* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 am 

samekh wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Oh, and try Ereb Altor, the first two albums are epic doom, perfecting the Bathory sound on the second. The third is, to be honest... a bit disappointing.

A bit disappointing is an understatement in my opinion. The third album is a travesty on the Ereb Altor name.

Stormheit is another band kind of similar to Bathory's epic period, but with some NS lyrics and worse vocals.

Nah, it's a musical and direction change, I thought the album was still excellent, solid riffs and solid songwriting. Not as good as The End though and I don't know why they decided to change towards a bm sound, there's enough bands playing this kind of stuff right now.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 am 

samekh wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Oh, and try Ereb Altor, the first two albums are epic doom, perfecting the Bathory sound on the second. The third is, to be honest... a bit disappointing.

A bit disappointing is an understatement in my opinion. The third album is a travesty on the Ereb Altor name.

Stormheit is another band kind of similar to Bathory's epic period, but with some NS lyrics and worse vocals.

Nah, it's a musical and direction change, I thought the album was still excellent, solid riffs and solid songwriting. Not as good as The End though and I don't know why they decided to change towards a bm sound, there's enough bands playing this kind of stuff right now.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Yeah I know we're you're coming from Metantoine, it is a good album on its own. I think everybody is going to compare it to the first to which will more than likely see it getting marked down in comparison. I too am baffled at the change as there are not enough doing epic Bathory and as you said plenty doing this stuff. :scratch: . Worst of all Ereb Altor were one of the better at this style.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 pm 

Well it's definitely not a bad album, but they had such a great thing going on the first two, it's just a pity that that's the end of it. Epic doom isn't a particularly big genre, but black metal is, and now there's one less good epic doom band, and one more black metal one -among thousands, not to mention trading in the powerful vocals for rasping. To put it another way, there weren't many better albums than By Honour and End in their style, but there's plenty way better black metal albums out there than Gastrike.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:22 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Well it's definitely not a bad album, but they had such a great thing going on the first two, it's just a pity that that's the end of it. Epic doom isn't a particularly big genre, but black metal is, and now there's one less good epic doom band, and one more black metal one -among thousands, not to mention trading in the powerful vocals for rasping. To put it another way, there weren't many better albums than By Honour and End in their style, but there's plenty way better black metal albums out there than Gastrike.

Very true Balor, my thoughts exactly. On a brighter note I think Bloodshed Walhalla is working on the follow up as we speak and so is Sig Ar Tyr so there is still some light at the end of the tunnel.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:51 am 

Hell yeah! I was worried it would just be the one from Bloodshed Walhalla, this is great news mate.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 am 

Is there any depressive folk metal band? Folk metal band whose main theme is melancholy instead of vikings, pagans or beer drinking and partying?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:04 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Is there any depressive folk metal band? Folk metal band whose main theme is melancholy instead of vikings, pagans or beer drinking and partying?

You could try Viikate. Their actually melodic heavy metal with schlager influence, but they have a couple of folky vibes as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BauEcsPjhpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpNQje0Txas

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:21 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

anything by Kauan ... vocally similar to Viikate, but ten times more moody.

Marțolea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8pZKPFiyho

Нежеголь [Nezhegol']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqd7bnYdxmY

Tevana 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fv_CleWOL8

Winterdome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va7OOMdhNNc

伏羲 [Fu Xi]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxxDzN7npqc#at=40

Mael Mórdha
http://youtu.be/w7f4OsMGKNE#at=158

Libra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhIhsZP7MgM

Last edited by Erotetic on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
brandon1986
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

try empyrium http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Empyrium/2345

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=210ZIUPfUK4

Sharkuu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

The Mist And The Morning Dew
Uaral (The music leans more towards folk than metal though)
Forest Of Shadows is a folk-influenced death/doom band, folk influence is most prominent on the ''Where Dreams Turn to Dust'' release
Estatic Fear
And Primordial has a few depressive songs, The Coffin Ships being the best example

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 pm 

gimme some shit like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBILpaT ... re=related
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6fyu3N ... re=related (same song but yknow.. yeah)
folky shit that'll remind me of how disappointed I am for not living on middle-earth
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:42 pm 

This is pretty awesome. Makes it all the worse that they broke up. And it's seemingly impossible to get a hold of now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwmd0-3e_no

VincentVanGone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:40 pm 

Anyone know of any folk in the vein of Woods of Ypres' "Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth?"

