Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:38 pm 

I'll refrain from said pointless barking then. Let's continue with the Vektor praise, shall we? Now, the big question; Black Future, or Outer Isolation? And why?

PS: And I'm no stupid 16 year old. I'm a stupid 17 year old, who also somewhat manages to hide his stupidity.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 pm 

Black Future because it's more progressive and the songs are more epic. On Outer Isolation, they went in a more concise direction, albeit not losing their prog/spacey edge, but it wasn't as present like it was on BF. I usually like longer songs a lot too. OI is still fucking awesome and miles ahead of the lame pseudo Exodus wannabees.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'll refrain from said pointless barking then. Let's continue with the Vektor praise, shall we? Now, the big question; Black Future, or Outer Isolation? And why?

PS: And I'm no stupid 16 year old. I'm a stupid 17 year old, who also somehwat manages to hide his stupidity.

Black Future. Both are great albums but I feel like some tracks of Outer Isolation lacked the intensity that was consistent on every track on Black Future. But still Tetrastructural Minds, Cosmix Cortex, and Echoless Chamber are great tracks and standouts of Vektor's career.

And also what Metantoine said.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:23 pm 

I actually give Outer Isolation a very slight edge over the debut, precisely because it's more concise. Black Future is still terrific, but I can't listen to it one one sitting, while I have no such problem with OI. Besides, Outer Isolation houses Tetrastrucutral Minds, which must easily be one of the best thrash songs ever written, it's ending in particular being absolutely apoteosic.

SexyPig
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:03 am 

Hi everyone, I'm looking for fun thrash metal with death metal vocals. Something like Ghoul's Transmission Zero. Some Skeletonwitch sounds very nice as well, but I'm not really looking for blackened thrash like Toxic Holocaust, and I've never been into Municipal Waste all that much. Just fun thrash metal with death metal vocals. So what do you think? Any ideas?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:30 am 

SexyPig wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm looking for fun thrash metal with death metal vocals. Something like Ghoul's Transmission Zero. Some Skeletonwitch sounds very nice as well, but I'm not really looking for blackened thrash like Toxic Holocaust, and I've never been into Municipal Waste all that much. Just fun thrash metal with death metal vocals. So what do you think? Any ideas?

Well, you could try my band Spewtilator. Might be up your alley.

http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:51 am 

I'm still kind of undecided on much about Vektor. I like them but I don't get strong urges to listen to them that often. Also can't decide which album I like more although the second one hasn't been out that long so it's probably not wise for me to say anything definite about it just yet. However I agree with Metantoine in that they are pretty much the only modern thrash band worth writing home about. I think that as a HUUUUUGE techno-thrash nut I might be restraining myself from caring too much about the band right now because of some fans and bloggers and reviewers talking about them like technical and progressive elements in thrash metal were something totally unheard of before.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:24 am 

Technical and progressive elements have been in thrash almost since it's inception, yes, but when it comes to the new generation, bands who play that particular brand of the style are almost nonexistent, hence the highlightning of Vektor in that particular regard (that, and the fact that they're badass).

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:26 pm 

Can someone recommend some really raw, fast, "crusty' thrash?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:32 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Technical and progressive elements have been in thrash almost since it's inception, yes, but when it comes to the new generation, bands who play that particular brand of the style are almost nonexistent, hence the highlightning of Vektor in that particular regard (that, and the fact that they're badass).

I think that what The_Erlking meant is that newer thrash fans aren't aware of the whole reality and choose to believe that Vektor are unique beyond the revival aspect of their music. Which they aren't actually.

I can't comment fully on their quality because I've never listened that much to them, probably due to the above factor. It's odd really but how many of us have averted listening to certain new bands which are idolized beyond reason?! I'll tackle them eventually but that will happen when I feel the need for a prog/tech thrash binge again, which could be any time from tomorrow to a year from now.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 pm 

Exactly. And I wholly understand that this is my own problem and I might eventually get over it. Sometimes it's better to take your own time with music even if it means ignoring it for silly reasons for some time but hey as a human being could I even approach new things in a purely objective manner?
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

kurtangler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:05 am 

Thanks TheIbexMoon666 :)

If any of you guys like Thrash Metal with a slight Technical, Experimental and Progressive edge.. Feel free to check out Sanity Obscure (SG)'s new album Subterranean Constellation which is available digitally on Bandcamp here : http://sanityobscuresg.bandcamp.com/

Guest appearances include Kevin Hufnagel (Gorguts, Dysrhythmia) and Bruce Lamont (Yakuza).

