Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:48 pm 

I wouldn't give any albums (metal or not) 100%, not because I don't like them, I'm just one of those who never gives perfect scores.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:22 pm 

Pink Floyd's The Wall , as well as Dark Side of the Moon, and A Saucerful of Secrets. The fact that songs off these masterpieces of psychedelic rock are played within an inch of their listenable lives is harmless to the quality of the albums. May they find their places in future deep space projectiles and may audible copies outlive all tales of Rome.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Mon May 21, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Folez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:42 am 

Not necessarily 100% but albums that I'd give a high mark would be (in no particular order):

Glassjaw - Our Color Green
Animals as Leaders - Animals as Leaders
Monster Magnet - Spine of God
Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Horse the Band - Desperate Living
In The Court of Crimson King - King Krimson

Been looking for some good jazz, anyone have any recommendations?

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:33 am 

Folez wrote:
Not necessarily 100% but albums that I'd give a high mark would be (in no particular order):

Glassjaw - Our Color Green
Deftones - Diamond Eyes

Been looking for some good jazz, anyone have any recommendations?

If near 20 minute long songs don't intimidate you, then check out both Soft machine's Third, and Miles davis- in a silent way. Easily tied for my favorite jazz fusion albums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovor_ZWrAm8

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:32 am 

Velvet Underground & Nico by Velvet Underground (absolutely one of the best rock albums of the 60s)
Silent Shout by The Knife (it has well structured songs and has a lot of sound textures that appeal to me)
Autobahn and Radio Activity by Kraftwerk (70s electronic music? Written incredibly well and very experimental even in today's standards? Come on, gotta love it)
Exmilitary by Death Grips (this reinvented hip hop by being destructive, loud, powerful, and painful in all the right places)
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neurtal Milk Hotel (it's lo-fi rock with folk and Sonic Youth influences- love it)
Only A Lad by Oingo Boingo (Danny Elfman has crazy musical ideas and is a wild vocalist- made an amazing new wave album)
Dot Hack//Perfect Music Collection (it goes all over the place with orchestral tracks with operatic vocals to tribal tracks to electronic and acid tracks)
Suicide by Suicide (70s electronic in a punk style- let's hear it for Frankie)
After Eight by Taco (80s synth pop with 20s-40s musical influences- Taco's an excellent vocalist and has some amazing ideas in this album)
Group Sex by Circle Jerks (it's one of the best moments in punk- has such a monstrous and nasty attitude about it)
Satori by The Flower Travellin' Band (it's not considered metal on this site but it might as well be- it's some of the heaviest 70s rock I've ever heard and has a very psychedelic atmosphere to it)
Conal by Conrad Schnitzler (abstract electronic music with a very trippy feel- the flow on the album is to my liking and I love the sounds he uses)
Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division (very dark new wave, almost punky in a way but gloomier)

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:38 pm 

Two more I'd add:

-Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
An amazing alternative rock record. I thoroughly enjoy every song. One of those records I have a hard time cherry-picking from--if "Lounge Fly" or "Silvergun Superman" comes up on shuffle, I generally stop and turn on "Meat Plow" and just listen to the album front to back. "Interstate Love Song" and "Still Remains" are two of my all-time favorite songs. And STP are one of my favorite bands.

-N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton
Let me preface this by saying that I am not a fan of rap or hip hop. I almost never listen to any of it. But this album is an exception. I remember the first time I listened to this record. I remember thinking "these are some seriously pissed off dudes." Pure aggression, attitude, and a keen social awareness from the street. Before Eazy-E died of AIDS and Dr. Dre became a producer extraordinaire and Ice Cube started starring in terrible kids movies and MC Ren and DJ Yella went off and did their (slightly lower profile) things, N.W.A was a group of some serious, scary ass motherfuckers. The relative birth of gangster rap (I know, this is debatable). A monster of an album.
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:50 pm 

Rusted and Rotting wrote:
N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton
Let me preface this by saying that I am not a fan of rap or hip hop. I almost never listen to any of it. But this album is an exception. I remember the first time I listened to this record. I remember thinking "these are some seriously pissed off dudes." Pure aggression, attitude, and a keen social awareness from the street. Before Eazy-E died of AIDS and Dr. Dre became a producer extraordinaire and Ice Cube started starring in terrible kids movies and MC Ren and DJ Yella went off and did their (slightly lower profile) things, N.W.A was a group of some serious, scary ass motherfuckers. The relative birth of gangster rap (I know, this is debatable). A monster of an album.

