dude!

See, SLK? That's what I'm talking aböut! Haha!

But the last Draug was something else man! I like that project of yours.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 pm 

The logo clearly says "dad".

Yes, it's a shame how inaudible the guitars are. They sound like you only recorded some tube amp hum. They become much clearer in the doomy break. Very nice vocals.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:38 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie, thanks so much for all the mini reviews! I totally can see what you say with Filtheater cause I'm the same way cause some bands just don't know how to do it correctly. I do my best to make it work and make it work energetically in a way that makes sense and not just ping pong between the two. This new yzord is a bit weirder than my standard fair so I figured it was best for an ep than a full esp since I wrote these two at a specific time and then I wasn't able to write anymore I just don't feel that they would've fit if I tried to go back and fit more along that lines with them. Appreciate the compliments on the vocals!

With Draug I knew it wouldn't be everyone's favorite because of the distortion. I did want it to be more of a wall of sound using the HM2 pedal and I'm still pretty pleased with it but yea it could've been a bit cleaner. I did run a few hiss filters on it so just imagine how it was prior to that! The next release I'm doing for draug is going to be a full length and I'm going to sit and play with the pedal a bit more and the settings on one of my amps and see if I can get something that's a bit more clear yet still utterly disgusting. So still poo on you porman, it's kinda obviously i went for this since even in the other two I listed sound nothing like it! Also on the full I think I might focus a tad more on doomier sections. maybe something like a cross of moondark and cianide. lol Ilwhyan.. bang your head to DAD

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 pm 

SLK, you don't need to do anything with the pedal itself except maybe roll down the volume a bit. See, the thing with the HM-2 that many don't know about is, that the knobs don't work in the traditional way.

"An oddity with the HM-2 is that the Dist knob doesn't actually change the sound betweeen 3 and 8 (assuming 0-10 scale). When you start turning up the dist knob you will hear the amount of distortion increase until the button is around 3. Then the level of distortion remains the same until you get to 8 and then it starts increasing again."

I find it less hissing if I turn down the volume on it as well. You can always bring up the volume on the amp itself.

Now finding the correct amp settings...

If you really want that old Swedish death metal sound, then add a Boss Distortion DS1 in the center of the mix.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:07 pm 

It was more of an eq of the actual settings... high... low and whatever. I didn't change the distortion I did change the vol. I just want to play with it more. that's all.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:45 am 

After a couple months of deliberating, I finally got a new Fender bass last weekend. My current plan is to keep my old Schecter in Drop D while the Fender is in E flat. Should work quite well and I'm hoping to use both basses at Psychic Faith's next show in two weeks.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:22 pm 

Have just put out my second demo, it is experimental Folk Black Metal. Had been working on two songs over the last six months, making various changes here and there till I was happy with it. It turned okay and I am generally happy with how it went, from how I had envisaged things from when I first started on the whole writing process :)

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:36 pm 

I finally took the time to put this on bandcamp and get it the hell out of myspace!

http://meltingflesh.bandcamp.com/

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:29 pm 

Made an intro track and some interludes for my shitty grind project.

http://necroticgoatslaughter.bandcamp.c ... anthems-12

And the post-metal band is resurrecting, we're having a jam on Sunday. And the doom band is now looking into getting support slots with Pentagram, and then with Graveyard a month later. Not bad.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:19 pm 

I'm in that badlands between collecting a bunch of riffs, and writing actual songs. I have a lot of decent riff ideas, but writing songs is a whole different animal. Too many of my riffs wind up pigeon-holed, not because they are bad individually, but because I fail to put them together into a larger whole.

I usually do better contributing song parts with a good collaborative partner than taking on the whole thing myself.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 pm 

And while I was at it, I uploaded our Ruins of Time releases on Bandcamp! Enjoy!

http://ruinsoftime.bandcamp.com/

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:23 pm 

Porman wrote:
I finally took the time to put this on bandcamp and get it the hell out of myspace!

http://meltingflesh.bandcamp.com/

Bandcamp has a lot of great features, one of which is that it hopefully everyone will stop using myspace. FOREVER. Seriously, everyone, don't even bother with it.