I would say that the style done by Sanity Obscure (SG) could be for fans of bands like Coroner, Vektor, Voivod and more :)

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
kurtangler wrote:
Sanity Obscure (SG) has just released the album "Subterranean Constellation" for digital download on Bandcamp. If you like the music, you can purchase individual tracks ($1.20 USD) or the full album ($8.00) from the Bandcamp page here : http://sanityobscuresg.bandcamp.com/

This band and album is said to be for fans of Voivod, Nocturnus, Pestilence, Anacrusis, Atheist, Death and many more. If you like a blend of Technical Thrash Metal with experimental touches, moods of space and sheer intensity, you might like this release.

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
Just checked these guys out. I ended up downloading the album for 8 bucks. All though I much rather get my hands on a physical copy. Sanity Obscure definitely have a Pestilence vibe to their riffs. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:13 am 

You already advertised the band in the last fricken page! Use this: viewforum.php?f=9

kurtangler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:25 am 

Thanks, The_Erking.

On another note, I am wondering if anyone knows where I could get albums by this band, Protector?

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:33 am 

If you mean the german Protector then discogs is a good place to start if you don't mind used copies: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Protector+(4)

kurtangler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:42 am 

Thanks. I will keep the link in mind.

I think Protector's "Golem" was a classic release! Another German release to recommend is Deathrow's "Deception Ignored".

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:40 am 

Metallica discussions might have been done to death but after listen to ...And Justice for All again I'd say it's really not bad. Cut off the titled track, ''Eye of the Beholder'' and ''To Live is to Die'' and you've got a solid album.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:48 am 

What? Noooo! The title track and Eye of the Beholder are among my favourites on it. It's the B-side of the album that is lacking in some respect. Still probably my second favourite Metallica album right after Ride the Lightning.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:13 am 

Dunno, I found those songs to be lacking quality riffs.

And I might be in the minority here, but I think Metallica's debut is the best they've ever done. Just fun, raw energetic thrash. The thrash metal songs on Ride... are good, sure, but the rest really doesn't do much for me honesty.

Slayer's Hell Awaits is another album I've been listening to a lot lately. It's probably my favourite. While Show No Mercy was straightfoward catchy NWOBHM influenced thrash metal this one focuses more on atmosphere and I think they really nailed it here. Every track is a classic on this one.

SexyPig
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

That's pretty cool. Thanks.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:58 am 

kurtangler wrote:
On another note, I am wondering if anyone knows where I could get albums by this band, Protector?

Watch out for the sea of bootlegs that goes around, avoid sellers from Russia. ;)

Framentanz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:42 am 

I'm rather new to the trash genre, yet I happen to really like Sepultura's Schizophrenia and Arise; furthermore I enjoy Metallica's Kill 'Em All.
I'm aware of bands like Kreator but they never really struck my nerve.

Any recommendations based upon this?

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:28 pm 

Framentanz wrote:
I'm rather new to the trash genre, yet I happen to really like Sepultura's Schizophrenia and Arise; furthermore I enjoy Metallica's Kill 'Em All.

Many of these may be obvious, but I'll throw them out there anyway, based on the info you've given so far:

Destruction - Infernal Overkill, Eternal Devastation
Sodom - Obsessed By Cruelty, Persecution Mania, etc.
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Deathrow - Riders Of Doom, Raging Steel
Slayer - Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood
Death Angel - The Ultraviolence
Sacrifice - Torment In Fire, Forward To Termination
Possessed - Seven Churches, Beyond The Gates, The Eyes Of Horror

outerisolation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:48 pm 

Framentanz wrote:

Oops, edit fail.

Anyway, listen to Nailbomb's Point Blank, Sarcofago's I.N.R.I., and Gladiator's Dreadful Dreams album.

Last edited by outerisolation on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:00 pm 

Framentanz wrote:

Seems you might enjoy more riff-centric thrash that's aggressive at the same time. Try Vio-Lence, Paradox, Exodus, Demolition Hammer, early Destruction.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:25 am 

SexyPig wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

That's pretty cool. Thanks.

Glad you dig it!

Mk3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 am 

Hey, how're you doing? I'm looking for blackened thrash with lots of energy and fucking incredible riffs. You know, Toxic Holocaust, Nocturnal Graves, that kind of stuff. I'd love a Satan's Cross kind of production. You know, some powerful shit. So, you know what I'm talking about, any ideas?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:29 am 

Mk3 wrote:
Hey, how're you doing? I'm looking for blackened thrash with lots of energy and fucking incredible riffs. You know, Toxic Holocaust, Nocturnal Graves, that kind of stuff. I'd love a Satan's Cross kind of production. You know, some powerful shit. So, you know what I'm talking about, any ideas?

