Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 pm 

Great news, Enslaved will surely manage another amazing release. I'm indifferent about that artwork. I have no idea what it is supposed to mean, but it isn't really painful on the eyes.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 pm 

Fuck. Well I guess #1 album for me this year is already predetermined.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:33 pm 

If this is as good as Enslaved's previous works, then this will be one of my favourite albums of the year, possibly even my single favourite. I quite like the artwork, too.

I've been on quite an Enslaved kick, so I might aim at timing it so that it culminates at the release of the album.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 am 

Just for awesomesauce warm ups. . . *hint, click these links*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Rk1c0v_S8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGOHk2J4jV4

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:51 pm 

http://www.facebook.com/notes/enslaved/enslaved-riitiir-track-listing-revealed/10151145217611115

Track listing revealed. Maybe I'm reaching, but don't these titles just sound like part of a masterpiece? :D

01. Thoughts Like Hammers
02. Death In The Eyes Of Dawn
03. Veilburner
04. Roots Of The Mountain
05. Riitiir
06. Materal
07. Storm Of Memories
08. Forsaken

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:09 pm 

It's not just you, dude. Those titles look great. I can't wait to hear Riitiir.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:27 pm 

Rusted and Rotting wrote:
let's face it: they fucking look like badass Norseman

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:42 pm 

Hehe, that picture always gets me. I can't imagine what he was thinking. Probably more tongue-in-check than most people would like to admit.

I personally think their covers are getting better and better, and doesn't look like all the gimmicky clichés all other black metal bands use, or most modern bands in general. Originality is something that is not very common now a days.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:31 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
In the Facebook link in my OP.
Quote:
“The album is, as mentioned, entitled ‘Riitiir’ - a self-made ‘Norse-ified’ version of the words ‘Rites’ / ‘Rituals.’ RIITIIR = ‘The Rites of Man,’ to put it in a formulaic and easy way. There is no story with a timeline; again we’ve built structures that lay above the independent lyrics that we feel more comfortable with letting the reader explore, interpret, or simply discard themselves.

Ahh phew..I was worried there for a moment that 'RIITIIR' was really code for 'Retire'.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:07 pm 

I love the cover better than the last two. Monumentions and Below the lights had the best covers out of all the Truls Espedal covers. I love the track listing you can already get a vibe for each song just by the title.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:34 pm 

Enslaved are one of those bands that seem incapable of releasing something bad. I've heard most of their albums and they are all good. Needless to say I will be getting this.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:18 pm 

Axioma is actually one of my favorite Enslaved albums, right up there with Eld, Below The Lights, and Isa for me...so I'm definitely excited for this new one, and the description the band gave for it sounds awesome.

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 pm 

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/ ... ke-hammers

BUMP OMG

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:04 pm 

OK OK OK Two minutes in and that song becomes godly. OH MY, it's so badass.

EDIT: after the first listening I'm going immediately back in. Organic is a dead on descriptor. Everything feels so right. I'm so effing pumped for this album. I was reading while listening and I could hep but start nodding and moving around, what a fantastic song.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:25 pm 

The new song has a strong "Below The Lights" and "Monumension" feel, at least, the bit I've listened to so far does. I was sceptical for about three-seconds, at most, then the song became excellent. I love the slow, dark riff which comes in after the intro.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:26 pm 

Ahhhhh.....(moan)....so fucking good!!!

Man, I love Enslaved.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:30 pm 

(Un)holy crap!!!
I'm on the second spin. I didn't have any doubts they would deliver, again. And yet mind blown. If the rest of the album is of the same quality (which I don't doubt for a second), we have an album of the year contender right here.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 pm 

I'm really tempted to listen to this right now but as usual I am going to wait for the physical copy to be in hand as I don't sample. No doubt the wait for the full album will pay off.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:00 pm 

What a way to open an album! Enslaved have to be one of the best, most consistent metal bands going right now. They really set a new standard with Axioma, I feel, and from this song it sounds like they're ready to deliver all over again. Cannot wait.

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:01 pm 

I knew these geniuses wouldn't disappoint, even though it's too early to decide I'm already considering top 3 at least for this album.

Last edited by reven on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:07 pm 

It was alright. Don't see why people are going crazy over it. Haven't heard the last one, but at least this has some aggression, unlike the middling stuff they've been releasing lately.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:06 pm 

That was AWESOME!

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:08 pm 

it was pretty damn good. The clean vocals are better this time around methinks.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:09 pm 

Wow, what a heavenly piece of music this man created.. once again. Definite pick up and likely album of the year. I can't wait to hear the rest.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:13 am 

Ok, since new album is going to drop soon I guess this is a good time to seek guidance regarding this band.