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:49 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
This is pretty awesome. Makes it all the worse that they broke up. And it's seemingly impossible to get a hold of now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwmd0-3e_no

Fuck, Morrigan broke up?!?! That just ruined my day. I love that band (especially the first four albums). Unfortunately I never got the split with Abigail.

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:12 pm 

I enjoy Slavic, Nordic and Mid-Eastern Folk Metal. I have never heard any Folk Metal bands with a Mediterranean/Southern European sound. Think of a Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/whatever Temnozor, that is what I am looking for. However any solid Southern European Folk Metal will do.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:20 pm 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
I enjoy Slavic, Nordic and Mid-Eastern Folk Metal. I have never heard any Folk Metal bands with a Mediterranean/Southern European sound. Think of a Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/whatever Temnozor, that is what I am looking for. However any solid Southern European Folk Metal will do.

how about the Triarchy of Vasconia* split release Iluntasunaren Itzulera?

*Adhur, Aiumeen Basoa, and Ilbeltz. (the latter two have since released their debut LP; Ilbeltz would probably appeal most, though Aiumeen Basoa's album is better than their offering on the split release)

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:24 am 

Ilbeltz' album is absolutely amazing
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:58 am 

ok i dont care too much where its from coz im from nowhere near eroupe,but i have been enjoying isengard and would like to know of some more bands like them
.have been recomended some other bands but they dont have that raw budget recording kind of sound isengard have.
im new to this music and have a punk background so dont get to in to the over produced stuff with heaps of keyboard and stuff if ya know what i mean.i do still like that pagan feel with the music,but maybe just a bit more raw

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 pm 

Holy smokes! I don't care who you are, I just found one of the best folk metal albums ever made. I don't really know how well known they are. There are two reviews for his debut album. Anyways the band is Tengger Cavalry and the album is Cavalry Folk. I seriously urge everyone to listen to the first track, Galloping Steeds, and try to tell me I'm wrong.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
ok i dont care too much where its from coz im from nowhere near eroupe,but i have been enjoying isengard and would like to know of some more bands like them

Storm (Nor), Skald (Swe), Vanaheim, Myling, Naastrand (Fra), Fjörd, Ahti, Horde Thor, Peste Noire (Fra), Stirnagard, Belenos (Fra), Nachtfalke, Lönndom, Ulveheim, Myrkraverk, Sorgsvart

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 am 

Erotetic wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:

Storm (Nor), Skald (Swe), Vanaheim, Myling, Naastrand (Fra), Fjörd, Ahti, Horde Thor, Peste Noire (Fra), Stirnagard, Belenos (Fra), Nachtfalke, Lönndom, Ulveheim, Myrkraverk, Sorgsvart

thanks

i too am from nz

edit:guess you new that already new that from my "location" under my name

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:10 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
i too am from nz

edit:guess you new that already new that from my "location" under my name

didn't notice, TBH :)

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 pm 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:

Haha I was actually thinking of posting exactly that request earlier today.

Seconding Aiumeen Basoa, I also can recommend Hordak from Spain, check album The Last European Wolves. Abit like spanish Forefather. You might also enjoy La Caruta di li Dei from Italy, but the production on keys and drums is horrible.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:12 pm 

Slag wrote:
Holy smokes! I don't care who you are, I just found one of the best folk metal albums ever made. I don't really know how well known they are. There are two reviews for his debut album. Anyways the band is Tengger Cavalry and the album is Cavalry Folk. I seriously urge everyone to listen to the first track, Galloping Steeds, and try to tell me I'm wrong.