All three albums were good, but this was N.W.A's masterwork.

Folez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:30 am 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
If near 20 minute long songs don't intimidate you, then check out both Soft machine's Third, and Miles davis- in a silent way. Easily tied for my favorite jazz fusion albums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovor_ZWrAm8

No stranger to 20 minute songs, good album by the way, thanks for the recommendation.

Two more I'd add:
-N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton

When it comes to hip-hop, I could never get into the west-coast stuff. I think it was mainly due to the production behind it. Seemed like so much of it sounded the same (although I assume NWA were one of the first.) I really enjoyed though Nas' Illmatic album and the album with the song Shook One.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:32 am 

Wu-Tang Clan's 36 chambers. I'm picky when it comes to hip hop but this is one of the greatest albums ever for me, just amazing lyrics and beats all the way through.
Honorable mention to NWA's albums too though, Eazy E was the first rapper that I really liked. Love that Trailer park boys signature too, fuckin Best t.v. show ever, I could quote that series all day long... "That was the lowest i'd ever seen him, drunk on swish, dancing around with an old fuckin' dirty dog eatin' pizza crusts off the fuckin ground"-Bubbles on Julian after he loses his trailer and lives outta Ricky's old car in season 4.

DeathNut
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:48 pm 

I'd probably give Relient K's mmhmm a perfect or near-perfect score, no bad song on that album and its my favorite of all time.

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:07 am 

Some albums that spring to mind are the first Led Zeppelin album, Led Zeppelin IV, Frank Zappa's Over-Nite Sensation, Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese, and Faith No More's Angel Dust.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:56 am 

Mentions of 36 Chambers and some Led Zeppelin are rather surprising. Pretty sure it's usually 'TOXICITY' and LADY GAGA in here :D

Borya
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:32 pm 

Actually, there is no album that i'd ever give 100%.

I am a prog-rock fan, so these albums would be most prog rock :)

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Tarkus (The album cover!!!)
King Crimson - In the court of the crimson king (Again : the album cover!!!!!!)
Tool - 10000 Days
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a blank planet

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:28 pm 

Not sure if 100% but close:

Zep's first three
Knorkator - Ich Hasse Musik
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Cream - Wheels Of Fire
The Doors - The Doors
Queen - A Night At The Opera
Uriah Heep - Salisbury
Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:35 pm 

DeathNut wrote:
I'd probably give Relient K's mmhmm a perfect or near-perfect score, no bad song on that album and its my favorite of all time.

snicker

Techno Viper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:10 pm 

Chicago Transit Authority
Hawkwind-In Search of Space and Space Ritual
The Cardigans-s/t
Huey Lewis and the News-Sports
Ratt-Invasion of your Privacy
Snoop Doggy Dogg-Doggystyle
Rob Cavestany-Lines on the Road
Reverend Horton Heat-Lucky 7

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 pm 

Techno Viper wrote:

Ah, Huey!

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost.
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:59 pm 

He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Techno Viper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm 

Techno Viper wrote:

Ah, Huey!

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost.

I actually went to see Huey last night and had a good time!

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:41 pm 

Living Colour - Time's Up, Vivid, Stain
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head, Paul's Boutique
Al Di Meola - Electric Rendezvous
Van Halen - Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix Experience - all three albums + Live at Berkley

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:16 am 

Swans - The Great Annihilator
Fields Of The Nephilim - The Nephilim
Mercury Rev - Deserters Songs
Dead Can Dance - Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun
Death In June - The Wall Of Sacrifice

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:46 pm 

The Smiths Strangeways Here We Come. I've been listening to it on repeat for the past few hours. One of the best albums I've ever heard.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:52 pm 

mcmufffins wrote:
The Smiths Strangeways Here We Come. I've been listening to it on repeat for the past few hours. One of the best albums I've ever heard.

Really? Don't get me wrong, I love The Smiths and there are some great songs on Strangeways, but I find The Queen Is Dead to be a much stronger album overall.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 am 

I've yet to listen to it, I'll give it a shot when I sober up haha

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 am 

Porman wrote:
Jimi Hendrix Experience - all three albums + Live at Berkley

I don't know if I'd give all 3 albums 100%, but they're definitely all awesome albums. I don't think I've heard the full Live at Berkeley, so I'll have to check that out sometime.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

~Guest 287630
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:05 pm 

/

Last edited by ~Guest 287630 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:31 pm 

mcmufffins wrote:

I've only heard "The Queen is Dead," and "Meat is Murder." I really need to check out more by them because all I hear is great reviews.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:54 pm 

One thing about The Smiths is that some of their best songs (like Panic, Ask, Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now) are not on their full-lengths, so it’s also worth checking out one of their compilations. I’d probably recommend Louder than Bombs.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
One thing about The Smiths is that some of their best songs (like Panic, Ask, Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now) are not on their full-lengths, so it’s also worth checking out one of their compilations. I’d probably recommend Louder than Bombs.