I've never paid much attention to these guys, probably due to the folk/viking metal tag (not really my thing).
I'm aware they're not the amon amarth kind of band and they've changed quite a bit over the years. Now, I'm very into black metal, being it raw, ugly and primitive or highly sophisticated and complex, so... does enslaved has something to offer me? I listened to the song posted "Thoughts Like Hammers" (cool title, btw) and I was a bit surprised... Not that harsh/heavy but quite proggy and well structured. I actually like it quite a bit. Where should I start?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:17 am 

therealvivs wrote:
Ok, since new album is going to drop soon I guess this is a good time to seek guidance regarding this band.

I've never paid much attention to these guys, probably due to the folk/viking metal tag (not really my thing).
I'm aware they're not the amon amarth kind of band and they've changed quite a bit over the years. Now, I'm very into black metal, being it raw, ugly and primitive or highly sophisticated and complex, so... does enslaved has something to offer me? I listened to the song posted "Thoughts Like Hammers" (cool title, btw) and I was a bit surprised... Not that harsh/heavy but quite proggy and well structured. I actually like it quite a bit. Where should I start?

It seems you're going in open minded and with minimal expectations and so I think you will be overjoyed with how great this band is. My money is on you checking back saying how blown away you were.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:30 am 

therealvivs wrote:

I echo the former speaker.

When it comes to where to start with this band, I should stress that despite the "viking" tag (they've never had the "folk-tag as far as I know, and if someone say that, they're a dumbass) it's because of the lyrics; they've never been a "ho-fiddle-de-dee" band. So my recommendation would be to start at the beginning with "Vikingligr Veldi" and just go from there. Every single album is great imo.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:03 am 

therealvivs wrote:

If you like the proggy, well structured stuff, go -- immediately -- for Below the Lights, then Axioma Ethica Odini. If you like the raw, ugly primitive black metal, go for Frost or, as the previous poster said, Vikingligr Veldi -- if, on the other hand, you want trancelike black metal that doesn't sound like anything else before or since, get the Hordanes Land split with Emperor (actually I think now it comes as part of the VV reissue).

Personally, though, my favorite is Mardraum, because it was a perfect blend of both of those elements: the bestial and the almost psychedelic. That album is monstrous.

And on the "viking metal" tag: Amon Amarth is a melodic death metal band that happens to sing about vikings and shit. Get the Enslaved album Eld and tomorrow you will be building a long boat on your lawn.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:30 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Get the Enslaved album Eld and tomorrow you will be building a long boat on your lawn.

Man that was funny as hell! Ahaha! Ok guys, I will soon embark on my enslaved odyssey since everyone here seems like them. Plus the fact you all seem to agree they're not a one trick pone, that should make my journey very pleasent! Will report back! Thanks folks!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:31 am 

I am tickled that he mentioned AA since they are the second best band in metal right now after Enslaved-imo.

MetalArmy666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:21 am 

The album artwork for this is absolutely atrocious!

I am a massive Enslaved fan, but I did not like Axioma. It was too much of a prog metal album and so far removed from the black metal sound that they perfected. And, yes, I'll join the group of people saying that 'Below The Lights' was the pinnacle of their career as far as I'm concerned. that album is a true masterpiece! :)

And 'Frost' is my second favorite.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:23 pm 

I'm in the minority on this but I actually think Frost is the band's weakest album from that era. A couple good songs but a big step down from VV.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:31 pm 

Allow me to participate in this gentlemanly circle jerk. Enslaved are geniuses, this album will be genius.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MetalArmy666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:56 pm 

Holy shit, the new song is incredible. Terrible track name to go along with the terrible artwork, but the actual music is genius.

Wolfgong
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:07 pm 

There is really very little to discuss about this band. Honestly.

They are credible and proven, a talented group with conviction and proven beyond measure.

They are more than capable, I mean... just how many albums must one make to prove that? These guys have delivered time and time again, this new album will not be any different. Rest assured, or so I am sure... without doubts.

The track is great, so shalt be the whole of the album. Musicians, artists. Going to a be a fine release.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:08 pm 

Terrible track name? Terrible album art? I don't mean to be a blind fanboy about this, but I can't disagree more.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:25 pm 

I think the name of the track is very good. It sounds quite provocative.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:47 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
I think the name of the track is very good. It sounds quite provocative.

Yeah, but it doesn't sound very Enslaved-ish to me. And the artwork still looks pretty lazy and reminds me of a dumb high-five.

MetalArmy666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 pm 

Yeah, to me the artwork is SO cheesy. As has been said above, it looks like a group high-five. And this is coming from someone who likes Enslaved artwork - just not this artwork.

"Thoughts Like Hammers" sounds like it would be the title of a song from one of those lame emo bands like Fall Out Boy. The track itself is fucking amazing, the harsh vocals are really, really good. However, the track name is not very Enslaved-ish and reminds me of something a band on Warped Tour would use.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:43 pm 

The mighty Enslaved have shaken my fucking world once again! Brilliant track by a beyond brilliant band. This has assured me that this album will be a masterpiece and I cannot wait!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next