Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sanctium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:47 pm 

The_Erlking wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:
Extreme metal also happens to be where most of the interesting concepts in metal comes from.

Extreme metal for extreme idiots.

You can't be serious :lol:

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 pm 

this is completely unrelated (not really , but its a different subject) why the big television/music companies dont look up to the more obscure genres of rock and metal?
we always talk about how it is non comercial...are you sure? i mean...metalheads are a minority, but a fucking large one
i bet if there was a good death/thrash/black metal show with real hosts and cool guests we all would watch it...maybe not the most succesful show on tv but surely not a comercial failure, as i think metal has a los of potential consumers (i mean this in a good way... people willing to pay or watch something good related to the genre)

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

MaelstromMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:31 pm 

I think what irks people most about the show is the fact that it has the word Metal in the title with so much of its focus being on hard rock. I find it amusing when Eddie rants about the lack of rock in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame while hosting a show called That Metal Show which often has little to nothing pertaining to metal in it.

That being said I find the show to be intermittently entertaining, mostly depending on who the guests are. When they have on people like David Draiman, Corey Taylor and Jamey Jasta as if they're some sort of modern metal representation it bothers me way more than the regular rotation of old Glam dudes.The Stump the Trunk segment has become more about busting Eddie's balls than showcasing his knowledge. It can be funny to watch him get frustrated over a question about Stryper or whatever. I thought the King Diamond versus Mercyful Fate discussion they had when Rob Flynn and Lars Ulrich were the guests was probably the height of Metalness as far as this show is concerned.

As far as them not covering exteme stuff, Sam Dunn claimed that he couldn't even get Opeth into the Progressive episode of Metal Evolution because VH1 wanted nothing to do with Death or Black metal. So we can just forget about that.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:50 pm 

Sanctium wrote:
The_Erlking wrote:

Extreme metal for extreme idiots.

You can't be serious :lol:

Well I hate the term "extreme metal" but sure I listen to a lot of black and death metal but what t1337Dude was just too retarded to let go. If you want to be taken seriously while saying something as biased and insulting as that you should probably back it up with something to make it at least look like a half-proper argument. I'm just calling it how I see it.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Sanctium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:51 am 

The_Erlking wrote:

Well I hate the term "extreme metal" but sure I listen to a lot of black and death metal but what t1337Dude was just too retarded to let go. If you want to be taken seriously while saying something as biased and insulting as that you should probably back it up with something to make it at least look like a half-proper argument. I'm just calling it how I see it.

Oh I thought you were trying to say it's not extreme or the music was bad or something along those lines.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 am 

I really don't like anything about this show.
It's actually cringe-inducing for me to watch it.

It's too bad because I was hoping it would not be terrible. But it is.

Hard to "be appreciative of it" when it's such watered down dreck...
That's like saying "You should be grateful for music channels giving us the same dull pablum they always have", only it's even worse now than it used to be when these kinds of shows were occasionally decent.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:03 am 

IanThrash wrote:
this is completely unrelated (not really , but its a different subject) why the big television/music companies dont look up to the more obscure genres of rock and metal?
we always talk about how it is non comercial...are you sure? i mean...metalheads are a minority, but a fucking large one

Because big television/music companies are only interested in making as much money, as quickly as possible. Why bother looking for something that might make them a little money when they can make a ton with the shit they already own.

Anyway Ive never seen this show, and it doesn't sound good.

When I read "That Metal Show" I pictured the opening to "That '70s Show" only with down tuned guitars and Ozzy singing.

YsmirsBeard666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:55 am 

The show is super safe, but it's not TERRIBLE like many are making it out to be. You guys are fully aware it's not a full-on metal show, regardless of the title, so don't watch it expecting that. I just watch it if it's on. Sure, the whole thing is "OKAYYY, SO NOW, HERE IT IS, THE QUESTION. AC/DC, OR METALLICA?" and such, but it's definitely not horrible. I commend them for having one decent show with some decent music.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:00 am 

Eddie Trunk is a jerk and his knowledge of metal, extreme or otherwise, is pathetic and laughable.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Eh_Timeghoul
Be gentle, I was... Born This Way

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 pm 

why metalheads still cling to MTV and it's affiliated bullshit, i'll never know, they only good thing they ever did was fucking headbangers ball.....and they proceeded to kill that shit, and rape it's lifeless corpse for a few more years-they don't give one lick of a shit for the music, move on and put your attention to something you know is legit

+as someone who listens to Opie and Anthony every so often, Jim Florentine is a fuckin hack, both in musical knowledge and comedy so what's supposed to be the selling point for this show? that dumb fat fuck?? yeah ok...