Yeah, a buddy of mine has a bunch of 7"s by them. I should get in touch and see if he'll rip me a few of them.

Drunken
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:47 pm 

Boards of Canada - Music Has a Right to Children/Geogaddi
Tool - AEnima/Lateralus
Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
GZA - Liquid Swords
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Drive By Truckers - Brighter than Creation's Dark/The Dirty South
Outkast - Aquemeni
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
Led Zeppelin - IV

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:07 am 

mcmufffins wrote:

All Smiths is great.

Believe it or not Strangeways is probably their weakest release. Just get the new box set.

EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:31 am 

Nephilum667 wrote:
Exmilitary by Death Grips (this reinvented hip hop by being destructive, loud, powerful, and painful in all the right places)
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neurtal Milk Hotel (it's lo-fi rock with folk and Sonic Youth influences- love it)
Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division (very dark new wave, almost punky in a way but gloomier)

These three for sure. Just found Death Grips a few weeks ago, listened to it so much since, great album.
NMH is a classic, same with Joy Division.

I'd have to add La Dispute's "Somewhere At the Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair"
Something about it really hits me, great post hardcore with a lot of different influences. Great band, amazing album.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:48 am 

Don't know about 100%, but i'd rate those pretty highly:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Kraftwerk - The Man Machine
Klaus Schulze - Mirage
Lebensessenz - Tage Der Nostalgie
Enemite - Wuyuan
City of Caterpillar - City of Caterpillar
Forseti - Erde
Zhurong - Anger

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:45 am 

Marag wrote:
Don't know about 100%, but i'd rate those pretty highly:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

100% correct.

DannabisAx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:20 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
Folez wrote:

Deftones - Diamond Eyes

Animals As Leaders IS Metal, so that doesn't fit the thread,
http://youtu.be/q0ZrF7taMHA

and it's King Crimson with a 'C'.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:50 pm 

If you intend to make a scene, tell me now and I'll put you on a temporary chill-out. Make a scene without telling me in advance, and I'll ban you permanently.

I don't mind questioning, but I sure as hell hate people with a bad attitude starting with their first posts.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:24 pm 

Folez wrote:
HORSE the Band - Desperate Living

You spelled "The Mechanical Hand" wrong.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:25 pm 

mcmufffins wrote:

The Smiths are incredible, possibly my favorite band of all. I've had a hell of a time deciding which of their releases is my favorite, but usually both their s/t debut and The Queen is Dead land at 100% for me. The former is very underrated.

Be sure to pick up Louder Than Bombs for two bucks. 24 non-album tracks at one insane value.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:00 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
The Smiths are incredible, possibly my favorite band of all. I've had a hell of a time deciding which of their releases is my favorite, but usually both their s/t debut and The Queen is Dead land at 100% for me. The former is very underrated.

High-five Metal_Dectector! I was just listening to Pretty Girls Make Graves this morning.

Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:53 pm 

To me there's no such thing as a 100% album, the closest ever made is Ride the Lightning, but as far as the absolute best non-metal albums out there:

Clutch - Blast Tyrant: A solid album from start to finish, Clutch has never sounded so good before or since. Boogie-rock anthems like "The Mob Goes Wild", "Cypress Grove" and "La Curandera" are even better live than they are on the album.

Tool - Aenima: Even with the few throw-away tracks like "Message to Harry Manback" and "Die eier von Satan" this album will always be one of my favourites. The strength of stuff like the title track and "Forty Six & 2" make it easy to ignore the filler.

The Tragically Hip - Day For Night: The shedding of their bar band roots that started with 1992's Fully Completely was complete with this album. The whole thing has a kind of dark feel, but I wouldn't call it heavy by any means. Just a great album.

Interpol - Antics: While the Joy Division worship is obvious, Interpol seems to add the right ingredients to satisfy my ears. Great atmosphere from start to finish.

Nine Inch Nails - Broken: Probably one of the best EPs ever recorded. Broken is such a slap in the face after the middling Pretty Hate Machine. So much anger, so many chainsaw guitars, if only it were longer!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 43  Next