Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 pm 

First of all, let me make it very clear, I am not looking for Neo-classical music. Other than that, I don't think this needs much more explanation, what I'm looking for is modern classical composers who borrow themes and ideas from metal. I don't mean something that uses metal scales or chord progressions, but on a more general basis (such as drawing inspiration from the cold, harsh atmosphere of Black metal, as opposed to writing a piece that sounds like an orchestrated version of "Filosofem"). I'd also like to stay away from atonal stuff.

EDIT: As I mentioned below, I suppose neo-classical is fine, what I want to keep away from is inexperienced composers dabbling with music they don't understand.

Last edited by ClaymanOnFire on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:09 pm 

What's your distinction between neo-classical and modern classical? The metal band Nachtgeblut has a couple of classical music albums which use the same themes and ideas from their metal material.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Na ... imes/92685

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Na ... low/227560

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:24 pm 

I just looked up the definition of neo-classical, and I guess I thought it met something else. Maybe the examples I've heard were just amateurish...so I guess what I want to stay away from is classical music made by inexperienced people without attention to subtleties. Anyhow, thanks for the Nachtgeblut rec, I especially enjoyed his BM Bach cover :-D

Reply to topic