Heh, pretty cool stuff. I like the use of throat singing, though it sound as if all of the vocals are delivered that way.

I'd probably buy this album but it's a bit pricey ($36 after shipping for a double-CD sent snail-mail from China).

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 pm 

Yeah, it is definitely a hefty price. I ended up ordering it and a t-shirt from the guy, who was very helpful with figuring out the appropriate shirt size (since asian sizes is different). All of the money is going directly to him, though, so I don't really feel like I'm losing much. He seems like an extraordinary talent and I have no problem supporting his musical endeavors.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 am 

samekh wrote:
Slag wrote:

Heh, pretty cool stuff. I like the use of throat singing, though it sound as if all of the vocals are delivered that way.

another Chinese band used it to good effect, too:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgLrg2cuADA#at=33

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 pm 

Can anyone recommend to me some folk/pagan metal similar to the most recent Moonsorrow album? Thanks.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:13 am 

^hah Nice. I actually don't think the music is all that special though.

analog_winter wrote:
Can anyone recommend to me some folk/pagan metal similar to the most recent Moonsorrow album? Thanks.
There is actually a thread about this one band, called Ildra, that is apparently very alike to Moonsorrow. I actually don't them, but they seem to be highly recommended.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:59 pm 

Slag wrote:
^hah Nice. I actually don't think the music is all that special though.

analog_winter wrote:
There is actually a thread about this one band, called Ildra, that is apparently very alike to Moonsorrow. I actually don't them, but they seem to be highly recommended.

Well, to each their own, I really enjoyed the new album. I'll give Ildra a listen some time and see if I like them.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:49 pm 

Snap, I left out a word there. I meant to say that 'I don't actually know them.' So I can't speak to their (Ildra's) music's quality.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 am 

Looking for the most polka-ish folk metal imaginable.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 pm 

Anyone?

ExNoctemNacimur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:50 pm 

I want to know a band that plays in a style similar to Eluveitie. Basically I want a fusion of folk music and melodic death metal but I don't want something too fast. Maybe 130 - 175 BPM if possible.

Screwby
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:52 pm 

I have a pretty wide perspective, to be honest I am not really sure of what I am looking for.

Some of my favourite bands are Bathory, Moonsorrow and Primordial, I also love Dordeduh's latest album 'Dar De Duh'. It's hard to find bands that have the same uniqueness like these. I do love pagan metal with black metal origins, but I despise humpa folk metal and folk/pagan metal with happy melodies and singing (I think that is pretty clear with my favourite bands).

I prefer shrieked black metal vocals, but I do like clean if it's performed "properly" (Primordial, Agalloch).
Something that really blew my fucking mind out was the vocals on 'Black Lake Nidstång' by Agalloch, really tormented and eerie vocals.
Epic song structures and long songs are no minus.

I am full aware of that my description aren't reallt that specific, but I gave some examples of what im looking for.

I would appreciate some help!

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 am 

Love those vocals on 'Black Lake Nidstång' as well.

I'm guessing you are familiar with Negura Bunget. If not you must give them a listen.

Screwby
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am 

Negura Bunget is in the top of my list aswell :)
Thank you anyway!

The search continues...

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:39 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Looking for the most polka-ish folk metal imaginable.

Maybe you'd be into Kromlek?.. I'm just finding out they split up this year. :(

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:45 pm 

ExNoctemNacimur wrote:
I want to know a band that plays in a style similar to Eluveitie. Basically I want a fusion of folk music and melodic death metal but I don't want something too fast. Maybe 130 - 175 BPM if possible.
I'm not really a fan of Eluveitie, but these guys, Abinchova, might do it for you. If not I would honestly just advanced search "melodic death metal/folk metal."

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:59 am 

Screwby wrote:
Negura Bunget is in the top of my list aswell :)
Thank you anyway!

The search continues...

don't think it has anything to do with your current search, but all Negura Bunget fans should check out their side project Marțolea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQ2m-lqNTw#at=89

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 42  Next