You definately should check out Necromantheon's "Rise, Vulcan Spectre", an awsome slab of brutality! Chile's Necroripper (what is it with these bands and Necro lol) have just released their debut album, I sort of get an old Sepultura vibe from it though I need to give it a more in-depth listen.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:40 pm 

The German Nocturnal and Desaster would be right up your alley. Assaulter would probably be a good pick also, although they're not as extreme.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:38 pm 

Two bands that seemed to have short but potent bouts of popularity here that could fit that style are Ketzer and Hellcannon. I personally find them both a tad overrated but they're both good regardless.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:42 pm 

Cruel Force is the best of this bunch, The Rise of Satanic Might is perfect.

Framentanz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:04 pm 

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Got quite a listening pensum now.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:15 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Cruel Force is the best of this bunch, The Rise of Satanic Might is perfect.

Damn Metantoine you know your blackened thrash, this is yet another band I now have to check out :thumbsup:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:18 pm 

Thanks :) This is the only thrash I'm listening these days along with Vektor.

I made a black/thrash podcast for those barely interested: http://papabear.podomatic.com/

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:48 pm 

Excoriate might also be worth looking into.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:24 pm 

Mk3 wrote:

The first album by Hellish Crossfire should be right up your alley. Pity the second one put me to sleep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrj9ng4R ... 951358FD60

Nifelheim is a must listen for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1HjCe8NcZ0

Ketzer's debut is awesome and sounds similar to Desaster which is probably my favorite black/thrash band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tannEi0FYq8

Desaster sounds exactly like you want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqBxdRR9kMc

Hellcannon is great and sounds like a bit more brutal and less Exploited sounding Toxic Holocaust though there are plenty of moments where the riffs scream Toxic Holocaust. They also copied their logo who copied Sarcofago. Just tell me the riff at 1:08 doesn't scream Toxic Holocaust!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGJVMH1UrOY

Blasphemous Creation I haven't heard about in quite some time but they are really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8qr9v2ffM

Cruel Force's debut is excellent and has some more traditional metal moments in there that keep the riffs really upbeat and catchy. Leather and Metal is a perfect example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x9_OWSOj44

Evil Army is fantastic for any fan of Toxic Holocaust. I wouldn't quite go so far as calling them black/thrash but they are a bit blackened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCFFV0lZDBs

Witchhaven is one of the better black/thrash bands around and reminds me of an early Destruction (stuff like Sentence of Death). Skinned Alive is a great song though you may want to avoid watching the video as it is just clips of animal cruelty in a way of promoting how it needs to stop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BOyCxU_9AM

The first album of Lightning Swords of Death is good. I picked up their second album and was very disappointed. May be a little to close to Scandinavian black metal for you though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjW9rS7ylVY

OLD is another one you may like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLC6j6kvxMM

Trench Hell is great if you are looking for a mix of Venom and Celtic Frost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWnB1YUlgwI

Inferno is cool as well with the rock n' roll Motorhead vibe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnZUfZXDZHs

And how could I almost forget Nocturnal Breed? Right up your alley. Another one with that Motorhead vibe with the riffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVDJOF1CseA

Power from Hell is a very good early Bathory clone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPql1YNO_FM

Vomitor is from the same scene as Nocturnal Graves. Australia has a great scene for this stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DoJKo8 ... re=related

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:11 pm 

I just discovered Sabbat (Jpn) Wow! how have I missed this great band. Do you guys consider them "thrash" or "black"?
And what is their best release?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:30 pm 

According to their M-A page, they're both! And their best release seems to be a tie between The Dwelling and Sabbatrinity.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:51 am 

So I'm looking for thrash that has a very evident NWOBHM influence but a pinch of death would be appreciated as well, early Sadus and Possessed have several songs between them that are exactly what I'm looking for, also Slayer's first two are pretty close.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:31 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
So I'm looking for thrash that has a very evident NWOBHM influence but a pinch of death would be appreciated as well, early Sadus and Possessed have several songs between them that are exactly what I'm looking for, also Slayer's first two are pretty close.

Definitely Insane (Ita). They released one album and it is very much Show no Mercy Worship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En_5djHS3dY

Early Destruction is a good one as well. Check out the Sentence of Death EP. I'm listening to Total Desaster right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDI2jfNiOOM

Deathrow's Riders of Doom is another teutonic thrash band with a NWOBHM influence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kzt9p77-OM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 136  Next