Also- pretty good stuff sir! I've always dug music that is good but doesn't take its self too seriously.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:23 am 

I agree. myspace is the fucking pit. bandcamp reminds me of mp3.com in a good way. all i care about is the music and whatever merch they might have.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:45 pm 

I wonder, do people really use myspace to discover or search for bands? It could be a bad thing to close down my bands myspace site?
Maybe re-direct them from there, which I have already done on one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:54 pm 

I used to back when myspace wasn't a pile of shit. It was a great source. But when it changed to be just utter shit i abandoned it. The only one i go back and check is Fe's page cause everyonce in awhile someone from some 3rd world country messages about ordering or whatever cause apparently they are like 10 years behind the times.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:58 pm 

Gee whiz, these last months have kept me busy. And the upcoming will get worse, but at least now I have some time to come back here.
Filtheater is sounding really good SLK, congratulations on it!
Draug has a really nice drum sound, but I have to agree with those saying that the riffs are undecipherable. The logo does look like it says DaD as well haha

On my side: We're almost done recording the first of the new songs for Hellige, it lasts twenty-something minutes, it was quite a work, but it's sounding great!

And, as a sidenote, we finally got physical copies of our first demo (the one on the bandcamp), I'll paste the info here:

Kunsthauch:
http://kunsthauch.bigcartel.com/product ... -demo-2012
Witness Hell:
http://www.facebook.com/witnesshellproductions

I've got about ten spare copies from Witness Hell's, if any of you guys really* wants them, give me your info and I'll mail one to you.
All I might ask for is the shipping price if it happens to be too costly.

*I mean really; ten copies is not that much, so if you're not into it, please don't take away the chance from someone who might appreciate more just to be a hoarder.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:11 pm 

Looks like the lyrics I wrote for my band's first song went over well with the vocalist. A fairly heavy, hard rock type number. Now just waiting on next time we jam so we can try out the vocal melodies.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:21 am 

I programmed the rough drums for yet another new Sorrowseed song a couple nights ago. This particular song is gonna be the let workout of the new album.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:46 am 

Thanks garthmargengi and I'll be pming you.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:03 pm 

Working with the fretless guitar and generally on my tone to get a full & heavy sound without everything turning to mud with some of the more unusual chords I am trying to work with. I think it might be time to buy a new amp rather than messing around with the peavey bandit and computer nonsense. Also, I have been reading more on the mixing process and electronics. My next DIY project will either be a distortion pedal or making my own pickup.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:45 pm 

We are potentially getting a VERY big name to do a guest solo on the new Sorrowseed album. I'll give you all one hint as to who the guy is: he headlined at Sweden Rock back in June.

The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:19 pm 

Learning to master with the upcoming Svolder full length.

Also writing some doom metal about legendary creatures and drugs.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:01 pm 

Mick Mars? Good for you!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:23 pm 

Porman wrote:
Mick Mars? Good for you!

Not him, although I do enjoy his music. We actually confirmed it with the person earlier today.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:51 pm 

I'm actually in the process of recording right now. . .
anybody know what settings I should use for a good black/death metal sound on mixcraft?

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
anybody know what settings I should use for a good black/death metal sound on mixcraft?

You'll need to be more specific if you're looking to get some advice, there are no universal settings for a DAW.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:29 pm 

. . . shit. . . .
thing is I've never really seriously used one before.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:30 pm 

I've got a decent tone now I think but I'll have to edit it later.

BastardHead wrote:

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:31 am 

On Sunday, my post metal band finally got back together again to jam before auditioning new guitarists, and we ended up writing a completely new song based around a droning riff played by the bassist with his ebow. So that's pretty sweet.

Today my folk metal band had our last practice until our first gig next week, which should go rather well.

hansgrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:04 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:

you should probably just record something then post it here for feedback. corpsefister is spot on: there's no universal way to get it done. there are, however, a wealth of recording threads in this section that you should check out if you're feeling lost.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:24 pm 

Yeah, give it a whirl! If you find you're running into specific problems, post 'em up. Otherwise have a look for some beginners guides to recording.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:42 pm 

Back home for the weekend and came across an ep's worth of material I recorded last year sometime and wasn't deleted my my comp crashed.. it's osdm but doesn't fit in my current bands that play that style a bit more war metalish. So looks like new project to be thrown up this weekend! The songs sound really good and if I was going to try to throw it under a current name I'd have to rework them to a good degree that they wouldn't be the same songs. Just have to write up some lyrics and draw up some artwork!

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:19 am 

That should keep you occupied for a couple of hours :D

Last edited by Porman on Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:26 pm 

A few days ago my band confirmed the guest appearance of that really big name I had mentioned before. His schedule and ours perfectly align over the next couple weeks, so once we have our next show and our music video premiere out of the way we'll be ready to announce who the guest appearance is by.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 185  Next