Sanctium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:53 pm 

YsmirsBeard666 wrote:
The show is super safe, but it's not TERRIBLE like many are making it out to be. You guys are fully aware it's not a full-on metal show, regardless of the title, so don't watch it expecting that. I just watch it if it's on. Sure, the whole thing is "OKAYYY, SO NOW, HERE IT IS, THE QUESTION. AC/DC, OR METALLICA?" and such, but it's definitely not horrible. I commend them for having one decent show with some decent music.

No it actually is as bad as the worst comment about it.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:26 pm 

JoeBlakkk wrote:
I think the show would be a lot easier to digest if they just called it "That Hard Rock Show"
The show is so safe, its awful. Although what would we expect on VH1

I was thinking the same thing. Their definition of Metal and mine often do battle.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:44 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
JoeBlakkk wrote:
I think the show would be a lot easier to digest if they just called it "That Hard Rock Show"
The show is so safe, its awful. Although what would we expect on VH1

I was thinking the same thing. Their definition of Metal and mine often do battle.

To be fair, their tag line is this: "That Metal Show, all things hard rock an heavy metal."

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:50 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

To be fair, their tag line is this: "That Metal Show, all things hard rock an heavy metal."

Maybe it should be: "That Rock Show, all things rock, glam, vintage, and a few drops of metal-ish stuff sprinkled in"

;)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 pm 

Nah, if it's remotely heavy, it's perceived as metal. How it's taken this long for the groups around here to figure that out is pretty astonishing...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Nah, if it's remotely heavy, it's perceived as metal. How it's taken this long for the groups around here to figure that out is pretty astonishing...

I hear you. One of my friends even asked me if Rise Against was metal. :durr:
It wasn't even the old, hardcore-ish rise Against, it was the new watered down pop rock Rise Against.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 pm 

I never got the "jerk" vibe from Trunk. Maybe his show is watered down for the VH1 audience, and maybe it should be called something else. But I have nothing against the guy.

He's on Sirius XM too with a show. He had a pretty good interview with Iron Maiden recently.

veyita88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 pm 

What i find funny is that artist like David Coverdale,Joey Elliot,among others,who have made it clear that they dislike heavy metal,or dislike the fact that their bands are related to metal,appear in the show with no problem.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:55 am 

veyita88 wrote:
What i find funny is that artist like David Coverdale,Joey Elliot,among others,who have made it clear that they dislike heavy metal,or dislike the fact that their bands are related to metal,appear in the show with no problem.

Those guys need the promotion, so they're gonna take it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:25 am 

I don't like half-assed attempts at covering metal. This, along with Dunn can fuck themselves.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:28 pm 

This show is about 25 years too late. The surface-level bands and topics they cover just don't have much relevance beyond anyone who's exclusively a fan to whom they interview. If not exclusively, than those with only cursory knowledge of anything more extreme. From that perspective, there's little covered that their audience probably doesn't already know about other than what they've been up to lately. To take THAT a step further, such information is already easily available in real time. It's VH1 so none of us should really be surprised by this, as already mentioned, but I don't see what this brings to the table that can't be found in other mediums and in much more depth and detail regardless of whom they're promoting.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Sanctium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:36 pm 

It's not surprising it's disgusting.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:54 pm 

My issue isn't even that "there's a lack of metal".

It's that there's a lack of worthwhile discussion, content and musical guests (plus, the hosts are mostly annoying). Might as well be reading any issue of Rolling Stone. It'd be just as fulfilling and enlightening to do so.

Someone mentioned "fluff" earlier, and that's really all this show is.

veyita88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:01 pm 

I agree that even if they had interesting guests they will waste it with pointless discussions.Like one episode they had Bobby Blitz and D.D Verni (wich was pretty cool,considering) but they spend a good amount of time talking about stupid stuff like Blitz chocolate store or something like that.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:01 am 

I actually discovered this show back when I was getting into Metal, but I didn't really watch it that often. And nowadays, I don't think I ever will.

If your going to call your show "That Metal Show" AT LEAST cover things that ARE Heavy Metal, not Hard Rock. You might as well call it 'That Heavy Metal N' Hard Rock Show" if you going to cover things all Heavy Metal and Hard Rock.

ijy10152
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:13 am 

Whether or not it's a good show or not is irrelevant, if any band outside the mainstream wants any attention in the U.S. (say Stratovarius or Blind Guardian) this is the kind of thing they really need to get themselves on there. Metal Evolution is much better because it really has some variety and talks about more than just well known metal bands. But personally I think it's an awful show, mainly because it completely panders to the mainstream and pays no attention to things in the underground.

DarkStep01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:05 am 

I do not like the show, mainly because of Eddie Trunk.
He's practically made a career out of not being to let go of the 80's, it's over. Time to move on.

