Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 pm 

Hey, I am a 14 year old guitarist in NJ looking to join any kind of metal, punk, or post-punk band. I'm pretty good, but solos aren't my strong suit. My parents also don't want me being in a band with people over 17.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:02 pm 

You should know that your chances of finding someone to play with here are very slim. Most members of the forum are in their late teens and twenties. My recommendation, as someone who knows your situation far too well, is to find people at your school and jam with them, regardless of what they want to play. Be open to playing other styles, weather it's hard rock, country, or something else. And if you like punk, you're in luck since you can find some punk influence in pretty much every style of music.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

FenrirFangs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:38 pm 

Animicantus wrote:
You should know that your chances of finding someone to play with here are very slim. Most members of the forum are in their late teens and twenties. My recommendation, as someone who knows your situation far too well, is to find people at your school and jam with them, regardless of what they want to play. Be open to playing other styles, weather it's hard rock, country, or something else. And if you like punk, you're in luck since you can find some punk influence in pretty much every style of music.

This x1000

hansgrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 pm 

Animicantus wrote:

sound advice. you might also consider working on your chops so by the time you get exposed to a wider range of people to play music with you'll be better prepared. i also am all too familiar with your situation (including the NJ part...we metalheads are few and far between in this state it seems).

you could also focus on writing your own music and recording it yourself. this is what i started out doing, and i would have to say it turned out being incredibly valuable. learning how to program a drum machine can be pretty frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of it its easy to make the music you want. hell, doing stuff by yourself gives you an opportunity to practice and develop your sound, while simultaneously building up technical skills and knowledge that you'll be thanking yourself for later. being a good guitarist is one thing, but being a good guitarist who can also write songs and record them can make you VERY in demand when you start making music. i was one of the only people who knew how to record music in my town, and trust me, you can make a lot of musician friends very easily if you have that skill.

in the end, it really depends on what you want to do. i would recommend saving up a lil' cash and buying an m-audio fast track, a middle-of-the-road mic and cable (there are numerous threads in this very forum that can point you in the right direction), downloading a freeware drum-machine program like hydrogen, and a freeware recording program like audacity or other similar programs. the road is somewhat long and the learning curve somewhat steep, but if you stick with it you very well may be thanking yourself one day.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:09 am 

First thing - put together some sort of recording that shows that you are capable at playing your instrument. If you need some help with this, post about it here. Put down some ideas over a programmed drum track, if you have two ideas you can put together a basic song out of that.

It's tough but true to say this, but you'll have a lot of trouble finding people online who are under 18 who are willing to play in a band with someone much younger than them. Check out youth centers in your area and look for local shows, spread the word that you're looking to start a band. You can even do this on Facebook, but keep in mind that it is very informal and looking in person is good. Between metal, punk, and post-punk as a whole, you can likely find people who want to make music pretty easily, though "easily" might take months or a year of looking.

hansgrinder wrote:
sound advice. you might also consider working on your chops so by the time you get exposed to a wider range of people to play music with you'll be better prepared. i also am all too familiar with your situation (including the NJ part...we metalheads are few and far between in this state it seems).

you could also focus on writing your own music and recording it yourself. this is what i started out doing, and i would have to say it turned out being incredibly valuable. learning how to program a drum machine can be pretty frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of it its easy to make the music you want. hell, doing stuff by yourself gives you an opportunity to practice and develop your sound, while simultaneously building up technical skills and knowledge that you'll be thanking yourself for later. being a good guitarist is one thing, but being a good guitarist who can also write songs and record them can make you VERY in demand when you start making music. i was one of the only people who knew how to record music in my town, and trust me, you can make a lot of musician friends very easily if you have that skill.

in the end, it really depends on what you want to do. i would recommend saving up a lil' cash and buying an m-audio fast track, a middle-of-the-road mic and cable (there are numerous threads in this very forum that can point you in the right direction), downloading a freeware drum-machine program like hydrogen, and a freeware recording program like audacity or other similar programs. the road is somewhat long and the learning curve somewhat steep, but if you stick with it you very well may be thanking yourself one day.

Good advice, meeting musicians when you are younger can be difficult, but skills like knowing how to record and being able to write music without a full band become extremely valuable once you become comfortable with them. Reaper seems to be the free DAW of choice, Audacity is good but very minimal.

Side note: it's seems like there are a fair number of people from both New Jersey and my home state of Connecticut on the forums. Both seem to have very fragmented and sparse metal scenes, but there are people from different parts of the states.

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:56 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I think the one man band route sounds best for my situation right now, since there is no music scene in my town due to lack of any venues besides a coffee shop. Just to test the the sound, as well as practice drum programing, I'm going to record a cover with the equipment i have now (an ipad with garage band) and see how it turns out. If it's decent, I'll use that while I save up for a better rig. I'll post it here when I'm done to get your opinions. Thanks again!

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:58 pm 

Here it is, Mastodon's Crack The Skye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9P-MBK ... e=youtu.be

Reply to topic