And I can only stand to hear the same story about how wild parties were in the 80's so many times.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:36 am 

80's were the best decade of the history of mankind though.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:59 pm 

DarkStep01 wrote:
I do not like the show, mainly because of Eddie Trunk.
He's practically made a career out of not being to let go of the 80's, it's over. Time to move on.

And I can only stand to hear the same story about how wild parties were in the 80's so many times.

He panders to an audience full of older people who want to, for a brief moment, harken back to the days when they partied to old Scorpions and Priest tunes.

I don't see what's so wrong about it. He's not trying to cover today's heavier acts. He's trying to cover what he thinks the VH1 Classic audience will enjoy.

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:25 pm 

The show is fine most of the time. The two things that grinds me gears though are they never critiscize any release, especially newer ones and their stupid debates. Some of the stuff they during those "showdowns" irk me to no end.

Also, by far the dumbest showdown they had was Queen vs. Queensryche. Obviously, everyone was going to pick Queen. That was just stupid.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:33 pm 

Yeah, it has some entertainment value it just covers so little of what I'm into these days. I think I've watched the show about 6 or 7 times the past 5 years. I remember a show with Uli John Roth and one with Phil Anselmo. It's not completely worthless nor anything great.

Origin89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:14 pm 

It's alright. It would hold much more weight if they covered more unknown/underground bands, because we all know that's where the gold is. The show seems pretty shallow in that respect. However, I am glad that there are shows like this on cable trying to keep metal/rock alive because this mainstream pop culture in the U.S. is utter shit.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:37 pm 

The_Erlking wrote:
80's were the best decade of the history of mankind though.

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:36 pm 

It's an awful show, I've found it very hard to sit through a whole episode.

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:55 pm 

Yeah, I probably wouldn't sit through the entire thing either.

CheesusCrust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:35 pm 

I think they should have Watain as a guest sometime.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:57 pm 

Origin89 wrote:
mainstream pop culture [everywhere] is utter shit.

Yes, but...

Origin89 wrote:
I am glad that there are shows like this on cable trying to keep metal/rock alive

Do you honestly believe that?
TMS is lowest common denominator puke designed to appeal to the highest possible amount of viewers. It's got nothing to do with keeping anything but the network alive by pushing its trademark brand of bland, easily-digested garbage.

How anyone can tell themselves otherwise is truly beyond my understanding. I am not trying to seem condescending, but this idealistic nonsense about VH1 "KEEPIN' THE ROCK ALIVE!" is just silly.

Origin89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:37 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Origin89 wrote:
mainstream pop culture [everywhere] is utter shit.

Yes, but...

Origin89 wrote:
I am glad that there are shows like this on cable trying to keep metal/rock alive

Do you honestly believe that?
TMS is lowest common denominator puke designed to appeal to the highest possible amount of viewers. It's got nothing to do with keeping anything but the network alive by pushing its trademark brand of bland, easily-digested garbage.

How anyone can tell themselves otherwise is truly beyond my understanding. I am not trying to seem condescending, but this idealistic nonsense about VH1 "KEEPIN' THE ROCK ALIVE!" is just silly.

I'm not swinging on the show's nuts, and I've already stated that the show virtually has no depth. I'm trying to look at the positive by saying at least there's a show that talks about some sort of rock/metal because the average person in this age knows dick about good music. Kind of how the least stinky turd in the room can also be called the best smelling one. Perspective. I pride myself on my taste in music, but I realize that most people don't care like I do. So, fuck it.

ijy10152
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:03 am 

I'm not swinging on the show's nuts, and I've already stated that the show virtually has no depth. I'm trying to look at the positive by saying at least there's a show that talks about some sort of rock/metal because the average person in this age knows dick about good music. Kind of how the least stinky turd in the room can also be called the best smelling one. Perspective. I pride myself on my taste in music, but I realize that most people don't care like I do. So, fuck it.[/quote]

That's the issue your average person knows next to nothing About good well written music (be it metal or not) so this show just talks about older more well known "metal" acts. They really need to cover some more modern and unknown stuff; genres like power metal, prog metal and death metal don't get anywhere near the attention they deserve.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:00 am 

After reading through this thread. I'm honestly surprised how many people have this strong of feelings on this show. I mean good lord it's a television show on cable TV. It's not going to be anything more than what was considered metal from the time period it was popular. I thought it was extremely obvious that was the case. If you went in thinking it would cover anything but that you have some deep issues about caring about shit that doesn't matter in the least. I've watched the show, it's the same as if you watched I love the 80's series or anything else that VH1 offered. It's fluff, it's disposable trite shit. So I find it ammusing in passing cause I certainly don't watch it expecting some great coverage of the latest and the greatest of the underground. Huge lol there.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next